UCLA Ortho Scandal (and others)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrthoRules

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just read about the big UCLA Orthodontics Scandal which was a big story on Drudge Report today. That is pretty impressive! Here is the link if you haven't seen it: http://dailybruin.com/news/2007/nov/13/donations-influence-admissions/

Let me share some of my opinions about this. First of all, I feel that this should at minimum cost the school their program directory, chair and possibly dean. This is a slap in the face to UCLA as a whole and also the Orthodontic community. I personally enjoy how now it has been established that not 1 but 2 ortho programs admittedly have positions for sale. (See Jacksonville OEC scandal from a few months ago)

I don't really feel that anything is amazing about this, most of us who applied to ortho feared that this was the case. I wonder how many other programs do questionable things whether it is accepted legacies or more subtle "pay-offs." One of my personal favorites has to be at "The Ohio State University" While I was applying last year I heard several candidates and residents told me that OSU accepted a mediocre candidate (I don't like to name names) so that his brother (a top QB prospect) would go to OSU. I was told that at best he was in the middle of his class yet now he is a current resident in their orthodontics department. This sort of questionable activity is rampant I fear.

I feel that this invites a discussion and would like for others to share stories of "shady dealings" that they have heard about in the past.

Members don't see this ad.

Aren't some of the residents named in that article still in the program? That's gotta be weird

I'm surprised they actually named the students under suspicion. Well at least now it's clear why UCLA dropped out of the match last year. Funny how they pointed out that one of the students only applied to UCLA for ortho and was subsequently accepted.

I remember entering the interview room at a program to find a panel of a foreign research assistant, a faculty member, and a current resident. The following year I was invited to re-interview at this same program. The research assistant on my interview panel from the previous year was walking around with a suit on because s/he was instead an applicant this time. At GORP the next year, I noticed this person was a first year resident at that same program so obviously they had taken this person. Must be nice to listen in on all of the applicant interviews and participate in the making of the rank list, and then turn around and be an applicant the following year. This was at one of those programs notorious for filling 95% of its spots with people affiliated with the home dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me just state up front that I applied to, was accepted to, and declined, an ortho residency at a former OEC program.

But... at least with OEC I had the opportunity, along with everyone else, to buy my way into the profession of orthodontics. Since my family does not have deep pockets, and I have no family members who are orthodontists I can't compete with those that do. I know most positions are not for sale, but none of them should be.

From what I understand UCLA dropped out of the Match this year. If the reports out of UCLA are true, however, I have to believe some violation of the Match policy was committed in the past by giving preferential treatment. They should be called on that and disciplined appropriately.

For all of us spending money, time, sleepless nights, and placing our futures on hold, this is disheartening. If this is true, I hope UCLA is dealt with swiftly and firmly. I also hope the orthodontic community is as passionate about denouncing the purchase of residencies anywhere in the educational system, as they were about purchasing them through business (i.e. OEC). I've heard many people suggest the profession could not afford to have outside interest allowing unqualified individuals into the profession. Unfortunately, as some have suspected, there is probably more than enough of that going on from the inside.

Much like our political system, money and power in our educational system appears to speak very loudly.

I've always had my thoughts about the faculty in that department... bout time they were exposed. Props to Dr. Beumer for standing up to principles beyond "nice clinics" and the "competitive edge".

The thing is though, if one does an audit of all the ortho programs in the country, UCLA would not be the only one coming up positive for shadiness.

Unfortunately, from now on, every time I meet someone from UCLA ortho I am going to be thinking, "Is this one of those douchebags that bought his/her way in?"

UCLA is not the only place where this happens. I can name several schools where legacies were obviously given preferential treatment. Money is undoubtedly involved in many of the cases.

I wonder if anyone would feel different if they had children applying and had given a lot of money over the years.

I'm not saying it's right, but I do find it surprising that many of you all are shocked this goes on. This happens everywhere in life. It sucks, but that's how it is.

When I was in dental school, since I knew I was interested in pedo, I made it my goal to do so well that i would overcome all of that BS.

"UCLA is not the only place where this happens. I can name several schools where legacies were obviously given preferential treatment. Money is undoubtedly involved in many of the cases."

Let's hear it. Who are these programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
For me the reason this is more upsetting because it's a top program in an esteemed university. And it's the power and rich message that it delivers that make me uncomfortable. I dont come from any big background or rich family, but I do want to believe I still have equal chance as the rich kid next to me. If some guy is very desperate for a spot in ortho and pays for one in a small school somewhere, I think it wont generate as much noise as this one. For me it's the fact that these people dont even have to work for it and they are guarantee a place in a top program like this, because they have a rich dad is just disgusted me...

I am not applying to ortho, but I do know people that applied to UCLA this year and got rejected. Top in class, high board score etc the whole package. They went through the whole application process, fly over for an interview, then got reject. I think everybody will be angry if they realize that some if not all the spots they are compete for have already been reserved... I heard they took 3 ppl from harvard this year. Now no offense to anyone, maybe they all very qualified, but one just cant help to start wonder things after reading the article...

I guess favorism is everywhere, we 've all heard or seen it. But somehow we expect a well established famous school should be able to retain its integrity, and it certainly failed our expectation...

For me the reason this is more upsetting because it's a top program in an esteemed university. And it's the power and rich message that it delivers that make me uncomfortable. I dont come from any big background or rich family, but I do want to believe I still have equal chance as the rich kid next to me. If some guy is very desperate for a spot in ortho and pays for one in a small school somewhere, I think it wont generate as much noise as this one. For me it's the fact that these people dont even have to work for it and they are guarantee a place in a top program like this, because they have a rich dad is just disgusted me...

I am not applying to ortho, but I do know people that applied to UCLA this year and got rejected. Top in class, high board score etc the whole package. They went through the whole application process, fly over for an interview, then got reject. I think everybody will be angry if they realize that some if not all the spots they are compete for have already been reserved... I heard they took 3 ppl from harvard this year. Now no offense to anyone, maybe they all very qualified, but one just cant help to start wonder things after reading the article...

I guess favorism is everywhere, we 've all heard or seen it. But somehow we expect a well established famous school should be able to retain its integrity, and it certainly failed our expectation...
what does it matter if they took 3 people from harvard this year? :confused:

UCLA is not the only place where this happens. I can name several schools where legacies were obviously given preferential treatment. Money is undoubtedly involved in many of the cases.

Yeah, but there is a difference between what UCLA has done and the typical Daddy Orthodontist donating a bunch of cash on his own initiative with the hopes that his poorly performing prodigal son will be elevated to the top of the applicant "legacy list" at an ortho program. Apparantly UCLA actually was offering the spot, then making the statement that a sizable donation could ensure that the spot remained available for the applicant. This isn't the same as your standard "legacy spot".

Wow, I just read about the big UCLA Orthodontics Scandal which was a big story on Drudge Report today. That is pretty impressive! Here is the link if you haven't seen it: http://dailybruin.com/news/2007/nov/13/donations-influence-admissions/

Let me share some of my opinions about this. First of all, I feel that this should at minimum cost the school their program directory, chair and possibly dean. This is a slap in the face to UCLA as a whole and also the Orthodontic community. I personally enjoy how now it has been established that not 1 but 2 ortho programs admittedly have positions for sale. (See Jacksonville OEC scandal from a few months ago)

I don't really feel that anything is amazing about this, most of us who applied to ortho feared that this was the case. I wonder how many other programs do questionable things whether it is accepted legacies or more subtle "pay-offs." One of my personal favorites has to be at "The Ohio State University" While I was applying last year I heard several candidates and residents told me that OSU accepted a mediocre candidate (I don't like to name names) so that his brother (a top QB prospect) would go to OSU. I was told that at best he was in the middle of his class yet now he is a current resident in their orthodontics department. This sort of questionable activity is rampant I fear.
I feel that this invites a discussion and would like for others to share stories of "shady dealings" that they have heard about in the past.

The only thing "shady" here is your ignorance regarding your future dental colleagues.

Please get your facts straight before you post things that could be mistaken to be fact and possibly damage the credibility of other dentists/orthodontists. It is too easy to type crap that can be very damaging to others.

For the record, I graduated from Ohio State and know who you are referring to - incorrectly, I might add. FYI, his brother was no longer a "top QB prospect" as you report that you were told. Instead he was already on the football team for a few years BEFORE the resident was in the position to apply for the program.

Please think about your actions before you type. You would not like to have your reputation tarnished by others who carelessly type nonsense. Please give others the same courtesy or consider finding another message board to visit. Thanks.

what does it matter if they took 3 people from harvard this year? :confused:

Well, Harvard does have the highest donations made to a private school by its alums, by far exceeding any other school...just some food for thought.

Is anyone really surprised by this? It's been going on forever. I have seen it.

Well, Harvard does have the highest donations made to a private school by its alums, by far exceeding any other school...just some food for thought.

Harvard's philosophy is that each school functions as an independent entity. Harvard College (undergrad) is rich. Harvard School of Dental Medicine is NOT. In fact, giving is relatively low at ALL dental schools compared to other professional schools, and Harvard is no exception. My parents are middle class, and have made a whopping donation of ZERO dollars to the university to pay for my admissions. Glad I was able to buy my way in. My parents are not dentists (nor orthodontists).
My classmates that have been selected for the ortho residency at UCLA are pretty awesome ppl. For those of you that had "top" scores and went to interviews and were not selected...... it may not be ALL political. I feel that once you make it to an interview, it's more about your personality and how memorable you are as a candidate.
Have a blessed day!

Unfortunately, from now on, every time I meet someone from UCLA ortho I am going to be thinking, "Is this one of those douchebags that bought his/her way in?"

Well, from what I have heard UCLA's ortho program is not the only scandal the SOD has. Didn't they just find out that a dozen or so of their DDS students were pooling questions from Boards and compiling study questions? That is also a scandal (although I do believe that they are not the only ones guilty of this). This is really sad because I visited the school just a while back and liked it; I was thinking that, if they accept me, they would be my top choice given their location and quality of their program. Now, though, given these embarrassing scandals, I am not so sure they are my top choice anymore, though, precisely because I fear the kind of attitude people might have expressed by Jaybe.

The 3 Harvard students who are accepted this year are great appliants. They have many interviews at many competitive orthodontic programs throughout the country.

i think a good question to pose here is What does this say about the ortho specialty in general? How many graduating residents have been given licenses to practice ortho without being qualified?? How will the Ortho community respond to this?

I personally think the entire top tier of the Ortho dept at UCLA needs to be removed and banned from academia. There should be ZERO tolerance for this kind of stuff and UCLA should be made an example of in order to deter any future infringements by faculty across the country at PUBLIC institutions.

Even though govt funding has been cut, the fact that funding WAS given to the ortho dept by California tax payers means that they are held liable for criminal investigations when giving preferences like this.

"UCLA is not the only place where this happens. I can name several schools where legacies were obviously given preferential treatment. Money is undoubtedly involved in many of the cases."

Let's hear it. Who are these programs?

My point is not to rat out programs. If you haven't seen anything like this before then you must either be in second year dental school or not particularly observant. I am simply stating that nobody should be surprised by this occurrence. It has been going on for years.

or...
option 3: I wanted to know if any of the programs you "know about" are any of the ones on the rank list I have to submit by tomorrow.:idea:

Does UCLA stand for

U (without)
C ash or Clout
L ack
A dmission

or...
option 3: I wanted to know if any of the programs you "know about" are any of the ones on the rank list I have to submit by tomorrow.:idea:

You can PM me and I will look at your list, but I don't want to go blasting people on this board. Too many people know where I live.....:eek:

This is so not true.

The random entry of harvard into the discussions on the thread makes me feel like people are just interested in bashing schools that some would describe as "top." UCLA, Harvard, which others... ?

This is so not true.

Actually, it is like totally so true.

From the following: http://www-tech.mit.edu/V127/N39/endowment.html

"On Wednesday, Harvard announced that Mohamed A. El-Erian, the head of its $35 billion endowment, would return to the Pacific Investment Management Company after a year and a half in Cambridge.

Many were stunned. Harvard rests at the heart of more concentric circles of power than any other institution. Its endowment, the largest in the country, is also one of the most successful, continuing its winning streak with a 23 percent return for the year that ended June 30"

Actually, it is like totally so true.

From the following: http://www-tech.mit.edu/V127/N39/endowment.html

"On Wednesday, Harvard announced that Mohamed A. El-Erian, the head of its $35 billion endowment, would return to the Pacific Investment Management Company after a year and a half in Cambridge.

Many were stunned. Harvard rests at the heart of more concentric circles of power than any other institution. Its endowment, the largest in the country, is also one of the most successful, continuing its winning streak with a 23 percent return for the year that ended June 30"

AGAIN, this is HARVARD COLLEGE's money. The dental school, Business school, etc. are all COMPLETELY separate from the undergrad. Each school must do it's OWN fundraising. We don't even share money with the medical school.

I apologize for bringing up harvard. My point being, before hearing about the scandal, I wouldnt give any second thoughts on this. But now, I cant help but wonder, and I believe I wont be the only one in the dental community to have this feeling. I feel unless I personally know the resident, otherwise I'll always look at them with a question mark from now on. Ppl jump out and defend their school and classmates, that's fine, I'll probably do the same if my friend got in...

Does this affect anything? probably not. They may be great guys, or really less qualified for the spot, they might still turn out to be a great ortho. I seriously dont care, and I doubt their patient will care. This news is on LA Times headline btw, but I think it has a greater impact in the dental community rather than the general public. What bothers me is the money play, and the open offering of such things...

I doubt anything will be done by the school though, because my friend in UCLA told me they all receive an email from the dean that deny the accusations, only stating they will "review" the admission policy, and the article did say the school's investigation is inconclusive or something (cant remember the exact quote), so it smells like cover up to me. It make sense because how can these things be going on for 4 or 5 years at least without the notice of the dental school. I've heard things about their dean too, from their alumi... it will be interesting if the snowball starts to become bigger and bigger, but I dont think it will happen.

i think a good question to pose here is What does this say about the ortho specialty in general? How many graduating residents have been given licenses to practice ortho without being qualified?? How will the Ortho community respond to this?

I personally think the entire top tier of the Ortho dept at UCLA needs to be removed and banned from academia. There should be ZERO tolerance for this kind of stuff and UCLA should be made an example of in order to deter any future infringements by faculty across the country at PUBLIC institutions.

Even though govt funding has been cut, the fact that funding WAS given to the ortho dept by California tax payers means that they are held liable for criminal investigations when giving preferences like this.

Just to play a little devil's advocate......Does buying your way in mean that you are "unqualified" to be an orthodontist? Does the fact that you were number 11 in your class of 100 (not top 10 percent) mean that you are an idiot? Of course not. The reason these people don't get in is because it is a competitive process in which lots of great people apply. In theory I would imagine that at least 50 percent of those who DON'T get in are "qualified."

who cares about ortho anyhow these days?

endo is the new ortho. ;):)

My point is not to rat out programs. If you haven't seen anything like this before then you must either be in second year dental school or not particularly observant. I am simply stating that nobody should be surprised by this occurrence. It has been going on for years.
Yes, this may occur quite a bit. But you are forgetting that UCLA is a PUBLIC institution that is receiving funding from the state. This would not have been that big of a deal if it was a private school. Iinformation concerning the conduct of business in a public university is a right of every citizen. I wonder if the donations are traceable?

Well, from what I have heard UCLA's ortho program is not the only scandal the SOD has. Didn't they just find out that a dozen or so of their DDS students were pooling questions from Boards and compiling study questions? That is also a scandal (although I do believe that they are not the only ones guilty of this). This is really sad because I visited the school just a while back and liked it; I was thinking that, if they accept me, they would be my top choice given their location and quality of their program. Now, though, given these embarrassing scandals, I am not so sure they are my top choice anymore, though, precisely because I fear the kind of attitude people might have expressed by Jaybe.

As long as you don’t do anything wrong, you should not worry about what others might think about you. Don’t let a few bad apples in the dental school affect your decision. You will miss a huge opportunity to become a great dentist (or a specialist if you want to specialize) by declining the offer from UCLA. UCLA will have to clean up its mess and things will get better in the future.

The only thing "shady" here is your ignorance regarding your future dental colleagues.

Please get your facts straight before you post things that could be mistaken to be fact and possibly damage the credibility of other dentists/orthodontists. It is too easy to type crap that can be very damaging to others.

For the record, I graduated from Ohio State and know who you are referring to - incorrectly, I might add. FYI, his brother was no longer a "top QB prospect" as you report that you were told. Instead he was already on the football team for a few years BEFORE the resident was in the position to apply for the program.

Please think about your actions before you type. You would not like to have your reputation tarnished by others who carelessly type nonsense. Please give others the same courtesy or consider finding another message board to visit. Thanks.

