Pre-Reqs at another school or CC - big deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalSonata

Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I actually transferred to my current 4 year college from a community college, so a few of my pre-reqs (Gen Chem, Intro Bio) were taken at a CC. Now I've failed Orgo (or close) and want to take it over, but I see no point taking it over at the same school:

1 - It's simply too hard and moves too fast, I couldn't keep up even with a tutor (Top 15 school)

2 - I would have to wait until next fall to start the sequence over, which pushes everything back, and again, I'd be taking it at the same hard school.

So is it a big deal to take the course at a local community college this spring or over the summer?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I actually transferred to my current 4 year college from a community college, so a few of my pre-reqs (Gen Chem, Intro Bio) were taken at a CC. Now I've failed Orgo (or close) and want to take it over, but I see no point taking it over at the same school:

1 - It's simply too hard and moves too fast, I couldn't keep up even with a tutor (Top 15 school)

2 - I would have to wait until next fall to start the sequence over, which pushes everything back, and again, I'd be taking it at the same hard school.

So is it a big deal to take the course at a local community college this spring or over the summer?

Thanks!

Hmmmmm, generally I'd say no its not a big deal to take pre reqs at a community college, but your situtation is a little different. You went from a CC to a 4 year university, failed Ochem at your university, and now want to go back to the CC to take it over? I imagine that would like a little fishy. Are you going to be able to drop the course or withdraw, or will teh F/D show up on your transcript?

In the end, you gotta do what you gotta do, but I doubt this situation could turn out favorably, and would likely come up at some point in the app process.

First off, this thread will probably end up getting merged with your other thread dealing with this same issue.

There is nothing inherently wrong with taking courses at a community college. However, the variability in the content of CC courses will often make ADCOMs wonder whether you covered as much or were challenged as much as those students who took the same class at a four-year college. For that reason, most people will recommend that you take your prerequisites at your main university.

I highly doubt that your current organic chemistry class is impossibly difficult. More than likely, you haven't developed the studying skills to do well in the course, and neither have the other students who are struggling. Quitting and taking an easy out by retaking the course at a CC is hardly a good idea. Your fellow pre-meds and the other med students on these forums can attest that medical school is difficult. Very difficult. The courses you face will be more difficult than your organic chemistry class. As such, it's important to learn to handle challenging courses now.

Wait didn't we already address this? From what I understand, it is generally frowned upon to take pre-reqs at other institutions. There are definitely exceptions to this, like if there is a definite reason (which you should probably define) for you to be home during the summers. I think you mentioned financial considerations, and I would think that would be valid as well.

Taking it somewhere else because it is too hard at your school is NOT a good reason in any case. There aren't options like that in medical school and adcoms would likely high frown on actions like that.

Try talking to your course director and see if there is anything you can do to help your grade (i.e. study skills, review sessions, or even just asking for clarifications). Take stock of how your preparation and see if adjustments need to be made. I have never heard of a course with mean F (implying half the class fails) - your school won't let that happen. Hope this helps.