UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What other schools are you applying to?

a bunch....nova, dmu, kcumb, osu, ccom, azcom, msucom, both pcoms, ATSU/kcom, LMU-DCOM and a bunch of MD schools....SLU, Creighton, loyola, rush, U of louisville, MSUCHM, UIC, MCW....and I think thats about it...I applied to a lot to increase my chances of an acceptance. I have 3 interviews so far at dmu, kcumb, and ccom....so I don't think I am going to complete all my secondaries just because I have spent so much already! What schools are you applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm another OOS applying to TCOM :D

Figure why the hell not since I already spent all the time and money on filling out TMDSAS and I really want to stay close to home in AZ...

Haven't submitted my AACOMAS yet though because I'm chicken and burned out from filling out all 26 secondaries from the AMCAS, not to mention my poor wallet... ouch!

So apparently I have less than a month to click that button, or in my case, send in a separate letter/check/photo to TMDSAS since I was an idiot and didn't select it as one of my schools the first time.

Good luck to everyone this season!!

Figure why the hell not since I already spent all the time and money on filling out TMDSAS and I really want to stay close to home in AZ...

Haven't submitted my AACOMAS yet though because I'm chicken and burned out from filling out all 26 secondaries from the AMCAS, not to mention my poor wallet... ouch!

So apparently I have less than a month to click that button, or in my case, send in a separate letter/check/photo to TMDSAS since I was an idiot and didn't select it as one of my schools the first time.

Cool another OOS'er. Good luck to you! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
a bunch....nova, dmu, kcumb, osu, ccom, azcom, msucom, both pcoms, ATSU/kcom, LMU-DCOM and a bunch of MD schools....SLU, Creighton, loyola, rush, U of louisville, MSUCHM, UIC, MCW....and I think thats about it...I applied to a lot to increase my chances of an acceptance. I have 3 interviews so far at dmu, kcumb, and ccom....so I don't think I am going to complete all my secondaries just because I have spent so much already! What schools are you applying to?

You are definitley applying broadly!! Congrats on yor interviews!! I'm not applying to quite as many. . .KCUMB, both PCOMs, KCOM, AZCOM, TOURO-NV, TCOM, then a few MD schools in Texas, TT in el paso, UT san antonio, UT houston, UT Galveston.
So far I have been offered 5 interviews, KCOM, KCUMB, AZCOM, TOURO, UT San Antonio. Sooo from what I've read, schools typically accept anywhere from 10%-25% of all interviewees.
I decided not to go to Kirksville though, I dont think that location would work out for me and my gf.. . its a bit too backwoods.

You are definitley applying broadly!! Congrats on yor interviews!! I'm not applying to quite as many. . .KCUMB, both PCOMs, KCOM, AZCOM, TOURO-NV, TCOM, then a few MD schools in Texas, TT in el paso, UT san antonio, UT houston, UT Galveston.
So far I have been offered 5 interviews, KCOM, KCUMB, AZCOM, TOURO, UT San Antonio. Sooo from what I've read, schools typically accept anywhere from 10%-25% of all interviewees.
I decided not to go to Kirksville though, I dont think that location would work out for me and my gf.. . its a bit too backwoods.

yeah I took some advice from my cousin who is an MD....and she told me to amp up the number of schools in order to increase my chances of acceptance. I am not expecting many MD interviews, if I get any at all. Congrats on your UTSA interview invite. I have not filled out my KCOM or LMU-DCOM secondary yet because I am pretty sure I don't want to go to those places. I also got an interview invite last night to AZCOM too so I am pretty happy. I would be even happier if I got a TCOM interview :) Good luck to you! :luck:

Hey, I saw on your MDapps that you're in the MA program at AZCOM this year. I'm also doing it, so maybe I'll see you around class sometime. Good luck on your stuff.

Really?? There's only 50 of us or so in this year's MA class, what did you think about our first physio lecture i thought it was pretty freakin ridiculous the 80+ slides was stuff that took us over a month to learn in my upper div cell bio course in undergrad, i'm totally not feeling this quarter system thing. sorry this is off topic, are you applying this year? feel free to PM me if you know how since i don't.

so has anyone heard anything lately....any updates???? :confused: I check my status page everyday and still nothing :(

I know some people are interviewing on Thursday, since they offered me that day but it would've cost me $800+ to fly down there at such short notice. Also, I had to take care of some things before the 14th, so I asked for a later day. My interview is in a week, so I'm pretty excited.

Other than that, no news. I know they're busy and may not like it, but have you tried calling them?

A little ot but...
Renny, I'm actually not too overwhelmed by the program so far. It's mostly review and even if it wasn't, they do go into great detail (aka slower) on some of the more 'difficult' concepts. I think if you stay on top of the game, it shouldn't require any all-nighters. Just a few hours each day and you'll make it.

I have done the e-mail thing and I received a response with a sort of annoyed tone...so I am not going to call :)

I already turned in my application - can I still turn in my LOR without telling TCOM?

I already turned in my application - can I still turn in my LOR without telling TCOM?

Yes. It took me a while to find a DO to shadow in my area so I had to turn in my DO lor 2 months after I submitted the secondary application.

I am still waiting to hear back. . .

I think it would be safe to hassle them a bit with a call or two. This is a busy time, which is why I'm a little concerned about the other TX schools and their status. I think they might be used to it as well, so no harm in checking.

Members don't see this ad :)
so has anyone heard anything lately....any updates???? :confused: I check my status page everyday and still nothing :(

Nothing here either. I have a friend who knows a med student at TCOM and this student told her that they are about to send out a bunch of invites. Not sure if it's true, but it gives me hope!!!

Nothing here either. I have a friend who knows a med student at TCOM and this student told her that they are about to send out a bunch of invites. Not sure if it's true, but it gives me hope!!!

oooo hopefully this is true!!! :thumbup:

When I head down there on the 16th, I'll ask them for future invites as well. They might just be swamped. I think some people in the pre-MD TX thread were talking about this a little too.

I wouldn't sweat it; there's plenty of months left.

Do they have interview invites for saturday? I can't take off more days from work.

I also missed the call about my invite 'cos i was out of the country. I hope they don't pass u over if u don't call back for five days.

I am soo excited!!! but i don't know what to expect. Can those who have been there tell me what to expect. Should i review my application. memorize answers to the usual questions like: why do you want to become a physician?, What are ur strengths/weaknesses?, Why should we consider you for our program?.........

I think they'll be pretty good if you get back to them in at least 2 weeks. That's how long Touro-NV gave me to respond.

To answer your question, I don't think they give out weekend invites. I don't think any school will for that matter, so you'll have to miss that day of work. This is a pretty good excuse, so they should understand.

I would take a look at the interview feedback on SDN (at the top, go to Databases link, next to the forum link) and read up on TCOM. Also, going over your application and secondary are key.

I also think that going over the website is overrated, since it is simply too easy and is missing a lot of information. SDN is much more informative, and look at local new reports on any construction or activity that the school is undergoing (I think there is some at TCOM now; I'll have to check tonight).

Congrats on the invite! I'm going to interview there on Tuesday, so I'm pretty excited/nervous. I'll be sure to head back here and report.

I think they'll be pretty good if you get back to them in at least 2 weeks. That's how long Touro-NV gave me to respond.

To answer your question, I don't think they give out weekend invites. I don't think any school will for that matter, so you'll have to miss that day of work. This is a pretty good excuse, so they should understand.

I would take a look at the interview feedback on SDN (at the top, go to Databases link, next to the forum link) and read up on TCOM. Also, going over your application and secondary are key.

I also think that going over the website is overrated, since it is simply too easy and is missing a lot of information. SDN is much more informative, and look at local new reports on any construction or activity that the school is undergoing (I think there is some at TCOM now; I'll have to check tonight).

Congrats on the invite! I'm going to interview there on Tuesday, so I'm pretty excited/nervous. I'll be sure to head back here and report.

thanks flushot. Goodluck to you to. Are you staying with a student host or booking a hotel? let me know what hotel deals u have, if any.

Hey, thanks. My parents actually live in Dallas, so I'm staying with them. I think UNT has a little networking site for setting up living arrangements, but you can also use it for an interview stay. Sorry, there's not more I can tell you.

Hey guys! I have been looking for a thread like this about TCOM. I have been complete since the beginning of August, but my new MCAT scores come in next week. I am currently a second year graduate student (Masters in Immunology) at UNTHSC so if anyone has any questions about the area or the school I can try and help.

Thanks for the help noshie. I think I got it covered when I head over on Tuesday since I grew up in Dallas.

I just tried to look at my secondary now and it seems TCOM won't let you see it after you submit it. Hopefully you guys printed it out because I sure didn't :(

Hey everyone, just a hypothetical question. . .

If you got into Texas Tech in ElPAso, UT San Antonio and TCOM, which one would you choose?

Hey guys! I have been looking for a thread like this about TCOM. I have been complete since the beginning of August, but my new MCAT scores come in next week. I am currently a second year graduate student (Masters in Immunology) at UNTHSC so if anyone has any questions about the area or the school I can try and help.

What is the most affordable but decent hotel close to the school? one within walking distance would be great!

hey everyone, just a hypothetical question. . .

If you got into texas tech in elpaso, ut san antonio and tcom, which one would you choose?

tcom.

El paso is new, that's why i will pass on it.
Ut san antonio: Don't know much about.
Tcom: Over 30 years in existence and great reviews fro everyone i've heard talk about it.

Thanks for the help noshie. I think I got it covered when I head over on Tuesday since I grew up in Dallas.

I just tried to look at my secondary now and it seems TCOM won't let you see it after you submit it. Hopefully you guys printed it out because I sure didn't :(

I didn't print out mine either. It sucks!. just have to review TMDSAS.

Are you from TX dazed? TCOM does have better residency plcements than TT and UTsa. . .but having to ace only one step1 exam versus step 1 AND complex1 would also be nice.

There were a couple of recent threads on USMLE vs COMLEX but the consensus is that many allo residencies accept the COMLEX. It still wouldn't hurt to take both, but don't feel that you have to do that. The cirriculum will still be tailored towards COMLEX, so I would concentrate on doing well in that first and foremost.

Are you from TX dazed? TCOM does have better residency plcements than TT and UTsa. . .but having to ace only one step1 exam versus step 1 AND complex1 would also be nice.

yes, i am a texas resident. i keep learning all these wonderful things about TCOM! Better residency placements? up to date technology and a good curriculum! i don't see how i would go Allo instead of TCOM( all things being equal of course). it sure would be nice just to worry about the one exam.

Yeah, don't worry too much about the board exams. We still have to get through this first :)

Andddd my interview is about 8 hours from now. I should probably sleep since I have quite the drive to Ft Worth (currently in Dallas), so hopefully I'll see some of you guys there, in case anyone happens to lurk this page and have an interview tomorrow too :)

By the way, for anyone who might have a future interview at TCOM, you guys should definitely look at their website. It's actually a lot more detailed than I expected, in which I got a few questions out of it. It's pretty handy and was updated as recently as last week, so that's pretty nice.

They called me yesterday & invited me to an interview on the 25th. whoop! It's my first interview and I'm pretty nervous about it. I don't really feel prepared for it- can yall give me some advice? :confused:

They called me yesterday & invited me to an interview on the 25th. whoop! It's my first interview and I'm pretty nervous about it. I don't really feel prepared for it- can yall give me some advice? :confused:

Congrats littoohri! I just got finished sending you an answer to your question about my stats on the pre-allo 27-29 MCAT with interviews thread! I've been hoping to get an interview with TCOM for a while. I've heard a lot of good things about the school. What are your stats? I'm crossing my fingers that since our MCAT scores are the same that my interview is forthcoming! Hopefully A&M will show you some love as well. Good Luck!

congrats!!! Its good to hear that something is happening again. When were you complete and are you in state? I am OOS and have been complete for a while now, and still nothing....I am reallyyy hoping for an interview....also keeping my fingers crossed :rolleyes:

What is the most affordable but decent hotel close to the school? one within walking distance would be great!

Thats a tough one, there arent really any hotels within walking distance, but there are some in downtown fort worth which are probably less than a 10 min drive away. The UNTHSC website has a link posted for close hotels,

http://www.fortworth.com/01visitors/0109accommodations/0109accommodations.shtml

If you are coming in from DFW airport then I would recommend renting a car because its a little over an hour drive to Fort Worth, and then you will need a ride to and from the interview. I would think that the cab fees would add up quickly. Hope this helps!

Thanks! I believe I finished my TCOM stuff early July. I got the call around 5:30 pm yesterday while I was taking a nap. :) It was a good wakeup call. haha

biology major/english minor.

TX resident and an Aggie :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

3.47ish gpa and 3.37ish science gpa

27 mcat (10V 8PS 9BS)- I forgot the writing score but it was a decent score

Asian - I don't know if that matters but I'm just throwing that out there =X

Shadowed an internist, pediatrician, family doc, ob/gyn for like 10-15 hours each- I'm shadowing a DO right now but I didn't have that on my application

I'm doing research right now so that wasn't on my application either :(

I was a treasurer of a tutoring club, did AMSA (just a member), was in a couple of other clubs, went on a mission trip to Mexico, tutored kids English for a couple years, lots of church volunteer work, volunteered very little at the hospital (it was super boring haha), volunteered at a camp for disabled children for a week

I really don't know what else to write sooo there it is :luck:

Thats a tough one, there arent really any hotels within walking distance, but there are some in downtown fort worth which are probably less than a 10 min drive away. The UNTHSC website has a link posted for close hotels,

http://www.fortworth.com/01visitors/0109accommodations/0109accommodations.shtml

If you are coming in from DFW airport then I would recommend renting a car because its a little over an hour drive to Fort Worth, and then you will need a ride to and from the interview. I would think that the cab fees would add up quickly. Hope this helps!

thanks. i decided to use the host program. i want to come down on sunday, so i can do a private tour of the campus before everyone's back on monday.

Flushot how did ur interview go? i hope well. let us know.

hey guys,
I'm an OOSer currently establishing residency here in TX (will qualify as a resident next June). I was finished at TCOM pretty late, around middle of August, and haven't heard anything from them yet. Was I too late in applying?? My stats are 28P, 3.4 from a private TX school...

hey guys,
I'm an OOSer currently establishing residency here in TX (will qualify as a resident next June). I was finished at TCOM pretty late, around middle of August, and haven't heard anything from them yet. Was I too late in applying?? My stats are 28P, 3.4 from a private TX school...

No, I don't think you were too late in applying. I was complete on 8-6 and haven't heard anything yet either. I don't think I would start worrying until at least mid-November. Good luck!

hey guys,

don't worry. i was complete early august and just barely got the invite.

No, I don't think you were too late in applying. I was complete on 8-6 and haven't heard anything yet either. I don't think I would start worrying until at least mid-November. Good luck!

Are you OOS? Just curious, to hopefully clear up the situation.

I interviewed yesterday and all 16 of us were TX residents, so they're pretty heavy on it. This is still early in the cycle so don't give up yet.

I was complete on Aug 15 or so, if that helps. I also plan to submit an interview feedback right now.

Yea I'm OOS, but I'm working toward getting my residency right now and would be a resident before schools starts next year. Apparently they take my case into consideration when looking at my app...

Are you OOS? Just curious, to hopefully clear up the situation.

I interviewed yesterday and all 16 of us were TX residents, so they're pretty heavy on it. This is still early in the cycle so don't give up yet.

I was complete on Aug 15 or so, if that helps. I also plan to submit an interview feedback right now.

Nope, I'm in state. I really want an interview!!!! :)

Flushot how did ur interview go? i hope well. let us know.

Thanks; I think it went okay. The first interview could've gone better in my eyes, mostly because none of my responses made me stand out that much.

I went into painful detail on the interview feedback. I think it is currently the only one for 9/16/2008. Let me know if you have any questions beyond that.

Here's to Nov 15th!

I recieved an interview invite to TCOM for 10/9
I am a Texas resident. Any one going to be there that date?

I recieved an interview invite to TCOM for 10/9
I am a Texas resident. Any one going to be there that date?

Congrats on getting an invite! When did you get the call if you don't mind me asking?

So, about 2 weeks? That's around when I got my call (called on Aug 31, interviewed Sept 16).

Flushot, how did you like TCOM? I am excited for the interview I hear great things about the school.

Before a few of my other interviews there was a function the night before, was anything like that offered at TCOM?
Any recommendations on where to stay...for cheap?

I loved the place, but I had already visited the campus before so it wasn't completely new. I didn't hear of any function the night before and I have studying since I had a biochem test the day after the interview.

I stayed with my parents in Dallas, so I guess I can't help you. This also meant I had to leave at the crack of dawn.

The facilities are nice and if it is timed right, you can even sit in on a lecture.

If you want to know more, just go to the interview feedback on SDN and click the 9/17 one. That's mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.