I am sorry if you don't agree with what I said but I stand by it since so many people told me this story. One thing that I meant was that he was accepted to dental school to woo his brother to the university. I also feel that there was definitely something shady when he got into ortho. Several OSU classmates of his told me that he was in the middle of the class in terms of GPA and board scores. If you know his rank or board scores please feel free to post them or PM me but I stand by this report.

Believe me I think about my actions before I post. I did not name this person's name because I don't want people to know who it is unless they are willing to google search former Buckeye QBs and find which resident shares the same surname. I am sure that very few people who read this post are willing to do that so there will be no-harm-done. I am sorry that you are offended that I called out your dental school but I think this is one incident where they are as questionable as your sports programs who appear to always be under investigation

Ouch... you must be from U of Michigan LOL....

I am sorry that you are offended that I called out your dental school but I think this is one incident where they are as questionable as your sports programs who appear to always be under investigation

I am sorry if you don't agree with what I said but I stand by it since so many people told me this story.

I am sorry that you are offended that I called out your dental school but I think this is one incident where they are as questionable as your sports programs who appear to always be under investigation

The point of my post is not to reject your right to have an opinion. I am not offended that you called out my dental school. As a recent graduate, trust me, I have plenty of other fresh wounds from the graduation process, as I'm sure many others from my school and others have. It is just part of the normal process I suppose.

My point is that you are ruining the reputation of a colleague based on something that you were "told", and I DO find this offensive. :thumbdown:

I do not know if you are upset that you did not get into the OSU program, or if you never had the desire to go there at all. Regardless, please refrain from making statements based on "what you were told" unless you can back them up with facts.

We are all dentists, and there is no a need to bash each other. We have all worked hard to get where we are. Best of luck to you in your residency. Peace!

A letter was just sent out to the UCLA Dental School from the Chief Resident of the ortho program.

November 14, 2007
To the Daily Bruin Editorial Board:

Mr. Faturechi’s article entitled “Donations Influence Admissions”, published on November 13th in the Daily Bruin, regarding the UCLA orthodontics program has unfortunately demonstrated that the Daily Bruin has the same standards for journalistic integrity as a tabloid. The article is rife with twisted facts and misinformation in hopes of giving legs to a flimsy accusation.

The article begins by stating that the “orthodontics residency program has violated University of California policy and standards” but then goes on to contradict itself by stating that the Chancellor’s office found “no credible and convincing evidence” to support this allegation. In another example of conflicting statements the author suggests that certain applicants “were automatically advanced over other students despite their lower test scores and grades”. The author later reveals this statement to be unfounded by saying that “grades and national board scores were not available for all the residents in question”. The author attempts to shore up his weak allegations by providing the class rankings of two residents in the following sentence. However, those are simply rankings and not grades or scores. Within the dental community it is acknowledged that class rankings are not always reliable since each school has a different way of performing the rankings and some don’t rank students at all.

Mr. Faturechi also fails to get his facts straight on some very key issues. He states that “in 2005, Dr. Norman Nagel pledged half a million dollars. His son was admitted the next year”. This statement is untrue since Dr. Nagel’s son was admitted in 2005, not the “next year” in 2006 as the author incorrectly states. Given the accusations leveled within the article this is a very important point. The author again makes a false statement when he says that the daughter of Dr. Bales was admitted in 2003, when in reality she was admitted in 2002. The author has conveniently switched these dates thereby creating a story where previously there was none.

The author claims that with the exception of my father, “none of the residents and donors implicated could be reached despite numerous attempts to contact them”. This statement is also false since Mr. Faturechi did speak with Dr. Norman Nagel regarding his donation but has apparently decided to omit this and fails to quote any of their conversation.

The reporter also participated in unethical journalistic practices when on at least one occasion he called a resident and left a message failing to acknowledge that he was a journalist and instead claimed to be an old friend from college in hopes of tricking the resident into returning his call. The truth is that this resident completed their undergraduate education elsewhere and had never met Mr. Faturechi in college as he claimed in his message.

