GWU Waiting List: A new email update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shejeboshease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
all this time, i was thinking that GWU would let us know whether we're in the high or low priority in their waiting list. the email that i received today doesn't say anything about the ranking in the waiting list.
here is a portion of that email:

"The alternate list is very fluid and organic. You are in a pool of alternates. Please note, it is impossible to specify your standing in this alternate pool. Should a place for you become available, you will, if you have appropriately apprised us of your continuing interest, be informed by telephone or e-mail. The alternate pool remains viable until close to orientation in August."

I was wondering if anyone received an email with a high priority ranking status? please share if you have any new information. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

all this time, i was thinking that GWU would let us know whether we're in the high or low priority in their waiting list. the email that i received today doesn't say anything about the ranking in the waiting list.

"The alternate list is very fluid and organic. You are in a pool of alternates. Please note, it is impossible to specify your standing in this alternate pool. Should a place for you become available, you will, if you have appropriately apprised us of your continuing interest, be informed by telephone or e-mail. The alternate pool remains viable until close to orientation in August."

I was wondering if anyone received an email with a high priority ranking status? please share if you have any new information. thanks

Didnt apply to GWU but the is a good message. I think you should show strong interest and you will have a good chance. Congrats and good luck

When did you get this email? I didn't get this... The last thing I got from GW was a letter back in October telling me I'm on the alternate list...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got this e-mail from GWU as well. No mention of being high priority, though. Either I'm not on it, or there isn't a high priority list. My intuition tells me the former! :(

When did you get this email? I didn't get this... The last thing I got from GW was a letter back in October telling me I'm on the alternate list...

I interviewed in november and haven't received any email either. Maybe it is for recent interviewees waiting on decisions because the phrasing sounds similar to my original waitlist letter. Also, I was under the impression they did things mostly by snail mail?

i didnt get an email either..i interveiwed in dec.

is it still possible to get direct acceptance into gw?

I interviewed in november and haven't received any email either. Maybe it is for recent interviewees waiting on decisions because the phrasing sounds similar to my original waitlist letter. Also, I was under the impression they did things mostly by snail mail?

nuh, i interviewed in september, and was waitlisted in october.

i interviewed in feb, got the paper alternate letter and then this generic e-mail message today. i haven't heard or seen of a high priority list.

I interviewed in Dec, got the paper alternate letter and have also been waiting to hear about ranking. I did not get the email either...something seems a little fishy here...

the "whole fluid and organic" thing is the regular waitlist (not the top of the list), if it's working the same as it did last year. if you get in the top pool, it will explicitly say that you are in a small group at the top of the alternate list. no worries though, i have friends in my class who were on the regular list and still eventually got in. best of luck.

I just got the generic alternate email at 4:30pm. I interviewed early October. I wonder if everyone on the alternate list will get this email eventually? weird...

Also, do you guys think that they're saying they won't start pulling people off the alternate list until May 15, or do you think they'll possilbly pull people off before that as long as we confirm our interest? Here's the relevant text:

The AAMC guidelines state that an applicant may only hold one seat after May 15, 2007. You can find this information on applicant responsibilities on the AAMC website. After that date we may have some seats available.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the generic alternate email at 4:30pm. I interviewed early October. I wonder if everyone on the alternate list will get this email eventually? weird...

Also, do you guys think that they're saying they won't start pulling people off the alternate list until May 15, or do you think they'll possilbly pull people off before that as long as we confirm our interest? Here's the relevant text:

did anyone receive the high priority ranking ? or that they are in the small pool of waitlisted?

Can someone post the entire email? Maybe they are sending it in waves, or alphabetically or something.

If you are on high priority, are you GUARANTEED to get in?

from the few ppl on this thread, the ones who got the email received alternate list status in october/nov...do you think theyre sending them out by what date you interviewed...maybe its in alphabetical order?..idk, im getting kinda nervous...:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

def not sending them out by date interviewed. most of us who actually got this e-mail today interviewed later, like dec/jan/feb. Myself, Feb. The "top pool" does not correlate to automatic acceptance, but I would assume that they pull interested students off of the 'top pool' list (that have confirmed interest) before the regular pool. Of course, those from GW Class of 2010 can confirm that.

