Just a Thread for Social/Personality/Developmental/Cognitive/Experimental Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also, has anyone heard from tufts child development or teachers college developmental psychology?

Members don't see this ad.

i have an interview for maryland human development on the 22nd.

HOWEVER, the interview invite came specifically from the professor i want to work with, and not from the program. so i dont know if that is the interview date for the whole program or not.

Do you mind me asking who you want to work with at Maryland? I heard that the department doesn't do interviews, maybe I was mistaken. (You can PM me if you want)

also, has anyone heard from tufts child development or teachers college developmental psychology?

I talked to Tufts Behavioral Neuroscience program today and they are still reviewing applications. They were due Jan 15th, not sure if the Developmental program is the same. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was rejected from Boston College today by snail mail. Not shocked about this one. I found out after I mailed in my app that my POI was not accepted new students. Oh well, enjoy my application fee!

good luck all.

Do you mind me asking who you want to work with at Maryland? I heard that the department doesn't do interviews, maybe I was mistaken. (You can PM me if you want)

pm sent.

So I have a question for people. I just found out that I was accepted at one of my top choice schools (school A) and am basically waiting to hear from my other top choice (school B) to start making a decision. Meanwhile I accepted an interview (before find out I was admitted to school A) to a school that was in the middle of my list (school C). Now most likely, my decision is going to be to accept school A or choose between school A and B (if I were to get accepted from school B where I already interviewed) unless school C really wows me. Should I just go ahead and let school C know that I changed my mind about the interview or should I go and see if they wow me? I like what the PI at school C does a lot but am less enthusiastic about the program in general from what I know about it. Still, I've never been to school C and could potentially learn more about it that is favorable... At this point though my gut tells me that if I could choose from all of my schools it would A or B.

So I have a question for people. I just found out that I was accepted at one of my top choice schools (school A) and am basically waiting to hear from my other top choice (school B) to start making a decision. Meanwhile I accepted an interview (before find out I was admitted to school A) to a school that was in the middle of my list (school C). Now most likely, my decision is going to be to accept school A or choose between school A and B (if I were to get accepted from school B where I already interviewed) unless school C really wows me. Should I just go ahead and let school C know that I changed my mind about the interview or should I go and see if they wow me? I like what the PI at school C does a lot but am less enthusiastic about the program in general from what I know about it. Still, I've never been to school C and could potentially learn more about it that is favorable... At this point though my gut tells me that if I could choose from all of my schools it would A or B.

I say go on the interview. You never know what it is going to be like, what the people will be like, etc. Plus you will really relaxed on that interview because you already have an acceptance in your pocket. You spent the money to apply to all these places and you should give them all a fair chance. Maybe the interview will confirm their place on your list, but if you don't go you will never know.

Okay guys - I've read through some of your messages and I'm happy that there are other NON clinical people here. I'm applying to more cognitive based programs, some of you have mentioned some of the programs I have applied for. Here they are: University of Iowa, Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience; U of Chicago, Biopsychology; NIH-GPP sweden, Neuroscience; U of Illinois, Biopsychology; Tufts University, Cognitive program; UCSD, behavioral neurscience; Boston University, Brain, behavior and cognition; University of Southern California, Brain and Cognitive Science; Stanford, Behavioral Neuroscience; Harvard, Brain behavior program oh and Duke, Cognitive program.

So far I've been rejected from:
NIH-GPP via e-mail
U of I via snail mail
UCSD via e-mail

NYU said I wasn't getting a personal interview and all admission decisions are made in March

Stanford said no interviews have been given
Tufts is still reviewing applications

And that's all I know, I will probably be checking this site often so if you guys know anything good or bad let me know. This process is excessively trying.

oh and Duke, Cognitive program.

NYU said I wasn't getting a personal interview and all admission decisions are made in March

Duke had an interview weekend the 8th and 9th, but they also have an interview weekend the 29th/1st for the interdisciplinary cognitive neuroscience program.

How did NYU inform you that you weren't getting a personal interview? I heard their interview weekend was 2/1 and 2/2. But also, I e-mailed to inquire about interviews and they said they could not tell me anything. Weird, right?

Duke had an interview weekend the 8th and 9th, but they also have an interview weekend the 29th/1st for the interdisciplinary cognitive neuroscience program.

How did NYU inform you that you weren't getting a personal interview? quote]

hmf, did duke already release all the interviews?

Through e-mail, I asked several different people. They were pretty stern on not giving me much information --> which was basically the same thing they told you.

Who knows... at this point. This grad app game is weird. Some schools are slow, some are fast, some are mysterious, some are blunt... and etc. If you guys get any rejections, interviews or acceptances let me know. I'll be doing the same. At least I found some people in a similiar situation as me to vent about it.

For anyone interested in the HMD department at Maryland, according to their secretary:

"Applications are currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Decisions will be coming in March."

Another vague timeline, I love this process :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard from Tufts yet either....where else did you apply?

besides those two, i applied to illinois human development (accepted), penn state human development (accepted), purdue child dev (accepted), maryland human dev (interview), boston college applied dev&educ psych (interview), and cornell human dev (havent heard anything, but acceptances went out already so im guessing im getting a rejection!)

has anyone heard of anything happening with stanford's psych ph.d. program?

Has anyone heard anything about Georgetown's Developmental program? Do they do interviews?

has anyone heard of anything happening with stanford's psych ph.d. program?

which one? developmental, social, cognitive, personality? ...and no. we haven't. :)

Got my rejection letter from DUKE today - for program check my list above.

Just out of curiosity, who did you apply to work with at UCSD?

I forgot who, they rejected me early on. My GRE scores were below the cut off of 1200. I applied anyways because I have a strong research background, but I've learned that GREs mean everything.

I forgot who, they rejected me early on. My GRE scores were below the cut off of 1200. I applied anyways because I have a strong research background, but I've learned that GREs mean everything.

I hear ya, I had the same problem with GPA, even though my last 2.5 years are good, my first two killed me. I still got 2 interviews though, not all hope is lost! I see you said where you haven't gotten in, but have you gotten any interviews? You seem to have applied to good schools, so everything aside from GRE scores must be great!

I hear ya, I had the same problem with GPA, even though my last 2.5 years are good, my first two killed me. I still got 2 interviews though, not all hope is lost! I see you said where you haven't gotten in, but have you gotten any interviews? You seem to have applied to good schools, so everything aside from GRE scores must be great!

Nope haven't gotten any. But yes, everything besides the GRE is GREAT; otherwise I wouldn't have applied to soo many great schools.

Nope haven't gotten any. But yes, everything besides the GRE is GREAT; otherwise I wouldn't have applied to soo many great schools.

Oh that's too bad, but there's still time, chin up! I know what you mean though, if my non-psych GPA were higher, I definitely would have applied to top top programs. But as it is, I have somehow defied the odds and have interest from some pretty good programs. Who knows how it will pan out, I'm still trying not to get my hopes up, I know there is a chance I still won't get in after interviews :scared:

I say go on the interview. You never know what it is going to be like, what the people will be like, etc. Plus you will really relaxed on that interview because you already have an acceptance in your pocket. You spent the money to apply to all these places and you should give them all a fair chance. Maybe the interview will confirm their place on your list, but if you don't go you will never know.
That is a good point. Thanks for your advice. I'll probably end up going.

I got into Maryland's HMD program today! Apparentally my acceptance letter got lost, they were asking if I was going to their preview weekend...I wonder what happened to it?
Doesn't matter, takes a lot of pressure off!

I got into Maryland's HMD program today! Apparentally my acceptance letter got lost, they were asking if I was going to their preview weekend...I wonder what happened to it?
Doesn't matter, takes a lot of pressure off!

Congrats! What's HMD?

Sorry, HMD=Human Development. It's like Dev Psych...hard to explain the difference, you know, social science is all the same thing anyway ;)

NYU social is definitely finished extending all invites. 200 something applications were received, 14-ish were invited, 7-ish will be accepted. This is straight from Jim Uleman's mouth during my undergraduate social psych class today.

Just out of curiosity has anyone heard back from Temple? I had an interview there two weeks ago and they said they were going to be quick with decisions. I don't know what "quick" means...

besides those two, i applied to illinois human development (accepted), penn state human development (accepted), purdue child dev (accepted), maryland human dev (interview), boston college applied dev&educ psych (interview), and cornell human dev (havent heard anything, but acceptances went out already so im guessing im getting a rejection!)

When did you hear from Penn State and BC? And were they e-mail or phone invites/acceptances?

When did you hear from Penn State and BC? And were they e-mail or phone invites/acceptances?

penn state was via phone on jan 25, and bc was via email on feb 5.
the bc interview day is feb 25.

After reading this forum for about a week, I think I'm obligated to chime in. I applied to social/personality ph.d. programs at Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, NYU, Yale, Oregon, Ohio State, Texas, Berkeley, and Minnesota.

So far, I have received interview invites from Oregon and NYU, and an acceptance from Ohio State.

I haven't received any formal rejections, but I think Columbia, Berkeley, and Minnesota have already sent out their invites.

I got a rejection email from UVA's social program this morning.

I got an unofficial acceptance, via a phone call from my POI, to University of Houston's Cognitive Developmental Neuroscience program. I think U.T. Austin has probably already extended interview invites, still waiting on Tufts and Northeastern :idea:

The waiting game is hard. Has anyone heard back from places they've had interviews. I had two, have two more this weekend and got into one place. I want to make a decision already about my life! (Maybe I am the only one who is this antsy/frustrated).

Has anyone heard from Harvard in social psych?

I know the website got hacked but since apps were through embark that shouldnt affect the process right?

Rejected from Yale Social Psych PhD.

Not exactly a surprise.

UT Austin, Tufts, and Northeastern are still reviewing applications for behavioral neuroscience. Hope....? :rolleyes:

UT Austin, Tufts, and Northeastern are still reviewing applications for behavioral neuroscience. Hope....? :rolleyes:

I'm just curious, did you call Tufts today to find that out? I also applied to tufts so if you want we can rotate e-mailing. Also, no interviews for me yet... its the GRE thats screwing me over! But I'm going to start retaking it now whether I hear back or not. It might help me get admittance into graduate school.

UC Davis has had their invite weekend for Neuroscience already and their invite week is this week for the Development track. FYI....

I work in a UC Davis lab...

I have no idea about UT Austin. I have heard both. I hope they are still reviewing apps but I have heard that they may have extended all invites. It is unclear if invites are for clinical only or not....

I was about to write them off...:(

I'm just curious, did you call Tufts today to find that out? I also applied to tufts so if you want we can rotate e-mailing. Also, no interviews for me yet... its the GRE thats screwing me over! But I'm going to start retaking it now whether I hear back or not. It might help me get admittance into graduate school.

I called Tufts yesterday and was told to email someone, which I did, and she said they hadn't made any decisions yet. What program did you apply for? (I am behavioral neuroscience)

SocialCog- are you social psych? or cognitive? Or perhaps they have a social cognitive program? I would assume it's different for every program...

I applied to UT Austin's social psychology program. Not cognitive. However, under the umbrella of social, there can be a focus on social personality or social cognition.

I am learning that individual programs (ie: clinical vs. developmental vs. social) review apps independent of eachother therefore send out invites/rejections on schedules independent of one another. Berkeley is the rare exception to this rule. Berkeley reviews all apps of all domains of research together as whole department.

I suppose it is possible that the social program at UT Austin has yet to decide who to invite or who to extend offers to.

Good luck all. :)

So I got an email today from a prof that I had expressed interest in working with at NYU. I have emailed them ages ago and they had responded asking to see my CV. I didn't hear anything else later despite attempts on my part to get in touch with them but figured to apply anyway (since they had asked for my CV and I have a lot of imaging experience which suits the lab). I just got an email today (2 mos after the application deadline) saying that they hadn't even gone through the application process this year as their lab was full. Sigh. Way to tell me before I paid the ridiculous application fee...
I haven't heard anything from the other professor but I wasn't too optimistic what with acceptances already being sent out or something...I guess it's definitely safe to say that I didn't get in (if I had any doubt up to this point).

So hey, has anyone heard anything from University of Florida Cognitive program?

According to the secretary at Duke, they are making the final decisions of all the psych departments in the second week of March.
Georgetown Dev Psych will make their selections in early March (vagueness on whether or not there is an interview)

Hope the information helps.

Anybody hear anything about Princeton yet? And is it true they don't interview for Social Psych?