UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey just got an interview invite for oct. 7, wondering if anyone else is gonna be there???

Members don't see this ad.

Hey just got an interview invite for oct. 7, wondering if anyone else is gonna be there???

do you mind telling us your stats, when you were complete, and if you are in state or out of state?

do you mind telling us your stats, when you were complete, and if you are in state or out of state?

My stats were roughly

GPA: 3.17ovr
3.25 sci

and a 29 on the MCAT

I was complete two weeks from the day I recieved the phone call, and I am considered in state even though I go to OOS school.

Hope that helps, im bascially an average joe

Members don't see this ad :)
it seems like they are only giving out 1 interview every week :( I am starting to get really impatient....but so far it seems as though all interviews have been for in-staters. When I e-mailed admissions, they said there is no different timeline for in-state and oos, but I am beginning to wonder....hopefully I will hear something soon :confused:

Yeah, they might be trickling out invites slowly now, but when I went on the 16th, it was still packed to about 16 interviewers. I wouldn't count on any week being different from the next. Just wait and hope for the best.

Our group had maybe 1 OOS person though, if you're curious.

Wow, you can hear a pin drop on this thread!! I sure hope to see some action next week. :(

Just had my interview on 9/23 and posted new feedback yesterday, check it out. Both of the interviews were very conversational. The whole experience was very positive :D Didin't have any oosers in my group, but there were a lot of Aggies :thumbdown: JK

Yeah, I took a gander and I completely agree about the gross lab. It seems very traditional and I think the biggest group consisted of maybe 6 students, so it wasn't so bad.

The testing methods are pretty standard too (setting up dissections and labeling them) but from what the 2nd years tell us, they like to add in extra fake nerves and the like, for the extra challenge.

Does anyone know how often TCOM gets new cadavers? I know its random, but when I took a tour there I remember there were a couple bodies being worked on- and they were all dryed out. They seemed pretty old. I just got back from KCUMB and they have new bodies ever y semester.

Well, I'm guess they have to get new cadavers as a similar rate to other schools. I mean, you take apart the whole thing throughout the course...what are they going to do, stitch it all back together?

When I interviewed, they had two cadavers out for "de-molding" or something. As far as the dried out look, I've seen AZCOM's cadavers and they look similar too; leathery, blanched, etc. So, you shouldn't worry.

Does anyone have any suggestions for food in the nearby area, besides my neccesary fix of taco cabana??

Does anyone have any suggestions for food in the nearby area, besides my neccesary fix of taco cabana??

Down on 7th street is Chipotle.... :D

No, but seriously, if you want Tex-Mex and are willing to spend a little money, go downtown to Reata's on Sundance Square. Get the Jalapeno Mac and Cheese. Tasty! Happy hour is from 4-7 PM with $3 margaritas on the rocks and cheap (can't remember the price) beer.

PM me if you need additional info. I not only live in the area but work about 1 mile from UNTHSC.

Down on 7th street is Chipotle.... :D

No, but seriously, if you want Tex-Mex and are willing to spend a little money, go downtown to Reata's on Sundance Square. Get the Jalapeno Mac and Cheese. Tasty! Happy hour is from 4-7 PM with $3 margaritas on the rocks and cheap (can't remember the price) beer.

PM me if you need additional info. I not only live in the area but work about 1 mile from UNTHSC.

Gracias Senora.. I will probably be at happy hour after my interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you coming in from wowzers?

Hey buddies....I am a first year OOS going to TCOM right now. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me...

When do OOS'ers get interviews?! Has anyone received one yet?! I am becoming impatient. My application is still under review, as it has been for almost 2 months. What is going on!

Anyone going to be a TCOM on 10/09?

Wowzersyea, why were you considered in state, if you are not?

When do OOS'ers get interviews?! Has anyone received one yet?! I am becoming impatient. My application is still under review, as it has been for almost 2 months. What is going on!

I know how you feel! I'm in-state and my application has been under review for two months as well. :confused:

UGH I know! I was complete over two months ago and I am an OOS'er. About a month ago I shot admissions an e-mail asking for a status update and I got an e-mail back saying that I should be patient because it is not simply a process of looking at numbers. The e-mail itself had sort of an annoyed tone to it, so I have not tried e-mailing or calling again. I understand that it takes time, but come on two months my application has been "under review"....it is very bothersome, and I wish I could just hear something by now, wether good or bad! stick in there everyone and good luck :luck:

Wowzersyea, why were you considered in state, if you are not?

I lived in Texas my whole life and my parents still live there. I am just going to school out of state. And by Texas rules that means I am still in state

Hey guys, TCOM is my 1st choice school and I was wondering what ya'll thought my chances of getting in were?

AACOMAS GPA = 3.25
non AACOMAS GPA = 2.9
MCAT = 31Q
Normal ECs = research, volunteer, working, shadowing DO, etc.
I have 3 great LORs (1 from DO, 1 from Volunteer Coordinator, 1 from professor).

Let me know what yall think, Thanks!:)

Hey guys, TCOM is my 1st choice school and I was wondering what ya'll thought my chances of getting in were?

AACOMAS GPA = 3.25
non AACOMAS GPA = 2.9
MCAT = 31Q
Normal ECs = research, volunteer, working, shadowing DO, etc.
I have 3 great LORs (1 from DO, 1 from Volunteer Coordinator, 1 from professor).

Let me know what yall think, Thanks!:)

TCOM uses your TMDSAS gpa, but other than that you seem like a good applicant

Yeah, your science GPA might even be better on TMDSAS or at least mine was. It didn't make much sense because I had a large amount of Nutrition courses and it isn't counted in science GPA like it is with AACOMAS, but it might be now.

Mintz and wowzers, do you have interviews? When are you going?

Just an update for OOs people wondering, I am out of state with average requirements and I got an interview in late September, and I was complete the last week of July. Hope this helps calm some people down. I asked and they try to limit the number of OOs people at each interview date to one or two, so that may be the reason it takes so long. There were two at my day, myself and a guy from Utah. They called me with the offer for an interview in early September.

Just an update for OOs people wondering, I am out of state with average requirements and I got an interview in late September, and I was complete the last week of July. Hope this helps calm some people down. I asked and they try to limit the number of OOs people at each interview date to one or two, so that may be the reason it takes so long. There were two at my day, myself and a guy from Utah. They called me with the offer for an interview in early September.

Thanks for the update, but what are these "average requirements" you are speaking of. I have 4.0 TMDSAS GPA's :) and a 26 MCAT :(.....I was complete beginning of August, so it's good to hear there is still hope!

Yeah, your science GPA might even be better on TMDSAS or at least mine was. It didn't make much sense because I had a large amount of Nutrition courses and it isn't counted in science GPA like it is with AACOMAS, but it might be now.

Mintz and wowzers, do you have interviews? When are you going?

I actually already interviewd Oct. 7...I really liked it and I will have my fingers crossed on Nov. 15ish!!

Ah, in state too? Yeah, I'll be refreshing on the 15th of Nov. I bet they already made up their minds long before then :scared:

Hello [potential] TCOM class of 2013!

I've hosted a few of you during your interviews here, and have been impressed with most of ya'll's presentation - however, here are a few pointers for those of you who haven't been to an osteopathic interview:

•PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE know who AT Still was. And OMT. And why you want to be different - I'd recommend reading The D.O.s if you need some history of our profession.
•please please please do NOT ask me if I'm upset that I can't specialize or prescribe medications. I can and probably will do the former.

Anyways, that is all - if you have any questions about school, feel free to contact me. I have been known to speak my mind (and yes, there are problems with TCOM). But TCOM is a great school with lots of friendly people from a swath of backgrounds...

I will say that all of the O-O-S'ers in my class are pretty bright... so good luck : )

PS Just FYI on '12 stats:
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/enteringclassstats.cfm

PS I didn't interview until mid November - and I got a prematch here : )

am VERY happy to be here, except that it is true that TCOM takes a lot of Texas students who didn't get into an MD program and probably don't give an 'ef' about osteopathy. But the majority do try to understand how we can approach medicine from a different perspective.

Peace. Love. Happiness.

3.6 and 28 Q, and no i didnt have any close ties to the state. I am from Oklahoma, and from the people i know in Oklahoma medical schools, Oklahoma schools treat Texas residents almost like Oklahoma residents so Im wondering if Texas does the same. Especially Osteopathic schools that focus on providing local doctors, if you like living in Oklahoma you probably will like living in Texas they are pretty similar. Hope this helps

thanks for the info, it sure seems like things are moving slowly for OOS...i'm from OK too, but I went to undergrad in TX...still no news...had similiar stats to Hoop (28O, 3.4) so hopefully i'll hear something soon...its my top choice D.O. by far

Hello [potential] TCOM class of 2013!

I've hosted a few of you during your interviews here, and have been impressed with most of ya'll's presentation - however, here are a few pointers for those of you who haven't been to an osteopathic interview:

•PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE know who AT Still was. And OMT. And why you want to be different - I'd recommend reading The D.O.s if you need some history of our profession.
•please please please do NOT ask me if I'm upset that I can't specialize or prescribe medications. I can and probably will do the former.

Anyways, that is all - if you have any questions about school, feel free to contact me. I have been known to speak my mind (and yes, there are problems with TCOM). But TCOM is a great school with lots of friendly people from a swath of backgrounds...

I will say that all of the O-O-S'ers in my class are pretty bright... so good luck : )

PS Just FYI on '12 stats:
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/enteringclassstats.cfm

PS I didn't interview until mid November - and I got a prematch here : )

am VERY happy to be here, except that it is true that TCOM takes a lot of Texas students who didn't get into an MD program and probably don't give an 'ef' about osteopathy. But the majority do try to understand how we can approach medicine from a different perspective.

Peace. Love. Happiness.

Hi, I'm a new member here and this is my first post! anyway, I finally got an interview at TCOM after being complete for more than two months (I'm in-state), and I just wanted to know what I can expect at the interview and how to kick butt. I'm currently in the UNT HSC grad program for CRM majors, so I know some of the current TCOM students who were in the Medical Science program.

Thanks for your help!!!

Hi, I'm a new member here and this is my first post! anyway, I finally got an interview at TCOM after being complete for more than two months (I'm in-state), and I just wanted to know what I can expect at the interview and how to kick butt. I'm currently in the UNT HSC grad program for CRM majors, so I know some of the current TCOM students who were in the Medical Science program.

Thanks for your help!!!

I interviewed there last week and really liked what TCOM has to offer. There was also another UNT HSC grad student in my interview group who was very helpful with information about TCOM and what is was like living in fort worth. Both interviews were very conversational and both interviewers were extremely nice. The lunch offered is the bomb, by far the best food at any interview ive been to. If you want to do well i would recommend being honest and yourself (very cliche but w/e). I had one interviewer question how i would fix the health care crisis, and i told him i had no clue how to fix it and if i did i would be running for office, not applying to medical school, i said the best i can do towards making it better is becoming a doctor.

The Grad student i talked to said that TCOM looks very favorably on your UNTHSC masters program, so i wouldnt sweat it to much...you have basically done your first year of med school. Good luck

hi
this is my first post and i'm a new member. i'm actually not applying this year, but just getting a taste of things potentially for next year. anyways, i was thinking about tcom because it's in texas, so i was looking into it and trying to talk to people about it.

i heard this school is not on a pass/fail system. does anyone know if this is true? tcom students if you're out there please let me know!

i heard from a friend that the school actually ranks people based on % scores, not even letter grades. please tell me i'm wrong. i think with that kind of ranking system, it has got to be tough to match into a good residency unless you're like the top 5 out of the entire class. i mean, i'll work hard, but top 5 is like brutal. it's like getting an A+ for all of undergrad!

thanks!:(

thanks for the info!
your answer to the healthcare question is actually the best one i've heard of, i was actually asked the same thing for my pre-health committee interview at my undergrad school.

and about the other post, the whole grading system... i was actually good friends with two med students at TCOM their first and second years while I was at grad school... and believe me, they said that this was one of the friendliest schools out there. everyone is always helping each other, and they said that it's really not as competitive as you think. there's the top 5% of the class who is ALWAYS top 5%, and then there's everyone else, and they're just worried about passing their classes. about the residency thing... i was told that if you kick butt on both the MD and DO boards, you'll be fine.

hope that helps a little

hi
this is my first post and i'm a new member. i'm actually not applying this year, but just getting a taste of things potentially for next year. anyways, i was thinking about tcom because it's in texas, so i was looking into it and trying to talk to people about it.

i heard this school is not on a pass/fail system. does anyone know if this is true? tcom students if you're out there please let me know!

i heard from a friend that the school actually ranks people based on % scores, not even letter grades. please tell me i'm wrong. i think with that kind of ranking system, it has got to be tough to match into a good residency unless you're like the top 5 out of the entire class. i mean, i'll work hard, but top 5 is like brutal. it's like getting an A+ for all of undergrad!

Im an OOS currently at TCOM c/o2011. to answer someones question posted earlier about OOSers getting interview dates, i think it weighs heavily on competition year in/ year out. when i applied i completed my application literally the day it closed, and i had secondary done a week later and within another week, an offer for interview (they were very full and actually didnt interview until late november). i received an acceptance phone call approx. 2 weeks after that around dec. 10th. so that tells you the speed at which this office can move. i hate to say it but if youre waiting this long, maybe you arent high on their priority list and you should start considering MSU, which is also a great school though slightly less selective, or other DO/MD schools.
TCOM is a great school, DO or not. It is on the US news and world report as a top 50 medical school with MSU being the only other DO school with this distinction (they actually rank a bit higher due to their much higher research budget, even though our comlex avgs are considerably higher, and highest in the nation).
To answer this question on grading. As most medical schools operate, all classes are curved to a point. core classes generally have a min avg of 83%. theyll curve up to meet this avg but will never round down. weve had some classes with an avg score of 86% or so. a few BS courses are pass/fail. these classes are classes a lot of other medical schools do not make you take such as ethics, and others. As far as ranking is concerned, youre ranked by both GPA (out of 100) and percentile. you do NOT get letter grades here. 70% is passing, below is failing, thats it. you fail a class you have to make it up on your own time over a break winter or summer by studying on your own and retaking a comprehensive exam. you fail two classes, you are removed from classes and you must ask for a hearing and ask to repeat the year at the next available time (next year). If you fail one class and fail to remediate, you must repeat the year, or possibly be sent back a year if its early in year 2 (same net effect basically). The classes are hard, the pace is incredible, the tests difficult, and the people intelligent. With all these, there is still NO real competitive attitude between students. this is probably because rankings arent released until beginning year 2. Im absolutely thrilled i chose to attend TCOM over other MD schools, and those lucky people who get in will love it here too.

feel free to ask me anything else you all want to know about TCOM and being a student here.

hi

Your friend has absolutely NO idea what he she is talking about!! Think about what you have just said, "you have to be in the top 5% to get into a residency"!! Where do you think the other 95% go. I am going thru the match this year. Our grads (all of them) get into GREAT programs in TX and around the country. I think around 80% of our folks stay in TX, at places like Scott and White, Parkland, Dallas Methodist, JPS, UTMB, etc. If your applying for programs like Ortho or Optho, yea, all they take from anywhere is the top 10%. If you look at the list of where TCOM places our graduates (it's online somewhere), you'll see that our school does very well. I suspect that residency selection committees would welcome a real GPA and grades, rather than some bogus Pass/Fail or A, B, C.... I've had three interviews so far, and I have to tell you, the folks I interviewed with all have great things to say about my school.
TCOM200901

Any hope for OOS'ers at this point...its getting pretty late, and no word from them at all yet?

Speaking of OOS notices, the Oct 15th date passed for OOS notices...anyone get the good news?

I hope this doesn't discourage people who are still waiting but I was curious for anyone who might've heard from them on the 15th.

Does anyone know what percentage of individuals are accepted post-interview for OOS applicants?

Whoops, nevermind, I found it.

Wow no OOS notices?

Is everyone here applying straight osteopathic? Any allopathic applicants as well?

Any hope for OOS'ers at this point...its getting pretty late, and no word from them at all yet?

Don't give up, I know someone that received an interview invitation recently.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can still submit a DO recommendation letter to TCOM? I've been shadowing one for a couple of months and he just today said that he would be happy to write a letter for me on Monday. I thought that maybe since the 10-15 secondary application deadline had passed that it might be too late? :(

I would just go ahead and submit it, it can't hurt.

Yeah, definitely send it ASAP. It might give them a good reason to look over your app again and consider you. There's still time.

Status
Not open for further replies.