Lender incentives to decrease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twitch

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a note from my lender saying that since the feds cut their incentives, the lender will reduce incentives to us. It is likely that other lenders will do the same (to some degree?). This will take effect after the current financial aid year.

For instance the lender below was offering a 1% rate reduction on unsubs, but will no longer offer it after the current financial aid year unless feds re-instate their incentive. If you're currently in school and not graduating soon, check with your lender to see if they will discontinue incentives on any future loans. This should not effect existing/current loan incentives.

Text from lender follows:
Thank you for utilizing Graduate Leverage to mitigate your student debt burden. As part of our advisory service, we provide periodic updates on market rates and regulations. This is a general informational update and thus does not require any action on your part.

Regulatory Update

The recent passage of the College Cost Reduction and Accessibility Act has resulted in several significant changes for the federal student loan program.

Below is a brief overview of some of the changes impacting graduate students:

·Creation of Income Based Repayment Plan (IBR): A new government program available in 2009 provides a significantly reduced federal loan payment and potential savings on subsidized interest for qualifying individuals. IBR limits your annual debt payment to 15% of your discretionary income. Any interest on your subsidized loans not covered by your reduced payment is paid by the government for up to three years.

·Lender Subsidies Decreased: Future borrower benefits for federal loans will likely diminish across the industry as a result of the significant cuts to the fees lenders receive from the government. The benefits on your current loans with Graduate Leverage will not change.

Interest Rate Update

·The Federal Reserve has lowered the federal funds rate three times in the past quarter; on September 18, October 31, and December 11. As a result, the prime rate is now 7.25%. This affects all private (alternative) loan rates and creates an environment in which a private loan may be more attractive than a Graduate PLUS for some students.

Graduate Leverage is continuing to monitor the market, and will be sending your personalized recommendation to assist with loan selection early this spring. If you have any questions or need assistance, please call 888-350-8488.

Sincerely,

The Graduate Leverage Team

Members don't see this ad.

On a related note, does anyone know if the borrower benefits that were advertised when we took out our subsidized student loans are guaranteed (in the future)? I don't remember ever getting paperwork saying these benefits were available-- just what was on the lenders' website (Wachovia and THE).

And also, since THE says it's a not-for-profit lender, how come it's incentives aren't much (if at all) better than the for-profit lenders?

On a related note, does anyone know if the borrower benefits that were advertised when we took out our subsidized student loans are guaranteed (in the future)? I don't remember ever getting paperwork saying these benefits were available-- just what was on the lenders' website (Wachovia and THE).

And also, since THE says it's a not-for-profit lender, how come it's incentives aren't much (if at all) better than the for-profit lenders?

Because T.H.E. actually gives out their benefits unlike 80% of other lenders. Still a pretty nice deal at 1.3% during repayment. I won't be too happy if they remove this benefit since it won't take effect for 3.5 or more (hopefully) years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because T.H.E. actually gives out their benefits unlike 80% of other lenders. Still a pretty nice deal at 1.3% during repayment. I won't be too happy if they remove this benefit since it won't take effect for 3.5 or more (hopefully) years.

Unfortunately it may be sooner than that. The reduction in benefits will take place for any loan disbursed after 10/1/2007 when the president signed the new legislation into effect. Specifically, THE, states here that they are reviewing their repayment incentives. I hope they'll continue to offer it, because grad leverage flat out says they won't for next year. Note there is no backdating so the terms you previously held loans still hold. It's the future disbursements (so next financial aid year) that this will effect.

Unfortunately it may be sooner than that. The reduction in benefits will take place for any loan disbursed after 10/1/2007 when the president signed the new legislation into effect. Specifically, THE, states here that they are reviewing their repayment incentives. I hope they'll continue to offer it, because grad leverage flat out says they won't for next year. Note there is no backdating so the terms you previously held loans still hold. It's the future disbursements (so next financial aid year) that this will effect.

So since there are two disbursements this year my first will have a 5.5% rate and my second will have the 6.8% rate at repayment? Or will both of them have the same 5.5%/6.8%.

