EM Pay, Compensation, Billing and Benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that some of the topics we think have been thoroughly covered are actually pretty hard to find when searching. We frequently tell new users to search their questions first. I think we should try to address some of these topics in an informative manner. I will then link to these threads in the FAQ and hopefully we will have created a useful resource.

EM Pay and Compensation

For the purposes of this post I am using “pay” to mean how much income you can expect to make and “compensation” to describe the various ways Emergency Physicians (EPs) are paid based on hours worked, patients seen, work done and the infinite combinations of those elements. “Compensation” will also include a discussion of benefits although that subject really crosses both concepts.

EM Pay

EM pay is usually in the top half of the pay for physicians across the spectrum of specialties. The pay you can expect as an EP will depend on the type of practice you join such as academic vs. non-academic or corporate vs. independent. It also varies pretty dramatically by region and by urban vs. rural in some regions.

Simply put and in the current job market an EP can expect to make somewhere between $200,000 and $300,000 per year. The big urban areas such as LA, NY and SF tend to pay less because there are lots of docs who want to work there. That same supply > demand situation also reduces pay in some attractive areas like Hawaii, San Diego, Denver and other places with beaches or mountains. Areas that pay more to attract EPs have been places like west Texas and Oklahoma. Not all rural places can support premium EP pay to attract docs because of their payer mixes.

Important definition: Payer Mix = the ratio of insured patients to uninsured patients in a given area. If you work in an area with a poor payer mix you can’t get paid a lot because there is no money coming in to pay you. Take this one to heart. It will affect you as an EP for the rest of your career unless significant political changes occur.

So the point is that some rural areas are too poor and have such bad payer mixes that they can’t support the premium EP pay necessary to attract doctors. These are the kind of places that usually wind up staffing their EDs with non-boarded docs such as Family Medicine doctors.

For reference here are some sites that list EP pay (if any of these links are broken please let me know, thanks):
Salarywizard
AAEM
Alliedphysicians

I encourage others to add links to useful sites but please only post quality sites. Many of the headhunter sites that pop up first on a search are unreliable because they’re trying to sell you something and to that end they tend to be a bit over optimistic.

EM Compensation and Billing

There are many methods by which EP pay is determined. To start to understand these different models though it is important to shed some of the popular misconceptions about how doctors are paid that are held by most medical students. Most medical students think that doctors are employed by and paid by hospitals. This is NOT THE CASE. Most doctors are paid by their patients. We treat our patients, bill our patients and are paid by our patients or their insurers. This is true of every specialty. There are some doctors who have other arrangements but these are exceptions to the rule.

Given that most doctors make a living by billing their patients how does that work? Doctors bill for work done. If a patient is seen in an office they get a bill for the visit. If they are seen in a hospital they get a bill for that consult. If they needed a procedure or a surgery they get a bill for that.

In Emergency Medicine we bill both for the visit to the ED and for any procedures we do for the patient. The amount of the visit bill is based on complexity. This is where you encounter the Level 1 through 5 and Critical Care billing codes. Billing is in itself a horrendously complex undertaking. To bill effectively as an EP you have to have some training in it which is noticeably lacking in most residency programs. Most EPs flounder with it until their have time to take a course after residency.

A central element of EM billing is the RVU which stands for Relative Value Unit. The RVU is the amount of work done for various procedures and complexities of patients as determined by CMS. CMS is the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The idea is that you shouldn’t pay doctors based on the number of patients seen. That would be simple but it would punish doctors who see complicated patients and reward doctors who see simple patients. To equalize this anything you do for a patient will be assigned an RVU and you will be paid accordingly.

Here’s a pretty good description of RVUs provided by SDN user Dakota:
Texmed on RVUs
Which is from this discussion of RVUs:
SDN RVU thread

Here are some past discussions on EM billing:
SDN billing discussion
SDN billing discussion
SDN billing discussion
Feel free to add more discussion of billing as well as old threads that are useful.

Now on to compensation.

