I posted this on the PItt thread in response to the "moral dilemma" thread, but thought it might be helpful here:
"But really, we've all had moral dilema's growing up I think. The essay I wrote for Pitt (and I ended up with an acceptance there, so it couldn't have been too bad) was about when I was in high school and hung out with the really artsy crowd, took part in the school's new LGBT, and dressed very oddly (I kind of looked like a goth hipster, haha). Anyways, I went to a really conservative highschool, and got a lot of crap for the way I dressed, from both teachers and students because I was kind of an oddball. I didn't particularly care. I had the conviction that my taste in eccentric clothing was not at all a reflection of my intellectual capabilities or the quality of my ethical character, and I had a right to dress how I wanted. And I liked having pink hair.
But come senior year, I got a lot of pressure from friends and counselors to get a makeover, because they said that my eccentric dress code might affect the quality of my LORs from some of my teachers. So my ethical dilemma was where to draw the line between being myself, and "playing the game". Was I being stubborn and unreasonable for liking to die my hair funny colors? Or was I just proudly exercising my right to self expression? Should I change my appearance to conform with what was expected of someone pursuing my path, was that just being smart or was that giving in to peer pressure?
Anyways, that was my anecodote, and it's not that dramatic, lol. I think all of us, in the process of growing up, has our morals and ethics challenged by others, or just come to realize that "life's not fair" and we have to adjust to reality and make a decision about how to deal with it.
But if you're having trouble thinking of something, try reflecting on any time you maybe had to make a tough decision, or made a decision knowing that there would be repercussions. Why did you end up doing what you did? Is there anything you're particularly proud of, or wish you hadn't done? Have you ever had to defend your actions or fight for action to be taken? Really, you can argue two sides for almost any decisions you make in your life. For example, I'm sure we've all lied to or disobeyed our parents/authority at some point, that's a moral decision right there. I think the adcom just wants to see how your ethical reasoning skills are, what you can take away from your experiences, and if you can see the big picture in your actions. I don't think they're looking for you to demonstrate you're a hero or anything.
Hope my example helped, hehe. Good luck guys! Pitt's a great school!"