Another Orgo. thead...sorry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know this is the 1263415631463 time a orgo thread pops up, but I'm starting it in the fall. So how do you pull of an A in O-Chem. Any suggestions or tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I know this is the 1263415631463 time a orgo thread pops up, but I'm starting it in the fall. So how do you pull of an A in O-Chem. Any suggestions or tips?

There's only one mechanism to O-chem...

Electrons in - electrons out.

first priority: understand the concepts. If you can't do it on your own, get help. Second, practice the problems and don't fall behind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orgo is like learning a new language. For many other courses, cramming close to the final can result in a great mark, but do NOT do this for O-chem. Keep on top of new concepts and ideas and try to apply every new concept to what you've already learned. As you review the old and try applying the new, by the time the final rolls around, you'll ace it.
The course isn't hard, it is just that the information is presented in such a novel format that it takes some getting used to.
g'luck!

All you need to know for ochem:

NUCLEOPHILES attack ELECTROPHILES

yea, that's basically it. Oh yea, did I tell you about the time you need to put into it..............

How about you go look at the info in the previous orgo thread?

It comes down to the professor. Sure you can teach yourself. But having an amazing professor, preferably one trained in organic :-D, will make all the difference. Maybe my orgo class is easier than other universities, but I didn't think it was too difficult.

How about you go look at the info in the previous orgo thread?

Not everybody uses the search function before they ask a question. Come off it, dude. You don't need to offend anybody else this quick into your SDN tenure. Take it from one who knows! :laughing:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5207441#post5207441
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5217738#post5217738
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5220992#post5220992
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5227787#post5227787

To the OP: practice, practice, practice - don't skate by on memorizing because you'll get burned.

All you need to know for ochem:

NUCLEOPHILES attack ELECTROPHILES

Golly, I wish I would have know that when I was studying IR, NMR, mass spec, chair comformations... :rolleyes:

OP: Walk into Orgo without any preconceived negative notions. Always remind yourself that the reason why you are studying all this is to a) learn some fundamentals that will come in useful in biochem/MCAT and more importantly b) becuase how you do in orgo is a good indication of how you may do in medical school. orgo does involve a lot of memorization (as will some concepts in medical school) BUT it also involves alot of application of what you have memorized (which is what you'll see on the board exams!).
Also, approach the spectroscopic techniques (like IR, NMR, Mass Spec) as ways to build your analytical skills. Its not very likely that you will use these exact techniques as a doctor but instead you will constantly be running medical tests on patients and analyzing the results to make decisions.

So what I'm trying to get at is, to do well in orgo don't think of it as a class where you'll learn alot of useless junk, but rather as a class that will develop several important skills that will be useful in med school and beyond. With this philosophy, and with alot of hard work you should do well.

Oh yes, and don't forget to push your electrons!

I got an A in orgo and orgo lab, both semesters, without paying too close attention to the lectures. My secret? Know the book like the back of your hand. I read very slowly and carefully until I understand everything.

1) Do many, many, many practice problems. You can use other textbooks for additional problems.
2) Don't get behind. Whatever you don't understand, get help quickly. Ask your instructor or your TA for help.
3) You can also use other reference books for a better understanding.
Some are: Pushing Electrons, Schaums, and I have heard that Organic chemistry for dummies can be of some help.
4) There will be some memorization in the course. But, the more you understand, the less there is to memorize

"Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" by Klein had much much clearer explanations than my text/professor in some cases

draw out the structures! be sure you can track what goes where and why. don't just look at a reaction and think "oh, I know that." if you can draw things cold, you're set.

this works exceptionally well for biochem, too. I've got pages and pages of drawings while I was learning glycolysis and the like.

and get comfortable with your spatial orientation skills. the whole orientation, assigning priority stuff kills a lot of students because they have trouble rotating a structure in their mind. just a heads up that it'll be important at some point.

"Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" by Klein had much much clearer explanations than my text/professor in some cases

Definitely an awesome book. Really just helps you with very broad concepts and skills that you should develop (resonance, chairs, etc.), but of course it doesn't delve very deep into any one topic. Still, highly reccomended.

its easy..

just dont fall behind