Just a Thread for Social/Personality/Developmental/Cognitive/Experimental Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zbombvt

Bona fide Posting Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I figure this might need its own topic, but I wondered if anyone had heard about interviews to developmental psych programs? I know I applied to three and haven't heard from any of them yet, but also wondered if it is atypical for interviews to be granted for the developmental PhD. All three schools also have a clinical psych program. I applied to several clinical psych programs on top of these developmental programs (not at the same school though)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I realize the psych orientation of this forum is mostly clinical, and some school, but I know there are a few Social people (like me) as well as cognitive.

And I also know I'm driving myself more nuts by checking the interview thread, and seeing the universities programs I've applied to, and panicking, then second guessing myself because the Social profs may not be on the same timeline as the clinical profs.

So, here's a thread for all the Social, Personality, Developmetal, Cognitive, and Experimental Psych people. If you're not looking to get a license, you've come to the right thread.

Keep in mind, we can always wander back over there as we pull our hair out. They can treat our collective trichotillomania, we can't :laugh:

Thanks for starting this tread! Like you, I am suffering from some situational trichotillomania precipitated by ritualistic checking of the interview thread.

Actually there is only ONE of my schools listed on the interview thread (UCLA) so I am not too panic strickened. Additionally, I have other sources tell me that it is still very early in the process to hear back from programs. We have a good 2 weeks before we can really worry with good reason.

Anyway, I am a social personality person. Out of curiosity, have you made any promising contacts with your POIs? How have you done so? What do you want to research?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to a few (4) social programs as well. I have not yet heard back from any of them, but I will be sure to post here if I do. Two of the schools are already on the clinical list and I too had a moment of panic/fear/nausea when I first saw them. I'm just getting a little antsy since two of the apps were due December 1...

What schools are you applying to? What research are you interested in?

I'm also another social person! Though I'm not planning on applying until fall 2008.

What has everyone's experience been on interviews and that kind of thing? The professor I work for right now has mentioned to me that social generally doesn't even have interviews - they have an invite weekend after the acceptances go out in order to allow you to meet whoever you applied to work with. I trust her, but is that what everyone else has been discovering?

I'm also another social person! Though I'm not planning on applying until fall 2008.

What has everyone's experience been on interviews and that kind of thing? The professor I work for right now has mentioned to me that social generally doesn't even have interviews - they have an invite weekend after the acceptances go out in order to allow you to meet whoever you applied to work with. I trust her, but is that what everyone else has been discovering?

That's what I am learning as well. Some programs still have interviews but many, I am learning, are as your professor described. Perhaps that is why I haven't heard from any of my schools while many of the clinical programs are well into the process. Many social programs have one fewer step in the admissions process....no interviews.

I have been told by several that it is still quite early in the process to have been contacted by schools for any reason...good or bad.

So....what are your research interests? (addressing all that want to answer):)

I applied to some I/O psychology programs this year. I'll also report my results as they come.

What schools are you applying to? What research are you interested in?

I applied to Univ of Virginia, Univ of TX-Austin, UNC-Chapel Hill, and Univ of Colorado-Boulder with research interests in moral thinking. Where did you apply?

I applied to Univ of Virginia, Univ of TX-Austin, UNC-Chapel Hill, and Univ of Colorado-Boulder with research interests in moral thinking. Where did you apply?

UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford, Davis, U of Oregon, U of Denver, UT Austin (like you), Texas A&M, Boston College, U of Michigan, U of Wisc, Madison.

Broadly, I am interested in emotion, emotion regulation. Who do you want to work with at UT? I just read a cool paper by Damasio on PFC ablation and it's impact on moral judgement. Very interesting stuff.

I applied to 9 I/O programs. Only one of them requires an interview and this week I recieved an offer to interview there.

I applied to 9 I/O programs. Only one of them requires an interview and this week I recieved an offer to interview there.

Finally found someone who is applying to I/O programs this year other than me. :D

UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford, Davis, U of Oregon, U of Denver, UT Austin (like you), Texas A&M, Boston College, U of Michigan, U of Wisc, Madison.

Broadly, I am interested in emotion, emotion regulation. Who do you want to work with at UT? I just read a cool paper by Damasio on PFC ablation and it's impact on moral judgement. Very interesting stuff.

I want to work with Gosling at UT. My other research interest is in social perception and factors that affect it. I was specifically recommended by one of my current professors to check out Gosling's lab and research. Who do you want to work with there?

