If not accredited why bother???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enlightme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking at textbook Graduate programs in the humanities, arts and social sciences (2008 edition) and there are so many programs that are not accredited by APA so why would someone want to apply to these programs. If it is not accredited, then isn't the degree pretty much useless.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if it's necessarily useless, but I was encouraged by numerous sources to target APA-approved programs.

It depends. Harvard's clinical psych program isn't accredited yet, but it surely will be when its APA review comes. So, there are people who chose to go there b/c they're confident that it's a well-respected (albeit new) program that will be accredited by the time they apply for internship. Not really sure about programs in the arts and humanities. I could be wrong, but I didn't think APA accredited those programs, only psych-related programs (school, counseling, I/O, clinical, development psychology).

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was only clinical programs that were accredited. If you're looking to go into research or teaching there's no need to attend an accredited program.

You're pretty close -- I think only APPLIED programs (school, clinical, counseling) should be accredited. The latter two need to be accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) but school psychology programs are ok if they are only accredited by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP). If the proram is not accredited, you're prettty much wasting your time when it comes to finding a job (or even an internship). As a matter of fact, if you look on the APA website (www.apa.org) and look at the classifieds, literally all jobs require that you go to an APA-accredited program and the more prestigious jobs require BOTH an APA-accreidted program AND an APA-accredited internship....

However, programs that have no applied component (e.g., cognitive, experiemental) cannot be accredited by the APA and, therefore, perfectly fine if they are not accredited.

If someone has clinical goals I have no idea why anyone would go to a non-accredited school. There is some stuff you can do with it, but you REALLY cut down your options and I can't imagine doing so. If its not Clinical/Counseling/School its not eligible for accreditation so it doesn't matter.

Obviously, if you don't want to be a clinician it does not directly affect you (via licensure). So if you're essentially looking to be an "Experimental psychopathologist" than I don't see the harm. For the most part though, unaccredited clinical schools do not seem geared towards producing faculty (with some exceptions, Harvard being one of them) so I never really understood it.

I am looking at only Clinical psychology programs and there are still some that are not accredited. (ex) California State Univ. not accredited,..Anyone want to know which school is accredite while I am here?? Or what the faculty research specialty are??

i'm pretty sure only UCs can give phds which may be why the CSU isn't accredited

You're pretty close -- I think only APPLIED programs (school, clinical, counseling) should be accredited. The latter two need to be accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) but school psychology programs are ok if they are only accredited by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP).

Agreed.

....jobs require that you go to an APA-accredited program and the more prestigious jobs require BOTH an APA-accreidted program AND an APA-accredited internship....

The more competitive jobs definitely req. both program and internship, and depending on your area....post-doc too (Neuro is one area I've seen).

Someone mentioned Harvard.....from my understanding, it isn't that they aren't up for review yet, but that they aren't seeking accreditation because it doesn't fit what they are looking to do with the program (produce only researchers, not clinicians). There were a couple threads on the program in the last year or so, so if anyone is curious they are out there.

^^^ I know which forum you are talking about some of the accredited programs are not listed in the forum. It is best to refer to a textbook like this.

"We anticipate that the clinical program will receive accreditation by the American Psychological Association; however, this can occur no earlier than 2005. Clinical Science students who graduate after that APA approval is granted can state that their degree was from an APA-accredited program. "
-From Harvard's Clinical Psych website. I know this is somewhat off topic, but I'm pretty sure Harvard is seeking APA accreditation. They're a clinical science program, to be sure, but that doesn't mean they're not seeking accreditation.

I agree with the other posters. If you go the non-APA accredited route, you're likely cutting back your options (particularly for clinical work), so if you're looking for a scientist-practitioner program then make sure it's accredited. If a program's website doesn't say it's accredited (which is probably means it's not) an easy way to find out is to check the "Graduate Study in Psychology" manual, which APA publishes each year. It's available in libraries and most bookstores and details every APA-accredited program in school, clinical, and counseling psych.

For clinical psych, the only exception is the UCSD/ SDSU joint program. If this is incorrect, please be more specific.

i guess i should have been more specific. i meant that CSUs couldn't give PhDs on their own. if they do i think it has to be via a joint program with a UC. that's what they told us at the JDP interview at least...

I accepted an offer from a non-accredited clinical phd program that is now seeking accreditation. The match rates are high for apa approved internships, and my POI and others there seemed to not be concerned about their careers being limited. I would like to continue to do research, but work in a hospital setting eventually(neuropsych concentration). I'm now incredibly concerned that I made a bad decision. However, my research interests are completely in line with my POI and that's why I wanted to go there. Wouldn't it seem reasonable that jobs posted on the APA website would want people who came from APA accredited programs? Wouldn't there be other opportunities for those who did not come from an APA accredited program, but an accredited internship? What happens to all these people coming from non-accredited programs???

Well I believe there are at least a few states you won't be able to be licensed in, maybe more. I also believe VA's will not be an option (unless accreditation is secured).

Its not a kiss of death, but you did likely create quite a few artificial hurdles for yourself. Neuropsych internships and post-docs are rather competitive and becoming moreso so I think being sure you REALLY stand out from the pack at your school would be a wise move given you will be applying with a pretty big strike against you.

You will not be unemployable, but unless your university becomes accredited, there's a good chance it will create some pretty substantial limits on your employment options since VAs and the bulk of major academic medical centers require APA programs (at least the ones I've been affiliated with - it may be different in other parts of the country).

Pretty much what Ollie said. I believe Mississippi and Alabama are the two states that req. APA program acred. The VA is definitely out, as are most/all academic medical centers, and many competitive placements.

I'd talk with your POI and see what they think about the situation. Accreditation doesn't make a program good or bad in regard to training, but the licensure and employment issues need to be evaluated. If I had any thought of wanting to do applied work, I'd definitely want to get some opinions from people out in the field.

I agree with sweetrelief in that the match rates are high(er) for apa approved internships, however, there are some apa accredited programs that aren't exactly stellar and there are some non-accredited programs that are really great! The most important thing to remember is the "goodness of fit". Make sure you have some faculty that you can work with and possibly do research with. The connections you make will likely get you further than an APA acreditation. However, I reiterate, the APA accredited programs look better for APA internship sites. At least, they know you're program has hit all their marks for a successful candidate. Good luck!