Just a Thread for Social/Personality/Developmental/Cognitive/Experimental Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If some of these programs don't interview, is it possible that we will not hear back until April, even if we are being considered?

Members don't see this ad.

If some of these programs don't interview, is it possible that we will not hear back until April, even if we are being considered?

I was wondering about that too. Though, so far I know that all of mine interview. The only one I'm not sure about is Northeastern, but I would bet that if the other 10 do, they do too. That said, I guess you can get in without an interview, but probably only if a lot of people who were interviewed were crazy or were sane but didn't accept the offer. I hate this waiting game! I think they want to teach us patience just in case they accept us and have to work with us later.

Anyone heard from UNC Chapel Hill? It's my top choice and interviews are on the 22nd.... :scared:

I heard at least from the developmental program, that they only STARTED looking at applications last week...awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard at least from the developmental program, that they only STARTED looking at applications last week...awesome.

REALLY?!? Was the due date Jan 1 also? And is the interview weekend the 22-23rd? I had given up hope after not hearing yesterday since it was the day they released the clinical invites and the interview is pretty soon. I have another interview that weekend but I might try to fit them both if I got it at Chapel Hill. I emailed my POI just to see, hopefully he'll get back to me either way. Good luck to you!

So I just got a letter from UF's Undergraduate Admissions Office asking for a copy of my green card... My head hurts a little trying to figure out how a graduate application (different website and everything) got there.

So I just got a letter from UF's Undergraduate Admissions Office asking for a copy of my green card... My head hurts a little trying to figure out how a graduate application (different website and everything) got there.

It pisses me off how disorganized some schools are. Can't they invest some money in getting more intelligent people for their admissions offices.

It pisses me off how disorganized some schools are. Can't they invest some money in getting more intelligent people for their admissions offices.

And how about hire someone (even just a little undergrad minion) from Dec- April to update the websites and online application tracking?

I was rejected from Berkeley's Social program this weekend. My POI called me personally to inform me. That one stung.

They had 180 applications this year, and tossed out 140 in the first cut. They rated the remaining 40 and will be inviting the top 10 (or so) for interviews very soon.

Good luck.

I was rejected from Berkeley's Social program this weekend. My POI called me personally to inform me. That one stung.

They had 180 applications this year, and tossed out 140 in the first cut. They rated the remaining 40 and will be inviting the top 10 (or so) for interviews very soon.

Good luck.

Wow they are as picky as some clinical programs.

God, I am waiting to hear from Berkeley too (plus all the other UC schools) and I can't believe how long they are making us wait compared to the other emphases. I know that the Berkeley Cognition, Brain, and Behavior Program called people like 2 weeks ago... they must know they are torturing us!

Socialcog, out of curiosity, would you mind telling me who your POI was?

University of Denver--social affective-- Invite: 2/29. I am pretty excited.

anyone here applying to UCLA?

I heard that Chapel Hill already invited people, and not me :( Oh well, still waiting to hear from Tufts, Northeastern, and UT Austin. Oh how I love waiting....

Members don't see this ad :)

A lot of the programs who don't have interviews already sent out acceptance/rejection letters but many of them still haven't.

Has anyone heard from Stanford?? That deadline was in November. I'm thinking that no news is most likely bad news...

I heard that Chapel Hill already invited people, and not me :( Oh well, still waiting to hear from Tufts, Northeastern, and UT Austin. Oh how I love waiting....

Did you hear when they sent out invites?

I heard from UNC-Chapel Hill Developmental program that they met yesterday to decide who to interview and would be extending invitations through this week.

And how about hire someone (even just a little undergrad minion) from Dec- April to update the websites and online application tracking?
I was originally under the impression that that was what my application fee paid for. Maybe not the undergrad minion but that someone would at least make sure my application went to the right place. Glad to know my money went to good use :cool:. Luckily I just finished talking to someone and got the matter sorted.

On a separate note:

University of Missouri has not made any decisions regarding admissions to their programs

Northwestern may or may not have extended interviews to some people (I am not one of them :(). I heard they had invited people but that there were a lot of conflicts and so no formal decisions has been made and they might have another weekend in middle-late March...

I know, I know. Enough with the "have you heard" posts, but I haven't seen anyone talk about NYU on here.

Has anyone heard from NYU's cognition program? It was due in mid December!

I know, I know. Enough with the "have you heard" posts, but I haven't seen anyone talk about NYU on here.

I'm waiting to hear from them as well. I emailed them a couple of times but haven't gotten a response. If you go to the graduate school admissions website they say something about letting people know by March if they are in. Haven't been able to find anything else...

I'm also waiting on NYU, but for Social. I would love to work in the Couples Lab!

Who is that with? I was an NYU undergrad.

Patrick Shrout. I'm also applying to Columbia to work with Niall Bolger (also at the Couples Lab... both universities share it).

I was thisclose to going to NYU undergrad. I got in, but the scholarship wasn't high enough to put it over Iona. Did I make the right call? We'll know within two and a half months :laugh:

I read somewhere in another thread that NYU is notorious for late/problematic responses during this process. I almost applied to NYU and Columbia.

I regret not applying to Columbia. :(

Has anyone heard from Stanford?? That deadline was in November. I'm thinking that no news is most likely bad news...

I have heard nada as well. Care to call and find out? :p

I applied to the personality program (not social) there. Who know what they're doing. This whole process has slowly rendered me numb.

UConn has setup phone interviews for their Developmental Program and UMBC has extended interviews to their Applied Developmental Program.

Good luck.

Has anyone else heard anything, good or bad, from Berkeley? How about the other UC schools? I am getting so antsy.

Stephen Anagnostaras -- do you know him?

Yeah! Not really well, but I took his class a while ago and see him around. He seems really nice, always smiling, etc. So did you apply for the Behavioral Neuroscience track? If I haven't lived in San Diego for 22 years I would definitely have applied, I work with Behavioral Neuro people at UCSD and absolutely love it, but it's definitely time for a change of scenery.

Yeah! Not really well, but I took his class a while ago and see him around. He seems really nice, always smiling, etc. So did you apply for the Behavioral Neuroscience track? If I haven't lived in San Diego for 22 years I would definitely have applied, I work with Behavioral Neuro people at UCSD and absolutely love it, but it's definitely time for a change of scenery.

Change of scenery from SD? You are crazy! Its so gorgeous. But I understand. I moved from NorCal to NYC for school. It was great to experience something new. But then again, San Diego is just awesome!

Change of scenery from SD? You are crazy! Its so gorgeous. But I understand. I moved from NorCal to NYC for school. It was great to experience something new. But then again, San Diego is just awesome!

It really is, I will be so sad to leave. I love UCSD too, but I think/hope I'm ready to leave. Have you had any interviews yet? I'm going to Arizona tomorrow for my first one and I'm really not sure what to expect. Everyone on this board is clinical psych and it seems at their interviews are really intense!

It really is, I will be so sad to leave. I love UCSD too, but I think/hope I'm ready to leave. Have you had any interviews yet? I'm going to Arizona tomorrow for my first one and I'm really not sure what to expect. Everyone on this board is clinical psych and it seems at their interviews are really intense!
So I just got done with my first interview/recruitment weekend for a Cognitive program and can share what it was like for me. The interviews were a little stressful in that I was interviewing with a professor for a spot in his/her lab but from what I understand they are more low pressure than the clinical ones. You are interviewing them too.
For all of my interviews the profs wanted to know about my current research and why I was applying to their program and if I had any questions (you will defintely exhaust your questions by the end of the day). For a good chunk of each interview I also learnt about what they did, most had little powerpoints of current stuff they were doing and we would go over that. A couple also showed me around their labs and I even did my last interview outside because it was nice out and the professor figured I would appreciate the fresh air.
A couple of interviewees were wearing suits but most were wearing slacks and either a shirt or a sweater. If you are unsure what to wear you can ask before you go but from what I gathered they care more about what you have to say than what you are wearing. Business casual should be fine.

I hope that helps a little and let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

I received news from two schools yesterday:
UMass Amherst (Behavioral Neuroscience) - Interviews 2/28-3/1
U of Nebraska - Omaha (Biopsychology) - what looks like an acceptance (or an overly effusive interview invite with no dates)

I also have an interview scheduled for Penn State's cognitive program, but they just asked me which weekends I have free and scheduled it from there. I'm assuming they don't have a formally scheduled interview weekend for that program.

Still waiting on York and Georgia State.

I'm waiting to hear from them as well. I emailed them a couple of times but haven't gotten a response. If you go to the graduate school admissions website they say something about letting people know by March if they are in. Haven't been able to find anything else...

"Good Morning Dontknowitall,
Unfortunately we are not allowed to comment on the application status or the dates and plans of any Open House/Interview events. All notifications, regardless of the decision made, will go out on a continuous basis by mail.
I'm sorry I couldn't be more specific.
Best
NYU Admin"

Wow, that seems a little bit weird. Anyhow, I did see on the cafepress website that lists stuff that last year people from NYU cog sci received acceptances around the beginning of March. Hmmmm . . .

"Good Morning Dontknowitall,
Unfortunately we are not allowed to comment on the application status or the dates and plans of any Open House/Interview events. All notifications, regardless of the decision made, will go out on a continuous basis by mail.
I'm sorry I couldn't be more specific.
Best
NYU Admin"

Wow, that seems a little bit weird. Anyhow, I did see on the cafepress website that lists stuff that last year people from NYU cog sci received acceptances around the beginning of March. Hmmmm . . .
Yeah I saw that too. On the Official Interview Thread someone said that they called NYU and were told that they would be making decisions tomorrow and that an interview weekend was scheduled for the 22nd or something. I think it was for the clinical program so not sure what that means for us...

ETA: I just got the same email as you word for word.

Has anyone heard anything from any of the following programs:

Yale
Columbia
Princeton
Stony Brook

I'm looking for Social (and its many variations) but I suspect the others (Cognitive, etc) may follow a similar schedule.

I'm still anxiously awaiting NYU but the current buzz on here seems to be that decisions are being made today, so I'm a bit more relaxed on that one.

I have a quick question....if you have a phone interview....do you send a thank you and if you do....do you hand write one or send and email?

Has anyone heard anything from any of the following programs:

Yale
Columbia
Princeton
Stony Brook

I'm looking for Social (and its many variations) but I suspect the others (Cognitive, etc) may follow a similar schedule.

I'm still anxiously awaiting NYU but the current buzz on here seems to be that decisions are being made today, so I'm a bit more relaxed on that one.

I was on another message board (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?DT=W&IN=Y) and someone posted that they have been accepted into Yale's Social Psych program. It appears he/she received their acceptance letter on the 5th. I applied there as well. C'est la vie. :mad:

I was on another message board (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?DT=W&IN=Y) and someone posted that they have been accepted into Yale's Social Psych program. It appears he/she received their acceptance letter on the 5th. I applied there as well. C'est la vie. :mad:

And someone was extended an invite to Columbia's Social Program as well. That's two big kicks in the rear at one time.

Damn...

I was wondering what everyone's situation is in terms of application schedule. Did most people in nonclinical areas apply right out of undergrad, or did they take a year off? From my understanding in talking with my professor (social group) there aren't very many bachelor's level research positions available in these areas, at least compared to behavioral neurosci and clinical.

My interests lie in social and cultural psychology, so I've decided to take a year off and teach English in Japan, which is the culture I'm most interested in. My professor suggested this as a way to do something meaningful and relevant with time off.

What is everyone else doing? Taking time off in some way? Doing more research?

I was just rejected from UCLA.

Good luck all.

So some of my schools are very vague as to whether they actually have interviews. Since I know that all Dev programs don't have interviews, how do you all know whether or not your program has an interview? Is it stated on their website somewhere? Thoughts?

I was wondering the same thing about my developmental programs....which are you waiting on? I still haven't heard from 6 of my 9

What schools have you heard from? I've heard from 3 of my 7 (maybe 3 is the magic number)
I'm still waiting on: Maryland Human Development, Georgetown, UNC-Chapel Hill and Catholic.

I have only heard from 3 of my 11. UCLA, UC Berkeley and University of Denver.

8 to go...

Out of 10 schools I didn't hear anything from anyone at all. I'm still waiting. :)

Yeah I saw that too. On the Official Interview Thread someone said that they called NYU and were told that they would be making decisions tomorrow and that an interview weekend was scheduled for the 22nd or something. I think it was for the clinical program so not sure what that means for us...

ETA: I just got the same email as you word for word.

I was at a cog neuro program interview this past weekend and someone had interviewed at NYU the weekend before and another person was going to UCSD this coming weekend. Looks like I wasn't invited. But you know what? The school I interviewed at this weekend was so amazing that I don't really care!

What schools have you heard from? I've heard from 3 of my 7 (maybe 3 is the magic number)
I'm still waiting on: Maryland Human Development, Georgetown, UNC-Chapel Hill and Catholic.

i have an interview for maryland human development on the 22nd.

HOWEVER, the interview invite came specifically from the professor i want to work with, and not from the program. so i dont know if that is the interview date for the whole program or not.