NYCOM Waitlisted... 2011 Who else? Wait List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorman

TouroCOM-NY
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I searched and could not find another Waitlisters thread here for class of 2011 of NYCOM, So I assume I am the first one.

Interviewed on Feb 1st
Decision on Feb 16, 2007

It was funny since the interview went very well and my hope were really high..

Anyone else in this club or am I alone here...?:scared:

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

I searched and could not find another Waitlisters thread here for class of 2011 of NYCOM, So I assume I am the first one.

Interviewed on Feb 1st
Decision on Feb 16, 2007

It was funny since the interview went very well and my hope were really high..

Anyone else in this club or am I alone here...?:scared:

Any advice?

didn't you see a thread about this that's practically high up on the 1st page?

didn't you see a thread about this that's practically high up on the 1st page?

No I don't!
the older thred is from 2006 for 2010 class. correct me if I am wrong or post a link here. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
No I don't!
the older thred is from 2006 for 2010 class. correct me if I am wrong or post a link here. thanks

You are right. You are the first on SDN to get waitlisted for 2007. I searched and only saw 2006 waitlists. The good new is, most of them get off from the waitlist.

Hopefully, you will get accepted as well. Good luck.

You are right. You are the first on SDN to get waitlisted for 2007. I searched and only saw 2006 waitlists. The good new is, most of them get off from the waitlist.

Hopefully, you will get accepted as well. Good luck.

MCATT I belive you are 2010 class..right?
Do you know if all the waitlisters were accepted or not last year?
the year before it everyone got in... to the best of my knowledge

MCATT I belive you are 2010 class..right?
Do you know if all the waitlisters were accepted or not last year?
the year before it everyone got in... to the best of my knowledge

he he... No. I am the class of 2011.
I was reading every post about NYCOM on SDN and that's how I saw those posts. Anyway, I think there were two person that got off from the waitlist.
Not so sure though.

Based on my experience, few people from NYCOM post on SDN. IT's kind of weird, but maybe New Yorkers don't have much spare time. :D

I was interviewed on Feb. 1st and got accepted....did you interview in the am or pm session?

Hey I was as far as I know the first person from 2010 to be waitlisted. I posted everything I could about it here to try to help future waitlisters: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=261268

Yeah it really sucks to get waitlisted. I think I was one of the first to be taken off the waitlist and I heard of people in my class being taken off like a day or two before classes started. It seems there were quite a few of us taken off the list so don't panic. Read what I wrote in the thread from last year and call Taryn Croot if you want to find out all the details.

Good luck!

I was interviewed on Feb. 1st and got accepted....did you interview in the am or pm session?

I was in the PM session.

who was the interviewer the lady or the guy?

I dont think they care about interview much.. The lady interviewing me said you got the golden star at the end I was so hopping that means acceptance but I guess I was wrong.

Hey I was as far as I know the first person from 2010 to be waitlisted. I posted everything I could about it here to try to help future waitlisters: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=261268

Yeah it really sucks to get waitlisted. I think I was one of the first to be taken off the waitlist and I heard of people in my class being taken off like a day or two before classes started. It seems there were quite a few of us taken off the list so don't panic. Read what I wrote in the thread from last year and call Taryn Croot if you want to find out all the details.

Good luck!

Thanks Jason I read all you wrote. I will get more LOR and write my own letter and will stalk them.

Do you know how it will effect the financial Aid and loans? isnt a day before school too late for those?

I still have my hopes high since to the best of my knowledge they only put the strongest candidates on the list and I have over 90% chance so I will try my best. Can I join any research program now? how would I find them?

Thanks Jason I read all you wrote. I will get more LOR and write my own letter and will stalk them.

Do you know how it will effect the financial Aid and loans? isnt a day before school too late for those?

I still have my hopes high since to the best of my knowledge they only put the strongest candidates on the list and I have over 90% chance so I will try my best. Can I join any research program now? how would I find them?

As far as Fin Aid goes you should be fine...They kept telling me that you'll have enough time no matter when you're accepted, but call them just to be sure. We didn't get our money until the middle/end of september if I remember correctly.

I can't believe the woman told you you had the gold star and then got waitlisted. Do you remember her name or what she looked like??

As far as Fin Aid goes you should be fine...They kept telling me that you'll have enough time no matter when you're accepted, but call them just to be sure. We didn't get our money until the middle/end of september if I remember correctly.

I can't believe the woman told you you had the gold star and then got waitlisted. Do you remember her name or what she looked like??

yup weird..
I guess her name was Dr. Sheflin. I even sent a nice thank you note after.

Jason, another question...

Do you need to buy books for Med school before the start day of school?
Do you guys buy your books online for cheaper or is it all on notes and slides?
Is there anyway to prepare for the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jason, another question...

Do you need to buy books for Med school before the start day of school?
Do you guys buy your books online for cheaper or is it all on notes and slides?
Is there anyway to prepare for the school?

They recommended that we buy one book and familiarized ourselves with it....Bate's Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking 9th Ed. It's basically what the titel says, but we found that there was really no advantage to 'familiarizing' ourselves with it since we didn't start using it for a few weeks. All your other books- absolutely WAIT. You are going to hear 10,000 different people say different things about the books. Most people say don't buy all of them, wait and buy them as you need them (I'm pretty sure they're all in the liabrary for free, too). I went ahead and ordered every single book on the required list and a few on the recommended and spent well over $2,000. All together I have about 30-35 textbooks in my room and I use about 5 of them frequently and another 2-3 every once in a while....yeah, i shouldn't have bought them all but atleast they make me look smart when my friends come over!! Absolutely buy your books online...you will save a lot of money....look on all the big sites: Borders, B&N, Amazon, etc...With B&N you can buy a $25 membership and then save like 20% or something on all purchases which is absolutely worth it when you're spending thousands of dollars.

99% of our lectures are powerpoint presentations and the notes are available to us before hand 85% of the time. There is a policy that up to 25% of the test material can come from the required readings but its never that much.

As for what you can do to prepare...RELAX. You will seriously find yourself with zero free time 2 weeks into school. The major problem with med school is time management since time is so limited and valuable like you have no idea! Be sure your friends and family understand that you won't be seeing or talking to them for weeks at a time. Take the summer off if possible, go to the beach, and do nothing academic!!

They recommended that we buy one book and familiarized ourselves with it....Bate's Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking 9th Ed. It's basically what the titel says, but we found that there was really no advantage to 'familiarizing' ourselves with it since we didn't start using it for a few weeks. All your other books- absolutely WAIT. You are going to hear 10,000 different people say different things about the books. Most people say don't buy all of them, wait and buy them as you need them (I'm pretty sure they're all in the liabrary for free, too). I went ahead and ordered every single book on the required list and a few on the recommended and spent well over $2,000. All together I have about 30-35 textbooks in my room and I use about 5 of them frequently and another 2-3 every once in a while....yeah, i shouldn't have bought them all but atleast they make me look smart when my friends come over!! Absolutely buy your books online...you will save a lot of money....look on all the big sites: Borders, B&N, Amazon, etc...With B&N you can buy a $25 membership and then save like 20% or something on all purchases which is absolutely worth it when you're spending thousands of dollars.

99% of our lectures are powerpoint presentations and the notes are available to us before hand 85% of the time. There is a policy that up to 25% of the test material can come from the required readings but its never that much.

As for what you can do to prepare...RELAX. You will seriously find yourself with zero free time 2 weeks into school. The major problem with med school is time management since time is so limited and valuable like you have no idea! Be sure your friends and family understand that you won't be seeing or talking to them for weeks at a time. Take the summer off if possible, go to the beach, and do nothing academic!!

that was a lot of info thanks..
1. How do you know which books you really need so you can buy it.. b/c it takes a while for the books to get to you when you order the onilne.. so I guess you should buy it a week or 2 before you need them..

2. what did you while you were on the waiting list? did you have any hope for any other school?

for me is basically NYCOM or nothing till the next year.. and I am ready to do everything possible to get in. I am going around and asking any doctor I see for a LOR..
I dont have any research on my CV how can I add one?

