Just a Thread for Social/Personality/Developmental/Cognitive/Experimental Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have heard that they dont interview and my thesis advisor has a friend on the committee who said the social program is only taking 2.

I was their # 3...ding.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that they dont interview and my thesis advisor has a friend on the committee who said the social program is only taking 2.

I was their # 3...ding.

Oh man... that's rough! Did both #1 and #2 find out and accept already? Maybe you've still got a shot if one declines?

I'll assume I wasn't #1 or #2, as I've heard zippo from them...

i am not really sure. I dont know if I should hold out hope or just be happy with what I know Ive got.

what would be worse I think though, is to find out they told my advisor that just to "make me feel better"

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a message from TUFTS today stating that they were going to make application decisions shortly --> and to start looking for a letter. That means I probably got rejected.

I was rejected from Univ. of Michigan via snail mail. My fourth rejection. So far, I am 1 for 5.

Good Luck all.

I interview with university of denver's social-affective program next week.

Wish me luck.

Stanford did interviews this weekend. Michigan is in two weeks. Princeton has also decided. Traditionally, Berkley is the same weekend as Stanford but I do not know if this is the case this year. They do interviews, and they are taking more than two students... but only two students are pure social. The others are in joint programs. UCSB has also decided. I think their weekend is the same weekend as Michigan.

Stanford did interviews this weekend. Michigan is in two weeks. Princeton has also decided. Traditionally, Berkley is the same weekend as Stanford but I do not know if this is the case this year. They do interviews, and they are taking more than two students... but only two students are pure social. The others are in joint programs. UCSB has also decided. I think their weekend is the same weekend as Michigan.

I know princeton is only taking 2 and you're right that they have decided. UCSB is interviewing the same weekend as michigan. Stanford interviewed 6 for 3 spots.

I know princeton is only taking 2 and you're right that they have decided. UCSB is interviewing the same weekend as michigan. Stanford interviewed 6 for 3 spots.

For Stanford are you refering to the social program or are you refering to all programs in general. I am assuming if they have interviewed I will not be interviewed.

For Stanford are you refering to the social program or are you refering to all programs in general. I am assuming if they have interviewed I will not be interviewed.

Those are all just the social programs...

The Rutgers interview for Social is tomorrow and Friday. I'll be there. If anyone else here will be there too, I'll be the big 6'3" guy with the goatee. Odds are, I'll be the only one named "Vinny" so that should help identify me as well :D

The Rutgers interview for Social is tomorrow and Friday. I'll be there. If anyone else here will be there too, I'll be the big 6'3" guy with the goatee. Odds are, I'll be the only one named "Vinny" so that should help identify me as well :D

Unfortunately I didnt apply to Rutgers, so i wont be seeing you. UCSB's social interview is a week from this weekend. Anyone else going?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately I didnt apply to Rutgers, so i wont be seeing you. UCSB's social interview is a week from this weekend. Anyone else going?

What program is that for? I was told that their behavioral neuroscience program didn't have any funding, so they can't take anyone :(

Did anyone apply to Davis? If so, please PM me. I have many questions concerning their app process and the online application status stuff.

thanks.

I got my first official rejection letter yesterday. I knew it was coming, they had their interviews last week, but it's kinda nice to get the closure:). It's their loss (UNC-CH):p.

Now if only the rest would just let me know one way or another I could figure out the next 5+ years of my life...

I got my first official rejection letter yesterday. I knew it was coming, they had their interviews last week, but it's kinda nice to get the closure:). It's their loss (UNC-CH):p.

Now if only the rest would just let me know one way or another I could figure out the next 5+ years of my life...

What program is that for? And was it online or actual mail? I know I didn't make the interview there, but they said they would let me know if I was "selected in the future"...whatever the heck that means.

What program is that for? And was it online or actual mail? I know I didn't make the interview there, but they said they would let me know if I was "selected in the future"...whatever the heck that means.

Nevermind, just got it in the mail :thumbdown: Oh well, at least I was expecting it.

hey all...i know you are not applying for clinical ph.d.'s but be sure to check out the ph.d/psy.d. acceptance thread as i have made it a universal thread with categories such as developmental, I/O, cognitive neuroscience, etc.. I would love to add your acceptances as well! Good luck with interviews :)

I just returned from interviewing from Univ. of Denver. What a great program! I was so impressed with them---totally exceeded my expectations.

Interviewed at Rutgers on Friday for the Social/Health Psych PhD. Was extremely impressed with the program.

Recieved rejection from UC San Diego Psychology Ph.D. program on friday 2/29.

Oh well, wasnt the best fit, but oh how I would love to be in San Diego!!!!

I'm applying 2010 because I wanted to get more psychology research experience before I apply for PhD programs. I got a research position at a psychology research center. I also wanted to really figure out what type of psychology I really want to get into. I'm interested in decision-making (especially rational decision-making), resiliency, and positive psychology.

I am looking to get into developmental or social pscyhology. I decided this past year I wanted to get a PhD. After reading through all the threads I'm really nervous about not getting into any programs! I wasn't a psychology major in undergrad, but went to a pretty prestigious college. I am graduating with a masters in public policy from an Ivy League and have gotten some good research experience these past two years. However, I feel like I'm at a disadvantaged since I wasn't a psychology major.

Any advice on what I should do to increase my chances of getting into programs? I really don't have much knowledge on what makes a strong candidate for PhD programs since I thought I was going to be working in policy.

What is your opinion of an "old" (more established, big name) versus "new" (trying to get tenure, publishing a lot, but less well known name) professor for a decision on where to go to school?

I've heard positives and negatives about both. What are your thoughts?

Got an interview on March 18th at BU School of Medicine's Behavioral Neuroscience Ph.D. program...

Got "official" rejections from:
BC-Counseling
BC-CABN
Tufts-Experimental
UMASS Boston-Clinical

Still waiting for a rejection from:
Harvard-Clinical

Got an interview on March 18th at BU School of Medicine's Behavioral Neuroscience Ph.D. program...

Got "official" rejections from:
BC-Counseling
BC-CABN
Tufts-Experimental
UMASS Boston-Clinical

Still waiting for a rejection from:
Harvard-Clinical

For Tufts, which area was it? Within experimental they have biological, cognitive, developmental, experimental clinical, and social. I applied to biological, I haven't heard anything yes/no. I emailed my POI last night, I would assume they've contacted people but maybe not I guess it's still 5 weeks before the decision deadline...

Rejected from Duke's Cognitive Neuroscience program :(

Rejected from Duke's Cognitive Neuroscience program :(

How did you find out? I was told, at least for the Developmental program, that decisions would come next week...
Waiting is no fun :p

Yeah, I got rejected from Dukes program as well. I also just got rejected from tufts behavioral neuroscience program because... I wasn't a good match?! Still waiting on USC, Boston University and University of Chicago as hopefuls. Ones that are far out of reach are: Stanford, Harvard, NYU and Berkeley... they won't like me because of my GRE. OHhhhhh well.

Yeah, I got rejected from Dukes program as well. I also just got rejected from tufts behavioral neuroscience program because... I wasn't a good match?! Still waiting on USC, Boston University and University of Chicago as hopefuls. Ones that are far out of reach are: Stanford, Harvard, NYU and Berkeley... they won't like me because of my GRE. OHhhhhh well.

Did you interview at Duke?

How did you find out? I was told, at least for the Developmental program, that decisions would come next week...
Waiting is no fun :p

I got an e-mail that had a link to go view my decision letter and the decision was no!

How and when did you get the rejection from Tufts?

Via mail and e-mail. A couple of days ago.

Sorry I just realized that seemed really harsh the way I asked! I'm sorry you didn't get in, hopefully you have better options. I haven't heard either way from them, I don't think I'm a great match though so I'm not holding my breath.

How and when did you get the rejection from Tufts?

I received word of my decision status online and then my POI emailed me. THEN I received it in paper form...

I don't think it matters what concentration (Bio, Cognitive, clinical) you were in.... Decisions were made at the same time for the entire program.

Which Tufts program are you still waiting for....I know for Developmental had "phone interviews" this past weekend---they are making decisions this week I believe.

Which Tufts program are you still waiting for....I know for Developmental had "phone interviews" this past weekend---they are making decisions this week I believe.

do you mean child development or psychology department?
i know someone who was accepted to the ma/phd in child development, she was notified by mail about 2 weeks ago.

I haven't heard a word from Tufts! I even emailed my POI on Monday and haven't heard back. I'm assuming it's a no though....

i know someone who was accepted to the ma/phd in child development, she was notified by mail about 2 weeks ago.

I know someone that was accepted into Tuft's social program a couple of weeks ago. She had no interview...just the offer.

Accepted by Rutgers Social Psych PhD program today!

I was accepted by University of Denver's affective-social program today via phone call from POI!!:)

I'm slightly concerned here. For people applying to social areas, do you have interviews or invite weekends? I'm looking at applying from abroad next fall and it's not realistic for me to attend an interview.

I'm slightly concerned here. For people applying to social areas, do you have interviews or invite weekends? I'm looking at applying from abroad next fall and it's not realistic for me to attend an interview.

josh -- i wouldn't worry about it. adcoms understand that people go abroad, and from what i've heard from other people in the same boat you're in, most faculty are willing to do phone interviews. all the best.

So I got back from a great visit at one school yesterday to be rejected by another...It still hurts, even thought I liked the school I was at yesterday and am already in there...
I think I'm ready for this whole thing to be over, have my decision made and start school :)

its for phd in child development ....they offered last friday

According to the admin assistant, Emory has not yet sent out any "denials" for the Cognition & Development program, so all applications are still open.

Just received via email an invitation to the open house at Brooklyn College, CUNY for the Cognition, Brain, & Behavior Ph.D. program on March 28th. Anyone else here going?

Any more updates? I'm plagued with indecision :scared: