Just got an interview to pharmacy school with my DAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cookie_nibbler

Roseman DMD'26
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone, i just received an interview to Midwestern’s University in AZ, pharmacy school. Whats weird is that they took my DAT scores and im a pre-dental major. The admissions team called and said my chem and orgo scores were really high and that i should consider pharmD. Has anyone been in my shoes? Is it a good school?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

When I was a senior in high school, I got tons of recruitment letters from expensive private schools trying to get me to go to their schools, offering early acceptance, no essays, even small scholarships.

Prestigious public schools just sent me a ad, if anything.

If they really want you to apply to their pharmacy school and will take even take your DAT score, do you really think it's in your best interest to give them 62k a year for 3 years?

Reactions: 2 users
Wow.. just wow
These schools are really trying to milk this before it ends and they are working very hard.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools are hustling right now. I would ask for grants and scholarships if your a great applicant.

• Haha
Did you get suggested to apply to pharm school or some pharm school called you and told you that they can schedule an interview?

This is actually quite common. A lot of my friends who took the MCAT, OAT, and DAT that didn't get in to that specific school took them in their pharmacy program. They basically accept you based off a low standardized test score and whatever GPA you applied for.

Reactions: 1 user
Good Morning everyone, i just received an interview to Midwestern’s University in AZ, pharmacy school. Whats weird is that they took my DAT scores and im a pre-dental major. The admissions team called and said my chem and orgo scores were really high and that i should consider pharmD. Has anyone been in my shoes? Is it a good school?

Thank you

If it sounds weird then there is a reason. They are desperate to fill pharmacy seats just like most other pharmacy schools. Do you think a medical or dental school would accept PCAT scores? LoL.

This is actually quite common. A lot of my friends who took the MCAT, OAT, and DAT that didn't get in to that specific school took them in their pharmacy program. They basically accept you based off a low standardized test score and whatever GPA you applied for.
Since when? I am really curious. Maybe like since 2015?
Before 2010, the pharmacy students were still competent and schools had no reason to reach out to students first because there were plenty of applicants for limited seats.

Since when? I am really curious. Maybe like since 2015?
Before 2010, the pharmacy students were still competent and schools had no reason to reach out to students first because there were plenty of applicants for limited seats.
In my area, this just started a year ago or maybe at the beginning of this year (from what I know). I had plenty of classmates who told me that the school accepted them with their MCAT/DAT scores.

I agree. A lot of pharmacy students are being accepted. Before I left pharmacy school, I had a bunch of classmates with 2.6-2.9 GPAs and 30-45 PCAT that got in. They are definitely trying to fill in seats. During orientation, they had couple of students who were pre-med and pre-dental that got in. They're literally taking in anyone at this point. There were people at my interview who I thought would not get in yet they still got accepted. They aren't trolling on the forums. Pharmacy schools are taking anyone with a pulse and can take loans out.

In my area, this just started a year ago or maybe at the beginning of this year (from what I know). I had plenty of classmates who told me that the school accepted them with their MCAT/DAT scores.

I agree. A lot of pharmacy students are being accepted. Before I left pharmacy school, I had a bunch of classmates with 2.6-2.9 GPAs and 30-45 PCAT that got in. They are definitely trying to fill in seats. During orientation, they had couple of students who were pre-med and pre-dental that got in. They're literally taking in anyone at this point. There were people at my interview who I thought would not get in yet they still got accepted. They aren't trolling on the forums. Pharmacy schools are taking anyone with a pulse and can take loans out.
lmao.
I had a friend who got like a 40 composite score on pcat and barely a 3.0cgpa that got into a pharmacy school. However he has a learning disability so I thought his case made sense. Also, the pharmacy school required him to take some specific courses and to get an A in them.
But why did you friends decide to go into pharm school? Why didn't they find this a little suspicious?

lmao.
I had a friend who got like a 40 composite score on pcat and barely a 3.0cgpa that got into a pharmacy school. However he has a learning disability so I thought his case made sense. Also, the pharmacy school required him to take some specific courses and to get an A in them.
But why did you friends decide to go into pharm school? Why didn't they find this a little suspicious?
Most of them didn't want to waste time and get in somewhere. They all said the same thing of "6 figure salary and time". There was one person who had a severe speech impediment who also got in when I was at a school for interviews. He was unable to finish a sentence .I'm not sure how he got in unless pharmacy schools have some sort of accommodation set up for him.

A lot of them were also pressured by their families to get into something that has a doctor and that can make good money. For my female classmates/friends they wanted to start a family early on and make money while working part-time. The guys didn't care and saw it as a easy way instead of taking gap years. They did find it a little suspicious but brushed it off when I asked them. I guess ignorance, in this case, isn't bliss lol.

Most of them didn't want to waste time and get in somewhere. They all said the same thing of "6 figure salary and time". There was one person who had a severe speech impediment who also got in when I was at a school for interviews. He was unable to finish a sentence .I'm not sure how he got in unless pharmacy schools have some sort of accommodation set up for him.

A lot of them were also pressured by their families to get into something that has a doctor and that can make good money. For my female classmates/friends they wanted to start a family early on and make money while working part-time. The guys didn't care and saw it as a easy way instead of taking gap years. They did find it a little suspicious but brushed it off when I asked them. I guess ignorance, in this case, isn't bliss lol.
Holy moly. Well... good luck to them I guess.

If you think it’s too good to be true that a doctorate program is begging you to apply then it probably is.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think it’s too good to be true that a doctorate program is begging you to apply then it probably is.
When I saw this at orientation, I had a really bad feeling about this. Med, dental, and optometry schools wouldn't do this. I asked myself are they really desperate for filling in seats? It really hit me when there were multiple people with low gpas and PCAT scores who got in with students who had 3.5 and above. It didn't make sense.

You hear enough about staying away from pharmacy, but this should be another factor to look at the bigger picture and compare other doctorate programs. Yes, Med, dental and optometry are not easy to get into but at one point pharmacy wasn't either. Food for thought.

People can find jobs very easily if they want to work, granted, you may not get it at most desirable location.

• Haha
People can find jobs very easily if they want to work, granted, you may not get it at most desirable location.

Where are these easy to find jobs? Many unemployed pharmacists out there would like to know.

Did you get suggested to apply to pharm school or some pharm school called you and told you that they can schedule an interview?
Tbh, my scores for the DAT were pretty high in regards to the gen chem and orgo section, 20 and 21 respectively. That put my scores in the 90th percentile for those two sections and my GPA is average. The school reached out to me and told me that my scores "raised eyebrows to the committee and referred my application to the PharmD program". I know this is a huge transition for me, given the fact I graduate with my second degree in dental hygiene. My first degree is bachelor of science with thousands of hours of patient care services.

I really don't know if this field is oversaturated and when I graduate from their school, will it be hard for me to find a job later on?

When I was a senior in high school, I got tons of recruitment letters from expensive private schools trying to get me to go to their schools, offering early acceptance, no essays, even small scholarships.

Prestigious public schools just sent me a ad, if anything.

If they really want you to apply to their pharmacy school and will take even take your DAT score, do you really think it's in your best interest to give them 62k a year for 3 years?
Do you think they would be able to work out a deal in regards to the tuition of school?

Do you think they would be able to work out a deal in regards to the tuition of school?

Even if they give you a 10k a year scholarship you are still in for 50k+ a year.......I think Dentistry may be similarly expensive, but seems to have significantly higher upside (honestly not sure how their job market/careers progress)

Even if they give you a 10k a year scholarship you are still in for 50k+ a year.......I think Dentistry may be similarly expensive, but seems to have significantly higher upside (honestly not sure how their job market/careers progress)
Do you know if UofM or any other schools that accept DAT scores instead of the PCAT scores?

Do you know if UofM or any other schools that accept DAT scores instead of the PCAT scores?

No, this is the first time many of us have even heard of any school taking DAT in place of PCAT.
Don't trick yourself or let yourself get fooled into this career.

Reactions: 1 users
LECOM does this as well. Had a friend who took the DAT and got in with that. I don't think many schools are officially putting it out there and applicants are just getting contacted directly. I'm guessing because they started it this year or it doesn't look good.

Why don't they just remove PCAT/DCAT requirement altogether since it's obvious they can't fill all their seats?

Why don't they just remove PCAT/DCAT requirement altogether since it's obvious they can't fill all their seats?
No need.
The schools can simply ignore them if they want to.

“We decided to eliminate the PCAT requirement because we do not believe it to be an accurate indicator of success in our program.”

Real meaning:

We would rather not accept the PCAT than admit that we are forced to accept applicants with single digit scores since we are having a hard time finding qualified applicants.

The school likely does have some kind of accommodation. Perhaps he would write down what he wants to say or type into a voice synthesizer. Disabled people exist and live their lives. I don't know which speech impediment he has but I suspect stuttering. That can be worsened by stress (like interviewing) and he might be fine in most situations. Honestly, non-jerks can understand "T-take one tablet twice d-daily" just fine. [That example is not meant in jest.]

Thank you
This school "prefers" a 2.5 GPA. How many of the general public would want you anywhere near their deadly medications if they knew your school did not even require a C average grade? Jfc we are an awful profession.

The school likely does have some kind of accommodation. Perhaps he would write down what he wants to say or type into a voice synthesizer. Disabled people exist and live their lives. I don't know which speech impediment he has but I suspect stuttering. That can be worsened by stress (like interviewing) and he might be fine in most situations. Honestly, non-jerks can understand "T-take one tablet twice d-daily" just fine. [That example is not meant in jest.]
I appreciate the clarification. I wasn't aware since nothing was mentioned when I attended. Hopefully I didn't come off as a a-hole.

I appreciate the clarification. I wasn't aware since nothing was mentioned when I attended. Hopefully I didn't come off as a a-hole.
It's fine. It reminded me of someone who went to my school who "couldn't be a pharmacist" because he was unable to stand for long periods. The answer was having a stool to sit upon. Pretty simple. Colleges and large employers tend to have admin people just for accommodations under Federal law.

When I saw this at orientation, I had a really bad feeling about this. Med, dental, and optometry schools wouldn't do this. I asked myself are they really desperate for filling in seats? It really hit me when there were multiple people with low gpas and PCAT scores who got in with students who had 3.5 and above. It didn't make sense.

Pharmacy students don't want to believe that pharmacy schools are literally taking everyone, This is just more evidence of what everyone else already knows.

I really don't know if this field is oversaturated and when I graduate from their school, will it be hard for me to find a job later on?

You must be new here! :rofl: If you want to work in any city (ie population over 50,000), yes, you will have a difficult time for finding a job. For the areas with pouplation <50,000, you can expect to secure a part-time (24 hr/wk) job, that will involve floating if in retail.

Many schools have. The ones that still require it, really only require it on paper, as they will accept people regardless of score.

• Haha
Tbh, my scores for the DAT were pretty high in regards to the gen chem and orgo section, 20 and 21 respectively. That put my scores in the 90th percentile for those two sections and my GPA is average. The school reached out to me and told me that my scores "raised eyebrows to the committee and referred my application to the PharmD program". I know this is a huge transition for me, given the fact I graduate with my second degree in dental hygiene. My first degree is bachelor of science with thousands of hours of patient care services.

Field is very saturated for pharmacy right now... Obviously the program won't tell you that because they need to continue making money. Yes.. Yes it will be very difficult for you to find a job after pharmacy school regardless of how well you do in school. If there aren't any positions opened, you can't simply get a job. Pharmacy programs are the only programs that I know of that have been taking other admission comprehensive tests for a seat. They've been lowering their standards once they realized its getting harder to attract applicants after oversaturating the field.

Reactions: 1 users
Desperate times call for desperate measures....

Field is very saturated for pharmacy right now... Obviously the program won't tell you that because they need to continue making money. Yes.. Yes it will be very difficult for you to find a job after pharmacy school regardless of how well you do in school. If there aren't any positions opened, you can't simply get a job. Pharmacy programs are the only programs that I know of that have been taking other admission comprehensive tests for a seat. They've been lowering their standards once they realized its getting harder to attract applicants after oversaturating the field.
I had someone ask the dean at a interview about saturation. The schools are aware IF you ask. They obviously won't tell you but this student had the balls to ask in front of 15 applicants and the staff.

They pretty much said they are aware and have a MBA to combat other students in the field. Not sure how useful that is. Maybe someone here can confirm. From what I know there are a lot of professionals with an MBA and a lot of pharmacists as well.

Are they going to saturate MBA+Pharmacists in the upcoming years haha

I had someone ask the dean at a interview about saturation. The schools are aware IF you ask. They obviously won't tell you but this student had the balls to ask in front of 15 applicants and the staff.

They pretty much said they are aware and have a MBA to combat other students in the field. Not sure how useful that is. Maybe someone here can confirm. From what I know there are a lot of professionals with an MBA and a lot of pharmacists as well.

Why does it take balls to ask about saturation? At least they acknowledged that it exists. Larry Merlo came to my school 6-7 years ago and someone asked him about it and he straight up lied, told us there are plenty of jobs and not to worry about it.

MBAs are a dime a dozen, more common than law degrees and PharmD.

Lol at MBAs. You mean the program that nearly all schools are offering nowadays with the option to take the classes all online?

• Haha

Thank you

Wow impressive. You are able to find this network, but yet unable to read the pharmacy threads and threads that discuss all the empty seats in pharm schools.

You should apply if you want to be jobless with $230,000 in debt. It is a great gig. Only the dumbest of students are apply to pharm school now/accepting their offers. School are waiving all the requirements and are dying for stupid students.

Wow impressive. You are able to find this network, but yet unable to read the pharmacy threads and threads that discuss all the empty seats in pharm schools.

You should apply if you want to be jobless with $230,000 in debt. It is a great gig. Only the dumbest of students are apply to pharm school now/accepting their offers. School are waiving all the requirements and are dying for stupid students.
I believe midwestern is one of the most expensive pharmacy schools in the state since its private. I was looking up their tuition and they have a 4 increase each year.

RIP.

listen, I never said anything about going into pharmacy school, I was explaining what was going on. I don't understand why people like you have to be so negative. Maybe if you got your head out of your ass, you would be respectful like everyone else. Any profession that helps people is a good profession. It being a custodian at a hospital or a pharmacist, you're doing your part to help with peoples medical concerns. If you're in the healthcare filed just for the money, then you have a lot of rethinking to do my friend.

listen, I never said anything about going into pharmacy school, I was explaining what was going on. I don't understand why people like you have to be so negative. Maybe if you got your head out of your ass, you would be respectful like everyone else. Any profession that helps people is a good profession. It being a custodian at a hospital or a pharmacist, you're doing your part to help with peoples medical concerns. If you're in the healthcare filed just for the money, then you have a lot of rethinking to do my friend.

You did get your answer in the end albeit probably not what you wanted to hear.

I dont get it either. The trolls on this forum are quite interesting.