Too many choices?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you prefer?

• One acceptance to a good school.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Three acceptances to good schools with no clear-cut favorite between them.

Votes: 80 65.0%

• Total voters

GeniusofLove

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which scenario would you prefer: one acceptance at a good school or three acceptances to good schools with no clear-cut favorite?

I've been reading an interesting book about decision-making called The Paradox of Choice. It has made me curious to see how many people think its better to have multiple acceptances with no clear-cut favorite and each school having some advantage over the others, ie. cost, location, curriculum, prestige, or how many would prefer to get one very acceptable acceptance that might save a lot of the heartache of choosing one school over another.

Members don't see this ad.

I probably prefer a modified scenario somewhere between the two. I like the idea of picking between a small number, say two, very acceptable options. I'd feel like I was able to make an informed choice, weighing the pros and cons of each, rather than going through the agony of second guessing and self-doubt, or the other extreme, having my fate decided by the schools.

Edit: now it's a poll, so I'll pick one--I'd go with choice in the end, since as I told my friend who entered last year with many great choices, this is what we call, "good stress".

People would always complain about having a hard choice, but I'm sure it's a choice everyone wants to make.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice poll. I was, in all honesty, going to post a thread about how I kinda wish I would only end up with one acceptance, so that I didn't have to live with the fact that my life could have been better had I simply made a different choice.

I would prefer to have choices like most of the respondants so far, though if I had only one I could not regret the choice I made as easily. I was also thinking about how current and former med students might feel about their choices depending on how many acceptances they had, so I opened a poll in the allopathic forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=370737

Even though I know that I would be HAPPIER with less choice (you won't obsess over every little negative, wondering if your other choices might not have had those negatives), I'd still want more than one acceptance.

Although, part of this is because I wouldn't want to be constantly rejected and then freak out until that ONE acceptance comes. If I got accepted by more than one, most likely I'd be fairly calm after just the first acceptance :D

So I guess if my very first notice was an acceptance, then I'd be more OK with everything else being a rejection, so long as the schools are all comparable otherwise (location being a big deal for me).

I guess it's like marriage, you might end up being happier in an arranged marriage, but most people still opt for the choice, even if it'll make them more miserable in the end, and even if a lot of people make craptacular choices that end in divorce. Really, the trick is to have choice, but believe that you didn't have a choice and look at the positives instead of obsessing over negatives.

So...once you've figured out which of the 3 you think is best, convince yourself that you were in fact rejected from the other 2, lol. Perhaps a few sesions of hypnotherapy will help convince you of this.

Same thing for your marriage. After finding the perfect girl and asking her to marry you (and having her say yes obviously), have a hypnotherapist convince the both of you that your marriage is arranged, but that you happened to get along decently. That way you'll have no choice really.

either option..as long as theres one acceptance, u know ur going to med school...

I bought the book yesterday. I'm a maximizer.

I bought the book yesterday. I'm a maximizer.

Its an interesting concept. The book has made quite an impression on me and influenced me to pay closer attention to my decision-making.