Chemotherapy + Orgo 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Round786

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would love some advice. Been hearing horror stories about it my entire freshman year and I was unconfident of doing good in it before my cancer diagnosis.

The chemotherapy is set to end September 3rd, and my orgo class starts early August. I looked at the syllabus and apparently I will be under chemo for effectively 25% of the course (the first exam is on September 15th).

Doctor said I have a pretty aggressive chemotherapy regimen (it’s something called GC), and my performance entirely depends on the level of accommodations I get and my GRIT.

Would you say in my situation it’s best that I just don’t do orgo that semester?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Organic chemistry has a well deserved reputation as a weed-out class for pre-meds and even among successful applicants to medical school, it is almost always the course sequence in which they earned the lowest grades.

Given that you may experience "brain fog" as a result of your treatments (ask your clinicians if there is anything you can take to prevent or ameliorate those symptoms), it might be best to wait at least 6 months after completing chemo before tackling Organic chemistry.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah dude take at least a semester off. School will be there, regain your health for now and later.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Really sorry to hear you're going through this.

How late could you withdraw from the semester and not owe tuition? I have to say, it is VERY common for us to see threads around here where someone tried to bootstrap their way through a crisis and wound up regretting it. But why don't you just observe how you're feeling on chemo over the next month or two and then decide?

Reactions: 2 users
GC as in gemcitabine and cisplatin?
I would take the quarter off, go through treatment and rest. There could be side effects, including infections that land you in the hospital......

GC as in gemcitabine and cisplatin?
I would take the quarter off, go through treatment and rest. There could be side effects, including infections that land you in the hospital......

Yes, it’s those two drugs. Also what do you mean by “rest”? Like bedridden? Or just don’t do strenuous activity? I was planning on still doing AmeriCorps in the summer cause it’s relatively low-stress (atleast compared to orgo).

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it’s those two drugs. Also what do you mean by “rest”? Like bedridden? Or just don’t do strenuous activity? I was planning on still doing AmeriCorps in the summer cause it’s relatively low-stress (atleast compared to orgo).
The chemo can give you flu-like symptoms which would make it desirable to be able to rest when you feel wiped out. The chemo can impair your immune function and make it more likely that you will catch infections that come your way. Take those things into account when you make plans for the coming months. Med school will be here when you are ready; for the time being, prioritize your survival during what will be a challenging time.

Rest as in take it easy, avoid strenuous exertion, avoid additional stress (cancer diagnosis and chemotherapy are stressful enough), eat well, get adequate sleep, avoid ill contacts which may include classes, travel, large crowds.
Sorry you have to go through this. Hope you do well and recover. Your experience and insights as a patient will go a long ways in helping you be a good, empathetic doctor.

Reactions: 5 users
What does your physician think about it?

I would say take the time off and do things that are still productive and can keep you focused and hopefully maintain good mental health. I can see extra stress and possibly failure having a negative impact on your ability to do the chemo. I would do nothing to risk the viability and effectiveness of the chemo. But you do still need to keep busy and as mentioned to keep the engines going so you don't fall into a slump.

Best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user
This is just one person's experience, but I just underwent 5 months of chemo and personally I would take the semester off.

Even if you have energy, and feel like you don't have brain fog, it hits different when you're studying something intense like ochem. I thought I wasn't tired until I would try to sit in front of my computer and concentrate, and found that I truly couldn't.

When I received chemo every 3 weeks, the 1st week was in a fog of exhaustion. The 2nd two weeks I was back to normal. But that 1st week was just gone, couldn't do much except exercise.

When I received chemo every week, it took me 5-6 days to fully recover. I had one day of normalcy and then it was time for chemo again.

Chemo is cumulative so you will likely fare better in the beginning than later, but you don't know how you will respond to chemo until you start it - which may prove disastrous for your ochem studies.

Just one person's experience. I know it is frustrating to postpone things. Premed GPA is important, so if you can wait to take ochem until your brain is back - and it will be back soon! - please do.

• Love
This is just one person's experience, but I just underwent 5 months of chemo and personally I would take the semester off.

Even if you have energy, and feel like you don't have brain fog, it hits different when you're studying something intense like ochem. I thought I wasn't tired until I would try to sit in front of my computer and concentrate, and found that I truly couldn't.

When I received chemo every 3 weeks, the 1st week was in a fog of exhaustion. The 2nd two weeks I was back to normal. But that 1st week was just gone, couldn't do much except exercise.

When I received chemo every week, it took me 5-6 days to fully recover. I had one day of normalcy and then it was time for chemo again.

Chemo is cumulative so you will likely fare better in the beginning than later, but you don't know how you will respond to chemo until you start it - which may prove disastrous for your ochem studies.

Just one person's experience. I know it is frustrating to postpone things. Premed GPA is important, so if you can wait to take ochem until your brain is back - and it will be back soon! - please do.

I’m interested in what brain fog really is. Does it just apply to when you are doing a intellectually or mentally challenging tasks? Or does it apply to all aspects of your life? I’m really passionate about my big brother activity as well as the americorp position I worked so hard to get into.. it’s a scary thought knowing that this chemo may cause me to lose my passion towards these activities.