Advantages to having dual degrees (DPM/MHA/MPH)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading DMU's podiatry program information I received in the mail, and I noticed a blurb about their dual degree programs (DPM/MHA, DPM/MPH). Is there any significant advantage to possessing one of the other degrees in addition to the DPM? Is it mostly for the purpose of adding an extra professional title to the shingle hanging outside your practice?

Members don't see this ad.

You have a longer name. John Johnson, DPM, MHA, MPH, PhD, ABC, 123.

You have a longer name. John Johnson, DPM, MHA, MPH, PhD, ABC, 123.

LOL, how about a dual DPM/MD/DO/DMD/DDS/MHA/MPH/OD/DVM/CRNA to get patients in the door...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was reading DMU's podiatry program information I received in the mail, and I noticed a blurb about their dual degree programs (DPM/MHA, DPM/MPH). Is there any significant advantage to possessing one of the other degrees in addition to the DPM? Is it mostly for the purpose of adding an extra professional title to the shingle hanging outside your practice?

From what I have learned, MPH and similar degrees are helpful if you want to teach.

what about the whole MBA thing? or Masters in Healthcare Management (if plan on opening up your own practice)? I have heard a wide range of recommendations as to whether to go for one from people at medical schools (from MD, DMD/DDS, DPM). Wouldn't some of the ins and outs as to learning how to run a practice/business aspect be learned during residency (if you pay close or added attention) or the first few years if you decided to work as an associate? (and save you time and money)

what about the whole MBA thing? or Masters in Healthcare Management (if plan on opening up your own practice)? I have heard a wide range of recommendations as to whether to go for one from people at medical schools (from MD, DMD/DDS, DPM). Wouldn't some of the ins and outs as to learning how to run a practice/business aspect be learned during residency (if you pay close or added attention) or the first few years if you decided to work as an associate? (and save you time and money)

I have friends and family with MBAs and have discussed this with them. An MBA is a corporate degree, in other words it is designed for larger businesses. If you are not going to have 100 employees then I'm not sure of the importance. Instead you could do research, write a case report, get better grades, ect.

Anyone out there have experience with the dual degree MHA (Masters in Healthcare Administration)?
I've heard this is similar to the MBA but more tailored to our healthcare industry, but anyone in their residency or practicing have experience with this?
Is it helpful to secure residencies?
Is it useful in practice? How has it helped in hospital or private practice settings?

Anyone out there have experience with the dual degree MHA (Masters in Healthcare Administration)?
I've heard this is similar to the MBA but more tailored to our healthcare industry, but anyone in their residency or practicing have experience with this?
Is it helpful to secure residencies?
Is it useful in practice? How has it helped in hospital or private practice settings?
This is a good question^

I know of MBA and MPH duals, but do any of the pod schools offer a dual MHA that can be done in the regular 4yrs? I really doubt it'd help get you a residency or do much of anything in private practice, but it would be an advantage if you want to be on a hospital board or into the admin track later on down the line.

I know that at Scholl you can get a MHA or MPH with your DPM in the 4 year span. You just take extra classes during a couple summers I think. A few of my friends were pursuing that, but eventually dropped the masters program.

And Feli, your right, the MHA won't really get you a better residency or do good in private practice, but will definitely help you in healthcare administration. If that's the route you want to take.

I don't mean to hijack this thread (even though it isn't really active now), but I been accepted to a Masters Degree program in my major (Exercise Physiology), and also have been accepted to Podiatry school. My end goal is definately a podiatrist, but I was wondering what the benefits would be of getting an MS first? The masters program is one of the few recognized by the National Strength and Conditioning Association, and is well known for their research. I would love to work with athletes as a podiatrist, and feel that there is not enough focus on that aspect of podiatry in pod school. Would a masters degree be worth it, or would I gain enough experience in a residency or fellowship?

I don't mean to hijack this thread (even though it isn't really active now), but I been accepted to a Masters Degree program in my major (Exercise Physiology), and also have been accepted to Podiatry school. My end goal is definately a podiatrist, but I was wondering what the benefits would be of getting an MS first? The masters program is one of the few recognized by the National Strength and Conditioning Association, and is well known for their research. I would love to work with athletes as a podiatrist, and feel that there is not enough focus on that aspect of podiatry in pod school. Would a masters degree be worth it, or would I gain enough experience in a residency or fellowship?

It wouldn't hurt to have that Masters degree, but since the end goal is podiatry then I'd just cut to the chase. Most of the sports medicine aspect of podiatry is more biomechanics than ex. phys.

In all practicality, I'm not sure how much you could incorporate ex. phys. into a podiatric practice. Writing exercise prescriptions might be stepping perilously out of legal scope of practice. You probably can't bill for it either.

Besides that, it might be difficult to get people to listen to you, even if you are knowledgeable. Who makes an appointment with a podiatrist to get that kind of training advice? "Your podiatrist said to do Fartleks? Well, my dentist said not to. What does your optometrist say...?"

Besides that, it might be difficult to get people to listen to you, even if you are knowledgeable. Who makes an appointment with a podiatrist to get that kind of training advice? "Your podiatrist said to do Fartleks? Well, my dentist said not to. What does your optometrist say...?"
:laugh: Good point.

If you're feeling particularly ambitious you could go for your DPM/PhD. Scholl offers this track. It's most beneficial if you're looking to do a lot of research. We have two students from the class of 2010 that were recently accepted into it.