When to inquire about away rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiger26

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I couldn't find much specifically by searching, but when should I start contacting programs to set up an away rotation?

I want to do my home rotation in August and an away in either September or October, but I just want to make sure that I'm not so late scheduling that I miss out, without asking so early that I sound kinda annoying.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

So I couldn't find much specifically by searching, but when should I start contacting programs to set up an away rotation?

I want to do my home rotation in August and an away in either September or October, but I just want to make sure that I'm not so late scheduling that I miss out, without asking so early that I sound kinda annoying.

Any thoughts?

Im in your same situation right now and im trying to schedule away rotations right now if that tells you anything. If I were you i would apply as soon as you're allowed.

NOW is the time. Most of the popular places fill up fast, especially for July, August, and September. After that, it varies as October/November rotations are less popular due to the time crunch b/t completing the rotation, getting your grades, getting your SLORs and submitting your ERAS. Also, the individual programs usually have helpful information (contacts, application process, etc) on their websites. Also, there is usually some paperwork that has to be complete by your school and depending on how efficient your school is can take a while. Good luck and PM with any more questions, I was in your shoes last year this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Working on calling places tomorrow...well today technically.

I would start contacting places now, but don't expect to be able to apply everywhere yet. I did two aways and both wouldn't let me apply before March... (think they're busy with Match day?) Just contact the program coordinator (or med student coordinator if different) and see what their application process is like. A word of warning: some places have WAY more involved application processes than others.

If you are already contacting places you are in good shape. Don't stress out about it...you are plenty early. Relax and enjoy 3rd year!

Found this page about "Navigating the Residency Application Process." Answers many questions, just not the question asked in this thread.

Residency Application Process

A word of warning: some places have WAY more involved application processes than others.

Yup. Be prepared to get a physical documented, get a tetanus booster, have a 2-step PPD, and prove your immunity to hep B, varicella, rubella, with quantititative titers.

Yup. Be prepared to get a physical documented, get a tetanus booster, have a 2-step PPD, and prove your immunity to hep B, varicella, rubella, with quantititative titers.

I've seen some with a formal application asking for a few sentences as to why you want to rotate with them and/or why the specific rotation.

Pretty much all that I have contacted have wanted the vaccination record, proof of good standing from school, and liability info from the school. Depending on the speed of your school, this may also slow down the process.

Most important is to visit the websites of the places you are interested in. Many schools will have different application deadlines, etc. Start gathering your information (liability insurance, immunizations, letter of standing from dean, letter of rec, etc) and keep track of what the dates are for the places you are intersted in.

Create a list with several options. (#1, #2, etc) of where you would like to rotate.

Sorry to dig up an old thread. If I don't hear back from a program about doing an away, how long do I wait until I re-contact them? I have only contacted my #1 choice, but I don't want to be rude about it.

It largely depends on the part of the country. I applied to programs in CA and found that with a few exceptions (UCSF, Stanford), California programs tend to be pretty late in accepting people for away rotations.

One program didn't offer me (or anyone) and elective until July for a rotation starting near the end of August. So go ahead and start looking now for dates at programs you'd like to rotate at, but don't expect to be able to apply for quite some time.

Sorry to dig up an old thread. If I don't hear back from a program about doing an away, how long do I wait until I re-contact them? I have only contacted my #1 choice, but I don't want to be rude about it.
Digging up an old thread is much better than making a new one.

I talked to my #1 program in January about doing an away in either August, September, and October of the same year. My #1 hadn't made up their schedule that far in advance, and wouldn't accept applications until they had their schedule (turned out to be in March). I expect other institutions are similar. I wouldn't stress too much, because even if you wanted your app in on day one, you've got some time. Wait a week or so.

But now is an excellent time to start getting everything together (CV, apps, LORs) and figuring out the logistics of where to live during your away month.

Digging up an old thread is much better than making a new one.

I talked to my #1 program in January about doing an away in either August, September, and October of the same year. My #1 hadn't made up their schedule that far in advance, and wouldn't accept applications until they had their schedule (turned out to be in March). I expect other institutions are similar. I wouldn't stress too much, because even if you wanted your app in on day one, you've got some time. Wait a week or so.

But now is an excellent time to start getting everything together (CV, apps, LORs) and figuring out the logistics of where to live during your away month.

Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know :thumbup:

Last edited:
sorry, but i'm having some trouble here. ma country hospitals' basically doesn't offer electives or even ward rotations in EM dept as it is not considered an independent specialty here yet so ma only option are away electives.

the requirements that are mentioned for applying for away electives include CV, LOR and apps. i am a mere student with nothing else to offer at the moment , just starting fresh, so which fields' LORs i require? (since i can't get an EM one from ma country) and what does "app" means here?

plus electives allowed for IMG's MS are mostly observer ships, as i av heard around. any chance one can get internship there at MS level?

i don't know if these questions make sense or a repetition but i av null knowledge abt the field and any help would be very welcome. thanks in advance :) :luck: