What kind of bleach did you use? (for collecting teeth)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalicous1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of bleach did you use? (for the collecting teeth solution)

Is it okay to just get clorox or regular cvs brand bleach? I figured the cvs one would have less extra junk in it.

Members don't see this ad.

Use whatever is cheapest.

great so cvs brand bleach it is! i just didn't know if it and clorox have other random chemicals in there that would be harmful to the teeth so figured I should double check. thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
DO they really have scented bleach? I think regular bleach smells :barf:

Oh yes… they have quite a selection of scents to pick from.

I actually enjoy the smell of regular bleach, but maybe that’s just me. :D

How early did you start collecting teeth? I start school in July and I don't know if I should start collecting teeth this early.

gamma radiate and put them in 0.1% thymol solution

Just curious...how long do you have to leave the teeth in bleach??

are 1st and 2nd molars the best teeth to collect?.. wisdoms?

an oral surgeon told me to use formalin and glycerin 1:1 ratio. He said that bleach dries them out.

an oral surgeon told me to use formalin and glycerin 1:1 ratio. He said that bleach dries them out.
Thats my plan, ordered the chemicals from a chemical supply co last week.

why are you collecting teeth?
Some dental schools require students to bring extracted teeth to work on for pre-clinic lab. (practice procedures on real teeth before doing them on real people)

1. Of those students already collecting teeth, how and when did you know to begin collecting?

2. What happens if you do not have enough teeth? Can they be bought?

Thanks

After you get accepted, bring a jar to your local oral surgeon office and ask him to put in all the teeth he can. Store them in one of the above things, like diluted bleach, or sodium hydroxide, whatever, and get as many as you can.

You won't use them all, but the more you have, the better your chances of finding a good tooth to work on. We did some cavity preps, endo, etc. on the teeth we collected. The teeth are extracted, meaning they were pulled because they were decayed or unsavable. Sometimes a tooth is pulled because of econimics of the patient, and these teeth are pretty good to work on.