List of schools that don't accept CC credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyeblue0610

Texas MD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. I know there's many thread about this but it's the same response "some schools won't accept them"

Does anyone know of a site that lists the schools that will absolutely not take any science class credit from CC's, possibly by state

Or is it better to go through the tedious process of calling up each one. For me if they don't advertise that they won't accept them, I don't want to rock the boat and ask.

I don't mean taking them all just two that I can't fit in at my home school

Clarification: I am at a four year insitution. I want to take two sciences this coming summer at a CC

Members don't see this ad.

The title says it all. I know there's many thread about this but it's the same response "some schools won't accept them"

Does anyone know of a site that lists the schools that will absolutely not take any science class credit from CC's, possibly by state

Or is it better to go through the tedious process of calling up each one. For me if they don't advertise that they won't accept them, I don't want to rock the boat and ask.

I don't mean taking them all just two that I can't fit in at my home school

This is exactly why I chose to go to a four year straight out of highschool.
I am interested to see what schools look down on this.

This is exactly why I chose to go to a four year straight out of highschool.
I am interested to see what schools look down on this.

I am at a four year insitution and came right out of high school. I took some humanities credit classes this pass summer that usually have times that conflict with important major stuff.

I was just asking for next summer

Members don't see this ad :)
I think all of them accept cc credits.

I am at a four year insitution and came right out of high school. I took some humanities credit classes this pass summer that usually have times that conflict with important major stuff.

I was just asking for next summer

You would be foolish to take any prereq courses at a CC if you are at a four year already, but I am sure that you know this.

BU doesn't...not sure where else but I'm pretty sure this has been asked before

As far as going from a 4 year to a 2 year to take science courses, that may not be the wisest thing. Med schools in California do however accept CC credit. They just might question the 4 year 2 year thing.

An email from UCSF SoM:
UCSF does accept courses taken at community college and will also accept
letters of recommendation from community college faculty members.

An email from UCSD SoM:
"
Our general recommendation is that applicants take the most challenging
classes that they feel they can successfully complete. That
being said, we understand the financial considerations of applicants and
recognize community college courses. We DO have many
successful applicant that did the majority of their pre-requisites at a
community college. If you were to do this, I would recommend
taking a few "upper division" science courses at UCSD in"
addition to the organic chemistry courses.

Keep in mind, I did not originally attend a 4 year university.

You would be foolish to take any prereq courses at a CC if you are at a four year already, but I am sure that you know this.

Yeah, I'll be sure to tell my advisor about that since she's the one who mentioned it.

Yeah, I'll be sure to tell my advisor about that since she's the one who mentioned it.

You can do what you like, I am not one to argue with a person who has their mind set on something. However keep in mind that as an applicant you should do everything that you can to keep your application looking appealing. Taking organic chemistry, physics, etc. at a community college when they are available at your four year will definitely put a blemish on your application as far as some schools are concerned. If you are shooting for middle/lower tier then it may not be as big of a deal. But why risk it?

To answer your original question, I'm not aware of any medical school that strictly prohibits community college courses. It's more of a qualitative issue. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with taking a couple of science couses at a community college provided that your science GPA is in good standing at your four-year institution. The fear is that you may appear to be avoiding hard classes, and the credibility of your GPA's going to be damaged.

If your four-year institution will accept the community college credit and apply it toward your degree, then you'll be fine. I know that all Texas schools will accept CC credit as long as it's valid toward your degree.

I have a Bachelors in Engineering from India and now I'm planning on going to med school in houston Univ of Texas Medical school at Houston. I have not done my Pre-req's/MCAT yet. Still in research phase. The med school website tells me its ok to go to a CC for pre req's as long as its an accredited US institution. Here is what it says:

Can I take my prerequisites at a community or junior college?
Yes, courses taken at any accredited undergraduate institution are acceptable.

http://www.utsystem.edu/TMDSAS/FreqAskedQs/11-PrescribedCourses.htm#TableContent

My concern is, if I take all my pre req's at CC will my application be frowned upon? Do you recommend taking Bio, Physics, Org Chem at Univ of Houston & Gen Chem, Math, English at CC? I plan on going to Cy-Fair CC and also need recommendations if anybody has experience going to this CC and getting into a med school? I plan to parallely go to both Univ of Houston for Bio and
Cy-Fair CC for Gen Chem or Math at the same time so I can finish the pre req's quick. I'm a little confused as to which route I should go as far as getting my pre req's done at a CC or just go to Univ of Houston for all pre req's. Also if you have the approx figures for tuition at Univ of Houston/ Cy-Fair college pls let me know. I'm a Texas resident. Is it acceptable to med colleges if I do some pre req's at CC and some at Univ. How will they calculate the GPA if I do half at Univ and half at CC? Please advise. thank you in advance.

All schools accept CC credits. It will only affect you if your gpa or your MCAT sucks though, so don't worry about it. In all honesty, do you really think an adcom cares where you took your premed courses? (all of which are pretty basic outside of Organic Chem)

I think the bias, if it exists in some schools, is towards students who are enrolled in a four-year institution and take their hard-science pre-reqs at a CC during summer break or something. That looks like you're just trying to avoid the rigor of taking the course at a "real" university and/or along with other credits during a regular semester.

At the other end of the spectrum would be a non-trad who has long since finished a BA/BS from a four-year college and is now working full-time in a career and needs to take some science pre-reqs. If you can demonstrate that no four-year schools around you offer the courses in the evening, that the cost is prohibitive, or that there just aren't any four-year schools around you period then I don't think it would even be an issue.

So with very few exceptions, I don't think its so much of a "policy" against accepting CC courses but rather a qualitative thing where for individual applicants the reasons for attending CC will be analyzed and could end up being a liability.

Seems to me that, for the OP, the fact that a few humanities courses you want to take (I presume on an elective basis) should not keep you from enrolling in the science courses you need at your home school. Your situation sounds like it would fall more into the "avoidance" category if you choose to go through with it. Why not take the humanities courses at CC or just sacrifice them for now?

Thanks for the replies. I personally wouldn't apply to any California schools, being NOT from California and all.

I'm only taking physics because it clashes with everything else and it would be near impossible to take at my home school

University of North Carolina does not accept CC credits. I was told this in an email from their admissions dept.

Odd, I heard the opposite. "The School of Medicine accepts students from the full range of post-secondary institutions. Excellence, regardless of the setting, will be considered favorably."

They do, however, expect a 4 yr degree, and frown on students who rush through in less.