In keeping with the article’s pattern of misinformation the author claims that an “accepted resident with ties to a major donation was said to have applied only to UCLA’s orthodontics program” and goes on to call this “an unusual choice”. The reality is that the resident in question applied to numerous programs, not just UCLA. The author attempts to support his claim by saying that at “an informational event” the applicant boasted to another applicant of only applying to one program. The author goes on to supposedly quote the other applicant saying that “It was almost like she knew she was going to get an interview”. The problem with these last two claims is that the orthodontics program does not hold anything that could be remotely described as an “informational event” for prospective applicants. It should also be noted that the first time any two applicants to the program meet is at the interviews themselves. This simple fact makes the claim that one applicant said to another applicant that she “knew she was going to get an interview” nonsensical since the meeting of two applicants could only occur at the interviews themselves. More seriously these glaring inaccuracies call into question whether this event attributed to an anonymous applicant even occurred.

The author again mixes fact with fiction when he addresses my personal situation by stating that in “2004, Dr. Bruce Molen pledged $400,000. His son was admitted the next year”. I was not admitted in 2005 as the author would have you believe, but was admitted in 2004 before any donation had been made. Let me take a moment to address my personal situation since I was never contacted by phone or email regarding this article despite the author’s claim that “none of the residents” could be reached for comment after “numerous attempts to contact them”.

My father, Dr. Bruce Molen, graduated in the first UCLA dental class in 1968. While my father was in dental school my mother was also a student at UCLA. After graduating in the top of his class my older brother, Dr. Richard Molen, was the third to attend UCLA when he began his orthodontics residency in 1999. I also have a younger brother who is currently enrolled in UCLA’s law school. After being admitted to the orthodontics program in 2004 I began my residency in 2005 following my graduation from Loma Linda University School of Dentistry.

Because of my family’s long association with UCLA my father and mother had a desire to give back to the university via a monetary donation. This is something they had planned on doing for years but had waited to do until the last of their children who wished to attend UCLA had been accepted in order to avoid having their donation’s intent misinterpreted. Instead my father is now having his good name dragged through the mud for the sake of a sensationalized story. By simply flipping the date of my father’s donation and the date of my admission the author has taken my father’s gracious donation to our family’s alma mater and turned it into something dirty. Shame on the Daily Bruin, its editorial board, and Mr. Faturechi for failing to check their facts in an effort to create a story where there was none. If you are going to call someone’s character into question you should at least check the facts of your story before publishing it.

My parents have a long history of donating to schools that they have attended and in some cases to schools they’ve never attended, but whose missions they support. For example, my father has donated in the past and continues to donate to the University of Washington’s orthodontics program despite the fact that none of my siblings have attended or will attend that program.

The qualifications of an applicant are not something that should be made public since every situation is different. However, in order to reveal the truth behind these false accusations I will personally share what some of my qualifications as an applicant were. Regarding board scores I scored in the top 10% of my dental school class on both parts 1 and 2 of the national boards and was subsequently awarded the Gold Award for Academic Excellence to honor this achievement. My dental school research also received numerous awards including third place nationally at the International Association for Dental Research meeting. I was on the Dean’s List of my dental school each year of my attendance and was inducted into the American Dental Association’s prestigious International Association of Student Clinicians. Finally, I was elected by my peers from across the entire U.S. to serve as the national Speaker of the House for the 14,000+ members of the American Student Dental Association from 2004 to 2005. These are just a few of my qualifications which I share, not to be boastful, but to show that the accusation that my resume was “subpar” is inaccurate at best at libel at worst.

Not surprisingly the factual mistakes in this article are not limited to the dates of the donations and admissions. The article also incorrectly identifies Dr. Darrell Spilsbury as the president of the UCLA Orthodontic Alumni Association despite the fact that his term ended in June 2007 and he is not the current president. I was disappointed to note that the Daily Bruin Editorial Board’s editorial dated November 14th, and entitled “State Funds at Root of Donation Controversy”, perpetuated this mistake and actually called for Dr. Spilsbury to resign, which would be difficult given that he is not the current president.

The author gets his facts wrong again when he states that the Faculty Executive Committee “is in the process of implementing the investigation report’s recommendations” where in reality the recommendations have already been implemented throughout the school. The school’s admissions policy based on these recommendations can actually be found on the dental school’s website and is dated July 12, 2007. After considering all of these non-factual statements and mischaracterizations one must call into question the validity of the numerous anonymous sources and quotes the author relies upon to support his accusations.