1. How do you know which books you really need so you can buy it.. b/c it takes a while for the books to get to you when you order the onilne.. so I guess you should buy it a week or 2 before you need them..

2. what did you while you were on the waiting list? did you have any hope for any other school?

for me is basically NYCOM or nothing till the next year.. and I am ready to do everything possible to get in. I am going around and asking any doctor I see for a LOR..

Its tuff figuring out what books you need...don't worry about it until school starts. I was in the same situation as you, no one else showed me any lovin. I really can't tell you what to do other than what i did and is in that other thread.

Ha! I am probably the first person to be waitlisted from nycom for this cycle on SDN. I interviewed in early November (from NY) and was waitlisted sometime in January. I dont' remember exactly when. I plan on going in there, and handing Taryn a letter of intent sometime in April. I assumed my chances were high for an acceptance due to the early interview, yea right! Honestly I don't think the interview is as important as some people think it is. Obviously you can't bomb it, but I think they still hold your stats on paper as the most influencial part. So much of it is luck!!!!! For instance my mcat is the weakest part of my app, but I got an interview at umdnj which I was astonished at. Don't worry doctorman I hope you get in off the list. I am hoping I get off of it to, but if it doesn't happen oh well.

Fill out FAFSA now and put NYCOM and other schools on there.

BOOKS

Don't buy everything on the MANDATORY reading list NYCOM sends out.

visit the Step 1/ Comlex 1 forums, osteopathic forum, and allopathic forums. Do a search on each subject and you will see what people say about particular books for each subject. I did this and had my core study books before school started. Personally I like texts that read like prose (i.e. STARS physiology, Robbins, neuroanatomy through clincal cases, etc.) and review books (RR Path, BRS physio, First aid, etc.).

Amazon is also ok for reviews.

First week of school you can look at books in the library and see if it fits your needs. You can also browse in the bookstore.

don't be afraid to buy more books than you need. If you take care of them you can easily resell them back for 80%+ of the original cost.

I'm still trying to decide on a pharm and biochem book. I have 3 pharm books, 2 biochem books, and I have 1 biochem book checked out that I am looking over.

ask upperclassmen but don't guy buying their bookcase. :laugh:

:luck:

I just interviewed yesterday. Seeing that someone with a 31 mcat from last application cycle got waitlisted (but finally accepted), I guess I'm kind of worried. I thought the interview went well, but the interviewer asked me more questions about my hobbies than anything else. It was really short too. I noticed it was also pretty short for the other people there as well. The students that gave us the tour said that 95% of people interviewing get in. I know this had to be inflated (95%!?!?!?). I don't like this waiting part. What was your interview experience like? What were your stats? I'm not really sure what's competitive at NYCOM, but from looking at mdapps it seems like the mcat mean is a 27. I got a 28 and had a 3.7 gpa, but man, I'm scared. The school was rockin', I really want to go.

I just interviewed yesterday. Seeing that someone with a 31 mcat from last application cycle got waitlisted (but finally accepted), I guess I'm kind of worried. I thought the interview went well, but the interviewer asked me more questions about my hobbies than anything else. It was really short too. I noticed it was also pretty short for the other people there as well. The students that gave us the tour said that 95% of people interviewing get in. I know this had to be inflated (95%!?!?!?). I don't like this waiting part. What was your interview experience like? What were your stats? I'm not really sure what's competitive at NYCOM, but from looking at mdapps it seems like the mcat mean is a 27. I got a 28 and had a 3.7 gpa, but man, I'm scared. The school was rockin', I really want to go.

From what I gather, it's more like roughly 2/3 of the people that interview get in--which is still rather high.

May your numbers dwindle quickly!!!

Don't worry...I had a 25 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA...I guess I have a good personality. HAHA!! Good luck! Let me know how it goes. I guess I prove it isn't all paper. Hope to see you in the fall!!

Fill out FAFSA now and put NYCOM and other schools on there.

Last year when I was placed on the waitlist I was told by financial aid not to fill one out until I got accepted. I'd call them to double check.

Ha! I am probably the first person to be waitlisted from nycom for this cycle on SDN. I interviewed in early November (from NY) and was waitlisted sometime in January. I dont' remember exactly when. I plan on going in there, and handing Taryn a letter of intent sometime in April. I assumed my chances were high for an acceptance due to the early interview, yea right! Honestly I don't think the interview is as important as some people think it is. Obviously you can't bomb it, but I think they still hold your stats on paper as the most influencial part. So much of it is luck!!!!! For instance my mcat is the weakest part of my app, but I got an interview at umdnj which I was astonished at. Don't worry doctorman I hope you get in off the list. I am hoping I get off of it to, but if it doesn't happen oh well.

No you are the second person right after me..lol

My interview went very well too and I think they dont look at the interview much. I really like to know how much they look at the interview and how much of an effect does the intervierwer has.

does any one know what percentage is wait listed and
what percentage of the waiting list is accepted usually (last years)?

Waitlisted here too.... should I send in my GRE scores and Fall's transcript?

Also waitlisted at
Touro
LECOM

FAFSA allows you 6 schools. This is specifically due to the fact that while a student may attend one or two schools during the year, they may have applied to more schools. Better safe and early than late and stressing about finances when you should be excited about starting medical school. Also, if you apply early in the cycle, sometimes more funds can become available to you.

Yep. I got waitlisted.

with a 28 and 3.7, I can't believe you got waitlisted.
What was NYCOM thinking...! :thumbdown:
are you from out of state? because i have friends from NY with slightly higher GPA, but lower mcat got in.

Anyway, I am sure you will get off from the waitlist. I wish you my best luck! :luck:

Yep. I got waitlisted.

:( I'm sorry. That sucks. *HUG* I thought you would get in with your stats. IDIOTS! :mad: Well, on the positive side, you weren't rejected and a lot of people will get taken off of waitlists. I have known of many people at various schools that got off the waitlists and are enrolled in those schools now. I guess you could send them a letter of intent or something. Either way, I am sure you will end up where you belong. I really believe that everything happens for a reason. Just hang in there.:luck: :love:

The same for everyone else too. Just hang in there! Good luck!!! :luck: :love:

I'm a NY resident. I must have really bummed out my interviewer or something. If I can think of anything that may have reflected poorly on me it is that I would be working as a physician in the navy after graduation. It was almost as if he was trying to change my mind. It was kind of weird and it felt unprofessonal. Also, I asked him about research opportunities at the school and he said there are none and I wouldn't have enough time or want to anyway. I'm sure you know there ARE research opportunities at NYCOM. This caught me off guard. I just kind of looked at him like, "uhhhhhh....." He is a preceptor for the school and a previous grad. Another strange thing, when asking me about specialty, I said I was interested in primary care, planning to do IM in the Navy, followed by an additional residency in Aerospace Medicine. He then said I should worry about getting through school first. Yah. Weird. Why did he ask me?

So if the interview had any bearing on my admissions decision, I'm pretty disappointed. I almost wanted to call the school the next day after the interview to express my concern, but then that would probably assure not getting accepted. Too bad. Big disappointment here.

There are research opportunities at NYCOM!!! My interviewer told me there are many. He also told me about who he is and what kind of research he does. I told him I am NOT interested in primary care, I am interested in trauma or transplant surgery, he told me that about 45% of NYCOM people are specializing so if i'll chose the school i will not regret... I am sorry about your interview experience...my interviewer was weird but at least he was friendly. Your interviewer probably had a bad day or something....Good luck to you.:luck: :luck: :luck:

:( I'm sorry. That sucks. *HUG* I thought you would get in with your stats. IDIOTS! :mad: Well, on the positive side, you weren't rejected and a lot of people will get taken off of waitlists. I have known of many people at various schools that got off the waitlists and are enrolled in those schools now. I guess you could send them a letter of intent or something. Either way, I am sure you will end up where you belong. I really believe that everything happens for a reason. Just hang in there.:luck: :love:

The same for everyone else too. Just hang in there! Good luck!!! :luck: :love:

This is nice avatar...Where did you find that picture I love horses!!!:):):)

There are research opportunities at NYCOM!!! My interviewer told me there are many. He also told me about who he is and what kind of research he does. I told him I am NOT interested in primary care, I am interested in trauma or transplant surgery, he told me that about 45% of NYCOM people are specializing so if i'll chose the school i will not regret...

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Don't worry waitlisters...they normally take a lot of people off the list. I had MUCH lower stats that you MCATT and I got in off the list. Just keep showing them love and they should show you some come June.

JasonUD - Why did you spend so much money on books? Your upper classmates must be a bit wacky if they even told you to get anything. I usually tell the underclassmen to only get anatomy books and nothing else. But that's just me.

Doctorman - DONT worry about financial aid and stuff. I think that should be the last on your mind. Plus, my friend pays late all the time, the school threatens you with this and that but it's really BS. They are pretty good with waitlisting though. And yes... they do accept about 75% of the people they interview, not sure if the criteria has changed. NYCOM does stuff really slow, and I do mean REALLLLY SLOW. I still get into arguments with the staff through emails every now and then because they are slow with paper work stuff. But I wouldn't suggest you start to do that just yet. =)

On another note, it is very funny how everyone has all these "odd" specialties they want to go into, esp 1st year when you talk to all the students from NYCOM and they all speak so highly but in the end... 50%-60% of the class goes into internal medicine, family practice, pediatrics.

However, for those that want to do odd specialties, dont be afraid. One of my friend matched in neurosurgery at manhasset, so whoever is from the area knows that manhasset is a really good hospital. A lot of my other friends are doing Orthopedics, anesthesia, radiology, etc. etc. Hope that encourages some of you.

JasonUD - Why did you spend so much money on books? Your upper classmates must be a bit wacky if they even told you to get anything. I usually tell the underclassmen to only get anatomy books and nothing else. But that's just me.

No most of them said to wait to buy the books but I went ahead and bought all of them anyway on the list. What's another $2k in the hole on books when you're going to graduate with over $200k in loans??!!...I think i've been saying that too much lately...:eek: :eek: :eek:...but atleast all my non-med school friends think I look really smart when they come over and see a wall of text books in my room! :laugh:

Ok guys, who can tell me when we're supposed to find out about a change in status regarding the waitlist? What has happened in the past? I'm debating some research opportunities at NYU / Columbia and don't want to sign a lease for housing until I know what's up. Isn't the med school application process awesome?

Jason, when did you become our official liaison to sdn? You def give some good advice though, preety impressive. Whoever had Schefilin for their interview, you prob had Karen Scheflin, she is really really nice and I bet you she thought you were going to get in or else she wouldn't have said anything. As you know, the adcom makes hte final decisson and may be they felt differently. If you are waitlisted in March you are 95% in, if you are waitlisted in June, start praying. Good luck!

Hey guys, I interviewed the end of January and was waitlisted. Does anyone know when they will begin pulling off the waitlist?

Hey just wanted to share in your pain...I had what I thought was a great interview in mid march...I was waitlisted about 3 weeks later. My interview was only for twenty minutes or so..we talked about my extra currics and research mostly...and at the end my interviewer said that I was going to make a great doctor and that she hoped to see me come fall...and then three weeks later I was waitlisted...talk about a big bummer...I know its the committee that makes the decision...but ouch! my stats are 3.48/27...not stellar but I thought my research/campus involvment would stand in my favor...I guess not...

Also...a friend of mine that is a student at NYCOM told me that she was waitlisted about the same time as me (she has even higher statistics) and she was taken off the list in July. So let's cross our fingers and wait. Now I just have to send NYCOM a letter of interest and keep showing them the love...

Gluck to all of you in the same crappy boat as me....hehe I hope that we get taken off of this list eventually!!!

Now I just have to send NYCOM a letter of interest and keep showing them the love...

That's exactly what you need to do! I was waitlisted last year in January (see the link near the top of the thread with what I did last year) with lower stats than you and showed them a ton of lovin' and I got accepted the first week of June. Stay optimistic and be sure to send them a few letters and to call now and then saying how much you love them!! If you do call, I wouldn't call the regular admissions phone number that the secretaries answer, I'd call Taryn Croot or Rodika Zaika directly.

Just got my waitlist letter today. :(
This is the only school that I want to go to - what should I do? Do I 'wait' or are you guys sending letters and boxes of chocolates? :laugh:

I'm a 'Miss' now! :thumbup: Too bad you can't change your username....

I guess they will start the waitlist around May. it is such a killing wait!

Does any one know a dean or some kind of connection that can help me in?

I guess they will start the waitlist around May. it is such a killing wait!

Does any one know a dean or some kind of connection that can help me in?

Did you try to send a letter of interest?

I hand delivered one back in Feb. Should I keep sending in more?
who is the best person to call any direct number?
What is the best way of asking them?

Hi,

I'm a new member to the SDN.
Anyway just adding my situation in to the forums. I have also been waitlisted at NYCOM and recieved that decision on Apr 10. My interview was in late March so the the letter came just shy of 4 weeks. I'm really hoping that i get taken off the list eventually. I sent in the response letter immediately and with the mail situation, being around tax day, i'm going to give them a call tomorrow to see if they recieved it yet.

-Spencer

I've found the easiest way of dealing with the uncertainty of being on a waiting list is to ignore it and pretend like you didn't even apply to medical school. I've relegated myself to continuing my job doing HIV research at NYU and getting ready to apply again in June (early this time, NOT december!). This way, if I get accepted this summer, it'll just be an excellent surprise.

I can't imagine sending multiple letters of intent would be anything less than annoying to the admissions office. We've all kind of poured our hearts out in at least one, they're well aware. I feel like if NYCOM didn't want me the first time around, albeit late, it wasn't meant to be. It doesn't mean you're a failure or somethings wrong with you, there are just too many qualified applicants. The difference between you and someone who got in is oftentimes indistinguishable. If it doesn't happen for me, I'll try again next year. I'll have my eyes on NYCOM, but I'll have more options for schools.

Taking a year or two off between undergrad and medical school is not a disaster. I feel like it really broadens one's perspective on things and helps one to better understand why they want to be a physician. There are lots of career options available to intelligent people, many of which have better perks, better pay, less stress, less education. If you still want to be a doctor after exploring other options, you're a step ahead of most MS1's right out of undergrad. I've met many a med student who wished they had tried other things first. Just something to consider. Don't worry about the waitlist. If you don't get accepted, apply next year and you'll get in.

I am NOT bummed out AT ALL!! Got my waitlist letter in the mail today. Regradless, I know in my heart there is a seat/place from me in the class of 2011 at NYCOM. Question is, how do I get it? I read all the previous thread information you all (especially Jason) put up here at SDN (thanks, by the way). Precisely, how did you "show them alot of love"? I'm afraid 'too much love' might rub them the wrong way. As for me, I can be charming but, what do I say to Ms. Croot to let her know of my sincere interest? You know, its weird. When I was there the day of my interview, I truly felt like I 'belonged' there (yes, kinda sappy but, its the truth). I had a good interview -- albeit short, sweet and to the point. I sent in all my letters of rec. with one of them being from a DO grad of NYCOM (that story is truly amazing, if you care to hear it). What other letters can I provide? What precisely should my ltr. of intent really say? What magical phrases should I incorporate so that the admissions office knows I'm sincere about getting into THIS school?? HELP...SOS....Ahhhh!!!:smuggrin:

Thanks in advance!! :D :D

That's exactly what you need to do! I was waitlisted last year in January (see the link near the top of the thread with what I did last year) with lower stats than you and showed them a ton of lovin' and I got accepted the first week of June. Stay optimistic and be sure to send them a few letters and to call now and then saying how much you love them!! If you do call, I wouldn't call the regular admissions phone number that the secretaries answer, I'd call Taryn Croot or Rodika Zaika directly.