Just Curious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about being a pharmacist or anything like that but I am just wondering why some people would want to be a pharmacist instead of a Pharmaceucial sales rep? Sales reps can make 60k+ commission and they don't have to go to any professions schools and they don't have to worry about educational debts.
Pharmacist make about 100K a year but they have lots of student loans to pay for plus they have to go thru four years of schooling.
So why not be a sales rep instead? Is it b/c its very hard to get a sales position?

Members don't see this ad.

lol...why ask this question then? you are pre-dental...you will have loans to pay off too...why don't you go become a sales rep then? :)

lol...why ask this question then? you are pre-dental...you will have loans to pay off too...why don't you go become a sales rep then? :)

LOL...I was pre dental. I don't want to be a dentist anymore and I just want people to list some of the pros and cons of being a sales rep vs. pharmacist. Both jobs are great but I am leaning towards sales rep b/c there are no loans and no more schooling.
I just hope I can get hired....

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL...I was pre dental. I don't want to be a dentist anymore and I just want people to list some of the pros and cons of being a sales rep vs. pharmacist. Both jobs are great but I am leaning towards sales rep b/c there are no loans and no more schooling.

How about you figure it out for yourself. Obviously you were able to figure out dentistry wasn't for you...so you should have the ability to ascertain what field is more appropriate for yourself. The rest of us however, are going to continue along the road to a Pharm. D.

I don't know much about being a pharmacist or anything like that but I am just wondering why some people would want to be a pharmacist instead of a Pharmaceucial sales rep? Sales reps can make 60k+ commission and they don't have to go to any professions schools and they don't have to worry about educational debts.
Pharmacist make about 100K a year but they have lots of student loans to pay for plus they have to go thru four years of schooling.
So why not be a sales rep instead? Is it b/c its very hard to get a sales position?

This is probably too personal a question, but what made you figure out you don't want to be a dentist, especially after being accepted to all those Ivy Leagues??
I can really respect that, truly enjoying your career is so important.

This is probably too personal a question, but what made you figure out you don't want to be a dentist, especially after being accepted to all those Ivy Leagues??
I can really respect that, truly enjoying your career is so important.

Well, I never like general dentistry at all. I only wanted Ortho, but the field is extremely competitive. I cannot risk the chance of not getting to Ortho and getting stuck doing general dentistry and being in debt 300K. I will be extremely miserable working as a GP for sure. Plus even if I get into Ortho I am not sure if I want all the stress of managing my own practice PLUS MORE debt (practices are expensive). I never had a passion for dentistry and want a career I actually like. I know dentistry makes alot of money and I know everyone thinks I am crazy for dropping out of an ivy league school etc etc. but I just do not like dentistry and the thought of putting my hands in someone else's nasty mouth is just not me.
I don't know much about pharmacy but I was always considering either dentistry or pharmacy. I only picked dentistry and applied to dental school b/c dentist make more money. If a dentist and a pharmacist make the same amount of money then I would have applied to pharmacy school over dental school EASILY! (too bad I wasted all that time and money on dentistry :() Now I just want a job I actually LIKE. So I am going to consider pharmacy. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but the ONLY reason why I ask about sales reps was b/c they do not have to go to any professional schools and they don't have to take on any kind of debt. I mainly want information about being a sales rep. Anyone ever done it and thought it was nice? or bad? Any feedbacks?

Does a pharmacist usually have a lot of loans when they get out of school? (I know a dentist does which sucks) If you work for CVS or Walgreens etc do you get loan forgiveness? I have heard someone say that CVS will pay off your loans if you work for them for a number of years...is that true?

Also last question. Are the schools that do not require PCATs a lot harder to get into then the ones that do? I am thinking about applying to the ones that don't require PCATs so I don't have to spend 1500 dollars taking the Kaplan course and studying for the exam etc etc.

Thank you all for your help. :)

Last edited:
I have a 3.85 science gpa and a 3.84 overall gpa. I have a degree in chemistry. Is that competitive enough for UCSF or any of the CA schools? Should I apply now and see? If those schools don't require PCATs, do they pick their applicants soley on GPAs?

the pcat and non-pcat schools are probably about equal in difficulty to get in. it also depends on where you apply. if you apply for a california school, its going to be hard (or based upon what everyone says on this site; from what i've read, you have to pretty much sell your soul to get in or something :). since you got into some ivy league dental schools, your grades should be pretty awesome (you should apply mainly to non-pcat schools unless you want to attend a specific university that requires the pcat). you can use the search thread or just scroll down the main page of this pre-pharm thing and you'll find like 5 different threads requesting info on non-pcat/non-pharmcas schools.

most schools are within the range 35-55k a year (depending on state residency and a bunch of other stuff). so you'll be in debt, unless you're super rich and can pay for it all. the thing about the loans and working at one of those stores is something i've also heard (not from a pharmacist, but from a friend), but I've checked some websites and talked to some people and i'm still unsure about it.

hopefully, you decide to shadow or volunteer at a pharmacy so you can know if this is what you really want. you don't want to be in pharm school and be like 'dammit, i shoulda went to dental school'. i hope that you do your research and be sure that this is what you want.

the pcat and non-pcat schools are probably about equal in difficulty to get in. it also depends on where you apply. if you apply for a california school, its going to be hard (or based upon what everyone says on this site; from what i've read, you have to pretty much sell your soul to get in or something :). since you got into some ivy league dental schools, your grades should be pretty awesome (you should apply mainly to non-pcat schools unless you want to attend a specific university that requires the pcat). you can use the search thread or just scroll down the main page of this pre-pharm thing and you'll find like 5 different threads requesting info on non-pcat/non-pharmcas schools.

most schools are within the range 35-55k a year (depending on state residency and a bunch of other stuff). so you'll be in debt, unless you're super rich and can pay for it all. the thing about the loans and working at one of those stores is something i've also heard (not from a pharmacist, but from a friend), but I've checked some websites and talked to some people and i'm still unsure about it.

hopefully, you decide to shadow or volunteer at a pharmacy so you can know if this is what you really want. you don't want to be in pharm school and be like 'dammit, i shoulda went to dental school'. i hope that you do your research and be sure that this is what you want.

Thank you for your help. :D I have no shadowing or volunteer hours at a pharmacy yet...however I look up the deadline for UCSF and its Nov 3 so I still have time. My question is... is it too late to apply to pharmacy school now?? Should I apply NOW or wait till next year?? If I apply to pharmacy school now what are my chances of getting in? (I know its near impossible to get into dental school unless you apply SUPER EARLY, but I am not sure how pharmacy school application process works....) Are pharmacy schools still interviewing for Fall 2009? Sorry for all these questions but I really need help.

Lastly I really want UNC b/c its my state school and its super cheap, HOWEVER if working at CVS or Walgreens pays back all my loans then I don't care where I go. :D But I guess I will have to look into that more.

oh and I will never want to do dentistry or MD or any kind of career that involves blood or touching patients or anything gross. haha...I have a weak stomach.

Thanks!

trust me, dont waste your money on kaplan. my first time taking PCATs i got 83%, and i had no test prep classes. just some practice tests and flash cards

Um, the deadline is November 1st actually (I just looked it up) AND you need the pcat for UNC-Eschelman school of pharmacy. you also need to do the pharmcas application.

http://www.pharmacy.unc.edu/admissions/pharmd/faq

so if you really want to go there, you should wait until next year to apply. pharmcas is going to take a while to do, your transcripts being sent there will take time to be processed, and when all of it is sent out it will be a while (you'll make the deadline, though if you do it asap). you'll have to sign up for the pcat which will probalby be in a few months (you kinda want to prepare for it somehow, whether you study on your own or on a kaplan program).

so if i were you (and i'm not) i would just create a pharmcas account (to see what you have to fill out and how much space for your personal statement), get letters of rec ready (since you'll have to get your professors to change it from dentistry to pharmacy on the letters), get ready for the pcat some time early 2009, look up all requirements for schools of interest that you need, and try to get some type of pharmacy experience (i think i read on someone's thread that some of their classmates dont' have experience, but it won't hurt to get some experience).

Um, the deadline is November 1st actually (I just looked it up) AND you need the pcat for UNC-Eschelman school of pharmacy. you also need to do the pharmcas application.

http://www.pharmacy.unc.edu/admissions/pharmd/faq

so if you really want to go there, you should wait until next year to apply. pharmcas is going to take a while to do, your transcripts being sent there will take time to be processed, and when all of it is sent out it will be a while (you'll make the deadline, though if you do it asap). you'll have to sign up for the pcat which will probalby be in a few months (you kinda want to prepare for it somehow, whether you study on your own or on a kaplan program).

so if i were you (and i'm not) i would just create a pharmcas account (to see what you have to fill out and how much space for your personal statement), get letters of rec ready (since you'll have to get your professors to change it from dentistry to pharmacy on the letters), get ready for the pcat some time early 2009, look up all requirements for schools of interest that you need, and try to get some type of pharmacy experience (i think i read on someone's thread that some of their classmates dont' have experience, but it won't hurt to get some experience).

If I apply this year its most likely going to be for schools that don't require PCATS only. I will most likely apply to the easier to get into schools...what is the deadline for the pharmcas account? I will apply to the schools with supplemental deadlines at Dec and Jan.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I apply this year its most likely going to be for schools that don't require PCATS only. I will most likely apply to the easier to get into schools...what is the deadline for the pharmcas account? I will apply to the schools with supplemental deadlines at Dec and Jan.

hmmmm...so what i think is...since you have to write a personal statement for pharmCAS is to think of why you want to be a pharmacist...reallly really hard...

and by the way, you need to have letters of recommendations too...so you better ask tomorrow (through email)...

though you have a high GPA, pharm schools are going to be looking into why you want to become a pharmacist, and as i said earlier...make sure you know why...

i am so surprised at how you got into dental...just because it paid more? lol...its almost like, you solely got into school on grades and your ECs, voluteering, everything besides academics didn't reflect you...

and here i am...praying to god(s) that i get in, hoping my academics, ecs, lors are good enough haha....

oh yea...and, if you do get an interview, prepare to explain your previous past~

hmmmm...so what i think is...since you have to write a personal statement for pharmCAS is to think of why you want to be a pharmacist...reallly really hard...

and by the way, you need to have letters of recommendations too...so you better ask tomorrow (through email)...

though you have a high GPA, pharm schools are going to be looking into why you want to become a pharmacist, and as i said earlier...make sure you know why...

i am so surprised at how you got into dental...just because it paid more? lol...its almost like, you solely got into school on grades and your ECs, voluteering, everything besides academics didn't reflect you...

and here i am...praying to god(s) that i get in, hoping my academics, ecs, lors are good enough haha....

oh yea...and, if you do get an interview, prepare to explain your previous past~

I didn't have much vounteering hours either....I did well on the DAT though. I have always wanted either dental or pharmacy but choose to apply to dental b/c dentist makes more money so yes in a way I made a bad choice.

Why do I want to be a pharmacist? 1) no blood 2) Do not have to touch patients 3) stable career (I don't have to worry about being laid off) 4) routine
Good reasons? or bad?

what are your reasons for wanting to become a pharmcist?

I didn't have much vounteering hours either....I did well on the DAT though. I have always wanted either dental or pharmacy but choose to apply to dental b/c dentist makes more money so yes in a way I made a bad choice.

Why do I want to be a pharmacist? 1) no blood 2) Do not have to touch patients 3) stable career (I don't have to worry about being laid off) 4) routine
Good reasons? or bad?

You seem to be such a troll....go back to the dental forum. :thumbdown:

Good reasons? or bad?

wow, all this time, i just wanted to be a pharmacist as the last link between people seeing the doctor and treating themselves at home, and making sure they are properly taking care of themselves. fyi, the pharmacy counter is not a plastic bubble between you and patients.

wow, all this time, i just wanted to be a pharmacist as the last link between people seeing the doctor and treating themselves at home, and making sure they are properly taking care of themselves. fyi, the pharmacy counter is not a plastic bubble between you and patients.

Indeed...the original poster will be a horrible pharmacist with an attitude like that.

to the OP...

If you don't have a passion for what MIGHT be your future career, I suggest you not go into it. Pharmacy, just like dentistry, is not for everyone. Sure these fields offer stability and a nice pay check, but I can assure you that you will not be happy if you do not have passion for your work.

And if you're in it solely for the $$$, then there are other things out there that make much better money. Leave pharmaceutical care for those that truly have the desire to enter this field.

I'd rather by happy and poor, than miserable and rich.
Not trying to preach to you, just saying it like it is... Good luck.

The way I look at it -

Pharm rep - starting salary may be $60k, but there is little job security. There are many unemployed pharm reps out there right now and very little successful ones. There are increasing laws that are making it harder for pharmaceutical companies to wine & dine doctors. Plus, I don't see the work as helping anyone directly.

Also, after reading the pharmacafe.com boards, it seems to me that its not that great of a job.

Pharmacist - respected career with great job security and the ability to directly help others.

Regarding pharmacy school and debt, if you go to a private school, it'll be close to $100k for total tuition. If you go to a state university, it may be under 50k for total tuition.

Most retail jobs offer sign on bonuses. These can be anywhere between $10k - $30k. The jobs that offer tuition reimbursement are usually governement jobs - like the VA and military related - or hospitals. Usually its something like they'll pay some of your tuition ($5k to $15k) per year.

Last edited:
The way I look at it -

Pharm rep - starting salary may be $60k, but there is little job security. There are many unemployed pharm reps out there right now and very little successful ones. There are increasing laws that are making it harder for pharmaceutical companies to wine & dine doctors. Plus, I don't see the work as helping anyone directly.

Also, after reading the pharmacafe.com boards, it seems to me that its not that great of a job.

Pharmacist - respected career with great job security and the ability to directly help others.

Regarding pharmacy school and debt, if you go to a private school, it'll be close to $100k for total tuition. If you go to a state university, it may be under 50k for total tuition.

Most retail jobs offer sign on bonuses. These can be anywhere between $10k - $30k. The jobs that offer tuition reimbursement are usually governement jobs - like the VA and military related - or hospitals. Usually its something like they'll pay some of your tuition ($5k to $15k) per year.

I agree that pharmacist is a lot more secure than pharm rep.

but...

I have a question I need to ask you. How do you find out how much a pharmacy school going to cost per year? Is there a collegeboard.com website for pharmacy school? Any idea how much University of Colorado Pharmacy school going to cost per year?

Thanks....

Last edited:
I've looked at a lot of school's web pages for the information. Here's the link for University of Colorado Pharmacy:

http://www.uchsc.edu/sop/pharmd/7.Admissions/2.Tuition_and_Financial_Aid/

it's $16.5k for colorado residents * 4 years = $66k
and $30k for non-residents * 4 years = $120k

Wow, I wasn't expecting that! I am in state and paid around $2,900 for my first semester of pre-pharm and only taking 3 classes.. I bet it is going to be more next semester when I will probably have to take 6 classes.

So, Thank you for the website!!!

to the OP...

If you don't have a passion for what MIGHT be your future career, I suggest you not go into it. Pharmacy, just like dentistry, is not for everyone. Sure these fields offer stability and a nice pay check, but I can assure you that you will not be happy if you do not have passion for your work.

And if you're in it solely for the $$$, then there are other things out there that make much better money. Leave pharmaceutical care for those that truly have the desire to enter this field.

I'd rather by happy and poor, than miserable and rich.
Not trying to preach to you, just saying it like it is... Good luck.

I really do not know what my passion is. I don't know enough about pharmacy to say why I like it or not. I just want to find a career soon b/c I am not getting any younger and don't want to waste anymore time. And I do like helping people just not in a physical way. I don't mind counseling them or listening to their problems etc. so I am considering either pharmacy or maybe being a therapist would be cool too....not sure yet.

Last edited:
I really do not know what my passion is. I don't know enough about pharmacy to say why I like it or not. I just want to find a career soon b/c I am not getting any younger and don't want to waste anymore time. And I do like helping people just not in a physical way. I don't mind counseling them or listening to their problems etc. so I am considering either pharmacy or maybe being a therapist would be cool too....not sure yet.

I think you should invest some time into figuring out what would make you happy in the long run. Your quick and immediate decisions right now WILL impact your life in the future. Being a pharmacist is much more than counseling and listening. I suggest you shadow/interview different professionals to get a feel for what these careers entail. As for the tuition costs...for myself, I see the tuition costs as an investment, rather than a monthly bill. And if you're 24-25, then youre still just a kid. Don't rush life.

find out what makes you happy in life...don't go through this tough and long process if it won't make you happy......

I think you should invest some time into figuring out what would make you happy in the long run. Your quick and immediate decisions right now WILL impact your life in the future. Being a pharmacist is much more than counseling and listening. I suggest you shadow/interview different professionals to get a feel for what these careers entail. As for the tuition costs...for myself, I see the tuition costs as an investment, rather than a monthly bill. And if you're 24-25, then youre still just a kid. Don't rush life.

I totally agree.

If you are just going in to pharmacy just because it is safe and you don't know what you want then you are just going to end up quitting or just not being happy for the rest of your life.

You really need to shadow a pharmacist and make sure this is what you want to get yourself into.

Take some times to figure what you really want to invest your money on. Trust me, it won't make that much difference when it comes to applying but it will make a major difference in your future.

You are never to old. If you dont know what you want to do take a year off and do some soul searching. Many people start much later. I decided to start college at the age of 21 this year. Like others mentioned do shadowing see if this is really a career you really want to do. This way when you apply next year when they ask you "why do you want to become a pharmacist' you can give a legitimate reason. Their are many great careers out their, health care may not be for you. If you choose a career without knowing what it entails you have along and uncertain road ahead of you. Im not trying to discourage you. I just want you to be well equiped for your future life changing choices. Best of luck to you.

Wait.... SHC1982, You got accepted to Columbia, UPenn, NYU, and Nova,, and your Dropping out of it???? to try to become a pharmacists...???

is this post a joke "I have a gpa of 3.8 can i get into pharmacy school"

gtfoh

I am not going to pretend to know the pay scale/commision for pharm sales reps BUT...

I have worked sales for over 10 years on a commision basis.

It's not a road to go down for the average person. There is good money in any sales position if you are willing to put the time in. You have to really love the "excitement of the sale".

Another aspect you need to consider. I have worked years and have made 60k in commisions and I have worked years and made 20k in commision. You have no idea how wild swings in your yearly earnings like that will effect you, your family, and your own health. A good year is great you feel like you can do no wrong and there is plenty of money in the bank. Bad years are just the opposite. You question your ability, your confidence is shaken, and you end up dipping into money that you have saved. You constantly worry about where the next sale is going to come from. It keeps you up at night and eats at you 24 hours a day when things are slow.

As I mentioned I have no idea of what the salary is for the type of selling you are looking at is but that 60k per year to someone just to "try" and sell the product sounds a bit suspect. Hungry salespeople are motivated salespeople. Salespeople that have already made good money for the week will tend to slack off a bit. (except for the really greedy ones anyway) Thats the reason I seriously doubt many companies saying "Yeah we will pay ou 60k per year and we will even pay you extra if you sell something." I may be wrong though as I've said I haven't looked.

The other aspect of selling is that you will never realize what a cut throat world selling really is until you jump in with both feet.

As a person who went the other route (selling to medical) I would tell you to finish the school and then try the selling if you still think it sounds good. I know for me personally when I get finished with pharm school you won't be able to force me back into selling for anything aside from total catastrophe in the medical world.

For that matter if you really want to find out what selling is all about just pick up the paper and look at all the car dealerships hiring sales people. They will give you a crash course in what it's all about. Some of the best sales people in the world started out pedalling used cars. Of course you need to remember there is a reason they are constantly hiring. For every 1 person that makes a career of commision based selling there are probably 25 that tried it and couldn't stand it.

The best sales people I have ever met all had a few things in common. Uncommon greed, a total focus on selling at the expense of family/friends/everything, and a large amount of selfishness for their own needs at the expense of others.

I used to think the greed thing was just a component of not knowing what the next week would bring. After you get to know them and watch them for a while you realize it's not just wanting to have a nice nest egg for the lean times it's about making as much money as possible and constantly being on the lookout for the next oppurtunity to make money.

At the end of the day it's all about having options in my opinion. Going down the pharm sales road leaves you with one option... Selling.

Continuing on with school gives you the all important peice of paper that says you can do something that not just anybody can do.

Like I said some people get into selling and do fantastic with it. There are many more that either make an average/slightly above average living by working 70 hours per week and killing themselves or fail all together.

Originally Posted by BioKim
is this post a joke "I have a gpa of 3.8 can i get into pharmacy school"

gtfoh

I agree....

I have heard, Nowadays its not all about being smart in school and getting good grades, You also need good Common Sense to succeed in life, a A in Harvard won't get you anywhere if your common sense is too dumb to think for yourself and know what to do in "real life"...

I totally agree.

If you are just going in to pharmacy just because it is safe and you don't know what you want then you are just going to end up quitting or just not being happy for the rest of your life.

You really need to shadow a pharmacist and make sure this is what you want to get yourself into.

Take some times to figure what you really want to invest your money on. Trust me, it won't make that much difference when it comes to applying but it will make a major difference in your future.

I appreciate all the replies and information I am getting. I just turn 24, but I have friends (peers) that are all either in dental school, pharmacy school, law school, or med school...I am the only one "unsure" of what it is that I want to do. I am considering either being a pharmacist or a therapist or maybe even a social worker. I am first going to get a job working as a pharmacy tech and see how much I like it.

I am hoping to get into UCSF pharmacy school, but I heard its very diffcult to get into so thats why I asked if I had a chance. I didn't mean to offend anyone on this thread. If I did I apologize.

Yes, I did get into Penn, Columbia, Nova and NYU. I just dropped out a few days ago and decided to do something else. I just cannot see myself as a dentist.

Thanks for the sales information. I was hoping to work for either patterson dental,dentsply, pfizer, or johnson and johnson. I heard they start out at 60K base salary plus commission but then switch to ONLY commission salary once you get use the business.

I appreciate all the replies and information I am getting. I just turn 24, but I have friends (peers) that are all either in dental school, pharmacy school, law school, or med school...I am the only one "unsure" of what it is that I want to do. I am considering either being a pharmacist or a therapist or maybe even a social worker. I am first going to get a job working as a pharmacy tech and see how much I like it.

I am hoping to get into UCSF pharmacy school, but I heard its very diffcult to get into so thats why I asked if I had a chance. I didn't mean to offend anyone on this thread. If I did I apologize.

Yes, I did get into Penn, Columbia, Nova and NYU. I just dropped out a few days ago and decided to do something else. I just cannot see myself as a dentist.

Thanks for the sales information. I was hoping to work for either patterson dental,dentsply, pfizer, or johnson and johnson. I heard they start out at 60K base salary plus commission but then switch to ONLY commission salary once you get use the business.

One of my family member worked for Johnson and Johnson as a scientist to make Johnson and Johnson products better and she told me their company is a great company to work at.
Sorry if this is annoying, but, ok so you got into Penn, Columbia, Nova and NYU, so which one did you go to?? and which dental school did you drop out of?

One of my family member worked for Johnson and Johnson as a scientist to make Johnson and Johnson products better and she told me their company is a great company to work at.
Sorry if this is annoying, but, ok so you got into Penn, Columbia, Nova and NYU, so which one did you go to?? and which dental school did you drop out of?

I went to Columbia and dropped out of it. I applied for a sales rep job at Johnson and Johnson online, but not sure if they will hired me or not.

I went to Columbia and dropped out of it. I applied for a sales rep job at Johnson and Johnson online, but not sure if they will hired me or not.

Are you trying to become a Advertising Sales agent? Technical and Scientific Product Sales?? or like a Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing???

Are you trying to become a Advertising Sales agent? Technical and Scientific Product Sales?? or like a Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing???

I applied for a territorial sales representative position...so I am guessing Sales Representatives that travels and trys to sell drugs to doctors etc. (However, I don't think I am going to do sales since its not very stable in the long run...) in the meanwhile I am going to work as a pharmacy tech at CVS (haven't gotten the job yet but I called CVS and they say they were hiring...) while applying to pharmacy school at UCSF....LOTS to do I better get busy! :)

I applied for a territorial sales representative position...so I am guessing Sales Representatives that travels and trys to sell drugs to doctors etc. (However, I don't think I am going to do sales since its not very stable in the long run...) in the meanwhile I am going to work as a pharmacy tech at CVS (haven't gotten the job yet but I called CVS and they say they were hiring...) while applying to pharmacy school at UCSF....LOTS to do I better get busy! :)

are you licensed?

Well good luck i hope you like the pharmacy feild. Depending on state and business they may require you to be certified before they will hire you. Many companys will hire you as a pharmacy aid, which means run register, clean up etc. Again good luck and never give up you will find your calling.

I haven't called CVS yet, but Rite Aid (I am in North Carolina) will train me on my job to be a tech. I am not license...the only drawback is my pay will be 8 dollars an hour but that doesn't matter.

I am also wanting to apply for UCSF but the deadline is Nov 1. And I haven't even started applying yet. Is there anyone still applying to pharmacy schools NOW (for entering class fall of 2009) or is it too late in the game now?

It's quite apparent that your main factor is money. With that, you'll have a hard time getting in to any pharmacy school. They will see right through it.

You need to take time to find out what YOU want to do. Money doesn't make a person TRULY happy.

I haven't called CVS yet, but Rite Aid (I am in North Carolina) will train me on my job to be a tech. I am not license...the only drawback is my pay will be 8 dollars an hour but that doesn't matter.

I am also wanting to apply for UCSF but the deadline is Nov 1. And I haven't even started applying yet. Is there anyone still applying to pharmacy schools NOW (for entering class fall of 2009) or is it too late in the game now?

So do you have all your things you need to apply for UCSF? like do you have all your pre-reqs, PCAT scores, letters of recommendation, and etc?

I mean if you do it doesn't hurt just to submit the application. The worst that can happen is you just have to resubmit and reapply.

I was in the same position about 9 months ago. Everyone of my friends were talking about grad school, getting their MBA, pharm/med school and I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. All I knew was that my original chosen field isn't very stable and I wasn't as happy as I hoped to be.

So I looked into Pharmacy and it ended up something I really wanted to do. But the point is, it took a bachelor's degree and a year or so time off to realize i did like medicine and it is something I wanted to do.

Now, I am going to go take all my science pre-reqs again starting this spring semester and basically start all over. But I don't regret "wasting" my time at all with my first bachelor's and taking that year off and working. It actually gave me more motivation in doing Pharmacy and I am finally sure this is what I want to do rather than what i "should" be doing.

So do you have all your things you need to apply for UCSF? like do you have all your pre-reqs, PCAT scores, letters of recommendation, and etc?

I mean if you do it doesn't hurt just to submit the application. The worst that can happen is you just have to resubmit and reapply.

I was in the same position about 9 months ago. Everyone of my friends were talking about grad school, getting their MBA, pharm/med school and I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. All I knew was that my original chosen field isn't very stable and I wasn't as happy as I hoped to be.

So I looked into Pharmacy and it ended up something I really wanted to do. But the point is, it took a bachelor's degree and a year or so time off to realize i did like medicine and it is something I wanted to do.

Now, I am going to go take all my science pre-reqs again starting this spring semester and basically start all over. But I don't regret "wasting" my time at all with my first bachelor's and taking that year off and working. It actually gave me more motivation in doing Pharmacy and I am finally sure this is what I want to do rather than what i "should" be doing.

I am only applying to UCSF b/c they don't require PCATs. My state school is UNC and I prefer them b/c the tuition is much cheaper, but they REQUIRE the PCATs and I haven't even started studying for the PCATs yet (b/c I just dropped out of dental school and didn't even know I was needing to take the PCATs! :laugh:) I have a bachelors degree in Chemistry and I pretty much have all the preq for Pharmacy school. I graduated college in May 2007 took a year off, work at a dental lab and apply to dental school. Got into dental school, decided dentistry wasn't for me and left. Now I am left with nothing to do. I have always considered pharmacy but never actually shadowed one b/c I always thought dental was what I "should" do. I also have an interest in social work or counseling, but the money isn't good there and I will be lying if I say that the money didn't matter at all. (I know thats bad but money does matter to me) So I think Pharmacy is where I will be...

I only feel I wasted time b/c most of my classmates will be graduating from Dental/Med/Pharm school on 2011 (4 years after our graduation from Undergrad) while I am here STILL debating on what I want to do. If I apply now and get in I will be in the class of 2013 (two years behind my friends) and if I apply next year and start in fall 2010 I will be graduating in 2014 (THREE years behind my friends and I will be 30 years old when I graduate!! That really scares me b/c I have always planned my life to be starting a great career at 27-28 and having kids at around 30! ) But I guess you never know what will happend in life! hahaha.... but sometimes I am kinda disappointed in myself....:(

Last edited:
I don't know, after seeing how this thread developed, it kind of irks me.

If you've never worked in a pharmacy before, never had any experience with anything related to pharmacy, why would you want to apply? If you're only going in it for the money, I just don't think you'd be a good pharmacist. If you're not passionate about helping people, why would you want to be in any part of medicine? Get an MBA or something, there is plenty of money in that. Or go to Law School.

These things really bother me. Because on paper, candidates like this seem like they would be excellent pharmacists, just because of high GPAs and high PCAT scores. And it seems like it's so easy for them to get in. And don't get me wrong, there are plenty who do well in school and are passionate about the field, and I can respect that. But those of us whose GPA's are not 3.9, and have experience in the field, and who really want to do pharmacy, and help people, are put at a disadvantage.

Anyways, sorry to rant. I just think that you should find out that this is REALLY what you want to do. Or else you would waste all that time and money applying, get in, and hate pharmacy school. Then you'd be back to square one.
That's just my opinion. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I don't know, after seeing how this thread developed, it kind of irks me.

If you've never worked in a pharmacy before, never had any experience with anything related to pharmacy, why would you want to apply? If you're only going in it for the money, I just don't think you'd be a good pharmacist. If you're not passionate about helping people, why would you want to be in any part of medicine? Get an MBA or something, there is plenty of money in that. Or go to Law School.

These things really bother me. Because on paper, candidates like this seem like they would be excellent pharmacists, just because of high GPAs and high PCAT scores. And it seems like it's so easy for them to get in. And don't get me wrong, there are plenty who do well in school and are passionate about the field, and I can respect that. But those of us whose GPA's are not 3.9, and have experience in the field, and who really want to do pharmacy, and help people, are put at a disadvantage.

Anyways, sorry to rant. I just think that you should find out that this is REALLY what you want to do. Or else you would waste all that time and money applying, get in, and hate pharmacy school. Then you'd be back to square one.
That's just my opinion. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

i totally agree...i have friends with 3.7s and up and are always complaining about getting into a school..and when they finally get in, they realize they don't like the profession or aren't cut out for it...it makes ppl like me...(just avg), who really likes this career path, knows that i'll enjoy doing what i will be doing as a pharmacist...super hard to get into schools...so yea..:(

You really need to think about what is more important to you. Is it money or helping others through health care services; specifically Pharmacy?

Like many have already stated. Money alone won't make a person happy. That's my opinion but this might not be the case for others.

I think what is disturbing to me is you dropped out of dental school and given up an opportunity to become a dentist. Although I understand you don't know what you want in a profession yet, but you just let go of a spot in dental school that could have potentially gone to a student who really really wanted to become a dentist. In addition, if the school does not accept transfer students then the school lost out on thousands of dollars in potential tuition from you.

If you apply to pharmacy school, and get accepted, I hope you won't drop out again.

Find out if pharmacy is what you want to do so you won't repeat dropping out again. :)

Last edited:
You really need to think about what is more important to you. Is it money or helping others through health care services; specifically Pharmacy?

Like many have already stated. Money alone won't make a person happy. That's my opinion but this might not be the case for others.

I think what is disturbing to me is you dropped out of dental school and given up an opportunity to become a dentist. Although I understand you don't know what you want in a profession yet, but you just let go of a spot in dental school that could have potentially gone to a student that really really wanted to become a dentist. In addition, if the school does not accept transfer students then the school lost out on thousands of dollars in potential tuition from you.

If you apply to pharmacy school, and get accepted, I hope you won't drop out again.

Find out if pharmacy is what you want to do so you won't repeat dropping out again. :)

Here is my plan I WILL get a job at a local CVS or rite aid as a pharmacy tech. To get a feel for pharmacy.

I **might** apply to 3-5 NON-PCAT schools this year so I will have an option to attend pharmacy school in the fall of 2009. (thats if its not too late for me to apply now...I have to talk to my health advisor first)

If I find that I do not like the job at CVS or rite aid then I will just withdraw my application...and if I like it then I will go to pharmacy school (if I get accepted) on Fall 2009.

OR should I wait a year and apply next year for fall 2010? the only bad thing about that is if I find that pharmacy is what I love then I will be wasting one year...(graduate 2014 instead of 2013)

what do you think?

Stop worrying about how old you will be when you graduate, or the fact that your friends will graduate years before you. Alot of people on these forums took up pharmacy or medicine as their second or third career choice. They start in late 20s 30s or even 40s or 50s. They are not so much concerned about how old they will be when they graduate they are just happy they found their calling.
You need to do some soul searching otherwise you are at a great risk of wasting years of you life and be left with mountains of student loans. Please Please do not rush into anything because you feel you are running out of time. This is how so many people end up miserable in their lifes.
I belive you should wait until next year to apply, that way you have time to shadow and have plenty of time to volenteer and know for certain this is the field you want to spend your LIFE in.
I feel alot of people are being unfairly harsh in this thread. But you have to remember these people have dedicated alot of time to pursue their passion of pharmacy. They feel like students such as yourself with outstanding credentials with no passion could potentially take their spots in school.
You need to prove them wrong show that you have the same passion as them. All in all good luck i hope you do enjoy pharmacy.

take this from someone who has been looking for a pharmacy job for the past 3 years, just because a pharmacy is hiring, and you applied, doesnt mean you're going to get hired. worse if you are not certified.