Did I just Blow it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalSonata

Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay...I'm studying at a top 15 university, but I transferred in as a sophomore this year.

My first year I was at a community college - made a 4.0 and took some of my pre-reqs (Gen. Chem with lab 1 and 2 and Gen Biology with lab 1 and 2).

I transferred here and my GPA dropped significantly. I currently have around a C- in Organic Chemistry, and I have a C in another class (non-science) and B's in two other higher level biology classes.

Also - I have no research or clinical (or even volunteer) experience since I've been in college. I can't find a doctor to shadow (I email them over and over and call and everything), I am sending in volunteer applications but I'm not sure if it's enough, and the only research job I applied for I didn't get, and it isn't even real research, it's a research assitant position.

This is only my first semester of sophomore year...I'm hoping to boost my GPA next semester (I'm going to really buckle down and study all day), but this first semester here has really been awful while I tried to adjust to the rigors of a top 15 as opposed to a community college.

Advice? Is it over? Am I too dramatic? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Am I too dramatic? :(

Well, you have a Hillary Clinton quote in your signature... so yes, I'd say you are :thumbup:

Contact some people outside your major to inquire about research. I don't do research in the biology department, I do it in the psychology department (psychopharmacology).

Also, as for the shadowing thing, maybe you should look into doing the bulk of it back home on your breaks from school?

Let it go, pick yourself up from this point.

It's good that you realize you need to do some major cosmetic work now rather than later on when your GPA has hit rock diddly bottom.

Don't give other people who transfer from a community college a bad name by performing bad!

Surpass these highschool admitted kids, show them that community college transfer > traditional high school route. hahaha. go getem tiger!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're still relatively early in the "game," and there is plenty of time to pick yourself up. Congrats on transferring, as this is definitely a great accomplishment, and one would expect the transition to be challenging. But it's not too late to study hard and rock the finals. Also, be persistent with the volunteer and research stuff...it is often difficult to find something decent but just make sure that you're making progress on these things by junior year. That should allow for sufficient experience when it's time to apply.

I also transferred in to a pretty tough program as a sophomore. I'll tell you right now you've got to do everything you can to pull that C in orgo to a B. Also, hold off volunteering/research till the summer (though arrange for that to happen over the spring). Schools will understand a bad semester, especially if you can pull yourself together from here on out.

And no, you did not blow it. Worst case scenario, you spend a year doing some post-bac work. Good luck!

PS... studying all day everyday won't happen. get a head start on orgo 2 over break so you can kill the first exam.

I also transferred in to a pretty tough program as a sophomore. I'll tell you right now you've got to do everything you can to pull that C in orgo to a B. Also, hold off volunteering/research till the summer (though arrange for that to happen over the spring). Schools will understand a bad semester, especially if you can pull yourself together from here on out.

And no, you did not blow it. Worst case scenario, you spend a year doing some post-bac work. Good luck!

PS... studying all day everyday won't happen. get a head start on orgo 2 over break so you can kill the first exam.

Great advice!! Just focus on settling in at the new school academically first before you start trying to do anything else. You have plenty of time to catch up in the extra cirrics and find some volunteering opps. Also, if you're at a top school, they have to have a ton of resources available to you to find volunteer and/or shadowing opps. Talk to your advisor, or a prof, or even a friend that might have some experience when you have some time. Until then, work on pulling yourself ahead in Orgo! Good luck!