So since there are two disbursements this year my first will have a 5.5% rate and my second will have the 6.8% rate at repayment? Or will both of them have the same 5.5%/6.8%.

I suspect our January disbursement will have the same rates as the previous one because we're already pretty much locked in to our lenders right now. Changing the terms on the loans now would be a huge hassle for them with tons of notification issues.

What my lender said is the second disbursement for Spring 2008 is still considered the same financial aid year 2007-2008, so the same old rule applies. My guess is T.H.E would be similar but check with them.

I don't usually take out the max on my unsub. But my plan is to front load for Fall 2008 so as to get the better rate. Now my financial aid officer said I could wait till the very end of Spring 2008 to draw out the rest of the unsub. This way the clock starts ticking a little later - or a little earlier depending on how you look at it.

You are correct - lenders determine the terms of the loan based on the FIRST DISBURSEMENT - so the terms for the 07-08 school year would be set based on when your first disbursement was set.

Working for a lender has taught me that the changes to the student loan industry hit every lender - for profit and non-profit alike. The change in fees charged by DOE and the reduced subsidies received by lenders affects the amount of money they have left over to offer borrower benefits. Another factor that is also hindering borrower benefits in the future is the overall market unrest caused by the sub-prime mortgage companies. The unrest is increasing the cost to fund the loans on the front end.

Borrowers who will still be in school after 7/1/08 should definitely be paying close attention to what lenders WILL OFFER in the upcoming school years. Many lenders are still running their numbers and trying to figure out the best course of action.

You know what's funny? I've seen quite a few lenders who used to "contact me" go out of business lately. I mean its not funny but at least they weren't servicing any loans (thankfully). If its too good to be true, believe it. Some of them assured me they wouldn't go under then I check up on them and they are gone. Its all about consolidation (of business practices, not loans! ;) ) these days ...

Has anyone heard from T.H.E. about whether the previously higher repayment bonus of 1.3% will still apply to loans originated before 10/1/07, or if all loans now receive the lower bonus of .25%?

I used the same lender (Bank of America) throughout undergrad and grad school. Will it complicate things if I switch? The only reason I should switch is to take advantage of the benefits you guys mentioned above, right?

I used the same lender (Bank of America) throughout undergrad and grad school. Will it complicate things if I switch? The only reason I should switch is to take advantage of the benefits you guys mentioned above, right?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'switching'. As in taking out any new loans from another lender? Shouldn't be an issue, and the only complication is keeping track of two different lenders.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'switching'. As in taking out any new loans from another lender? Shouldn't be an issue, and the only complication is keeping track of two different lenders.

Yea, I have loans from Bank of America from undergrad and grad school and obviously I will need to take out new loans for med school. I just didn't know if having loans from different lenders would complicate matters at all when I need to repay/go into forbearance/defer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I have loans from Bank of America from undergrad and grad school and obviously I will need to take out new loans for med school. I just didn't know if having loans from different lenders would complicate matters at all when I need to repay/go into forbearance/defer.

No, you will just have to send out multiple deferment applications. It won't affect your eligibility.

With that being said, the T.H.E. benefits no longer exist.

Has anyone heard from T.H.E. about whether the previously higher repayment bonus of 1.3% will still apply to loans originated before 10/1/07, or if all loans now receive the lower bonus of .25%?

T.H.E. no longer honors repayment bonuses.

RockfordWF, I think DoctorWannaBe wants to know if the repayment incentives student borrowers were told they'd get for their previous (not new, upcoming) loans from THE are still in effect. I would think they would be, but if they're not-- we should be screaming and suing.

RockfordWF, I think DoctorWannaBe wants to know if the repayment incentives student borrowers were told they'd get for their previous (not new, upcoming) loans from THE are still in effect. I would think they would be, but if they're not-- we should be screaming and suing.

They are not. This is per my exit interview with the financial aid office at my school.

Well, I guess I was wrong. T.H.E. has suspended their bonus program for all lendees, and the suspension is supposedly temporary (sure). I guess there was a catch for going with them. :thumbdown:

http://www.northstar.org/bonus_terms.aspx

Adding that I am curious to know if we have any right to force them to make good on their promise to us. We relied on that bonus when picking T.H.E. as a lender. Getting rid of it is essentially violating our deal with them.

