PCSOM - (Pikeville) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I said this river don't go down to Aintry!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I get it too. I think the others are too young to have seen the movie.

I heard that during "the scene", the hillbilly guy got a little too into his part, if you know what I'm saying. Ned Beatty refused to do another take.

I heard that during "the scene", the hillbilly guy got a little too into his part, if you know what I'm saying. Ned Beatty refused to do another take.

They had me do a retake of the scene with another student at my PSCOM interview.

Did you play the role of Ned Beatty or the hillbilly?

I knew what you were referring to but I chose not to encourage you. My husband plays the banjo and besides "Rocky Top" (We're from TN) the most requested song is "Dueling Banjos". More people have seen this movie than you would've thought. In my husband's military career, we have lived through out the nation and overseas. The most inbred place I have lived or visited was the island of Guam in Micronesia . If you think about it, a secluded island in the middle of the Pacific is far more inbred than a country town in KY. Perhaps I'm biased ,being from TN, but I'd choose a rural community anyday over the "hustle and bustle" of the city.

I am not bothered or trying to argue either Yourmother, but it seems if you have all of this information and negativity based off so little of personal information you would simply remain off the boards and try to keep to a positive light, unless in fact you have something that would potentially show truth towards the situation instead of possibly distort.

As far as Deliverance, I have a town much more of the liking and the intials to it are Boone, NC.

I am not bothered or trying to argue either Yourmother, but it seems if you have all of this information and negativity based off so little of personal information you would simply remain off the boards and try to keep to a positive light,

I didn't even bring up the Deliverance jokes until Tex did!? How do I continue with the negativity? How am I just going off of personal information? Why is this such a personal issue with you?

Dude, lighten up. This is not about defending King and Country, the 15th century is over.

I said in bold letters for people to NOT TAKE MY ADVICE AND TO RESEARCH OTHER SOURCES. Is that not good enough? Are you mad that I have an opinion? Does it bother you that not everyone is a huge cheerleader for PSCOM?

Maybe you should alert the mods to have me banned.

I have not as of yet applied to pcsom although I plan to and I have to say that I feel a little upset that someone who does not even live in this area would try to portray that they have any idea what it is like to be here. I live very close to pcsom and I feel that you will find that people here (in the Appalachian region) are much more accepting of people WITHOUT PREJUDICE!!! Without even knowing who you are or anything about you the people in this area are generally nice and don't ignore that you exist or think ill of you because of what you look like or what kind of car you drive. I did a lot of traveling due to my father being in the military and lived a lot of places and so I can say that I have seen first hand that there is ignorance everywhere, you may not notice it as much in a city because there are so many people there but they are out there. I think that if you are thinking of applying to pcsom that you shouldn't take the word of other people. Go there and see for yourself. Talk to some of the local people, they have led some very interesting lives here in this small town and osteopathic medicine needs the kind of doctors that will take the time to learn and care about them as people. That is what sets a DO off from the crowd. I would like to commend and congratulate those of you who are entering an Osteopathic career no matter where you decide to attend. I can only hope that I will have the privelage of joining you soon.:luck:

I am sure there are many who will disagree. I mean no offense and have total respect for current PSCOM and graduates of PSCOM. Listen to them before me. Don't make a decision based on what I've written, do some research.

I have not as of yet applied to pcsom although I plan to and I have to say that I feel a little upset that someone who does not even live in this area would try to portray that they have any idea what it is like to be here. I live very close to pcsom and I feel that you will find that people here (in the Appalachian region) are much more accepting of people WITHOUT PREJUDICE!!! Without even knowing who you are or anything about you the people in this area are generally nice and don't ignore that you exist or think ill of you because of what you look like or what kind of car you drive. I did a lot of traveling due to my father being in the military and lived a lot of places and so I can say that I have seen first hand that there is ignorance everywhere, you may not notice it as much in a city because there are so many people there but they are out there. I think that if you are thinking of applying to pcsom that you shouldn't take the word of other people. Go there and see for yourself. Talk to some of the local people, they have led some very interesting lives here in this small town and osteopathic medicine needs the kind of doctors that will take the time to learn and care about them as people. That is what sets a DO off from the crowd. I would like to commend and congratulate those of you who are entering an Osteopathic career no matter where you decide to attend. I can only hope that I will have the privelage of joining you soon.:luck:

I am assuming that since you wrote this, you can also read the disclaimer that I have written like 4,556 times.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am assuming that since you wrote this, you can also read the disclaimer that I have written like 4,556 times.

Well thank you emilyntrentsmom for providing insight, and thank you Yourmother for providing your superior knowledge, I mean by being pre-med and not applying or matriculating and only providing negative comments you alone attempt to ruin threads...and for goodness sake leave the "disclaimer" off next time.

Has anyone who interviewed on 1/5 received a phone call yet?

