UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

I am complete at TCOM as of a couple days ago and now just waiting for an interview invite....any other fellow applicants for the 2009 cycle out there??

TCOM called me yesterday to schedule an interview on Thur 8/21. I finished my secondary essay around 7/27.

Members don't see this ad :)
TCOM called me yesterday to schedule an interview on Thur 8/21. I finished my secondary essay around 7/27.

wow thats so soon and awesome!! Good luck to you!

I know the deadline is in October, but am I too late for TCOM? I have all of my stuff entered into TMDSAS but I think I'm chickening out :scared:

I know the deadline is in October, but am I too late for TCOM? I have all of my stuff entered into TMDSAS but I think I'm chickening out :scared:

I don't think you're too late. Send it in as soon as you can. I am still waiting for my MCAT results(which will suck, i'm sure), then i submit. In the mean time, i sent out the primary and secondary.

Good luck to you!

I have an interview scheduled for this Friday (August 15th). Anyone who has interviewed with TCOM this year willing to give any advice?

I have an interview scheduled for this Friday (August 15th). Anyone who has interviewed with TCOM this year willing to give any advice?

I interviewed at TCOM yesterday (August 12th). There was only 9 people at mine so expect to get lots of one on one attention and bring all questions you may have because there are plenty of opportunities to ask them. The campus is relatively small so there isn't much walking. The people that will welcome you in the admissions office and take care of you most of the day are extremely helpful and nice. Make friends with Lynn Scott in the admissions office. She will give you a tour of the college and is a wealth of information about the school. She has worked at many different medical schools across the country for the last 30+ years, so when she tells you TCOM is different from anywhere else in certain areas, she really does know. Overall it was a very pleasant experience. Feel free to PM me with any other questions you might have!

I am complete at TCOM as of a couple days ago and now just waiting for an interview invite....any other fellow applicants for the 2009 cycle out there??

Yep! I was complete with TCOM as of Monday and am just waiting......

I submitted my primary & secondary, but my MCAT scores won't be in till late september. I will be in back of the line.

Do you know anyone who got in TCOM with a low MCAT? how low?

The only peep Ive found who have been admited with semi-low mcat scores were admitted in the 90's. I searched profiles in on md apps a while ago. . . I think the scores were low to mid 20's.

TCOM seems to be raising their standards - I'm hoping to get an interview but I dunnoo ... I've been complete since July 21st. I have DO letter being sent by the end of the week.

Sorry, wrong info about tcom. . . 24 is the lowest mcat score I've seen accepted, with both gpas above 3.6.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know anyone who got in TCOM with a low MCAT? how low?

On the TCOM website under admissions- entering class statistics they list the MCAT score range for all accepted applicants for 2007 and 2008.

where are all the TCOM applicants this year :( any other OOS'ers?

it is quite. May be not lot of people interested in TCOM. It will increase our chance of getting in :)

it is quite. May be not lot of people interested in TCOM. It will increase our chance of getting in :)

exactly what I was thinking :thumbup: TCOM is my top choice....I have been complete for almost 2 weeks, just waiting around :sleep:

TCOM doesn't get a lot of applications from out-of-state people because its a pain in the ass to fill out another primary application. Their stats are always around the top end of DO schools though, because so many Texas applicants apply only in Texas, and don't bother with the out-of-state MD programs.

TCOM doesn't get a lot of applications from out-of-state people because its a pain in the ass to fill out another primary application. Their stats are always around the top end of DO schools though, because so many Texas applicants apply only in Texas, and don't bother with the out-of-state MD programs.

yeah I know about the 10% rule, just seeing if there were any fellow OOS'ers out there :)

I'm an OOS applying to TCOM. It's also my first choice. Not sure how selective they get with out of state applicants, but my numbers are average.

I'm an OOS applying to TCOM. It's also my first choice. Not sure how selective they get with out of state applicants, but my numbers are average.

cool...where are you from and when were you complete with your app.?

Just wanted to see if any one else is in a similar situation. I was complete at TCOM July 29th, my MD lor was turned in then however my DO letter is being sent out today. My advisor said TCOM was very stringent on the DO lor. . . so I'm hoping for an interview by the end of the month:scared:

I've received 2 interview invites from oos, and even though the tuition is 4x as tcom, I dont think I'll wait around on TCOMs waitinglist . . if I even get to that point. Is anyone else thinking they might wait as longas they need to to gain admitance to TCOM?

Just wanted to see if any one else is in a similar situation. I was complete at TCOM July 29th, my MD lor was turned in then however my DO letter is being sent out today. My advisor said TCOM was very stringent on the DO lor. . . so I'm hoping for an interview by the end of the month:scared:

I've received 2 interview invites from oos, and even though the tuition is 4x as tcom, I dont think I'll wait around on TCOMs waitinglist . . if I even get to that point. Is anyone else thinking they might wait as longas they need to to gain admitance to TCOM?

I'm OOS but since you are a Texas resident, you have a pretty good chance...and its not like you aren't sending in a DO LOR. Good luck!! I have been complete since the first week in August just nervously waiting for any word :)

GEEZ!! Who do you have to blow around here to get a TCOM invite!!??

haha I'm not sure but I am getting nervous....I want to at least get an interview invite. I e-mailed admissions yesterday about my status and they said my app is complete and ready for review....and that they started interviews in July and will complete interviews in December. I am nervous because I am OOS and they give out those acceptances Oct. 15, which is pretty soon if you think about it :confused: but good luck to everyone, hopefully we hear something soon! :thumbup:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: My thought exactly! Someone in the pre-allo forum in the republic of texas thread said they got an invite today around one o'clock.

I am out of state too! Once the application is complete, how long until the interview invite? It seems like forever.

haha I'm not sure but I am getting nervous....I want to at least get an interview invite. I e-mailed admissions yesterday about my status and they said my app is complete and ready for review....and that they started interviews in July and will complete interviews in December. I am nervous because I am OOS and they give out those acceptances Oct. 15, which is pretty soon if you think about it :confused: but good luck to everyone, hopefully we hear something soon! :thumbup:

Yeah, I emailed admissions to see if they recieved my DO lor and to see if she had a rough estimation of when interview/rejection letters would be sent out for my application. . . they received my letter yesterday and she said they would let interviewees know within 24 hours of their decision. . .and that they would continue to review complete apps through the end of Nov. They complete interviews in Mid dec.

Hope someone gets an interview soon!

I am surprised that your profile pic didn't help in getting an interview:p

Haha! You think TCOM admissions commitee are democrats? GW loves to look like an a** in public doesnt he?! I dont know if you can see it but he has his hand on his stomach while everyone else has their hand on their heart.

Yeah, I emailed admissions to see if they recieved my DO lor and to see if she had a rough estimation of when interview/rejection letters would be sent out for my application. . . they received my letter yesterday and she said they would let interviewees know within 24 hours of their decision. . .and that they would continue to review complete apps through the end of Nov. They complete interviews in Mid dec.

Hope someone gets an interview soon!

Yeah I got pretty much the same answer by e-mail...hopefully we all hear something soon! Goodluck everyone! :luck:

Has anyone tried to get in state residency? I read that Texas is easy to get state residency in, is that still the case?

I am a Texas resident, but here is a website that should help http://www.collegefortexans.com/residency/CoreQuest.pdf

Also, is there anyone who has an interview for 9/9 coming up?

So far no one has claimed an interview on this thread. You are hopefully one of the many that will chime in on an interview invite. Congrats Rob!! When were you considered complete (with secondary, all lors/MCAT scores sent)?

Just got an invite for 9/11. TCOM is my first choice, so I'm all sorts of happy.

Just got an invite for 9/11. TCOM is my first choice, so I'm all sorts of happy.

Congrats!!! I know there are many of us here who hope to be in your shoes soon. Good luck at your interview!:)

I got one today as well. I couldn't make it on 9/11, so they scheduled me for 9/16. Maybe I'll see some of you guys there.

Are you instate MeFix?

I got one today as well. I couldn't make it on 9/11, so they scheduled me for 9/16. Maybe I'll see some of you guys there.

Are you instate MeFix?

I am definitely a resident of Texas and was complete last week (had a LoR that took a while).

Congratulations and good luck on your interview Flushot!

Hey, thanks and you too. If it's not too much trouble, please let us know how the interview goes. I'd love to hear anything.

What do you guys think my chances are as an OOS'er?? My stats are.....I have been complete since the first week of August and am getting a little nervous since I have not gotten an interview invite yet :confused:

26 O MCAT
4.0 overall and science GPA
normal EC's, shadowing, 2 years of research, volunteering in the ER, leadership roles in orgs at school, etc.

Worried that my MCAT may be ruining it for me...

I am an in-stater from the University of North Texas. Long time listener, first time poster, so to speak...

anyway, I just had my interview at TCOM today and I LOVED it. The interview is great, all of the staff and students are great, very relaxed and conversational environment. I loved everything about it.

I hope that you guys all get interviews soon, but once you get it, don't stress too much, because it is a great place, and they take care of you.

Much Luck.

Congrats Mean Green!

I have mine scheduled for 9/9, so if there is anyone else on that date please let me know!

I think I was complete at the first part of August. My school took a while getting my evaluation letters in from our prehealth committee and I dont think that they got that until early august. But I know they had the rest of my materials on 7/24.

Dont know if that makes any difference but thats all I know!

I am so glad to see this thread getting in on some interviewing action!! Why dont you guys post your interviews in the interview thread? That way I don't have to obsessively check each thread every hour;)

Hey, Mefixyouup when was your file complete?

What do you guys think my chances are as an OOS'er?? My stats are.....I have been complete since the first week of August and am getting a little nervous since I have not gotten an interview invite yet :confused:

26 O MCAT
4.0 overall and science GPA
normal EC's, shadowing, 2 years of research, volunteering in the ER, leadership roles in orgs at school, etc.

Worried that my MCAT may be ruining it for me...

Keep thinking positively Meganmarie!! Not everyone has a 4.0, your bringing something valuable to the table, I think that GPA should makeup for your avg. MCAT. . . .remember a 26 is pretty average for DO schools, so it's really not that bad of a score given your background.

Keep thinking positively Meganmarie!! Not everyone has a 4.0, your bringing something valuable to the table, I think that GPA should makeup for your avg. MCAT. . . .remember a 26 is pretty average for DO schools, so it's really not that bad of a score given your background.

thanks for the encouragement :) I am really hoping for an interview...so I hope the adcoms see it the same way as you do! good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews :luck:

thanks for the encouragement :) I am really hoping for an interview...so I hope the adcoms see it the same way as you do! good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews :luck:

What other schools are you applying to?

Status
Not open for further replies.