No matter how cynical and skeptical a person I'm told I am, I still get shocked by the corruption, fraud and ineptitude in our country-- all of which our government seems to have legalized!

I chose T.H.E. as the lender for the last 2 years of medical school (ever since I found out about them and their 'incentives' right here on SDN) because of their repayment incentives. Now they take them away arbitrarily? WTF?! If that were the case, I would have stayed with my original lender!

Someone needs to sue these liars. "99% of our borrowers get these incentives"..."non-profit"...pfft. There needs to be a class-action lawsuit against all the private student lenders. Put them all out of business!

And when America has a shortage of qualified, educated professionals-- maybe, just maybe, then it'll get serious about financing higher education for its young citizens.

Out of the several lenders I checked so far, only Access offers a .25% interest reduction for automatic withdrawals. Everybody else nada. I guess that makes it easy for me to choose. I called THE and they said things are still way up in the air. I couldn't even get a straight answer whether origination and default fees would stay at 0%.
I guess my next move is to see whether access will write in the MPN about the .25% reduction at repayment.
Anybody else had any more luck than I did?

Well, I guess I was wrong. T.H.E. has suspended their bonus program for all lendees, and the suspension is supposedly temporary (sure). I guess there was a catch for going with them. :thumbdown:

http://www.northstar.org/bonus_terms.aspx

Adding that I am curious to know if we have any right to force them to make good on their promise to us. We relied on that bonus when picking T.H.E. as a lender. Getting rid of it is essentially violating our deal with them.

New financial aid year = new set of rules/incentives. However, if you took out less money then was offered in the current FA year, then the lenders are obligated to honor the terms that you signed up for. So, for instance I signed up with Grad Leverage @ 5.8%. I didn't take out the entire amount I was awarded. I can go back and take out whatever is left for the current FA year. Moreover, AFAIK, lenders can't retroactively take away what was agreed upon. So my current loans (from the current FA year) @ 5.8 will stay there. New loans for the next FA year will have the full 6.8%.

Twitch, what you're saying was what I previously believed. But after I read the THE website that Doctor Bagel linked to, it appears THE is suspending its entire incentive program for previously-made loans and future loans. They're calling it a "temporary" measure...but I have my suspicions.

I think even THE borrowers that are now in repayment aren't getting the "THE Bonus" as they call it. Which is a little more skrewed up than what's happened to those of us not in repayment, yet. I wish someone in repayment with THE would confirm if they've lost their interest rate reductions...

New financial aid year = new set of rules/incentives. However, if you took out less money then was offered in the current FA year, then the lenders are obligated to honor the terms that you signed up for. So, for instance I signed up with Grad Leverage @ 5.8%. I didn't take out the entire amount I was awarded. I can go back and take out whatever is left for the current FA year. Moreover, AFAIK, lenders can't retroactively take away what was agreed upon. So my current loans (from the current FA year) @ 5.8 will stay there. New loans for the next FA year will have the full 6.8%.

Apparently T.H.E. had some fine print attached to their bonus program that said they could suspend it when market conditions were bad. Pretty lame, and I should have caught it. I guess the message is to always read the fine print. And straight interest reductions are probably harder to not honor than "bonuses."

I also just got an email from them confirming that the bonus is suspended for everyone.

So, who is best to go through for loans now? If THE doesnt have any incentives, i dont really want to continue borrowing through them.

I don't know. I'm going to see what Graduate Leverage is offering and check out the other big banks (BOA, Citibank, etc.). Even if no one has an incentive, I'm not going with T.H.E. anymore just because I feel like they've been somewhat deceptive.

I don't know. I'm going to see what Graduate Leverage is offering and check out the other big banks (BOA, Citibank, etc.). Even if no one has an incentive, I'm not going with T.H.E. anymore just because I feel like they've been somewhat deceptive.

I am looking as I type...it looks like Access offers a 0.25% reduction on Staffords for automatic withdrawals. That was the best I could find

I am looking as I type...it looks like Access offers a 0.25% reduction on Staffords for automatic withdrawals. That was the best I could find

This is really unfortunate. I had a feeling the credit squeeze would hit us, and here it is.

I sent an email to T.H.E. complaining about their lack of an apology, which I've got to admit is a big thing that's really rankled me about their announcement about the Bonus suspension.

Citibank has that, too, along with a 0.50 interest reduction when you enter repayment. Here's the fine print on that one -- it's the same for both Staffords and GradPlus.

"Automatic interest rate reduction granted at repayment are for Stafford Loans with first disbursements or guarantees after 1/1/08. Automatic interest rate reduction and all borrower benefits including these offers terminate upon loan delinquency or default. Interest rate reduction do not apply during periods of deferment or forbearance. To retain borrower benefits you must make and have your payments posted to your account no later than the scheduled due date. The benefit recovery feature for Stafford Loans provides reinstatement of the automatic interest rate reduction to delinquent borrowers after 24 consecutive on-time monthly payments anytime during the life of the loan. Our auto-debit payment program provides additional interest rate reduction during repayment when a borrower enrolls in the program and agrees to receive only electronic statements. This interest rate reduction will automatically terminate for payments returned for insufficient funds, delinquency or default."

Citibank has that, too, along with a 0.50 interest reduction when you enter repayment. Here's the fine print on that one -- it's the same for both Staffords and GradPlus.

"Automatic interest rate reduction granted at repayment are for Stafford Loans with first disbursements or guarantees after 1/1/08. Automatic interest rate reduction and all borrower benefits including these offers terminate upon loan delinquency or default. Interest rate reduction do not apply during periods of deferment or forbearance. To retain borrower benefits you must make and have your payments posted to your account no later than the scheduled due date. The benefit recovery feature for Stafford Loans provides reinstatement of the automatic interest rate reduction to delinquent borrowers after 24 consecutive on-time monthly payments anytime during the life of the loan. Our auto-debit payment program provides additional interest rate reduction during repayment when a borrower enrolls in the program and agrees to receive only electronic statements. This interest rate reduction will automatically terminate for payments returned for insufficient funds, delinquency or default."

Yep, I can confirm Citibank's offer. Right now it looks like it's the best out there. I also got off the phone with a rep at Sallie Mae. They have a 4% principal reduction after 12 months of on-time payments. I guess I need to crunch the numbers. He also advised to wait until after June 1st to sign a contract with a lender, due to new offers that might come up on the market.

Edit my previous post...citi charges 1% orig fee and 1.5% default fee. Definitely not the best deal!

Colleges Turn Away From Private Lenders

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]As Cuts in Subsidies to Banks Eat Into Benefits for Students,
Schools Start to Migrate to Federal Direct Loan Program