I've noticed that every time I go to the UT webpage, a pop-up ad appears. Does this happen to you too?! It's so weird...a school website with pop-up ads. haha

I really like Damasio's work as well. His name seems to keep popping up all over the place recently.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to work with Gosling at UT. My other research interest is in social perception and factors that affect it. I was specifically recommended by one of my current professors to check out Gosling's lab and research. Who do you want to work with there?

I've noticed that every time I go to the UT webpage, a pop-up ad appears. Does this happen to you too?! It's so weird...a school website with pop-up ads. haha

I really like Damasio's work as well. His name seems to keep popping up all over the place recently.

I want to work with Jenny Beer at UT. I really like her work, not only the focus but her design is very clean and organized. I am not familiar with Gosling's work.

I get the pop ups too!! Really annoying. That has happened one other time when I was checking out Rick Robins website at UCDavis--his site wants me to download some microsoft thing. Weird.

Good Luck.

I get the pop ups too!! Really annoying. That has happened one other time when I was checking out Rick Robins website at UCDavis--his site wants me to download some microsoft thing. Weird.

what the heck?! how does that even happen? I wonder if they know...?

Thanks, good luck to you too!

Has anyone here heard from any of their schools? at all? I wonder if we (social) are put on hold due to the SPSP conference Feb 7-10? I am sure all of my POIs are going to that. Do you think it is possible that we might not hear anything until after that conference is over? Mid-Feb?

So....what are your research interests? (addressing all that want to answer):)

I'm interested in studying cultural psychology. Right now, I just finished a study that looked at conformity in Westerners and East Asians. I'm moving on to another priming study this semester! It's great, I love it! :)

Who are you applying to work with at Wisconsin - Madison?

Has anyone here heard from any of their schools? at all? I wonder if we (social) are put on hold due to the SPSP conference Feb 7-10? I am sure all of my POIs are going to that. Do you think it is possible that we might not hear anything until after that conference is over? Mid-Feb?

Likely. The professor I work with is going to SPSP and she's been SUPER busy lately.

Who are you applying to work with at Wisconsin - Madison?

Likely. The professor I work with is going to SPSP and she's been SUPER busy lately.
Richie Davidson at Madison, Wisc....with some concerns. The man has an enormous lab and I am concerned I'd be lost in the masses. Also, I get the sense (just a gut feeling) that Wisconsin has a bit of 'cut-throat' competitiveness....ie: sharp elbows to succeed. I don't know how well I would do in that kind of academic climate. However, we match up very well (he agreed) and he is uber-prolific so I went ahead an applied. Why are you interested in Wisc? Do you go to school there? Which prof do you work for?

Thanks for the insight on SPSP. That actually helps my anxiety!!

Richie Davidson at Madison, Wisc....with some concerns. The man has an enormous lab and I am concerned I'd be lost in the masses. Also, I get the sense (just a gut feeling) that Wisconsin has a bit of 'cut-throat' competitiveness....ie: sharp elbows to succeed. I don't know how well I would do in that kind of academic climate. However, we match up very well (he agreed) and he is uber-prolific so I went ahead an applied. Why are you interested in Wisc? Do you go to school there? Which prof do you work for?

Thanks for the insight on SPSP. That actually helps my anxiety!!

Uh huh, I go to Wisconsin - Madison. Yeah, his lab is massive. I know undergrads who work with him and simply don't see him, ever. However, I'd think that would be different with grad students. He'd be busy, but from all accounts he's a good guy and would definitely make an effort to meet with you. He recently volunteered to do discussion for the undergrad psych association's movie nights, which is a completely voluntary, which speaks to how nice of a guy he is, even if he's busy. As for the cut-throat students, I see a fair amount of that among the undergrads, but I have no idea if it generalizes to the grad students.

I work with Yuri Miyamoto, who's part of the social area. Hoping to apply for grad schools for the 2009 school year!

Social/Cognitive applicant here! :) I'm applying to U of Michigan, too! (both programs) Who is your POI there?

Social/Cognitive applicant here! :) I'm applying to U of Michigan, too! (both programs) Who is your POI there?

I am hoping to work with Robin Edelstein. I am not sure how well matched we are. I am primarily interested in emotion regulation and relationships. She comes from a big adult attachment lab and I think she is interested in working memory as well. I am interested in attachment and how it mediates emotion regulation....but I think that is about the extent of overlap. Who do you want to work with at Michigan?

