*Official* USC (Southern California) Post Bac w/ Spring Admission!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baap

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm about to apply for Spring Admission at USC for the post bac and wanted to hear about the quality of their program and the support staff.

The one downer is that it does not have any official linkages - tho I haven't checked if they are in the process of developing some new ones.

Members don't see this ad.

USC doesn't have any linkages, but a lot of the students in the program wind up at USC. You may want to note that a lot of people in this program take two years to finish, though.

USC doesn't have any linkages, but a lot of the students in the program wind up at USC. You may want to note that a lot of people in this program take two years to finish, though.

I am actually more interested in the state schools in CA because the high quality and lower tuition for in-state gives great value, IMO.

I am getting the impression that, besides UC Berkley extension, all of the CA post-bacs are strong programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://media.www.dailytrojan.com/me....Students.Reason.To.Smile-3045713-page2.shtml

The new curriculum focuses more learning from case studies, gives students USMLE-type exams and gives students more opportunities to study course material.

Under the old curriculum, students spent 34 hours per week in the classroom. Students now spend only 24 hours of their week in the classroom and the other 10 studying in organized groups.

Students say the new curriculum prepares them better for tests such as USMLE.

Does anyone have any first-hand information about this cirriculum?

I am actually more interested in the state schools in CA because the high quality and lower tuition for in-state gives great value, IMO.

I am getting the impression that, besides UC Berkley extension, all of the CA post-bacs are strong programs.

The UC postbacs are primarily for URM/disadvantaged students that are CA residents... do you have CA residency?

Hi all,

I applied to the USC post-bac for this spring too (I'll probably defer my start until the fall for financial reasons though, if I get in), and I've been asked in for an interview, so I'd also like to hear more about the quality of the program from people who went through it, is it worth the 3 year wait (2 years plus glide year) and the tuition cost? (I'm also applying to scripps, mills, goucher, jhu, bryn mawr, and bennington, and there seems to be a lot of info on the boards about these programs, but not much about USC). Also, what is the interview process like? (I'll be doing a phone interview) Will there be many people asking me questions, or just one? What kinds of questions do they ask?

thanks

Hi all,

I applied to the USC post-bac for this spring too (I'll probably defer my start until the fall for financial reasons though, if I get in), and I've been asked in for an interview, so I'd also like to hear more about the quality of the program from people who went through it, is it worth the 3 year wait (2 years plus glide year) and the tuition cost? (I'm also applying to scripps, mills, goucher, jhu, bryn mawr, and bennington, and there seems to be a lot of info on the boards about these programs, but not much about USC). Also, what is the interview process like? (I'll be doing a phone interview) Will there be many people asking me questions, or just one? What kinds of questions do they ask?

thanks

Postbac interviews are like med school interviewers but in many cases harder. You'll probably only have one interviewer. As far as the quality of the program, it's not as good as scripps, goucher, jhu, or BM, and probably not as good as mills. I don't know much about the Bennington program.

Doing two years of postbac is actually a really good idea for non-science folks, IMO at least. Some people might disagree, but a quick look at the non-science majors in my school doing genetics, biochem, cell biology, immunology, and biostats at the same time and seeing the material for the first time and their reactions to that...

A lot of people that finish the USC postbac program end up going to USC, so if that is something that matters to you, you might like it. Then again, 1/3 of Scripps grads in the past two years are attending USC after doing a single year.

Did you end up going to USC's program for Spring? I just got in for USC's post-bac for the Fall 2009 and I am seriously considering it, and was hoping there was someone who could give me some advice about what it's like!

Hello All,

I'm about to apply for Spring Admission at USC for the post bac and wanted to hear about the quality of their program and the support staff.

The one downer is that it does not have any official linkages - tho I haven't checked if they are in the process of developing some new ones.

I recently completed the USC post-bacc program and am currently interviewing at med schools. Here are some of my thoughts:

1) This program is for career changers. I believe it looks better to adcoms than trying to pick up your pre-reqs piecemeal because USC is known to be a competitive environment. If you can do well here, competing against undergraduate pre-meds, it's a good indication of your academic fortitude.

2) I felt the curriculum adequately prepared me for the MCAT. I'm not sure if it's still happening, but as part of your tuition, they reimburse you up to a certain amount for your MCAT prep course. Most of my class attended the Kaplan class that was held on campus at the dental school.

3) The support system is excellent. It is set up to help you succeed. Dr. Singer takes great pride in this program, and he is extremely accessible. The administration in general has been great. I compare this to my undergrad UC experience where I felt like a sheep.

4) As you all probably know, your extracurriculars are vital to your med school applications. USC makes every effort to provide you with access to lots of volunteer opportunities. Hospitals LOVE post-baccs because of our age and maturity.

5) I can't speak for every other class that completed the program, but I'm older and didn't go in expecting to make such great friends. Having a support system/study group made the whole process so much more bearable. It's nice to have a group of older career-changing peers who can relate to what you are going through. I have to say that I did hear of another class in the program that had an unusually large group of petty, competitive types. I hope this is not the norm.

6) Most of us do take 2 years plus the glide (application year) to complete the program. It's possible to do it in less time, but if you are a career-changer, I'm not sure how you would be able to fit 4 semesters of chemistry (that cannot be taken concurrently) and an MCAT (which should be taken after completing AT LEAST O-chem A) in less than a year and a half.

I went into the process with an extremely unimpressive undergraduate GPA, knowing I needed to do extremely well (read as close to a 4.0 as possible), and score a +32 on my MCAT to be competitive. I felt that USC gave me every opportunity to do so, provided me with great LORs and a wonderful group of supportive friends.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. I know that the cost is prohibitive to most, and I know people who have been successful taking their pre-reqs through UCLA extension, but if you're looking for a structured program, I recommend USC.

6) Most of us do take 2 years plus the glide (application year) to complete the program. It's possible to do it in less time, but if you are a career-changer, I'm not sure how you would be able to fit 4 semesters of chemistry (that cannot be taken concurrently) and an MCAT (which should be taken after completing AT LEAST O-chem A) in less than a year and a half.

Scripps and some of the other formal postbac programs do two semesters of gchem in the summer, then two semesters of ochem, with the MCAT taken during the 2nd semester. It seemed to work fine for everyone in the program.

I am interested in the USC program. I have a ba is sociology 3.4 plus some change overall. I have worked as a caregiver for a year and worked in a hospital (ortho floor) for almost two years, and am now getting my emt. Do you think my stats are competitive enough for usc? Thanks for the help:)

What was your undergrad background and what was your gpa?

If anyone is reading this thread, what was your experience with USC application? I am going to be applying for the fall 2012 semester. I graduated with an Accounting degree. I had a 3.69 GPA, honors, and I am currently working full time and volunteering in the emergency department of a hospital. If anyone is willing to look at my personal statement, I would greatly appreciate it.

Brandon-