I don't know if there is a top pool e-mail this year. Unless maybe those of you who interviewed really early and have yet to get the e-mail, maybe you'll get a 'top pool' e-mail later.

Can someone post the entire email? Maybe they are sending it in waves, or alphabetically or something.

We sincerely appreciate your interest in The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. You currently remain active in our alternate pool. We appreciate your patience in this long process.

Early in the application year, we developed an alternate list so that the class would not be filled before we completed our review of the students who were interviewed later in the application year. Whether you will be offered a position in the 2007 entering class depends upon activity in the class as well as the alternate pool.

The AAMC guidelines state that an applicant may only hold one seat after May 15, 2007. You can find this information on applicant responsibilities on the AAMC website. After that date we may have some seats available. The alternate list is very fluid and organic. You are in a pool of alternates. Please note, it is impossible to specify your standing in this alternate pool. Should a place for you become available, you will, if you have appropriately apprised us of your continuing interest, be informed by telephone or e-mail. The alternate pool remains viable until close to orientation in August.

We request that applicants interested in remaining on the alternate list for the 2007 class send us an email at [email protected]. Please be sure to include your name and AAMC ID. This must be received by the Office of Admissions no later than May 1, 2007. It is to your advantage to let us know if you remain interested as soon as possible. In addition, please submit any updated official transcripts directly from your college to the Office of Admissions.

If we have not heard from you by May 1st, we will assume you are no longer interested in the possibility of attending George Washington and will withdraw your application from consideration.

You may be holding positions at one or more medical schools. If so, we congratulate you! Please review your situation and interest in George Washington. You clearly need to choose the best place for you so that you can move forward and become a skilled and compassionate physician. We do hope that you seriously consider our program for your medical education. If you are no longer interested in a potential offer from us, please inform us immediately, in order to allow another deserving applicant the opportunity to be informed of acceptance more promptly. In addition, per AAMC guidelines, if you begin orientation at another School of Medicine we must withdraw you from further consideration.

Those of you who send an email before May 1st expressing a continued interest in George Washington will be contacted by telephone or e-mail if a position becomes available for you. It is essential that you keep the Office of Admissions informed of mailing address, e-mail, and telephone changes so you can be reached within 24 hours. Please be sure that we have a valid daytime telephone number. If we cannot reach you, another person will be selected from the alternate list. We hope this letter gives you time to study your options.

As you see, the situation is complex. We hope you will carefully consider your own situation in a timely manner. Our ability to act, knowing your present status, will be vitally important to us and greatly appreciated by the other candidates on the alternate list. We sincerely appreciate your patience this year.

Again, please note we are unable to specify your chances of receiving an acceptance. We do apologize that we cannot be more specific. We absolutely appreciate your interest in our program.

Sincerely,

Diane P. McQuail, M.A.

Assistant Dean of Admissions

Chair, Committee on Admissions

i just noticed the part that said "you are in a pool of alternates". I bet this line is changed for the "other" letter and probably says "small pool" or something.

i just noticed the part that said "you are in a pool of alternates". I bet this line is changed for the "other" letter and probably says "small pool" or something.

idk..it says the alternate list is fluid and organic, so thats a general statement..but to say that you are in a pool of alternates, seems to imply a smaller subset of alternate listed individs...does anyone know what the high priority letter said last year?

you guys should search for last year's alternate list thread. if i remember correctly, the wording was almost the same among the two letters except for the part that denoted top of the alternate list.

again, i have no clue if things are working the same way again this year. maybe there is no top of the list. there's really no way to know. i wish you guys the best of luck.

bump. people keep starting up new threads about this (without searching for previously created ones....grrrr), so I thought I'd help out.

has anyone called the office to ask about the "top of the alternate list" possibility??

bump. people keep starting up new threads about this (without searching for previously created ones....grrrr), so I thought I'd help out.

has anyone called the office to ask about the "top of the alternate list" possibility??

yeah i called them up this morning..apparently they sent out another letter with 'top of the alternate list':mad: ranking...i'm so frustrated..I was waitlisted in mid october and i sent out my letter of intent within a few weeks and have been updating them ever since. i don't know what else they want...

yeah i called them up this morning..apparently they sent out another letter with 'top of the alternate list':mad: ranking...i'm so frustrated..I was waitlisted in mid october and i sent out my letter of intent within a few weeks and have been updating them ever since. i don't know what else they want...
So did any of us receive this "top of the alternate list" letter?

I totally feel your pain, I was waitlisted after interviewing in early december and have been sending them updates too. I'm so frustrated. Hopefully they are giving the "high priority" emails to people who are already accepted other places and then there will be spots for us!

Just got this email too! I interviewed late January and this is the only reply I've gotten from them (after 10 weeks :mad:).

Do you think it's better to send a paper letter or an email? And if paper letter who do we send it too? Diana McQuail?

i just received the regular waitlist email..:mad: :scared: :scared: :( :( :(

Also received the normal "pool" waitlist letter this morning.

Medinsane--they mention sending updates/interest in remaining on the waitlist via email.

I know someone that got the priorty waitlist e-mail so it does exist, but for whatever reason he doesn't want to mention it, i guess because of the lashing he'll get. He's waitlisted at 1 other school, which he thinks is a higher priorty than GW, but the way its looking, if he gets into GW, he'll accept the acceptance. Goodluck everyone, hope this helps... sorry if its bad news.

I know someone that got the priorty waitlist e-mail so it does exist, but for whatever reason he doesn't want to mention it, i guess because of the lashing he'll get. He's waitlisted at 1 other school, which he thinks is a higher priorty than GW, but the way its looking, if he gets into GW, he'll accept the acceptance. Goodluck everyone, hope this helps... sorry if its bad news.

Thanks for the update. A bit disconcerting but I guess GW really is "THE BIGGEST TEASE"

I got the same e-mail quoted above (the "regular" alternate pool) this morning.

It would be pretty valuable for all of us if we could get an idea of about what proportion of people got a "top of the alternate list" e-mail. If we promise not to do anything more than congratulate you, is anybody willing to admit to receiving such an e-mail?

Right now, it seems like they are pretty few and far between.

is anybody actually getting accepted directly these days?

Did GW send out any post-interview rejections? Was the earlier waitlist from the fall purged at all? That would at least be a good sign...

Did GW send out any post-interview rejections? Was the earlier waitlist from the fall purged at all? That would at least be a good sign...

Yeh I'd like to know this too. Are they just putting everyone they interview in this waitlist?

Yep...I got the financial aid e-mail as well...it seems like they sent it to everybody on the alternate list.

Yep...I got the financial aid e-mail as well...it seems like they sent it to everybody on the alternate list.

do we have to fill them out?...i dont get the point of them sending it out to us if we're not accepted or at least in the top priority waitlist

bump.... goodluck everyne, hope to see you next year!

d@mn thats bad news for us 'regulars' about the existence of the priority letter :(

It really doesn't seem like a lot of ppl got the top priority email. I wonder if it's true that not that many ppl received them or it just so happens that those who did receive them either aren't on SDN or just aren't posting on SDN.

Awesome321123 said:

To validate the existence of the priority letter (you're the only one who's mentioned it's actual existence this year), and since you were brave enough to come forward with a friend, any chance you could just get a copy of the text so we can see what it says?

To validate the existence of the priority letter (you're the only one who's mentioned it's actual existence this year), and since you were brave enough to come forward with a friend, any chance you could just get a copy of the text so we can see what it says?

Yeah. It seems really strange that there would only be one person that anyone knows of that has gotten the priority letter.

Yeah. It seems really strange that there would only be one person that anyone knows of that has gotten the priority letter.

the admission people said last week that they did send out some of those letters.

so far, we've got these sdners who have received the regular waitlist..im basing this list on this thread, so if theres a mistake, just edit it...

coral
HamburgerHelper
hlchess
hsentar
lina123321
Lulu8
Medinsane
on2flight
rusty14
Shejeboshease
Smiles91084
stevo
UVASam

so far, we've got these sdners who have received the regular waitlist..im basing this list on this thread, so if theres a mistake, just edit it...

coral
HamburgerHelper
hlchess
hsentar
lina123321
Lulu8
Medinsane
on2flight
rusty14
Shejeboshease
Smiles91084
stevo
UVASam

how many of these people listed above have GW as their one and only option for next year?