What should I be doing NOW?

Caesar

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When talking with high school students, one of the most common questions I get asked is, "What should I be doing now?" With professional schools being as competitive as they are, there are a few things you can be doing right now to help you along the way. With the help of Depakote and HumidBeing, I have assembled this, the official "What should I be doing NOW?" Thread.
--------------

The List:

◊ Focus and get the grades: The most important thing you can be doing now is preparing for college. Concentrate efforts on your academic performance. If your school offers AP classes, TAKE THEM. These classes will best prepare you for college. However, do not feel compelled to take every last one of them. You should attempt to maintain a high GPA (at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale). Take the classes that interest you most, and not the ones you think will help most later. Chances are they won't help later, anyway. Your focus should be on getting into a good college. Whether it is Ivy League, or a state school, the better your performance, the more competitive you are for admissions and scholarships.

◊ Volunteer: Volunteering is key. Yes, volunteering helps you get into colleges and get scholarships, but it also does much more than that. Volunteers are important
assets to all communities, including the medical community. At this point you don't need to be volunteering at a hospital, or trekking off on foreign medical missions. What is important is setting aside your time to do something for others. Volunteer activities done while you are in college will make a big difference in the strength of your application to professional schools later. Volunteering in high school will give you a leg up, because it will help you become comfortable with that type of activity. Your high school volunteering will also benefit you in developing social skills, self-confidence, and responsibility. Besides that, volunteer service is your chance to give back to your community and know that YOU made a difference. That’s a great feeling, and the best reason of all to volunteer.

◊ Shadow:
One question I promise you will be asked 20 million times as a Pre-med is, "Why medicine?" The answer is not, "to help people". The sooner you can answer this question on a personal level, the more confident you will feel about your decision. The best way to know if medicine is for you is to follow around a doctor. Ask your primary care doctor if you may shadow him or her sometime. Most physicians are more than happy to allow students who are interested in medicine to come in and shadow them. Do not be afraid to ask questions. The physician knows that the path to an MD or DO is long and hard, and would advise you to find out as much as you can. Try your hardest to shadow at least a little bit to be sure that this is what you want to do. So often people feel that medicine is just like Scrubs or House, and as you will see, it is not. Shadow. Shadow. Shadow. This is especially true if applying to BS/MD programs.

◊ Extra Curriculars: Medical schools and colleges look for well-rounded people. Your future classmates will appreciate you much more if you have a unique story to tell, as well as sharing some common ground. Find a sport, club, or hobby that you love, and get involved with it. If playing music is your thing, by all means do that. Maybe you like chess? I am told chess clubs are a real thing. I'm fairly certain every US school has a sport of some kind. So, if that is what you enjoy, then do it! Maybe you like to work to have some extra money to spend on the weekends; do that! Become confident in what you do, and develop your leadership skills. Get involved with something!

◊ READ and RESEARCH: The fact that you are on this site, and reading this thread, is a huge step in the right direction. As mentioned before, the decision to enter medicine is a big one, one that requires a lot of time, energy, and emotion. Read about the field, and make an informed decision about entering it. Ask doctors if they like their jobs; read news articles about healthcare. If you are really motivated, pop open a copy of the “New England Journal of Medicine” (but prepare to be bored stiff). Read around on SDN. Read the Pre-Medical forums to see what current undergrads have to say (but take it with a huge grain of salt). Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it certainly won't harm the future Pre-Med!

◊ Take Baby Steps: At this point in the game it is unlikely that any High school student can make a final decision on the rest of their life. I know 25 year old college students who still haven't done that, and it is completely normal. Many students don't enter medical school until well after they have graduated college (some with degrees in completely unrelated fields). While it is always important to be informed it is also important to keep your mind and options open. Step one is getting into a college where you feel you will succeed. Most of your attention should be devoted to that. You should explore beyond step one, but don't focus on it. There is nothing worse than being overwhelmed (and it is an overwhelming process). Take small steps and you will thank yourself later for it.

◊ Have fun: Seriously, enjoy life now and don't let it consume you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Very helpful, Thank you.

Thanks for this post! I never realized how helpful voluteering could be in getting ready for college.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this stage, if you have to ask yourself "How will this volunteering help me get into college??" then you probably shouldn't do it. If you can help coach a sport you like, or work in a program through your local church/school/whatever doing fun activities, tutoring, sports, music, etc., then do that. My younger brother helps out at a boy's program that he was in when he was younger, and he does it at an inner city church. I know he's not doing it for any special recognition, because Lord knows the Marines don't care :laugh:

Also, these are great suggestions, but seriously, DON'T freak out if you're not doing all of them, or even any of them.

