? about ED pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanabdoc

.666k member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everytime I see a quote for an ED salary, what does this usually mean (they are usually in the 170-200 range.) Does this include benefits like health insurance, 401k matching, etc or are those separate. One quote said that base pay was 200k, but the benefits pushed the total "compensation" up to 300k, which sounds too good.

I guess this is a general question about all specialties though, do physicians usually get good benefit packages?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the job but here in AZ you can start over 200K salary plus another good bit in benefits. Throw in 2-4 yrs to partner and most places in tucson are making over 300k salary. This is very very variable by location however.

The salary surveys tend to be low. They all depend on the hourly rate, RVUs, the number of hours worked, and benefits. I looked at 3 jobs this year. Here are the numbers (not including benefits):

Job #1: 1st year - $196,000, 2nd year $300,000, 3rd year $325,000

Job #2: 1st year - $210,000, 2nd year -it's a secret, we'll tell you when you sign on.

Job #3: 1st year - $270,000, 2nd-4th year - $270,000, After 4 years - Secret

Members don't see this ad :)
Veers thanks for sharing but I was wondering what area were those jobs

Veers thanks for sharing but I was wondering what area were those jobs

#1 was Southwest, #2 was Midwest, #3 was Southeast. I'm not going to get more specific than that.

All of the salary surveys I've looked at show that pay is highest in the Southeast, followed by Midwest, and lowest in the Northeast. West Coast is in the middle.

Everytime I see a quote for an ED salary, what does this usually mean (they are usually in the 170-200 range.) Does this include benefits like health insurance, 401k matching, etc or are those separate. One quote said that base pay was 200k, but the benefits pushed the total "compensation" up to 300k, which sounds too good.

I guess this is a general question about all specialties though, do physicians usually get good benefit packages?

You may get lucky and hit the jackpot, but your job is likely going to be analagous to "you get what you pay for," in other words, you earn what you get paid.

If the job pays you $300 + benefits, it will likely suck in some aspect (ie high patient volumes:provider, unrealistic expectations for LOS, no specialty coverage, etc).

I found that when I wrote at the benefits, a lot of jobs seemed fairly similar in their offers.

I make lower than the quotes listed prior, but with all benefits covered.

The salary surveys tend to be low. They all depend on the hourly rate, RVUs, the number of hours worked, and benefits. I looked at 3 jobs this year. Here are the numbers (not including benefits):

Job #1: 1st year - $196,000, 2nd year $300,000, 3rd year $325,000

Job #2: 1st year - $210,000, 2nd year -it's a secret, we'll tell you when you sign on.

Job #3: 1st year - $270,000, 2nd-4th year - $270,000, After 4 years - Secret

So where are you going?

I am in the SW as mentioned before. The non academic places in town pay as follows.

#1) Starts at about $110/hr, you get an extra $5 per hour every 6 months for 2 yrs. Then you become a partner and make ~300k depending on a few factors.

#2) Not sure of the starting salary also about $110/hr, after 2 yrs you are a partner making about 270k salary

#3) $110 per hour $10 extra for nights, another $5/her per 6 months. in your 3rd yr you collect 50% of your billings about 250-300k, yr 4 60%, yr 5 100% ---> over 500k Per a partner who told me to my face. They do work a bunch and very hard for this money.

Which one would you pick? I'll give you a hint: I don't lke "secrets'.

So #1.. in the southwest.. Not shabby. Are you signed sealed and delivered. Is it in Az? If it isnt I dont care where it is. But if it is here I wouldnt mind hearing where. You could PM me but I understand if you dont want to.

Not sure how I'd feel about a secret salary offer. Sounds to me like secret= not good enough to help entice you to sign, so maybe if they let you imagine something really good it'll be better than year 5= same as year 1-4.

P.s. is it legal to have you sign a contract for something that you don't know the salary? Or is the contract period only for the first few years they tell you about?

Not sure how I'd feel about a secret salary offer. Sounds to me like secret= not good enough to help entice you to sign, so maybe if they let you imagine something really good it'll be better than year 5= same as year 1-4.

P.s. is it legal to have you sign a contract for something that you don't know the salary? Or is the contract period only for the first few years they tell you about?

Usually only for 1 yr at a time. The thing is that you dont sign on for the yr or 2, you sign on for the partnership track.

As far as secrets... there are a few places that say their salary is a "secret" and reportedly make 600k+. There are two groups I know of like this. One of them makes you sign a non disclosure so they obviously tell people who interview there and this has been leaked within my program.

And some groups who try an entice people with very high partnership salaries might not be on the level. I know this was a problem that plagued some anesthesia groups a few years back. They say: 200k to start, 225k year 2, then partnership year 3 at 400k. Then they fire the poor sap (or rather fail to renew the contract) at the end of the second year so they don't have to have another partner. So long as they can keep bringing new people in the door to replace the guy or two they fire every couple of years it can keep the partner's income artifically high. Eventually word usually gets out about the groups that do this (and sometimes it's just nasty rumors spread by people who were let go for cause and are bitter or in denial). I'm not saying that's what's going on with any of these offers, or that it even happens in EM. It is, however, something to keep in mind.

And some groups who try an entice people with very high partnership salaries might not be on the level. I

The job I looked at in the Southeast was promising $100 per hour with $20 in "RVU performance". After 4 years in the practice you become "Partnership eligible" and can be voted into the partnership during the 5th year. Becoming partner involves a buy-in which was a large amount of money. The exact amount of money needed to buy-in was a secret. Additionally the actual benefits of becoming partner (profit-sharing) were actually secret. The only thing guaranteed in the contract was the $100 per hour base rate of pay.

The job I actually took was great in that it spelled everything out for me. The contract specifically listed the hourly rate, the formula for calculating RVU pay, bonuses, profit-sharing, etc. Furthermore the buy-in did not involve money, but rather an investment of time, and after that time had been reached the partnership was guaranteed in the contract. Perhaps it doesn't pay as well as some of the more secretive partnerships, but I much prefer to have everything up front so that there is no disagreement later on.

When choosing a job, they'll try to wow you with all kinds of figures about bonuses, partnerships, and profit sharing. It's important to specifically ask what things are guaranteed in the contract, and what things are at the discretion of the group.

Out of curiosity, are the number of night shifts you'll work per month (or per year) spelled out in the contract or is it variable by whoever makes the schedule for the month? I've heard (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that, within some groups, you can minimize the number of nights you'll work per month but it comes with a (relative) pay cut. Am I wrong with this?

Out of curiosity, are the number of night shifts you'll work per month (or per year) spelled out in the contract or is it variable by whoever makes the schedule for the month? I've heard (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that, within some groups, you can minimize the number of nights you'll work per month but it comes with a (relative) pay cut. Am I wrong with this?

Many groups offer a night shift bonus of about $10-20, however typically you see less volume at night, so your RVU pay decreases. It generally evens out. Working all nights is great if you're on a strict salary and don't get incentive pay.

Most truly democratic groups will spread the night shifts out evenly.