Regarding the incident involving Kent Ochiai it is well documented that a rogue alumnus, acting on his own, approached the candidate despite being instructed not to by the department. As soon as the department discovered that the candidate had regrettably received a phone call from this alumnus they contacted the applicant to reemphasize that he was already accepted into the program and that his acceptance was unconditional. This information was given to the reporter during interviews with the department’s administration and was also verified by the internal investigation. This information however is blatantly missing from Mr. Faturechi’s article in an effort to present only one side of the story and to lead the reader to the author’s desired conclusions. In fact, when asked to describe his experience with the reporter Dr. Ochiai stated that Mr. Faturechi “was trying to lead me to say a lot of things”. Dr. Ochiai also went on to state that his role in the initial investigation was “just something you end up getting backed into”.

It’s unfortunate that the Daily Bruin chose to print a one-sided story with so many factual inaccuracies. In the “Journalist’s Creed”, written by Walter Williams, it states that a journalist should remember that “accuracy and fairness are fundamental to good journalism”. It is my hope that in the future the Daily Bruin will more closely review their articles for accuracy and fairness and will hold itself to higher standards than have been on display in this mistake-ridden article. In light of these corrections I would also hope that the Daily Bruin will revisit their protocols to determine how an article filled with so many inaccuracies was ever allowed to go to print. To remedy this journalistic negligence and to restore integrity to our school newspaper I request that the Daily Bruin print a correction of the mistakes contained within the article on its front page, giving the facts the same exposure that was given to the misinformation within this article. I would also ask that my comments be printed in their entirety or not at all.

Respectfully,
Dr. Aaron Molen
Chief Resident
UCLA Section of Orthodontics

OMG, I'm a believer.
This letter is very convincing. So b/c the resident got accepted in 2002 not 2003 there is no bases for the accusation? Wow very strong case.
Of course it is so inconceivable that the donation would be made later so that the corruption won't be so blatantly obvious.
What else?
did they get the resident's eye color wrong too?
Damn lying journalists.

my question is, why does orthodontics have chief residents? What are they used for? Do they make call schedules for wire bending sessions? What a funny statement. I think I know who this guy is, and he certaintly did not break 90 on part I. Notice how he says, top 10% instead of mentioning his actual score. I graduated from UCLA in 2005 and I know all that was reported to be true. Everybody knew even back then that there were shady stuff going on in orthodontics department. It truly is a disgrace for the university.

OMG, I'm a believer.
This letter is very convincing. So b/c the resident got accepted in 2002 not 2003 there is no bases for the accusation? Wow very strong case.
Of course it is so inconceivable that the donation would be made later so that the corruption won't be so blatantly obvious.
What else?
did they get the resident's eye color wrong too?
Damn lying journalists.

Yourbestfriend,
Thank you for posting this response from Dr. Molen. I'm glad to see that people are responding to this article with more facts, or at least the other side. It is not a disgrace to UCLA, but rather an eye-opener to our whole dental community to not immediately jump to conclusions without truly knowing the facts. It is a disgrace that so many people have formed such strong opinions about this article that seems to have strayed quite a ways from the truth. We are all taught to look at the sources of articles we read and to question everything before forming our own opinions and this case shouldn't be any different. While there might be some truth to the article, it seems that the journalist was bending the facts to make his case more convincing, which unfortunately in the end, makes him lose his credibility completely.

And I thought my contribution of $2000 was going to help my 87 board score and 11% class ranking. I better wire some more money tomorrow. Thank goodness for GradPlus.

This really is a terrible attempt to deceive. This article is really just an attempt to confuse and misdirect and a very poor one at that. I couldn't be bothered going through this whole article and its so easy to see through all this that comment is almost unnecessary, but in just the first paragraph we can see that their really is nothing to what he is saying.

