Appic member post doc not APA accredited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisisjustatest

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all
My post doc site is a private non profit hospital. Postdocs were hired on a 90 day probation period. My question is as a APPIC member postdoc but not APA accredited and did not participate in the match ( there is no match for postdoc this year), can they terminate a postdoc before 90 day probation period without dual process and appic involvement?

Members don't see this ad.

You mean the offer letter? That did not say anything. We only found out at orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that no postdocs are apa accredited.

I agree, they should have provided materials at orientation for things like SOPs and a trainee handbook. And yes, as an APPIC member site, they should adhere to APPIC policies. Whether they need to contact APPIC before a termination probably depends on various factors, including the urgency of the issue potentially necessitating termination, but they will almost undoubtedly contact APPIC at some point. I haven't read up on APPIC's regulations in a little while, but I don't know that they provide any minimum time frame for work duration before a potential termination can occur.

Reactions: 1 user
Postdocs were hired on a 90 day probation period.
I don't know all that much about the technical aspects of training governance but could this be a blanket hospital policy for all new hires that the program has to follow?

It's disadvantageous for a postdoc to terminate somebody, even when it is 100% justified (e.g., cases of gross misconduct) as that can impact things like future funding support for training while reducing access to care that the site was depending on.

Outside of those extreme cases where somebody demonstrates such poor clinical/ethical judgment that an immediate termination is needed to prevent things like future patients from being harmed, a program should make every effort to remediate problems that arise in order to both avoid an unnecessary termination but more importantly, to help that trainee develop and improve.