SHOULD I GO TO MED SCHOOL

ans28

Reaction score
From a country where med school is right after high school. Love the work a doctor does. Was a childhood dream. Love studying science. But looking at current state of medicine makes me reconsider. Young doctors I have talked to and went to med school bcz they LOVED medicine now regretting bcz of time strain, stress, low reimbursement, jobs available only in rural area. They really loved the study matter and their job but circumstance wise if they could turn back time would not do it again. They said they would study commerce, get a 9-5 job, low salary doesnt matter, would live while seeing their faces and enjoying holidays and not being constantly burnout. They said even though they loved medicine, real life medicine is a nightmare where cons far outweigh the pros in the country and anyone who does medicine in present conditions would be either from a family of doctors or would regret it.

I never really thought abt it but i spent all my teenage years studying for my 10th and 12th due to parents' expectations. And if med school and residency is gonna keep me busy........ will i never get to live a watches movies in daylight, finishes a 16 episode drama in 1 day, goes to concert, goes to vacation stage of my life......really makes me sad and wonder if it is worth it. Could not have fun so far bcz of strict parents but will rest of my life be same due to lack of time...........

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's really tough in your spot to challenge your parents' expectations. They are well-intentioned and want your life to avoid as much as the struggles they have had to endure. That said, it is going to be your life, and you need to make sure early that this is something you really want to do. And it sounds like having fun is more important than finding a job to pay for it.

It is difficult being so young and having to decide what you want to do with your life, but it would be wise for you to talk with and observe physicians in your area to see what they do and if the education is worth it. The life of a doctor comes with a sacrifice because you ultimately have to remember your life is dedicated to making sure others can enjoy the movies and shows that you can't because you are busy being present when someone is in pain.

If you are talented with maths and science, give it a go... maybe you find you are more interested in being a researcher or professor than a doctor. Only you can travel that road until you find out how well you overcome struggles and challenges: do you push forward or do you give up?

If you would rather do commerce, find out whether that life is really worth it. There is also high turnover as businesses reorganize all the time. It may be worth your time to ask someone as old as your parents how a life in commerce is like. You may be surprised to find out it's not as joyful as your peers make it out to be.

Reactions: 2 users