The article begins by stating that the “orthodontics residency program has violated University of California policy and standards” but then goes on to contradict itself by stating that the Chancellor’s office found “no credible and convincing evidence” to support this allegation.
How is this a contradictory statement? The author is simply pointing out that naughty stuff is going on here and that the bad guy is saying that he didn’t do it. Is this anything new? Its like all of these CEO’s that committed fraud and stole from their companies investigating themselves and then announcing that there is nothing wrong going on. There are plenty of whistle blowers on the inside telling us that this stuff is happening.
In another example of conflicting statements the author suggests that certain applicants “were automatically advanced over other students despite their lower test scores and grades”. The author later reveals this statement to be unfounded by saying that “grades and national board scores were not available for all the residents in question”. The author attempts to shore up his weak allegations by providing the class rankings of two residents in the following sentence. However, those are simply rankings and not grades or scores.
Who cares about grades, its rankings that matter. If a specialty is generally extremely competitive and its common knowledge that top board scores and class rank are generally needed to get in than its unnecessary to list the rank and board score of every resident. We simply need to know who the outliers are. He is also trying to misdirect here because the semantics of GPA's and rankings are not as important as the fact that large donations were made at around the same time that these people with undeniably low qualifications were admitted.
Within the dental community it is acknowledged that class rankings are not always reliable since each school has a different way of performing the rankings and some don’t rank students at all.
The rankings may not be perfect but they are a better way of telling who is competitive then simply GPA’s.

What others said about the chief resident getting in only after they opened up an additional spot is completely true. I also heard him say that he only had two interviews. Loma Linda, and UCLA.

It is unfortunate that there is so much hate, bitterness and animosity on this forum. We are all in this profession together and should support each other to make the profession as a whole succeed. I have posted one post on this entire site and immediately get attacked for simply commenting that there might at least be another side to this. I guess after years of reading posts on this site, I should have known that respect is not something to expect at all. People throw false facts around all the time and don't respect the reputations of schools (or even specific people in this case) and readers immediately believe them unfortunately. Good luck to you all. I believe in Karma and Match day is coming up! Let's all keep our fingers crossed and think good thoughts :). Happy Thanksgiving.

It is unfortunate that there is so much hate, bitterness and animosity on this forum. We are all in this profession together and should support each other to make the profession as a whole succeed. I have posted one post on this entire site and immediately get attacked for simply commenting that there might at least be another side to this. I guess after years of reading posts on this site, I should have known that respect is not something to expect at all. People throw false facts around all the time and don't respect the reputations of schools (or even specific people in this case) and readers immediately believe them unfortunately. Good luck to you all. I believe in Karma and Match day is coming up! Let's all keep our fingers crossed and think good thoughts :). Happy Thanksgiving.

Yes, we are all in this profession together and you better believe whenever we encounter issues that are degrading and flawed to our profession - we will call it out. Not only call it out, but we should all be together on solutions and standards to prevent such things. Though I agree the bitterness is a bit over the top.

The fact that some illegitimate candidates have bribed their way into the profession by money or legacy is not new. We all know this has been going on. This is just the first time the information has been made so public and so detailed with names and dollar amounts. Regardless of which side you are on, alarm bells should be ringing loud and clear in your head by this report. It is just wrong - plain and simple. Molen's long-winded response is just trying to protect his name and school's reputation despite the obvious. I know UCLA has been considered a top 5 program, but after this I consider the program in the bottom 10.

Bottom-line. Only half of us that love ortho and apply get into a program. We all personally know well-qualified candidates that did not match. When 95% of us are all playing by the same rules and the other 5% have a different standard - it sucks. I know life is not fair and sucks sometimes but we all need to be on the same page here and not stand for this iliegitimatcy.

It is a shame to have a public institution with taxpayer money funding these residents. It is a "mockery of the merit based traditions and social values that have made the University of California the best and most admired public university system in the world today." Last point, if you are going to buy your way into a program, do it at a private institution where there is no stewardship and the press can't obtain your information.

A letter was just sent out to the UCLA Dental School from the Chief Resident of the ortho program.

November 14, 2007
To the Daily Bruin Editorial Board:

Respectfully,
Dr. Aaron Molen
Chief Resident
UCLA Section of Orthodontics

Interesting. Fifteen paragraphs discussing inacuracies in the article but not a single sentence on unequivocal denial of the allegations.

yikes to this thread! :(

I know three of next year's incoming UCLA ortho people, and let me say: I know for a fact they all have part I scores in the mid-ninties or high-ninties, they all had multiple interviews (i don't know details on this, but i'd say at least 8 or 9 interviews each), they're all well-rounded and awesome people, and most importantly - none of them have donated or been asked to donate tons of cash to the school!!

argh!! i don't know what's going on with UCLA. But i just needed to vent and say that not everybody there fits into the stereotype that bruin article portrays.

peace. and happy thanksgiving.