PCSOM - (Pikeville) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received a secondary from Pikeville and know how long it took for you to receive it?

i received a secondary from them via snail mail on 10/17. according to the aacomas website my application was mailed to them on 9/30.

Members don't see this ad :)
how long does it take to hear whether you get an interview after youre complete on average? I was complete a week ago.

how long does it take to hear whether you get an interview after youre complete on average? I was complete a week ago.

I was complete for a month or more before receiving my interview. I was complete way back in August as well.

same for me. I was complete in early August, and just got an invite yesterday. I will likely turn it down though.

I just got my secondary app today via snail mail. Did you all hand write or type?

Mine was hand written. I hope the hand writing adds a more personal feel to the application. I know most people I've read on SDN recommend typing it but to me it would seem that handwriting gives your application a more humanistic touch. As long as you can write legibly, I'd hand write. It's just an opinion though. :)

My secondary arrived 7/25 and I sent it back a few days later. The crappy thing is I'm still not complete b/c I lack a DO letter. I shadowed a DO this spring and I'm still waiting on him to send the letter. It's been months and I feel like I bug the crap out of him but I NEED that letter!!!

Has anyone received a secondary from Pikeville and know how long it took for you to receive it?

unless you have a typewriter I dont know how you could even fill it out on by computer unless you had access to some machine I have yet to discover.

I hand wrote it as well. What's a typewriter?

I will handwrite then. I plan on mailing it in by Monday, so hopefully my LOR's will be submitted by the end of next week!

Has anyone heard any news/results from interviews on the 19th?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard any news/results from interviews on the 19th?

I think they are supposed to start calling tomorrow. Atleast that's what Angel said at the Interview...

Good luck!

Called this morning! I had to call back after class to get the good news, but it was nice nonetheless....

Congrats on the acceptance to Pikeville!!!! Are you going to post on the interview forum or could you tell us the details of your interview? Was it stressful, etc? I'm still hoping and praying for an interview so I'd love to find out as much info as possible. Thanks!

Called this morning! I had to call back after class to get the good news, but it was nice nonetheless....

The interview was very specific. They really wanted to know who you are. Know your weaknesses and how to defend them, also know your strengths and how to exemplify them. I was worried about the turnout of the interview but I guess it came out better than expected.

let me know if you have any other questions...

So,
if there are any current PCSOM students out there I have a few questions......

Congratulations! I toured the school over the summer and fell in love with the program. I made a few friends during my visit that are excellent people and represent the school with class. I am sure that you will do the same. Now, hopefully, this time next year, I will find myself in your [present] shoes...

You just wait until April when Pikeville hosts their annual claim-to-fame!

One of the biggest festivals in the state, the nationally-known Hillbilly Days. The third weekend in April, rain or shine, over 100,000 'hillbillies' descend upon the streets of Pikeville. :scared:It is pure insanity, I just hope I get a free banjo.
I'm hoping that next year my interview will be be around April.

Thanks so much Bryce. It seems like a great program, everyone was very happy to be showing us around when I went for my interview. Nice folks in Pikeville,

Hillbilly Days, I will have to check this out.....

Just curious for those who interviewed and were accepted.... What are your stats: MCAT, GPA, etc. I did not do so well on the MCAT. I am right at their avg for GPA and reading, writing MCAT, but below on bio (2 below) and physical sciences (3 below). Do you think I really stand a chance? Another factor against me: I'm from Missouri, not really in the Appalacian region, though I saw two in the current class from Missouri in the book that they sent to me.

Does anyone know when the next set of PCSOM interviews are after the one on the 19th? Did they interview many KY residents at the 10/19 interview because I am from NY and hoping to get interviewed asap so I don't have to put a down payment at WVSOM.....any info would be great! thanks!!

Ok, I am answering to the two previous posts.

Runner: Always apply nomatter what your stats are, a couple pts here or there on any one section will not hold you back and at Pikeville they made it clear to me during the interview stats and numbers do not define a person, nor an osteopathic physician.

Steelers: I was going to reschedule my 19th interview for a later date due to some class conflicts but was told the next interview group was early November and I did not want to wait that long. Also there were some KY residents there but I also met several others who were from various state.

Hope this helps....

Awesome. Thanks for the info. That is what I am looking for in a school. I think a person's character can sometimes go farther than a great test score. Hopefully it will work out. As of now, I am thinking I have the best shot at the school and I like the school a lot too! I am keeping my fingers crossed!:scared:

Best of luck to the next group of applicants interviewing!

Any current medical students @ Pikeville...I'd like to know just how good are the labtops you receive?

Any current medical students @ Pikeville...I'd like to know just how good are the laptops you receive?

So, I am not a current student but I waited to see if any current students posted before I responded. When I was there (for my interview) I spoke to a student specifically about the laptops. They are Dell laptops, and are mid range in the dell lineup. According to this student some actually traded them in for one of their on specific liking (such as a Mac). Nonetheless the computer is included in the tuition so you can't beat that.

just received my file complete status today. anyone hear anything recently?

I just got an interview invite for 1/11. I dont know the stats after you get an interview. Does anyone know how many they interview and accept? I'm pretty excited!!

congrats! how long were you complete until they gave you an interview??

Congrats on the interview!! I'm so jealous. Best wishes!! :)

I just got an interview invite for 1/11. I dont know the stats after you get an interview. Does anyone know how many they interview and accept? I'm pretty excited!!

thanks everyone. I hope it goes well. does anyone know percentages of admission once you interview for PCSOM? thanks a bunch.

I haven't even gotten a secondary from Pikeville, I think I"ve been shut out. my accomas was there 11/25

thanks everyone. I hope it goes well. does anyone know percentages of admission once you interview for PCSOM? thanks a bunch.

Here's what i found. Hope it helps. There is a better one i found one time that has the actual breakdown of numbers, not percentages. If i find it i will post it. Good luck scdocusc

PCSOM
In State Out of State
94.74% 24.35% Applied/got interview
92.59% 79.65% Interviewed/accepted
87.72% 9.48% Applied/accepted

I haven't even gotten a secondary from Pikeville, I think I"ve been shut out. my accomas was there 11/25

they send it by snail mail.. it might just be slow.. i know mine took a bit to reach me..

I was in the first interview group there this year. Clearly, Pikeville doesn't have a big class. So if granted an interview, they see something in you that they like. According to the current students, unless you just completely blow it you will be fine.

The interview is very laid back. Just be yourself and tell them the things you are completely passionate about. (Hopefully medicine falls into this category) They appreciate individualism. I claimed to be a rock music junkie that had a very big thing for Tennessee Basketball (given that they are one of our bigger rivals) and the ocean among other things. I was also very persistent in my intentions to be a physician. They are very straightforward and my interviewers told me during the actual interview that they were both giving me thumbs up.

So, like I said, be yourself and just enjoy being there. Those people and PCSOM is the best kept secret in the med-school field. They are wonderful.

^^

Pikeville is not the Land of Milk-and-Honey. The school and the town have a few problems which are special only to the region.

The issue of diversity is just a starting point.

What are these problems? I know almost nothing about this school. Not that I am interested, as I am firm in my commitment to GA-PCOM, but I am curious.

^^

Pikeville is not the Land of Milk-and-Honey. The school and the town have a few problems which are special only to the region.

The issue of diversity is just a starting point.

yes, i am also interested in these problems because i am definitley interested in the school.

yes... I too would like to hear these problems you speak of.Thanks for the insight into the interview. I've got almost a month to get ready so I should be ok. Its not a big class but that works for me.

Ok, I don't want to start some kind of war and I'm not trying to stir up crap.

Make sure you read as many threads as you can about the school. It seems the school is not very supportive of the students and if students have problems they are on their own. I'm a self reliant kind of guy so I personally don't care.

It is not the school so much as the environment. I know I have made jokes and references about the film Deliverance and hillbillys but the town is a shock to many students. It is an isolated and disconncected city that requires adjustment. Maybe this is a moot point b/c you'll be studying so much you won't care, but for others it is more important.

Some Kentucky towns have their own rules. It is the little things that bug me. I laughed when someone said the local fast food restaurant was "not-so-fast" and it took 20 minutes to get an order. That is so true of many small Kentucky towns like Pikeville. In Paris Kentucky they still smoke the McDonalds despite the corporate franchise ban prohibiting smoking. The manager and owner supply the ashtrays! That is what I mean when they have their own rules.

I'm not going to stretch it and say the cops are Boss Hog kind of corrupt but they just do thing differently. It is definitely operates on the good-old-boy system. They handle car accidents and misdemeanors differently. The "turn a blind eye" attitude prevails. Some people think it is a Southern thing, it is not. Don't make the mistake thinking that because you're from South Carolina, Georgia or Mississippi you "get it" or have something in common with Appalachia. When these schools recruit for Appalachia they really mean it, because it is so different.

I'm not going to get into the diversity thing. I am not the kind that sits up on a high horse, attends protests and hold rally's with the local ACLU but I know ignorance when I see it. It is not horrible but rather just ignorance from extreme lack of diversity. It is kind of like my 92 year old grandmother who I love and respect, but still holds on to those beliefs she was taught back in the 1930s.

Oh, everybody in that town smokes. Even many of the medical school admin. smoke, some it their offices. I know it is a small thing, but it is a perfect illustration of the school's attitude.

I know this because my family has been in the mineral rights/ natural gas business. I've made trips down there since I could walk. However, I have never lived there. I also have two friends, who have interviewed there. One in 2003? and one last year.

So maybe I went overboard by saying the school has problems. Really, it is the city and the region that has the problem.

When I learned about osteopathic schools, I was pretty pumped up to learn about PSCOM. I was going to apply there but decided that there are some better places to apply. I don't think that school is terrible but I think there are so many BETTER schools to attend.

Things like the formal attire (dress shirt and tie) don't bother me. It is the strict us-against-them administrative attitude and clinical rotations that my friend complains about.

I am sure there are many who will disagree. I mean no offense and have total respect for current PSCOM and graduates of PSCOM. Listen to them before me. Don't make a decision based on what I've written, do some research.

thanks for your input. I've researched the area and I know it's a small town with limited stuff. I'm also taking into account that I probably wont be in pikeville for 4 years. (I might but only time will tell). They have some solid rotation core sites. It seems like they are way more committed to rural medicine than other schools that claim they are.

Thanks Yourmother.. definitley something to keep iin mind if I get an interview and acceptance there..

Ok, I don't want to start some kind of war and I'm not trying to stir up crap.

Make sure you read as many threads as you can about the school. It seems the school is not very supportive of the students and if students have problems they are on their own. I'm a self reliant kind of guy so I personally don't care.

It is not the school so much as the environment. I know I have made jokes and references about the film Deliverance and hillbillys but the town is a shock to many students. It is an isolated and disconncected city that requires adjustment. Maybe this is a moot point b/c you'll be studying so much you won't care, but for others it is more important.

Some Kentucky towns have their own rules. It is the little things that bug me. I laughed when someone said the local fast food restaurant was "not-so-fast" and it took 20 minutes to get an order. That is so true of many small Kentucky towns like Pikeville. In Paris Kentucky they still smoke the McDonalds despite the corporate franchise ban prohibiting smoking. The manager and owner supply the ashtrays! That is what I mean when they have their own rules.

I'm not going to stretch it and say the cops are Boss Hog kind of corrupt but they just do thing differently. It is definitely operates on the good-old-boy system. They handle car accidents and misdemeanors differently. The "turn a blind eye" attitude prevails. Some people think it is a Southern thing, it is not. Don't make the mistake thinking that because you're from South Carolina, Georgia or Mississippi you "get it" or have something in common with Appalachia. When these schools recruit for Appalachia they really mean it, because it is so different.

I'm not going to get into the diversity thing. I am not the kind that sits up on a high horse, attends protests and hold rally's with the local ACLU but I know ignorance when I see it. It is not horrible but rather just ignorance from extreme lack of diversity. It is kind of like my 92 year old grandmother who I love and respect, but still holds on to those beliefs she was taught back in the 1930s.

Oh, everybody in that town smokes. Even many of the medical school admin. smoke, some it their offices. I know it is a small thing, but it is a perfect illustration of the school's attitude.

I know this because my family has been in the mineral rights/ natural gas business. I've made trips down there since I could walk. However, I have never lived there. I also have two friends, who have interviewed there. One in 2003? and one last year.

So maybe I went overboard by saying the school has problems. Really, it is the city and the region that has the problem.

I cannot simply sit back to hear this from Yourmother. I am planning on attending PCSOM next year, keeping my biases aside I have talked to MANY current students and graduates of PCSOM. I have come to the conclusion that people like Yourmother or people they know have had specific problems with administration at the school. Everyone I have talked to has said that it is not a perfect environment but if you find a perfect medical school let me know. At PCSOM you can learn what you need to (if willing to put in the time and personal effort) and they will support you in your journey to become an Osteopathic Physician. I think Yourmother's problems and a couple other on here (the only ones to ever cause a problem with PCSOM when the topic comes up- which only further shows personal problems and not broad) has to do with the fact that at PCSOM they recruit to help the Appalachia region. The purpose of the founding of the school was provide more primary care physicians in the Eastern Kentucky and Appalachia region, and they will tell you in the interview if you are not interested or willing to help out the region then it may not be the place for you. However, they also said that if a person is inclined to do a surgery residency they will also be glad to support you as well. Although this is the philosophy at other schools as well (LMU-DCOM, WVSOM, etc.) As with the town of Pikeville, well that is every small town as far as the cooperativeness and local attitudes. Do not make your judgment on a school with the help of someone who knew "someone who interviewed such and such" this is not helpful to you or anyone trying to get into medical school. Talk to students, they are experiencing it firsthand, not through 3 degrees of separation.

I cannot simply sit back to hear this from Yourmother. I am planning on attending PCSOM next year, keeping my biases aside I have talked to MANY current students and graduates of PCSOM. I have come to the conclusion that people like Yourmother or people they know have had specific problems with administration at the school. Everyone I have talked to has said that it is not a perfect environment but if you find a perfect medical school let me know. At PCSOM you can learn what you need to (if willing to put in the time and personal effort) and they will support you in your journey to become an Osteopathic Physician. I think Yourmother's problems and a couple other on here (the only ones to ever cause a problem with PCSOM when the topic comes up- which only further shows personal problems and not broad) has to do with the fact that at PCSOM they recruit to help the Appalachia region. The purpose of the founding of the school was provide more primary care physicians in the Eastern Kentucky and Appalachia region, and they will tell you in the interview if you are not interested or willing to help out the region then it may not be the place for you. However, they also said that if a person is inclined to do a surgery residency they will also be glad to support you as well. Although this is the philosophy at other schools as well (LMU-DCOM, WVSOM, etc.) As with the town of Pikeville, well that is every small town as far as the cooperativeness and local attitudes. Do not make your judgment on a school with the help of someone who knew "someone who interviewed such and such" this is not helpful to you or anyone trying to get into medical school. Talk to students, they are experiencing it firsthand, not through 3 degrees of separation.

Dude, I respect your position and I'm not going to argue with you.

Did you not read my disclaimer at the bottom of my last post? I said I have total respect for current and graduates of PSCOM. I encouraged people to do their own research to see both sides.

I'm just giving my opinion as a 7th generation Kentuckian who has long standing ties to the region. Heck, I even was part of Pikeville native Gov. Paul Patton's campaign when he was first elected. I remember plans for the school back in 96-97 and the excitement of another Kentucky school.

Man, I'm just giving my opinion. Once again, people are so weirdly loyal about that school. They see a negative review and critcism as some personal threat and want to square off.

Sheeesh.

I am sure there are many who will disagree. I mean no offense and have total respect for current PSCOM and graduates of PSCOM. Listen to them before me. Don't make a decision based on what I've written, do some research.

Thanks Yourmother.. definitley something to keep iin mind if I get an interview and acceptance there..

Make sure you talk to a number of people to hear some really wonderful things about PSCOM and Pikeville. There are some really glowing reviews out there and over-the-top staff.

I am not licensed to dispense opinioned advice.