Pro & Con of BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CPmustangs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to see what people had to say about Boston University. I have read some places where people talked about the ranking of the school went down, I am not sure how important that really is. THanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
there's a good thread on the new US news rankings and what they mean. All in all...where else did you get in that you're debating about with BU.

there's a good thread on the new US news rankings and what they mean. All in all...where else did you get in that you're debating about with BU.

I am deciding between SLU and BU, and trying to decide if i want to send a letter of intent to USC (i am from California)

Pro: Good city, good hospital

Cons: EXPENSIVE, meh school for the price tag, stingy on financial aid, not very connected with the undergrad and you don't get much of a campus feel

I don't know much about the curriculum however I do know they do pretty well in terms of match and indigent patient care. Not thrilled about the part of town it's in though.

Another pro is that it is pass/fail for the first two years. I spoke with a BU student the other day and she said that they also don't rank the class.

not very connected with the undergrad

Why is this an important consideration?

Also, I've heard conflicting reports about pass/fail with no rank. On one hand there is no pressure, on the other hand all you have to stand out from among your classmates in residency application is your step 1 score and your clinicals.

Well, the theory behind pass/fail and no rank is to neutralize gunners. You are no longer directly competing with your classmates, so you are more inclined to work together and do better as a class. If your are being ranked and the classes are graded, students become less willing to share notes, study guides, etc. It is also better for the school because, theoretically, this would increase the class' pass rate on the Steps (no med student left behind:)). Personally, I consider it a plus. I don't see the purpose in having to constantly feel like I am in competition with my classmates. Others, as the previous poster pointed out, will disagree.

yeah def send that letter of intent.. USC?? cmon...
but between SLU and BU is kinda tough. i'm not sure which one is more exp. also depends which city you like better. i got into slu and really liked it, but i also got into Wayne, my state school, which was about 19k cheaper. i would have gone to slu if i hadn't gotten into wayne.

Pro's: great city, pass/fail for the first two years, integrated curriculum, nice hospital (Level 1 Trauma center)

Con's: BU is probably more expensive than SLU, clinical exposure feedback from students has been inconsistent, the medical school is in a somewhat sketchy part of town and is not close to the main campus, and no designated student housing

For more con's, check out the "Be wary of BU" thread. I don't know how true every thing in there is, but it does raise some valid concerns that might be worth looking into for people that are still deciding whether or not to attend.

I just wanted to see what people had to say about Boston University. I have read some places where people talked about the ranking of the school went down, I am not sure how important that really is. THanks

oh it's expensive and low ranked and all other bad stuff people say should make you go to some other school because I need your seat :D