Hi everyone, I'm Behavioral Neuroscience....possibly the only one here? (I'm totally fine with that ;)). I'm fairly certain that the clinical applications have nothing to do with other areas, so I wouldn't expect to hear back from each school at the same time as the clinical folk. I've only heard about 3 of the 11 I applied to- invited to Purdue for an interview, and not invited to Oregon Health & Science University nor Emory :mad:. Still waiting to hear from UT Austin, Univ Houston, UNC Chapel Hill (swoon!), Tufts, Northeastern, ASU, UCSB and Univ Washington. I'm pretty much going crazy, I hate this uncertainty!

Hi everyone, I'm Behavioral Neuroscience....possibly the only one here? (I'm totally fine with that ;)). I'm fairly certain that the clinical applications have nothing to do with other areas, so I wouldn't expect to hear back from each school at the same time as the clinical folk. I've only heard about 3 of the 11 I applied to- invited to Purdue for an interview, and not invited to Oregon Health & Science University nor Emory :mad:. Still waiting to hear from UT Austin, Univ Houston, UNC Chapel Hill (swoon!), Tufts, Northeastern, ASU, UCSB and Univ Washington. I'm pretty much going crazy, I hate this uncertainty!

Welcome! Good luck with the rest of your schools. Who do you want to work with at UT Austin? I applied there as well. I am hoping to work with Jenny Beer.

Welcome! Good luck with the rest of your schools. Who do you want to work with at UT Austin? I applied there as well. I am hoping to work with Jenny Beer.

Thanks! I want to work with Francisco Gonzalez-Lima or Tim Schallert. I think UT Austin might be the highest ranked of the schools I applied to, so I'm not holding my breath :idea:. You have applied to some great schools, good luck! There is some really interesting emotion research at my school (UCSD), did you look into that at all?

I am hoping to work with Robin Edelstein. I am not sure how well matched we are. I am primarily interested in emotion regulation and relationships. She comes from a big adult attachment lab and I think she is interested in working memory as well. I am interested in attachment and how it mediates emotion regulation....but I think that is about the extent of overlap. Who do you want to work with at Michigan?

I currently manage a research project for Dr. Denise Sekaquaptewa and would love to continue in her lab as a student. I'm interested in her research on stereotypes against women in math & science fields. I wonder when they will start contacting people... :scared:

I'm applying to NYU, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, Rutgers, SUNY Stony Brook, CUNY, and New School for Social Research. As a broad category, I'm looking to research anything related to the childfree/childless-by-choice. This includes, but isn't limited to, couples/marital research, how children/lack of children affects stress levels and their mitigation, the decision to get sterilized and the reaction from the medical community, and gender identity issues for women who violate the societal norm of refusing to become mothers. I also have an interest in health psychology, especially as it applies to pain assessment/mitigation.

I have a question regarding social psychology. When you get a PhD in social psychology, if you can't land an academic job right away, what are the career options? What can of careers can a social psychologist pursue in the industry?

I have a question regarding social psychology. When you get a PhD in social psychology, if you can't land an academic job right away, what are the career options? What can of careers can a social psychologist pursue in the industry?

Off the top of my head, I'd guess marketing/marketing research. If you've studied things related to the court system, maybe you could consult for jury selection. Human resources, possibly.

Hi all! I'm glad to see this thread! I applied to a handful of social psych programs and just wanted to share my experiences, in particular to joshie, who is applying next year. Although I have also heard that many experimental programs do not interview, I was asked for two interviews (one solely by telephone and another as a pre-selection tool). From these interviews, I've gotten one acceptance and will be flown in to interview in person at another. I have not heard at all from the remaining schools so perhaps they don't require an interview or haven't begun reviewing applications yet (it seems like there is a broad range). In general, I think that the interviews are used to confirm research match and just make sure that you would have a good adviser/advisee relationship with your POI.

Thanks! One of the reasons I was concerned about this is because I'm hoping to apply from abroad next year. It sounds, though, like the interviews that do happen are not as common and not as formally structured as clinical interview days, which sound a lot like what med schools do. Maybe it won't be a problem.

I'm applying to NYU, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, Rutgers, SUNY Stony Brook, CUNY, and New School for Social Research.