Thanks. I volunteer for my local church and I am going to start volunteering for a hospital soon. Also in my school there is this job shadow program where you sign up for a career you want to shadow and the school arranges it (I put doctor of course). I am also going to do a couple of individual job shadows including one with our family physician and is good friends of the family (Polak like us and actually went to med school in Poznan and did a residency here:cool:). I am also applying for Governor's School for health care so we will see what happens there. The application process consists of writing an essay proposing a project addressing a health care issue in your community. But thanks for the advice!!!

BTW
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!!!!
LIVERPOOL FC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this stage, if you have to ask yourself "How will this volunteering help me get into college??" then you probably shouldn't do it. If you can help coach a sport you like, or work in a program through your local church/school/whatever doing fun activities, tutoring, sports, music, etc., then do that. My younger brother helps out at a boy's program that he was in when he was younger, and he does it at an inner city church. I know he's not doing it for any special recognition, because Lord knows the Marines don't care :laugh:

Also, these are great suggestions, but seriously, DON'T freak out if you're not doing all of them, or even any of them.

Shadowing looks better for college apps, but so does volunteering. Another thing worth looking into are volunteer positions with special needs children, I am thinking of working at a spec. needs camp next summer, should be good.

I'll admit when I first started volunteering at the medical center, I was truly doing it just for college. Then I realized "Wow, I actually like doing this". I liked doing it all along. Do not do it just for the app, seriously, you'll get 20 hours done and want to throw in the towel.

I could be very wrong but I am assuming that some kinds of volunteer work are better than others. For example, working with special needs kids (to me at least) is more rewarding, fun, and looks stellar on college apps than, say, working in a soup kitchen doing nothing, or something else.

I could be very wrong but I am assuming that some kinds of volunteer work are better than others. For example, working with special needs kids (to me at least) is more rewarding, fun, and looks stellar on college apps than, say, working in a soup kitchen doing nothing, or something else.

What prompts you to say that?

I'd argue that it's rather cliche to volunteer with kids in any capacity- it's the first thing lots of people think of, as they are a vulnerable population and there's little stigma attached. I'd be significantly more impressed by someone who committed to working with a population that typically garners much less sympathy than kids- a soup kitchen being a prime example. Many of the adults who visit them are ostracized by society due to mental illness, indigence, substance abuse, domestic violence, criminal records, or any combination of the above. There's a hell of a lot to learn from working with people who have suffered as they have- everyone has a story, and it's in hearing those stories that we learn to stereotype less and be less judgmental. THAT'S an education many people never take the time to learn.

What prompts you to say that?

I'd argue that it's rather cliche to volunteer with kids in any capacity- it's the first thing lots of people think of, as they are a vulnerable population and there's little stigma attached. I'd be significantly more impressed by someone who committed to working with a population that typically garners much less sympathy than kids- a soup kitchen being a prime example. Many of the adults who visit them are ostracized by society due to mental illness, indigence, substance abuse, domestic violence, criminal records, or any combination of the above. There's a hell of a lot to learn from working with people who have suffered as they have- everyone has a story, and it's in hearing those stories that we learn to stereotype less and be less judgmental. THAT'S an education many people never take the time to learn.
Gee, you don't see any of those folks in your average hospital ER.
<insert sarcasm here>

I suggest sticky-ness.

*big eyes*

Haha, what I meant to say is that eh... it's a good thing this thread already is sticky, because it's really informational and, erm, stuff.

You totally didn't know that Scull :p.

if you are in high school you should be enjoying yourself!!!!

Take it easy and relax before you start college. Of course get good grades and take your entrance exams ect... but don't forget to enjoy the time you have left before college.

You do not need AP classes or any of that.

Enjoy yourself because once you start the pre-med track (especially if you take it seriously and stick with it) you will value the free time and relaxed high school years.

You are only in high school and young once!

oh and also....

What you do in high school does not matter in reference to getting into medical school. All that matters is how you do in college.

haha be a slacker or whatever just make sure you buckle down and hit those books in college. you can have fun in college too but you will learn how to do both.

Thanks so much - that was really helpful.
So does in-school volunteering (leadership club and such) help out a lot too, or is out of school volunteering better?

Thanks so much - that was really helpful.
So does in-school volunteering (leadership club and such) help out a lot too, or is out of school volunteering better?

My 2 cents:

Volunteering is volunteering doesn't matter if you do it through a school organization or not.

However, holding a leadership position in the organization you're volunteering with looks good. And that is probably easier to do in your school organization than in an extramural one.

If a patient is dying on the street, do not rescue him unless he is rich or famous. It does not count as volunteering hours and it's a waste of time. :p

Great little introductory guide. I've been researching this stuff for 6 years and never once thought about asking my own doctor if I could shadow them. :p God I'm an idiot.

Thanks for this.

Bumped a 4 year old thread... smh man.