Writing about experiences from Highschool in Adversity Secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Penguin.921

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's the specific secondary prompt, but I'm aware that this is a topic that is shared among many medical school secondaries:

"Beyond academics (grades and MCATs), describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to address this challenge."

I'm considering writing about an experience from high school because it was both more unique and more impactful than any challenge I've faced during college. However, I've often heard that it's generally better to focus on undergraduate experiences when answering secondary prompts. Specifically, it would be about moving overseas with my family after my mother lost her job partway through highschool. I had to spend a year out of formal school learning to read and write Chinese, adapt to a new educational system and culture as the only foreigner in my class, and eventually navigate the U.S. college application process largely on my own as the only student at my school applying to American universities. I also just generally have experience moving every three to four years throughout my life (four different states and two countries).

Is this simply too old/not relevant? I feel like my other challenges since then aren't that impactful (i.e. having to restart experiments in my research lab due to cells dying, working as a CNA at an assisted living facility and adjusting to the physicality of the job).

Thank you!
 
Totally agree with @GoSpursGo. Being a kid who bounced around a lot builds resilience and flexibility which are valuable life skills. Being the only student at your school applying to US colleges also required a certain amount of self-sufficiency rather than being herded through the process as one of dozens (or hundreds) of college bound seniors in a typical suburban HS.