Awwww.....I totally regret not applying to Columbia. I hesitated at the notion of living in NY again. I find myself reading Kevin Ochsner's papers and later kicking myself for not reaching out to him. :(

Awwww.....I totally regret not applying to Columbia. I hesitated at the notion of living in NY again. I find myself reading Kevin Ochsner's papers and later kicking myself for not reaching out to him. :(

I now think I regret not applying to more schools in bigger cities, but hindsight is 20/20. I still haven't heard from 5 of my top 6 schools UGH! But I got an interview at ASU so I guess I have to pick my battles. I want it all and I want it now!

Does anyone have information about Developmental Programs....whether anyone has gotten interviews or if most developmental programs interview?

I havent heard from my schools....Have you heard anything....and do most Developmental Programs interview?

This is what I've heard so far:

Univ of Miami - Sent out invites about 1-2 weeks ago - Interview 2/1
Univ of Oregon - Will send out notifications by 2/6

Not sure about any other programs.

I havent heard from my schools....Have you heard anything....and do most Developmental Programs interview?

I applied to 1 Cognitive Developmental program at University of Houston and it hasn't offered interviews yet. Long story, but I'm really into behavioral neuroscience and applied to 10 of those programs but my POI at another school just moved to Houston and convinced me to apply. In any case, they do interview but they have not publicized it yet.

So far I've heard from 3 out of my 7 Dev Psych programs for interviews. I do know that sometimes they take longer than the Clinical programs, especially since the deadlines are sometimes later.
The schools I've heard from so far are: U Pittsburgh, Temple, Duke

If you don't mind me asking....when were the application deadlines for the schools you've heard from? I'm quickly becoming more nervous.

I also applied to a bunch of schools and haven't heard from them. Usually schools will contact people 4-6 weeks after the deadline. If it's been 6 weeks since your application deadline passed, you may start worrying but if it hasn't been that long, you shouldn't start worrying yet. A lot of clinical programs have already extended interviews because clinical programs tend to have earlier deadlines than most others.

If you don't mind me asking....when were the application deadlines for the schools you've heard from? I'm quickly becoming more nervous.

The deadline for one was 12/1 (I haven't heard from the other early deadline place), and the other two were 12/15. Hope that helps.

Columbia U was 12/1, Yale was 1/1, and everyone else was 12/15. So technically, I've got about 2 weeks before I should be freaking out. But, ever the industrious one, I started freaking out about two weeks ago. :scared:

Hi,

I love this thread. I'm applying to Cognitive programs and like everyone else and anxious to hear back from schools. So far I've heard from 3 of 7 programs (Washington University, Emory and University of Illinois). Still waiting to hear from Northwestern, University of Missouri, University of Florida and NYU. Anyone else hear anything? Their websites weren't super helpful. Sigh.

Rutgers Social Psych PhD, contacted by POI, phone interview tbd, interview on-campus 2/29.

Which makes me very happy, because Rutgers is one of my top choices!

I had quite the day...started out waiting for an interview at Auburn I/O, then I recieved a rejection from George Mason I/O...Then got accepted at Oklahoma I/O!!! All is well that ends well, I suppose.

Well I just found out that UCSB isn't taking anyone for their Psychology- Behavioral Neuroscience PhD program. Apparently they just realized they don't have funding. I'm glad I spent the time and money applying...

I am still waiting on Berkeley's social/personality track to do something! arg. I see the Clinical applicants getting their invites and I am peeing myself. Like a true masochist, I went to the Berkeley website to look at last year's stats and acceptance rates. Under 5%. Isn't that super? *BARF* :rolleyes:

University of Denver Social Affective track has compiled their 'short list' of applicants. They will be calling them Monday or Tuesday with invites. Interviews for Social are being held on 2/29.

Good Luck. :)

Prefacing this with: I've heard nothing for myself yet:

I've heard that for the Social Psych program at Yale, someone I know got a ding letter from his/her POI sometime last week. And it wasn't a case of the prof not taking any new students... the prof said the applicant "came close".
I feel bad because I know this applicant, but that applicant also has two invites with more schools outstanding, so that applicant is definitely going to come out of this round successfully. (How was that for redacting personally-identifiable info? :laugh: )

Any of you aspiring Social Psych Yalies, that may or may not mean anything. Hope continues to spring eternal!

Anyone heard from UNC Chapel Hill? It's my top choice and interviews are on the 22nd.... :scared: