UNLV Formula

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSmiles12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just interviewed at UNLV yesterday and Dr. Ancajas wanted us to post the correct formula to predict if your getting in or not. It is made up of two parts, part on is your DAT scores and GPA:

PART 1
((CUM GPA + SCI GPA)/8)x(RC/30)x((BIO+QR+OCHEM)/90)x75=A

PART 2
This is your interview performance: Student and faculty interview you and give you a 1-5 with 5 being the best applicant possible.

((Student interview)/5) x (Faculty interview/5) x 25 = B

A+B = 100 max

Those that have a 50-55 are competitive and those with a 55+ are pretty much in...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just interviewed at UNLV yesterday and Dr. Ancajas wanted us to post the correct formula to predict if your getting in or not. It is made up of two parts, part on is your DAT scores and GPA:

PART 1

PART 2
This is your interview performance: Student and faculty interview you and give you a 1-5 with 5 being the best applicant possible.

A+B = 100 max

Those that have a 50-55 are competitive and those with a 55+ are pretty much in...

is it QR? :scared:

Do you know your inteview score? If not, this is less than helpful...

Members don't see this ad :)

PART 1

PART 2

A+B = 100 max

Interesting. By this formula the GPA has equal weight as rc; bio, qr, and org carry 1/3 weight each while gc and pat have zero weight. Is this right?

it must be - I have a 48.5 (biased towards the lower end hahahahah) :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I didnt apply to UNLV - I hope other schools do not use this as a formula..or at least the scoring

It helped me..

No, I mean, do they tell you your interview score? If you don't know it, it doesn't really help to know the formula that uses it.

No, I mean, do they tell you your interview score? If you don't know it, it doesn't really help to know the formula that uses it.

well you can estimate what score you need to get out of 5 to be competitive

So does the GC, PAT, personal statement, and LORs have no bearing?

They said that they use the number to make a sort of list or rankings - then they look at everything else.

thanks for the post... this is really helpful bc even if you dont know your score on you can guess on the lower end and see how you may stand if you are on the lower end... thanks a lot!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know your inteview score? If not, this is less than helpful...
From the students I talked to that I know there they told me that everyone get 5 for each interview unless they are flat out stupid.

They told us the Dr. Brownstein did a study and found that people with these type of scores with this formula were most successfull or whatever they were looking for.

welp... I guess now I know why I haven't heard from UNLV... RC = 17 =(

Their admissions representative explained to our school that RC has been shown to be the most closely linked DAT subscore to the results of your National Boards Part I. This probably is why it is given such a high weight in your application consideration.

welp... I guess now I know why I haven't heard from UNLV... RC = 17 =(

lol. same here.

I have 28 points out of 75 possible points. very nice :(

lol. same here.

I have 28 points out of 75 possible points. very nice :(
The mean objective score for UNLV's first 3 classes is approximately 23.2, so you are well ahead of the curve. The mean overall score is around 45.7.

Below is the info for the citation for the article DrSmiles12 mentioned.

Kingsley et al. Creating an Evidence-Based Admissions Formula for a New Dental School: University of Nevada, Las Vegas, School of Dental Medicine. Journal of Dental Education April 2007; 71(4): 492-500.

Haha should I apply? my initial score without interviews is 25.31.

Is it worth applying?

The mean objective score for UNLV's first 3 classes is approximately 23.2, so you are well ahead of the curve. The mean overall score is around 45.7.

Kingsley et al. Creating an Evidence-Based Admissions Formula for a New Dental School: University of Nevada, Las Vegas, School of Dental Medicine. Journal of Dental Education April 2007; 71(4): 492-500.

Thanks Resonance! That makes me feel better. :D

But thats the first three classes. I'd expect it to be higher nowadays

I have a 27 and was already rejected...Interesting.

Interestingly enough, this makes you wonder what you would rather have, a score of 28 on PAT or RC?

Different schools have such different criteria. Makes me CRAZY!

part 2 of that calculation is more work than it needs to be. Just multiply your interview scores together and add them to part 1. You get the same answer with less multiplication/division.

I have a 27 and was already rejected...Interesting.

Interestingly enough, this makes you wonder what you would rather have, a score of 28 on PAT or RC?

Different schools have such different criteria. Makes me CRAZY!

Did you call to confirm your rejection? :p

I'm starting to think I should apply to unlv now, since my score without an interview would be a 31...and if everyone gets 5's I would have 56 meaning I'm pretty much in. Somehow I don't think would be the case but nice thought...hahaha.

does anyone know if they use your AADSAS gpa in the gpa or gpa w/o column? Also, are they more leninent with this formula as the cycle progresses or more harsh? I can see it going either way because they could be letting a score of 49 in now knowing the cycle is half done and they want to fill the class OR they could be saying no only a score of 51+ is acceptable not (instead of using 50 as the low mark) because they have less seats to offer.

Did anyone who has an upcoming interview calculate this and find that even with a perfect score they might not be above 55? above 50? above 45? anyone get in already whose scores don't follow this formula?

I have a 36 pre-interview score and I haven't heard back from UNLV at all.

Do they consider your weighted, or unweighted GPA (ie GPA or GPA w/o)?

Reactions: 1 user
22.8 without an interview. Well, I had hope , but I guess I should not ... now :(