[FONT=times new roman,times,serif][FONT=times new roman,times,serif]By ROBERT TOMSHO
March 25, 2008; Page D1
Schools like Augustana College, in Rock Island, Ill., are taking another look at the federal government's direct student-loan program.
For years, the small liberal-arts school relied on private lenders to make federal loans to its 2,500 students. Guaranteed by the government under the Federal Family Education Loan, or FFEL, program, such private loans routinely came with benefits like discounted loan-origination fees and lower interest rates for graduates who made automatic payments.
But recently, many lenders told Augustana they could no longer promise to provide such benefits, citing cuts in the federal subsidies they receive and troubles raising capital in the securities markets. Coming on top of last year's ethics probes of the student-loan industry, it "really changed our whole outlook," says W. Kent Barnds, Augustana's vice president of admissions and enrollment.
Problems are mounting in the student loan business, as many lenders have stopped providing loans through the Federal Family Education Loan program and other institutions may not be able to step in with support. WSJ's Liz Rappaport reports. This fall, Augustana will stop doing business with FFEL lenders and join the federal direct-lending program. Under it, students borrow from the federal government through their colleges, and private lenders are eliminated from the picture.
So far this year, nearly 60 other institutions have moved to direct lending or applied to do so -- including the mammoth Pennsylvania State University system, with its 85,000 students; Boston's Northeastern University; Ohio's Mount Vernon Nazarene University; and Northern Illinois University. "I think we are going to start seeing a lot of schools switch over," says a congressional staffer who has worked on the financial-aid issue.
The federal government sets the interest rates and benefits for direct student loans. It sets maximum interest rates for FFEL loans, although lenders are free to offer discounts and benefits of their choosing. Because the two programs involve different processing systems, few institutions actively participate in both and students rarely get to choose between them.
Private lenders still dominate the federal student-loan market, estimated at $114.8 billion in fiscal 2007, which includes Stafford loans for students, PLUS loans for parents and graduate students, and consolidation loans for borrowers seeking to combine previous student loans under a single lender. About 4,500 colleges and other institutions actively take part in the FFEL program, compared with just over a thousand for direct lending. In fiscal 2007, private lenders provided about 82% of all federal student loans.
But for the many students whose schools don't participate in direct lending, borrowing stands to be more expensive for the 2008-09 academic year, as private-lender rebates disappear. Additional disruption could erupt if lenders now accepting FFEL loan applications withdraw from the program before the school year starts.
Financial-aid administrators say it is more important than ever to shop around for a lender and not to wait until summer to do so, as many students and parents traditionally do. On the political front, Democratic presidential contenders Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama have both indicated that, if elected, they would eliminate the FFEL program in favor of direct lending.
Many college administrators say the FFEL program still offers advantages. Sarah Bauder, financial-aid director of the University of Maryland, says private lenders and loan-guarantee agencies spend time educating students about personal finance and debt. "They work with the students from the moment they get their money," she says, adding that such efforts have helped Maryland maintain a 1.4% loan-default rate, compared with 4.6% nationwide.
But big lenders such as College Loan Corp. and the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency, or PHEAA, have said they will stop making FFEL loans for the fall term. Monday, Brazos Higher Education Service Corp., in Waco, Texas, announced it too would suspend making new loans. And with investors shunning securities backed by student loans -- a key source of capital for lenders -- a continuing exodus of lenders could prompt more colleges to consider direct lending.
No Crisis Foreseen
For the moment, most observers don't foresee the sort of crisis in FFEL loan availability that could spark a wholesale rush to direct lending. Although students won't begin borrowing in earnest for the 2008-09 academic year until late spring, Department of Education officials have yet to spot any problems with loan availability, and lending volume for both federal programs has been typical for this time of year.
Financial-aid professionals say nearly 2,000 lenders are still making FFEL loans, including big banks that aren't solely dependent on securities markets for funding sources.
Penn State, for one, isn't waiting to see what happens. About 40,000 of its 85,000 students have federal loans through PHEAA, which in recent years provided about 90% of all federal loans at the school. Faced with calls from worried families and the challenge of quickly finding new lenders for thousands of students, Penn State earlier this month opted to switch to direct lending.
Congressional leaders want the Bush administration to make sure the direct-lending system is ready to take on additional loan volume on short notice if many other schools follow Penn State's lead. Although the direct-lending program was occasionally plagued by processing delays in the late 1990s, Mark Kantrowitz, publisher of FinAid.org, a financial-aid Web site, says those problems appear to be resolved.
Department of Education officials believe they could readily handle double the $13 billion in direct loans they processed in fiscal 2007, although a bigger increase is likely to require more planning.
The Clinton administration rolled out the direct-lending program in 1993, aiming to eventually make it the only source of federal student loans. But congressional supporters of the private lenders blocked those plans and, since 1996, the number of active direct-lending schools has declined 20% to 1,051 as private lenders lured colleges away by promising speedier loan processing and better lending terms.
But along the way, some were also offering colleges and their administrators the sort of travel junkets, financial perks and alleged kickbacks that sparked last year's conflict-of-interest investigations by Congress and New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo. As a result, dozens of schools adopted tighter ethics codes and Congress last year passed the College Cost Reduction and Access Act. It sliced more than $20 billion of the federal subsidies that have given private lenders a competitive edge by allowing them to offer better loan terms, roughly halving them.
PJ-AM053_pjDIRE_20080324211640.gif
"The scandal contributed to the political environment that made the deep cuts possible," says Kevin Bruns, executive director of America's Student Loan Providers, a trade group representing private lenders. He maintains, however, that compared with direct lending, there are still bargains to be found on the FFEL side.
Narrowing Differences
Yet the competitive differences between the two programs are narrowing. The federal government is phasing out its loan-origination fees, which private lenders used to pay on borrowers' behalf, and is offering rebates to borrowers in the meantime. A 2005 federal law set the interest rate for direct PLUS loans for parents and graduate students at 7.9%, compared with a maximum of 8.5% for FFEL loans. And the direct-loan program is offering a new perk for borrowers who take public-service jobs, such as teaching: If graduates work in public service for at least 10 years, they get their loans forgiven.
On the FFEL side, interest-rate discounts are harder to find and benefits have been trimmed. MyRichUncle, the lending concern owned by MRU Holdings Inc., is offering undergraduate Stafford loans with a 5.8% interest rate -- a full percentage point below direct Stafford loans -- but the lender will no longer discount interest rates on federal PLUS loans.
Meanwhile, Cleveland-based KeyCorp has eliminated most of its benefits to borrowers, Wachovia Corp. has reduced the maximum rebate that Stafford borrowers can get for on-time repayments, and Wells Fargo & Co. has eliminated some so-called back-end benefits, such as immediate interest-rate reductions at repayment.

Write to Robert Tomsho at [email protected]

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120639948652760737.html?mod=todays_us_nonsub_pj

Got a note from my lender saying that since the feds cut their incentives, the lender will reduce incentives to us. It is likely that other lenders will do the same (to some degree?). This will take effect after the current financial aid year.

For instance the lender below was offering a 1% rate reduction on unsubs, but will no longer offer it after the current financial aid year unless feds re-instate their incentive. If you're currently in school and not graduating soon, check with your lender to see if they will discontinue incentives on any future loans. This should not effect existing/current loan incentives.

Text from lender follows:
Thank you for utilizing Graduate Leverage to mitigate your student debt burden. As part of our advisory service, we provide periodic updates on market rates and regulations. This is a general informational update and thus does not require any action on your part.

Regulatory Update

The recent passage of the College Cost Reduction and Accessibility Act has resulted in several significant changes for the federal student loan program.

Below is a brief overview of some of the changes impacting graduate students:

·Creation of Income Based Repayment Plan (IBR): A new government program available in 2009 provides a significantly reduced federal loan payment and potential savings on subsidized interest for qualifying individuals. IBR limits your annual debt payment to 15% of your discretionary income. Any interest on your subsidized loans not covered by your reduced payment is paid by the government for up to three years.

·Lender Subsidies Decreased: Future borrower benefits for federal loans will likely diminish across the industry as a result of the significant cuts to the fees lenders receive from the government. The benefits on your current loans with Graduate Leverage will not change.

Interest Rate Update

·The Federal Reserve has lowered the federal funds rate three times in the past quarter; on September 18, October 31, and December 11. As a result, the prime rate is now 7.25%. This affects all private (alternative) loan rates and creates an environment in which a private loan may be more attractive than a Graduate PLUS for some students.

Graduate Leverage is continuing to monitor the market, and will be sending your personalized recommendation to assist with loan selection early this spring. If you have any questions or need assistance, please call 888-350-8488.

Sincerely,

The Graduate Leverage Team
Can you disclose who your lender is? thanks

I hate the different interest rates the government set for the Stafford loans. It makes it harder to read tables comparing different lenders now that the subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans are at different rates and the graduate and undergraduate Stafford loans are at different rates.

I have been a fan of direct loans all along and really wish my school offered them. In fact, I think I might forward this article to them and suggest they look into switching over.

I'm graduating in May and all my loans are with T.H.E. Since T.H.E. suspended all their bonuses, is there a way to transfer my loans to another company to get some sort of repayment benefits? Would that involve consolidating all my loans with a lender who offers benefits for consolidation loans (and are there any lenders out there who are offering consolidation bonuses)?