Having ADHD in your medical record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rc4ch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty dumb question, but I'm hoping one of you guys can answer. I have ADHD, and taking Strattera. I don't know much about medical records, but do you guys think having ADHD on my medical record would have an effect on me on becoming a doctor, specifically, in the cardiology or family medicine field?

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your grades and test scores haven't suffered, it won't affect your admissions. This information will not show up in your application file anywhere.

As for medical school, you may find it difficult handling the volume of material, but schools are required to give you the same time and a half for testing that you receive on your current tests so if this is not a problem then you should be able to at least make it through the first two years.

I can't tell you how this will play out on the wards.

Your medical records are private and will not affect your ability to be admitted to a medical school. After you are admitted, you will probably have to have a physical and immunizations. At that point you will submit a health history form, in which you should mention your ADHD. I think you will be surprised by how supportive medical schools are of conditions such as yours. My school has a full-time counselor available to us. She encourages us to talk about problems such as ADHD, depression, and anxiety. There are even support groups for medical students struggling with those problems. Med students are only human and they have their own problems. The key is that you take care of those problems so that they don't affect your ability to be a good physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would ADHD be a problem with licensure, as it is technically a "psychiatric diagnosis," which many states require licensure applicants to report? I don't have AD(H)D myself, but I'm just curious.

Would ADHD be a problem with licensure, as it is technically a "psychiatric diagnosis," which many states require licensure applicants to report? I don't have AD(H)D myself, but I'm just curious.

This is what Im worried about. Not being able to get a job due to the medical record.