R-1 (MD, DO ) R-2 (PA,NP) R-3 (DPM,DC,DPT) - what is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogSnoot

Reaction score
Ive recently learned about R1, R2 and R3. However, upon further research I can't find additional information. Do you have additional insight into this? The way it was explained to me is R-1 (MD, DO) R-2 (PA,NP) R-3 (DPM,DC,DPT) and are designations for provider scope and coverage. Additional links and sources would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Ive never heard about this at all. Not sure how scope of practice would correlate someone who has admitting privileges, prescription rights, and can do surgery to people who cant even prescribe drugs (DPM vs Chiro)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have no idea what you are talking about. Been in practice for 9 years. Your scope varies based on what the state allows. All the hospitals I am at follow the state, as they should, or else they'd be sued.
So - this has been coming up in PM News articles and one of the podiatry leader types (DeHeer?) or someone wrote a musing about what it would take to change things / improve our lot. However, this terminology above ie. R-Number is not something you can easily locate online ie. when I search for it nothing comes up other than the article I mention. Its just not descriptive enough for google to find. So it will take some leadership type/APMA person to explain but essentially MD/DOs are in some sort of separate category in a legislation/administrative article somewhere and it has some sort of significance but obviously most of us don't know it exists. Until I saw some postings in PM News I had never heard of it.

Not sure what it means but Getting lumped in with the chiropractors is never good.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Sounds like MD's trying to hold on to their top of the ladder rung by trying to keep pushing others down.

They must feel especially threatened by Podiatric surgeons to put us behind PA's and NP's who can't do surgery.

Reactions: 1 user
R1 is residency year 1, R2 is residency year 2, and so on. Some institutions use this instead of PGY.

An MD/DO in a preliminary/transition year position can be called PGY-1. But, when they move on to residency, it would be confusing to call them PGY-2, since the second year residents are also PGY-2.

You could just keep calling them PGY-1 for another year, but I’m sure someone with a big head decided that prelim residents don’t “deserve” to use the same letters and numbers as interns, even though the match fails approx. 2K qualified MD/DO students each year.

Robin-jay, you weren’t too far off base.

Reactions: 1 user
What you're most likely referring to are physician classifications listed in §1861(r) of the Social Security Act. Podiatrists are categorized separately from MDs/DOs; the latter are defined in (r)1, while the former are defined in (r)3. (Dentists are defined in (r)2, optometrists in (r)4, and chiropractors in (r)5.)

There has been a push among some podiatry lobbying groups to move podiatry to the same category as MDs/DOs (with the definition that mentions practicing medicine and surgery) instead of being relegated to a separate category.

Physician​

(r) The term “physician”, when used in connection with the performance of any function or action, means (1) a doctor of medicine or osteopathy legally authorized to practice medicine and surgery by the State in which he performs such function or action (including a physician within the meaning of section 1101(a)(7))
(3) a doctor of podiatric medicine for the purposes of subsections (k), (m), (p)(1), and (s) of this section and sections 1814(a), 1832(a)(2)(F)(ii), and 1835 but only with respect to functions which he is legally authorized to perform as such by the State in which he performs them

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
What you're most likely referring to are physician classifications listed in §1861(r) of the Social Security Act. Podiatrists are categorized separately from MDs/DOs; the latter are defined in (r)1, while the former are defined in (r)3. (Dentists are defined in (r)2, optometrists in (r)4, and chiropractors in r(5).)

There has been a push among some podiatry lobbying groups to move podiatry to the same category as MDs/DOs (with the definition that mentions practicing medicine or surgery) instead of being relegated to a separate category.
And we have a winner. Great post.

Reactions: 1 users