No Jobs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patholo-gyst

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
None of the fellows at my institution are getting good jobs. We end up going to interview in parts of the country we are not suited for, and we are so frustrated.

And this is a top program, in the East, well-regarded.

This includes general surgical pathology as well as sub-specialty, one and two-year fellowships, people with US training and who are board-certified and who have a year of sign-out experience.

We are really in a panic.

Is this what is happening across the country, or just from our institution?

Members don't see this ad.

Not happening here. Everyone I know of who is looking has had multiple offers, academic and private. They are excellent jobs as well. One was looking in the southeast at a position, others midwest. Someone had an unsolicited offer from the NE also. I received a handful of unsolicited offers, mostly from the midwest but that is where I am. There are some fellows I think who are still looking so maybe they are having issues, I don't know.

I am curious as to what kind of trouble you are referring to. Are there good jobs they are all looking at, just in different states? Are there local good jobs but they aren't interested in hiring new people or something?

None of the fellows at my institution are getting good jobs. We end up going to interview in parts of the country we are not suited for, and we are so frustrated.

And this is a top program, in the East, well-regarded.

This includes general surgical pathology as well as sub-specialty, one and two-year fellowships, people with US training and who are board-certified and who have a year of sign-out experience.

We are really in a panic.

Is this what is happening across the country, or just from our institution?

What do you mean by 'not suited for'?

What fellowships?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a glut of pathologists and the job market in general sucks. I think now that just about everyone knows this except Fred Silva and a few others.
I posted on this more than a year ago.
http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/tables/table1_2007.pdf

Look at the pathology data - 383 spots in the match in 2001 to over 500 spots per year for the past 4 years.
The biggest problem with shortening AP/CP pathology residency is that the residency programs have continued to fill all their slots. This means that we used to have about ~2000+ residents spread over five years (thus graduating about 400+ residents/yr. to enter the job and fellowship market) and now have ~2000 residents spread over four years (thus graduating about 500+ residents/yr. to enter the job and fellowship market). This has made the competition for jobs and fellowships fiercer than ever. The job market can not absorb this increased supply and my contacts with recruiters clearly indicate that the job market is poor for new grads and for practicing pathologists wanting to change jobs. We will see significant unemployment in the future similar to the tripod group days ( http://members.tripod.com/~philgmh/CIPJM.html )

dude...pathology is about to go through the same boom radiology did 10 years ago...there will be plenty of money to around soon enough

dude...pathology is about to go through the same boom radiology did 10 years ago...there will be plenty of money to around soon enough

Duuude what in the world are basing that on?

Not happening here. Everyone I know of who is looking has had multiple offers, academic and private. They are excellent jobs as well. One was looking in the southeast at a position, others midwest. Someone had an unsolicited offer from the NE also. I received a handful of unsolicited offers, mostly from the midwest but that is where I am. There are some fellows I think who are still looking so maybe they are having issues, I don't know.

I am curious as to what kind of trouble you are referring to. Are there good jobs they are all looking at, just in different states? Are there local good jobs but they aren't interested in hiring new people or something?

I'm a resident and I've been hearing that good jobs are by word of mouth (pathology practices usually call the program director of the program which they trained in to recruit new candidates).

If not by word of mouth, I think headhunters would target the strongest programs, leaving the lesser known programs in the dark. It's common sense...if you are looking for the best graduates, seek them out at the best training programs. As a headhunter, why would you call Lesser Known Program, USA? So, it may seem as if the job market is great if you come from a great program (which I think UMich definitely is). But, if you come from a less well known program, I think the job market situation may be entirely different.

It sounds as if your graduates are receiving multiple offers. I doubt the same would hold true for the lesser known programs.

Consider a high demand field like derm, plastics, we all know these uber competitive fields. I am sure that if you go to the least well known residency program in any of these fields you will have employers buying you gifts to work for them. As I said, I think the opposite holds true in pathology.

Like has been said many times over, I think residency slots need to be slashed. I think there are a few programs out there that def need to be closed due to lack of volume.

I heard Silva talk last year. He made the job market sound soooooo rosy.

I don't mean to be playa hatin' but I've always wondered how derm has always kept its residency slots low? This country def needs more derms. I met a guy who said there wasn't one derm where he lived and he wasn't exactly living in Boondocks, USA either. Seems like those derm powers to be definitely know about supply/demand. I mean if derm slots were jacked up to really coincide with the demand, derm would pretty much no longer be competitive as it now is (as would any field in medicine)

Again, I don't mean to flame any derms, it's just something I've always wondered.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be playa hatin' but I've always wondered how derm has always kept its residency slots low?