I was impressed with the school's interview process. I felt very comfortable, and was given open chance to identify and explain any weak spots in my application.

do they notify you on the mon. after the interview?

morehead... did they ask you about MCAT or grades? I know at some schools they become very agressive when it comes to those questions. How are they at PCSOM? how many people interviewed with you?

also, Does anyone know if they interview people only on friday and sat or do they interview during the week too?

morehead... did they ask you about MCAT or grades? I know at some schools they become very agressive when it comes to those questions. How are they at PCSOM? how many people interviewed with you?

also, Does anyone know if they interview people only on friday and sat or do they interview during the week too?

I interviewed the 19th of November. I was asked about grades but MCAT was not mentioned, eventhough I thought it would be the opposite in my particular situation. I interviewed with 18 people (inlcuding myself) and they were very nice and laid back for the day and even in the 2 on 1 interview process. I was told they only interview every couple weeks or so (although I was in) and they will either interview on a fri or sat and you will know by the following week. I interviewed on Friday and was called for an acceptance on the following Tuesday morning. Hope this helps.....

Is anyone still waiting to hear from this school? I was complete 12/15 and haven't heard anything. How long does it usuallly take to get an interview or rejection letter?

Is anyone still waiting to hear from this school? I was complete 12/15 and haven't heard anything. How long does it usuallly take to get an interview or rejection letter?

They're still using a 15th century Guttenberg press down there and the Pony Express as mail service.

It will be a while

I interviewed at PCSOM the other day. It was amazing!!! I love the school. This school is the first school that I've been to that made me feel like I was family. their interview day includes your spouse or family if you'd like. I was impressed at the faculty and the academics there. The OMM lab is well structured. Completely sold on PCSOM now I hope they were sold on me!!!! this school is a perfect fit for me. Good luck to all those who interview later

Glad to hear SCDOC, I hope you get a call in the next few days. I agree with the fact of feeling so welcomed....

thanks.... I'm waiting and hoping that today they will call me. I'm starting to get nervous but thats just how I am. Do they mostly call monday afternoon or is is tuesday morning?

anyone out there who interviewed on the 11th or 12th get a call yet today?

thanks.... I'm waiting and hoping that today they will call me. I'm starting to get nervous but thats just how I am. Do they mostly call monday afternoon or is is tuesday morning?

I am sure you will hear great news soon. I got a call the Tuesday morning after my Friday interview in the middle of my 9 o'clock political science class. Let's just say it was a good reason to step out during the lecture

today so I hope someone on here waiting to hear gets it. Good Luck with everything!

I guess I'm kinda freaking out a little bit. I hope I get a call tomorrow.

Other than this past friday, has anyone gotten any notification of interviews coming up? Good luck to those who interviewed this past week.

well, I havent got a call yet and my outlook seems bleak. Let me know if anyone gets called

well, I havent got a call yet and my outlook seems bleak. Let me know if anyone gets called

Hang in there buddy, its still early. I hope you get your call soon. Good luck

WELL. . .... I finally got the call... Oh my GOD this has been the best day ever! I'm going to be a doctor and I'm going to school at PCSOM!!!!!! oh my GOD!!!!

WELL. . .... I finally got the call... Oh my GOD this has been the best day ever! I'm going to be a doctor and I'm going to school at PCSOM!!!!!! oh my GOD!!!!

DUDE! congrats! :clap::bow: I know it has been a rough road but you finally found the right school and Im sure youll be successful there. Good luck and go celebrate

Congrats!
Feels good doesn't it?

Hey guys I just got an interview invite in the mail yesterday for Feb. 8. I had already booked a vacation in Orlando and have to fly to KY for the interview. I know Louisville is about 4 hours away, Lexington is about 3, Huntington is about 2, and Knoxville is about 3 hours away. Does anybody know of anymore regional airports in the area of Pikeville?
Thanks for the help

Hi! I don't know about any airports in the area but congrats on the interview invite! Can I ask you your stats? PM me if you'd rather. Good luck on the interview! :)

I am also interviewing on the 8th of February. See you there!

I'm just curious what people think of PCSOM's clinical rotations. Are they organized? Or are they "fend for yourself" rotations? Just trying to get a general feel for their rotations. The last match list I saw from PCSOM was awesome in my opinion so I'm interested to see how structured the rotations are.

Does anyone know how long after your file is complete that you hear whether you get an interview invite or rejection? I called last week and they told me I was complete, but I haven't hear anything yet. :eek:

honestly I was complete in september or so and did not hear about an interview until december so it takes a long long time. However, If you are a KY resident (unlike me) you might have a faster review and a significantly better chance then out of state or app region. I tried bugging Angel but it really didnt work. You'll get a letter in the mail for an interview so keep an eye out. Good luck

Thanks. Actually, I am not a KY resident, so I guess I should plan on waiting a while. Maybe if they wait long enough they can receive my new MCAT score......

Thanks again for your help!

I came to discover PCSOM from the rec. of a newly accepted student whose opinion I value. While Im applying late, Im very much interested and would consider it seriously. I mailed my secondary yesterday, with LOR's coming this week as well. At this point in the game, can anyone offer me insight into how long it takes to hear about an interview, levels of competitiveness (dont want to get my hopes up!!). FYI: Im a VA resident (former KY resident!! lol), 20R MCAT, 3.14 cum. GPA after retaking classes last fall in biochem, phys, calc. Graduated in may, 06 from undergrad. Working F/T night shift at local hosp. while retaking those courses. Any thoughts???

hey there. It is a bit late in the game as far as admissions go. However, they might slip you in for an interview. If I were you, I would look at retaking some courses that I had problems with during the summer. I really cant tell you if you have a chance since I'm not on the admissions committee but the numbers at this point are working against you badly. I wish you the best of luck

Hey everybody, I am new to SDN. I have been reading as much as I can and researching everything. I have an interview at PCSOM on Sat. March 1st. Its just right around the corner. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips that have taken them lately or earlier. Any tips on the different interviewers? Thanks and hopefully I will be joining everyone soon with good news.

hey there! First, Congrats on getting the interview. PCSOM screens quite tough for applicants to get an interview. My interview was awesome. You will see a little powerpoint presentation on the school. There were tons of first and second year students in the interview hall when I was there to answer questions about the school. I was really impressed by how well the students and professors got along. They'll take you back to the break-away rooms to interview you 2 on 1.
My interviewers were the physiology and anatomy professors. One was an MD and the other was a PhD I believe. They asked my some really thoughtful questions. Expect an ethical question to the effect of students having tests and cheating and seeing other students sexually assaulting another student. They look for your reaction to these questions. Dont underestimate these. They mostly asked me about my undergrad and my study habits, goals in medicine, favorite classes, ect. They do ask a hard question about what you would do if you failed all your first block classes. This answer is important because they want to see how you plan your attack under pressure and how well of a fit you are for the school. I told them that I would talk to the professors and utilize their open door policy. Out of all the schools I interviewed at, this school had the most substance. Its a school that outwardly might appear to be rough but it's student body, faculty, goals, programs, and curriculum are established and as strong as any school in America. Good luck to you.

Hey Thanks scdocusc for your info. Btw, congrats on your acceptance. I have a couple more questions for you and anybody else.
Did you take anything with you to the interview, like notebook, etc.?
Did they want you to ask them questions? If so, what did you ask?
Did you send out thank you cards?
Did they ask about why you want to be a doctor or DO or got to PCSOM?
Did they ask anything about MCAT scores or research?
I asked Angel the other day if there were still open spots left. She told me there was. So I hope that I still have a chance.
Sorry for all the questions. Even though everybody says to relax and that the interview is comfortable, I am still a little nervous.
Thanks again for your help and advice

Hey Thanks scdocusc for your info. Btw, congrats on your acceptance. I have a couple more questions for you and anybody else.
Did you take anything with you to the interview, like notebook, etc.?

I just took a leather bound book with my questions and a copy of my research

Did they want you to ask them questions? If so, what did you ask?

I asked them each why they chose PCSOM. This lightens the mood more and can give you insight into their motivations so you can play up on them. I also asked about research, community involvment, and about the curriculum. I also asked about the board pass rate (which was pretty impressive)

Did you send out thank you cards?

no, there simply is not enough time.

Did they ask about why you want to be a doctor or DO or got to PCSOM?

They did ask this and be prepared to explain both choices. Find what you like about PCSOM and be filled with truthiness.

Did they ask anything about MCAT scores or research?

They didnt ask me much about my MCAT. What's interesting is that they take a wide range of MCAT scores and still produce quality board scores. I actually heard that last year one of the highest scores on step I was from PCSOM. They are doing something right. Research is a factor and a plus but it wasnt pushed.

I asked Angel the other day if there were still open spots left. She told me there was. So I hope that I still have a chance.
Sorry for all the questions. Even though everybody says to relax and that the interview is comfortable, I am still a little nervous.
Thanks again for your help and advice

sorry for the mixup with the post but my answers to the questions are inserted in the quote underneath. Sorry.
good luck!

Those who recently got an interview, how long did it take to get an interview after you mailed your secondary? Also, are you from KY or an Appalachian region?

I am assuming it takes months or they lost mine in the mail, one of the two. I have been complete for about 2 months I think??? Maybe a little longer, but still no word. I did get a post card saying that my file is complete and they will review my app and let me know if there are any interview slots left. :confused:

It took about 3-4 months before I was offered an interview. They do put App. region residents ahead of most people. I have a feeling that what you say in your secondary essay plays a significant role in getting an interview at PCSOM. They are still interviewing so dont give up hope. Good luck and keep truckin.

So...I wonder when they will respond to me since I am kinda late in the game w/ my secondary application....