Because the leaders in Dermatology ACTUALLY care about protecting their specialty, whereas in Pathology, our leaders continue to delude themselves into believing that the job market is fine, when it clearly is not. They rave about the ASCP's data that 80% of people who sought jobs found one. What about the 20%??? Even if the rate was 99%, we still should not be content. One person not getting a job is one too many!

I agree --- WE SHOULD CUT OUR RESIDENCY SLOTS IN HALF!!! The ASCP should promote training more PAs so that the need for manpower is not filled in by hiring more residents each year.

Cutting residency slots will not only improve the job market, it will also improve the image of Pathology as a specialty choice among medical students. With only half the number of residency slots available, only the most competitive applicants can get in. Before you know it, the ROAD specialties will have a new member and will then be called PROAD.

Because the leaders in Dermatology ACTUALLY care about protecting their specialty, whereas in Pathology, our leaders continue to delude themselves into believing that the job market is fine, when it clearly is not. They rave about the ASCP's data that 80% of people who sought jobs found one. What about the 20%??? Even if the rate was 99%, we still should not be content. One person not getting a job is one too many!

I agree --- WE SHOULD CUT OUR RESIDENCY SLOTS IN HALF!!! The ASCP should promote training more PAs so that the need for manpower is not filled in by hiring more residents each year.

Cutting residency slots will not only improve the job market, it will also improve the image of Pathology as a specialty choice among medical students. With only half the number of residency slots available, only the most competitive applicants can get in. Before you know it, the ROAD specialties will have a new member and will then be called PROAD.

Plastics, derm and pathology...I can think of it now...

Imagine:

Hot chick: So what do you do for a living?
Me: I'm a pathologist.
Hot chick (who is now all over you): OOOOH baby, pathologists turn me on!

Then I wake up....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not suprised personally. I can count the number of people on 2 hands that have graduated from my residency in the last 10 years who have gotten what I would classify as a "good job"..and this was arguably the best and at the time I was applying the most competitive Pathology training program in the US.

My entire residency class aside from myself set sail for fail, the classes ahead of me did a bit better but afterward it has been miserable in my estimates...POD lab offers, local county hospital chop shops, begging for government jobs, all manners of disgrace.

Yaah at Mich seems to be the exception (and I have theories as to why), which is odd because the entire state of Michigan is likely to end up in at bankruptcy auction any day now. I think the Mich would be lucky to pull a enough collective cash for a latte given the state of the auto industry at the moment...

Regardless show me a residency program nowadays that has more 3 people in a class land a partnership track position and actually become a partner, almost unheard of. Im struggling to think of anyone who finished my program after me (aside from 1 super genius) who has become a partner in anything but a "scrounger" group.

From the OP, listed as being near the Chesapeake, I can only guess you are at Hopkins. It is a friggin dark day when even pathologists from JHU cant land a cushy gig somewhere in the Southeast. But I have long foretold this day would come. Research my posts going back, what? 4 years now (wow, Ive been posting that long?). Lots of posts on why we, as a profession, have been shipwrecked.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:Djmd:laugh::laugh:
My guess would be that very last hit of crack he took out that makeshift crackpipe he rigged from a lightbulb in his room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not suprised personally. I can count the number of people on 2 hands that have graduated from my residency in the last 10 years who have gotten what I would classify as a "good job"..and this was arguably the best and at the time I was applying the most competitive Pathology training program in the US.

My entire residency class aside from myself set sail for fail, the classes ahead of me did a bit better but afterward it has been miserable in my estimates...POD lab offers, local county hospital chop shops, begging for government jobs, all manners of disgrace.

Yaah at Mich seems to be the exception (and I have theories as to why), which is odd because the entire state of Michigan is likely to end up in at bankruptcy auction any day now. I think the Mich would be lucky to pull a enough collective cash for a latte given the state of the auto industry at the moment...

Regardless show me a residency program nowadays that has more 3 people in a class land a partnership track position and actually become a partner, almost unheard of. Im struggling to think of anyone who finished my program after me (aside from 1 super genius) who has become a partner in anything but a "scrounger" group.

From the OP, listed as being near the Chesapeake, I can only guess you are at Hopkins. It is a friggin dark day when even pathologists from JHU cant land a cushy gig somewhere in the Southeast. But I have long foretold this day would come. Research my posts going back, what? 4 years now (wow, Ive been posting that long?). Lots of posts on why we, as a profession, have been shipwrecked.

LADoc,
I understand the gluttony of too many pathologists in the market. But how do you explain the best of the best not getting good jobs or as you mentioned partnership track offers? The quality of pathologists today are weaker? Podlabs taking over?

Makes sense. The economy goes down, the pathologist who were planning to retire don't because they just lost a lot of their retirement funds. They keep their jobs, and the job market becomes even worse than it was already:(. There is a GLUT of pathologists and it's getting worse.

Members don't see this ad :)

This post literally made me laugh out loud.

As for the original topic, there are many factors involved in the job market. One factor is that everyone has a different opinion of a "good job". What yaah has described in his recent job-related posts is similar to what I would look for in a "good job". My program is on the east coast and is usually considered one of those "top tier" programs and our graduates have no trouble finding what I consider to be good jobs.

However, I would have to agree with the previous poster that pathology is a world of haves and have-nots. Academic types think the job market is good because they cant seem to find enough pathologists who speak English and are willing to take their junior faculty positions. "Good jobs" are a different story. Think about it like this... consider the state your program is in and ask yourself "How many residents finish residency in this state every year and how many 'good jobs' typically come open in this state every year?"

As for why people in high profile programs may not get good job offers, I don't know why. There could be a million reasons. When it comes to getting a good job, there is more to it than being smart and knowing how to sign out pathology cases - much more to it.

Do you think that instead of doing surg path fellowships as everyone seems to do these days, new path residents should be investing fellowship training into molecular genetics, immunohistochemistry, and the like considering there is still a lot to be discovered in way of cellular markers and targeting treatments.

And if this is true, do you agree that there very well may be a new market for this type of pathologist as technology advances...

MAYBE THERE WILL BE A BOOM!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Makes sense. The economy goes down, the pathologist who were planning to retire don't because they just lost a lot of their retirement funds. They keep their jobs, and the job market becomes even worse than it was already:(. There is a GLUT of pathologists and it's getting worse.

even worse than that. Not only are the people about to leave jacked because of the economic vise of massive stock losses AND property devaluation(this maybe even bigger than stock/401K losses for many people), but at the very same time mid grade partners are getting killed by cuts from Medicaid, payors..and worst of all Medicare.

Prepare for this one: they are planning to "reclassify" many routine biopsies specifically prostate and skin as a new CPT code that pays only a fraction of an 88305....just when you thought it couldnt get worse, the government pops your left eye out and urinates in the socket.

If residency programs in path just dont outright close very soon, the current trainee glut will be absolutely obscene. Even beyond my biblical predictions.

From the OP, listed as being near the Chesapeake, I can only guess you are at Hopkins. It is a friggin dark day when even pathologists from JHU cant land a cushy gig somewhere in the Southeast.

Everyone thinks they're at a top program, maybe he's at Georgetown. If he is at JHU, everyone looking for a job should consider locking in fellowships for the next couple years.

even worse than that. Not only are the people about to leave jacked because of the economic vise of massive stock losses AND property devaluation(this maybe even bigger than stock/401K losses for many people), but at the very same time mid grade partners are getting killed by cuts from Medicaid, payors..and worst of all Medicare.

Prepare for this one: they are planning to "reclassify" many routine biopsies specifically prostate and skin as a new CPT code that pays only a fraction of an 88305

Agree.

Who would retire at this point unless you have a ton of cash/gold, no debt, and no fear of inflation?

As job losses start ramping up, more people will lose their health insurance. When homelessness and hunger are your main concerns, would you spend money out of pocket (if you have any savings) on health care? So even if the boomers are aging I'm not sure we're going to see biopsy volumes skyrocketing anytime soon. Resections may be a different story.

So with the perception that the supply of pathologists is increasing, reimbursements decreasing, and volume slowly increasing at best, it shouldn't be too surprising if groups aren't hiring right now. Working 60+ hours a week isn't so bad if you think your income is going to drop off a cliff in a couple years, especially when your net worth has just been cut in half.

If you're a recent hire, don't be complacent. You may find that X years from now when it's time for the partners to make a decision, they may have some disappointing news for you. Nothing personal of course, it's just business.

Of course if things get really bad, weaker hospitals may start shutting down, adding to the supply of job seekers. Aside from tenured professors in major academic centers, everyone in pathology should prepare for the possibility that they will lose their job, if they have a job to begin with.

Prepare for this one: they are planning to "reclassify" many routine biopsies specifically prostate and skin as a new CPT code that pays only a fraction of an 88305....just when you thought it couldnt get worse, the government pops your left eye out and urinates in the socket.

If residency programs in path just dont outright close very soon, the current trainee glut will be absolutely obscene. Even beyond my biblical predictions.

With the glut of pathologists you are seeing pathologists that will fight for crumbs. We have some pathologists who are interpreting biopsies for $15 - "the cost of a billable diagnosis by an employed pathologist is $15 "
see: http://www.g2reports.com/issues/advisory/advisory/joe_plandowski/300-1.html
Also pathologist professional reimbursement from Medicare is sliding downhill:
http://www.g2reports.com/issues/advisory/advisory/joe_plandowski/189-1.html

Last edited:
I am a fellow at an East Coast institution and I have had offers at nearly everyplace I have interviewed. I have interviewed mostly with groups that were looking for someone recently trained. I wanted southeast and I have had what I consider good offers from places in the southeast. Our other fellows have also had offers.

I did not do anything special- answered ads on outlines and CAP. One group e-mailed the program but they e-mailed many programs. The offers have been around 200 with anywhere from 2-4 years to partner but I will say they is a great deal of variability in compensation packages and group structure. Some groups pay less -150 or so but include bonuses and increase to 200 the second year.

So do not freak out to much- I am sure jobs will slow down but do not plan on multiple fellowships I do not think this will help you it only makes you look like you do not want to practice medicine on your own- for the record I am in my first and only fellowship.

That being said - if you think you are going to name your price, location and job type- you are kidding yourself- and you should wake up. You can get one of these, two if you are good and lucky but almost never all three.

No - the part about jobs being harder to find is definitely true, the best private jobs do not advertise (most academic jobs have to advertise unless they have some kind of special circumstance or create a position for someone). A lot of it is word of mouth or knowing the right people. I also know that many private places get tons of CVs every year from people hoping a position will open up. There are a lot of marginal candidates out there, many of whom are already out in practice or finished with residency.

As far as private jobs in my state this year, I know of around 10 that were trying to hire this year. And I did not extensively look around, I only specifically contacted two places, both where I knew someone fairly well.

Three of them (that I know of, there may be more) did not advertise and contacted people they knew to find someone.
I also know of two others where people I knew ended up in good jobs that hadn't advertised, so I don't know how they found out about them.
One other large semi-private place was hiring 2-3 new people and did not advertise, I found out about those because I was talking to an attending I knew there.
Another I talked to said he was not hiring this year but would be hiring several in the next couple of years.
There were four private places that openly advertised - one was looking for dermpath, two others were looking for generalists with experience, one wanted a generalist with GI experience.

All of these jobs, as best as I could tell, were not offering $150k to start.

Like I said this does not include the academic jobs of which there are also some available in multiple subspecialties.

But saying all this I am not saying the job market is wonderful. A lot of it, as we all said above, depends on your training and your program and you in general. I had people tell me they didn't really care what fellowship I did, that their decisions were based more on personality and other intangible things. The job I got was a combination of fellowship + reputation (references) + intangibles.

True.

Do you think that instead of doing surg path fellowships as everyone seems to do these days, new path residents should be investing fellowship training into molecular genetics, immunohistochemistry, and the like considering there is still a lot to be discovered in way of cellular markers and targeting treatments.

And if this is true, do you agree that there very well may be a new market for this type of pathologist as technology advances...

MAYBE THERE WILL BE A BOOM!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

You gotta realize how billing and reimbursement works. Molecular doesn't reimburse well (maybe it does for the megalabs due to volume) and there is very little professional component that you do. A non-MD can run the molecular lab. And a fellowship in IHC :laugh:. There will be no boom my friend.

You're sorta contradicting yourself. You're saying that everyone you know has had multiple offers, yet there are some fellows (in the professional, not gender sense, I presume) who are still looking...

Thank you for making fun of my original "dude" post. In all seriousness though, Pathology is really in its infancy.

There is only a matter of time before everything is digitized and everyone is able to look at twice the number of cases they do now.

MR microscopy, looking at things in vivo is also a wave of the future. Aswell as the other aspects mentioned above.

Medicine is becoming more microscopic, treatment is happening at that level as well, and as I am sure everyone knows, pathology can't help but be an integral part of that.

I'm sure people now are worried about the job market, but I think 6 years from now, when I finish and from my selfish viewpoint; it should be alright.

You're right...I don't know what I was thinking. Pathology is at a stand still. We are all screwed...Everyone run for the hills...

cmon...DUUUUUDE...does everyone honestly think that there are going to be no advancements in pathology over the next ten years. People were saying the same things about radiology 15 years ago. IT IS CALLED GENERAL ELECTRIC...it's what they do.

Stop worrying, otherwise, go into internal medicine or work an innane number of hours in surgery

You're right...I don't know what I was thinking. Pathology is at a stand still. We are all screwed...Everyone run for the hills...

cmon...DUUUUUDE...does everyone honestly think that there are going to be no advancements in pathology over the next ten years. People were saying the same things about radiology 15 years ago. IT IS CALLED GENERAL ELECTRIC...it's what they do.

Stop worrying, otherwise, go into internal medicine or work an innane number of hours in surgery

Dingus. I am in pathology already (see over there... attending).

MR microscopy? How will the radiologist doing microscopic level stuff help us?

"everything is digitized and everyone is able to look at twice the number of cases they do now."

When/if that happens what will happen to the number of pathologist needed?

So then places will stop hiring because even if their volume expands, they can still handle the workload.
Someone retires, why replace them when you can absorb the workload...

The point people have been making is there are too MANY pathologist/pathology residents being trained...

Last edited:

"everything is digitized and everyone is able to look at twice the number of cases they do now."

So then places will stop hiring because even if their volume expands, they can still handle the workload.

The point people have been making is there are too MANY pathologist/pathology residents being trained...

MR microscopy will be done by pathologists...Duke and Oregon both have machines that are heavily run by pathologists

Radiology will not delve into it, they already have too much on their plate and have very little to no idea about anatomy on the microscopic level. There was a 2007 ACP meeting that talked exclusively about MR microscopy and the role of the pathologist in it.

I'm glad you are an attending and I'm sure your frame of knowledge is greater than mine. I'm not disputing this. However, I do think that with scientific advancement comes more work, not less work. I think you are thinking too narrowly.

as an attending...you should also take the time to look through the following before you comment further

http://www.cap.org/apps/cap.portal?_nfpb=true&cntvwrPtlt_actionOverride=%2Fportlets%2FcontentViewer%2Fshow&_windowLabel=cntvwrPtlt&cntvwrPtlt{actionForm.contentReference}=cap_foundation%2Ffuturescape_meeting.html&_state=maximized&_pageLabel=cntvwr

You're sorta contradicting yourself. You're saying that everyone you know has had multiple offers, yet there are some fellows (in the professional, not gender sense, I presume) who are still looking...

Guess it wasn't clear enough. What I meant to say was that everyone I know of who is looking has been fine. There are a couple of fellows of which I do not know what they are doing as I haven't asked or heard. Maybe they're doing another fellowship or something. Maybe they already found something. Maybe they can't. I don't know.

If your stock is trading at the same price as 12 years ago, would you be putting your money into pathology R&D, or focusing on your survival?

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...4D3C-876A-4F77-96A6-FA16FD184CE7}&dist=msr_13

Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

What's the best way to ask about job placement during residency interviews? How do you know which places are the "best connected" since the good jobs are by word of mouth? Residents have been able to tell me about where people have gone for fellowships but know very little about jobs.

I'm angry.

We, physicians, and especially pathologists, need an organized effort to stop the current freefall.

We can't officially unionize. Yet we can form a nationwide, internet based, secretive organization, who will act on our behalf, provide a tool that will leverage our power against other players: insurance companies, government.

And yes, there would be an 'strongarm department', which would shake up those willing to break ranks.

As pointed out by the tripod committee ( http://members.tripod.com/~philgmh/pjm3.htm ) residency programs do not cut back on their positions as needed due to the money. They get funding from the government for residents to be grossing donkeys but if they use PAs they have to pay their salaries out of pocket. The programs are therefore not going to practice birth control on their own. We can easily get back to 1996 when 49% of graduating pathologists had zero job offers. There has never been another specialty to have such a catastrophic job market as pathology in the tripod days yet the leaders in pathology have not taken any systemic action to prevent a recurrence. We have more residents training now than ever before. IMHO FRED SILVA IS A CLOWN!

Quotes from tripod site

"Secondly, if one checks the CAP positions listing service at
http://www.cap.org/index.html As of 01/15/2001, the total number of Pathologists Seeking Positions is 184 and the total number of Positions Available is 116 for a ratio of 1.59 job seekers per job. Many of the Positions Available ads are dated so the true ratio may be higher."

"The Story: The Pathology job market has improved in the past 5 years.
The Reality: In 1996 about 49% of graduating residents had no job offer. In 1998 only 30% had no job offer. Even though the unemployment numbers are down it is still a disaster. The closest comparison is with the Great Depression of the 1930s. During the Great Depression the general US unemployment rate never exceeded 25%. So although the Pathology job market has improved it is still harder for a Pathologist to find an Attending level position than it was for the average person to find a job during the Great Depression
"

Yet our pathology leaders have done nothing to prevent this situation (which has not happened in any other specialty) from recurring!

Last edited:
I'm angry.

We, physicians, and especially pathologists, need an organized effort to stop the current freefall.

We can't officially unionize. Yet we can form a nationwide, internet based, secretive organization, who will act on our behalf, provide a tool that will leverage our power against other players: insurance companies, government.

And yes, there would be an 'strongarm department', which would shake up those willing to break ranks.

Militia time?

militia-fail.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO FRED SILVA IS A CLOWN!

Would Fred Silva be the person to target if we wanted to take action? How about Betsy Bennett (sp?) and company?

At the CAP Residents Forum in San Diego, I brought this issue up to one of the committee members (not a resident, but a practicing pathologist) and all he told me was to make sure I write my thoughts on the "wall of change." He reassured me that they would read each and everyone of those entries and look into them seriously. I do not know that anything will come out of that.

I'm angry.

It's next to impossible to organize physicians in collective organizations like labor unions do. There is too much to lose. And there is too much at stake for the patients, hospitals, etc. But as for leveraging power against government and insurance companies I think there are opportunities - it's just a matter of how and when.

As an aside, I think it's time to stop quoting that tripod thing. It's nearing 10 years old which is a lifetime in medicine. I find it personally difficult to figure out all these data and job market issues. Too many pathologists? Perhaps, but lots of people are hiring. Too many subpar pathologists?

There is only so far that cost cutting and hiring mediocre pathologists can get you. Most good hospitals (not all hospitals, and certainly not all outpatient clinics) want the best pathologists they can get, not just the cheapest ones. Eliminating residency positions seems to me a good tactic to lessen the numbers of subpar pathologists. But who is actually going to control this and decide which programs are eliminated? It isn't that easy. It takes a lot more than just saying, "look at the data, 20% of pathologists can't find a job!" Especially when they use the same data to reach opposite conclusions.

THere are a lot of powerful pathologists out there - many of them have no connection with residency programs and no real impetus to keep flooding the market with unemployable people. So why would no organization be proposing this at all? Why does it only come from 10 year old websites?

Would Fred Silva be the person to target if we wanted to take action? How about Betsy Bennett (sp?) and company?

At the CAP Residents Forum in San Diego, I brought this issue up to one of the committee members (not a resident, but a practicing pathologist) and all he told me was to make sure I write my thoughts on the "wall of change." He reassured me that they would read each and everyone of those entries and look into them seriously. I do not know that anything will come out of that.

I don't think Silva has any control over the residency numbers or the job market. He is in charge of USCAP which is primarily an educational organization for pathologists. It has less of the activity and representation in Washington or the AMA than do the CAP and ASCP, or even state and regional pathology organizations. He does talk a lot about the state of pathology in general and thus has influence, but not as much as the others at things that impact what you are discussing.

The ABPath probably does not either - they do, however, certify all pathologists for practice and would be in some position to influence this more.

As an aside, I think it's time to stop quoting that tripod thing. It's nearing 10 years old which is a lifetime in medicine. I find it personally difficult to figure out all these data and job market issues. Too many pathologists? Perhaps, but lots of people are hiring. Too many subpar pathologists?

THere are a lot of powerful pathologists out there - many of them have no connection with residency programs and no real impetus to keep flooding the market with unemployable people. So why would no organization be proposing this at all? Why does it only come from 10 year old websites?

I must respectfully disagree. I think that those who choose to ignore history are more likely to repeat it.
Many pathologists have seen where we are heading:

June 2005

An oversupply

The article "From hunt to hire—tips for landing that just-right job" (April 2005, page 14) reminded us of the skills needed to find a good job. Unfortunately, it will not change the difficult job market for today's graduates. When I started my residency, we were told there was a shortage of pathologists and job prospects were good, but that is not the case and it never will be. It's simple: There are more residency programs and pathologists in the market than are needed, and we can see the outcome of this in many of the problems we are facing. Why can other physicians direct bill? There are too many pathologists competing for a limited number of specimens. Why can hospitals relentlessly reduce our pay in our contract for Part A reimbursement? Because they can easily find an alternative to cover the service. Why will commercial laboratories soon dominate the outpatient anatomic pathology specimen market? They can hire someone at a less favorable income. Why do many graduates do second and third fellowships? There are too few jobs for them. Why is our locum tenens pay rate only half that of the radiologists? More pathologists than radiologists are available for this type of work.

If we don't solve this oversupply problem, it will only worsen because more and more pathologists are entering the market, and two classes of residency graduates will finish training together next year.

Ming Cao, MD
Pathologist
Flint Clinical Pathologists PC
Flint, Mich.

In the April issue of CAP TODAY (page 6) are several letters about client billing. Robert Hubbard, MD, is on target, but all the contributors raise valid observations. To paraphrase Clinton, "It's the oversupply, stupid!"

I retired in 1997 as chairman of a three-person group in a Philadelphia community hospital. Deals were made behind closed doors with HMOs whereby the hospital collected the technical fees for anatomic pathology but we were not permitted to bill for Part B services. My group experienced a drastic cut in our modest Part A remuneration for administration, supervision, and teaching. We operated a successful school of medical technology of which I served as medical director and, along with my associates, gave my share of lectures. After I retired and the students graduated, the program was terminated as not being "cost-efficient." A year or two after my retirement, the Philadelphia Inquirer published an article listing the salaries of the Philadelphia and surrounding area hospital CEOs. Obviously our Part A reduction and that of other hospital-based departments helped fund the inflated salary at the hospital where I worked.

During the 1990s my friends in urology and neurosurgery knew that residency programs in their specialties had already been reduced—an action that pathology should have taken. Reimbursement for Part B services has been steadily declining and all pathologists working in that arrangement will slide backward in income. Our friends in radiology have advantages: First, the reimbursements are better, and, second, every service qualifies as part B and those studies far outnumber what is available to us. Again, basic economics.

During my early years as a pathologist there was good-natured jesting between "town and gown" pathologists. It doesn't require an advanced degree in common sense to acknowledge that academia has a different agenda (namely cranking out residents) from the grunts in community hospitals. In my early days I enjoyed reading the Alvan G. Foraker, MD, stories published in Pathologist magazine about the harried Job Plodd, MD, pathologist at Podunk General Hospital. They were classics then and fit well in today's environment.

William J. Warren, MD
Furlong, Pa.

Economics and client billing

Though I cannot speak to the personality types of today's pathology graduates, I believe that the economic situation Louis Wright, MD, describes in the February issue (On client billing, a voice in the wilderness [February 2005]) can better be explained by simpler and more common sense observations.

In the dog-eat-dog environment that modern medicine has become, our clinical colleagues abuse us for their own financial gain simply because they can. With everyone in medicine fighting over fewer and fewer resources, it is inevitable that physicians will be pitted against one another. Simple supply and demand means too many pathologists are chasing too few specimens. With large commercial laboratories offering outpatient anatomic pathology at absurdly low rates, the average hospital-based pathologist simply cannot compete. Dr. Wright encourages us to participate more in hospital committees and tumor boards. Most of the pathologists I know are active and engaged with their clinical colleagues, but I have noticed that most of the radiologists I have worked with are reluctant to get involved with tumor board and other such activities. Their economic situation is quite different from ours simply because there is a significant shortage of radiologists. Our more practical friends in radiology and anesthesiology cut back their residency slots and now have the leverage to demand appropriate compensation and respect. The problems facing pathology today require practical solutions based on sound economics, not wistful longing for a golden age that has long since passed.
Robert J. Hubbard, MD
Community Hospital of San Bernardino
San Bernardino, Calif.

http://www.cap.org/apps/cap.portal?...etters.htm&_state=maximized&_pageLabel=cntvwr

http://www.cap.org/apps/cap.portal?...tters.html&_state=maximized&_pageLabel=cntvwr

Last edited:

I doubt that contacting Dr. Silva would have any effect. How about emailing Dr. Bennett and submitting a resolution by the residents in the CAP residents forum?

I have heard colleagues suggest the answer may lie in the ABP making the boards more difficult and letting the failure rate rise to ~50%. As an ABP diplomate I personally think this is not a good idea. I think it is unethical to deal with the oversupply in that manner. A better solution would be a large cut in residency slots.

Last edited:
As I said before - I just completed looking for a position- and found the job market to be quite good- especially considering the economic crisis that is going on.

Groups are advertising and hiring. In addition we are lucky to be in Pathology. There are so many old pathologists out there that may not want to retire but will die or be crapping in their pants at the scope- so until they move the lab to the hospice wing of the hospital - young people will be fine.

But I understand, it is no fun to say things are alright. You guys are right-there are too many pathologists and after fellowship I have accepted a position as a nurses aid- wiping the butts of old man pathologists who will not retire. But I figure I will be the first to know if one of them dies and I will just start signing out their cases. I just consider it another fellowship- but it pays better than my current one.

As I said before - I just completed looking for a position- and found the job market to be quite good- especially considering the economic crisis that is going on.

Groups are advertising and hiring. In addition we are lucky to be in Pathology. There are so many old pathologists out there that may not want to retire but will die or be crapping in their pants at the scope- so until they move the lab to the hospice wing of the hospital - young people will be fine.

But I understand, it is no fun to say things are alright. You guys are right-there are too many pathologists and after fellowship I have accepted a position as a nurses aid- wiping the butts of old man pathologists who will not retire. But I figure I will be the first to know if one of them dies and I will just start signing out their cases. I just consider it another fellowship- but it pays better than my current one.

my friend is at a school down in LA, she said their graduates are getting offers from places in the midwest for a little over 200k

Hmmmm.... should I be applying for radiology instead?

See, this is the same attitude that our leaders have about the job market (no offense pbp4) and that which is killing our specialty. A job market that is "quite good" is NOT GOOD ENOUGH! We should not stop until we, like our Dermatology, Radiology, and even primary care colleagues, can say truthfully to ourselves and to everybody else that the job market in Pathology is EXCELLENT, meaning that again, like our Dermatology colleagues, we are not even halfway done with our residency and employers already have jobs waiting for us.

I doubt that contacting Dr. Silva would have any effect. How about emailing Dr. Bennett and submitting a resolution by the residents in the CAP residents forum?

I will contact Jan Glas and submit a resolution...

Eliminating residency positions seems to me a good tactic to lessen the numbers of subpar pathologists. But who is actually going to control this and decide which programs are eliminated? It isn't that easy. It takes a lot more than just saying, "look at the data, 20% of pathologists can't find a job!" Especially when they use the same data to reach opposite conclusions.

Would the ACGME and CMS then be able to decide on which programs to cut?

There are so many small community programs out there that I think can be sacrificed. Pathology is a highly academic specialty, and quite frankly, I think that residency programs ought to be housed only in major medical centers and university hospitals. For example, in Ohio, Pathology, but NOT Dermatology, residency programs are housed in relatively small community programs in Akron and Youngstown. In the entire state, there are only 5 Dermatology programs compared to 8 in Pathology. And this is true for the rest of the country.

There are so many small community programs out there that I think can be sacrificed. Pathology is a highly academic specialty, and quite frankly, I think that residency programs ought to be housed only in major medical centers and university hospitals. For example, in Ohio, Pathology, but NOT Dermatology, residency programs are housed in relatively small community programs in Akron and Youngstown. In the entire state, there are only 5 Dermatology programs compared to 8 in Pathology. And this is true for the rest of the country.

Perhaps - but it's hard to say what the best way to influence them is. Perhaps a better bet is to go through national organizations - I do think thought that USCAP would be the least effective avenue - USCAP is weighted towards academics and university programs - who DO have a shortage of good pathologists. I agree that there are too many small community programs - many of them are quality training programs (although many of them are not), and may be better programs than some university programs. Ultimately I think it will depend on whether these community programs and smaller academic places are providing enough material and education to properly educate pathologists.

Ultimately, to institute real change you are going to have to prove things. Just saying the job market is bad isn't going to do it. The data showing 20% can't find a good job, etc, are important. But you also have to demonstrate that this is causing harm to the field and qualified graduates. The stagnant salary data is useful here, as are the proliferation of reference labs who pay pathologists as employees. The fact that people do multiple fellowships doesn't prove they need to do them in order to find a job. Maybe it's from perception. But it will also be important to demonstrate that truly qualified people are not finding good jobs, or are being lowballed or whatever. Like I said, I personally have met people who have had trouble finding jobs. But I haven't met anyone who I would consider hiring someday as a partner who has had trouble finding anything in an area they wanted to be in (that I know of, anyway). But I also would have pretty high standards. Other people probably have known such individuals who are qualified and being shut out- that's a good place to start.

exPCM - I am not disagreeing with you about the problems, I am simply disagreeing that the tripod website is that relevant these days. Any real change is going to have to come from current data and circumstances, not 10 year old data and opinions. Why hasn't it been updated, for example? Maybe the job market did improve? That's what bothers me about that site.

See, this is the same attitude that our leaders have about the job market (no offense pbp4) and that which is killing our specialty. A job market that is "quite good" is NOT GOOD ENOUGH! We should not stop until we, like our Dermatology, Radiology, and even primary care colleagues, can say truthfully to ourselves and to everybody else that the job market in Pathology is EXCELLENT, meaning that again, like our Dermatology colleagues, we are not even halfway done with our residency and employers already have jobs waiting for us.

I totally agree with this statement. Yes, there are path jobs out there, both good and bad. Do you ever see anyone commenting about bad Derm jobs? Bad Rads jobs? Bad ENT jobs? No way.

The specialty any field should model is Derm. The field is so competitive because of the $$$ involved and derms (if not metropolitan due to competition) can set up shop pretty much anywhere. There are waitlists of months to see a dermatologist. If anything, slots in derm could be increased to meet the demand out there, so that patients dont have to wait months to see their derm. But, no....like BigD said, the powers to be have kept slots down to a minimum. The field is so elite because of this well controlled supply (which results in a shortage) of dermies going out into the workforce each year. I am sure derm residents out there have no problem finding GOOD jobs. You never hear of a derm complaining, and I think that should be the case with ANY field in medicine, not just pathology. It really depends on who has the power to control the # of residents put out each year. If any field keeps the number of slots to a minimum, that field will def be that "elite" field.

If derm increases the # of slots to meet patient demand, do you think the field would be as competitive as it is now? No way. Those who go into derm for the love of it will stay. Those who go into it for the $$$$ will leave and that's the truth.

Last edited:

I know of a guy who was looking for jobs in the midwest. He said the job market in Ohio was not good due to the number of residents being put out in that state. I will ask him and get back to you about this.