Salary

The simplest model for compensating EPs is a salary. Under this system you are paid $X per month or year. Nothing else matters in such a system. This type of system is pretty rare and is usually limited to academic groups or groups in publicly owned hospitals. The good thing about this system is that you always know what you will make in a given month. The downsides of this system are many. There is no way to pay you for doing extra work like staying late to take care of a particularly complicated patient, coming in early because the doc before you is overwhelmed or covering for a sick colleague. Most of the time these groups evolve a barter system to account for this. For example if you call out sick you may owe the covering doc two shifts. Some groups set up a bonus system for the extras although that isn’t a strict salary system and other groups actually pay each other out of pocket for such coverage. Another disadvantage of the salary system is that there is no disincentive to let patients to be seen pile up or to sign out too many patients at the end of the shift.

Hourly

Many groups pay based on a straight hourly rate. You work an hour; you get paid the rate for an hour. This system is almost as simple as the salary and it does suffer from some of the same disadvantages. There is no incentive to see patients. There is no disincentive to sign out lots of patients. The hourly system does accommodate staying late, coming in early and covering shifts for colleagues. If you work more hours you get paid more.

Fee For Service

Fee for service is the system where EPs are paid based on the work they do. This type of system is frequently referred to as the “eat what you kill” system which if regrettably termed for a medical entity is a roughly accurate description of the model. This system relies on the RVUs we talked about before. The more RVUs you generate the more you get paid. This system has the advantages of providing incentives and rewards for working harder and seeing more patients. There is a disincentive to leave patients waiting to be seen or signing them out to other doctors. This system has the benefit of making a particularly busy shift less irritating for the doc because they know they will be paid accordingly. One disadvantage of this system is that income is not consistent month to month because it depends on acuity and volume. Another pitfall is that there are incentives to do more than is indicated for a patient or even to up code because either of those things will result in an increase in pay for the doc. Doing too much is bad medicine and up coding is illegal.

Up coding = fraudulently documenting things that didn’t happen or that happened but weren’t indicated to increase a patient’s bill. This is illegal.

There is another VERY IMPORTANT distinction when looking at fee for service compensation schemes. Within a fee for service model doctors can be paid based on the work done or the money collected.

This is complicated but crucially important. First you have to understand that when you bill as an EP the patient is sent a bill that is connected to your CMS ID number. For the curious it’s your CMS UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number). So it is easy to track how much money is collected under your number. Groups that use the collections model take the money collected by a given EP, deduct the overhead expenses (administrative costs, malpractice, etc.) and give the rest to the doctor. The advantage of this is that it is the most direct way to pay an EP based on the work that they do. It shields them from subsidizing other EPs in their group who might be weaker. It does have some very important disadvantages though. Under this system if you see a patient who doesn’t pay their bill you eat that cost by yourself. For example if you have to spend a lot of time working on a critically ill homeless guy you get nothing at all for your efforts. In fact you will have lost money because you spent all that time and didn’t see any paying patients. This fact can lead to cherry picking of charts. That means that doctors may start to fight over who gets to see the insured little old lady with chest pain and who is forced to deal with the homeless dug addict with an abscess.

The other way to do fee for service is to take all of the money collected by the group. Put it in a pot and then divide up the pot by the RVUs generated by the EPs. Using this system there you will get paid for seeing that homeless guy although the group as a whole takes a hit. This system spreads the cost of treating the uninsured across the group so that no one takes as big a loss. This mitigates the risk of having a shift where you see a disproportionate number of uninsured patients or working a shift in a hospital with a poorer payer mix.

Compensation and Benefits

Let me throw in a word about compensation and benefits with respect to EM. Remember that “compensation” includes everything tangible you get from your job. Money is only a part of it. Medical, vision, dental, disability, malpractice insurances, tail insurance (which covers your malpractice once you leave a job), education and licensure expenses, professional association dues (e.g. ACEP, AAEM, AMA, etc.) parking, meals while on duty, scrubs, required immunizations and testing (e.g. TB tests) and various other things are sometimes provided, and sometimes not. All of that stuff is negotiable when looking at a job or signing a new contract.

Most new residency grads are too fixated on income as the main form of compensation. Most underestimate the value of things like health and disability insurance when it comes to choosing between job offers. Buying insurance and other benefits on the open market is expensive. Health insurance, even for a young healthy family, will run hundreds of dollars a month and can easily be tens of thousands a year. A good benefits package will equal between $15k and $50k of cash income, especially if you have some health issues. Remember this when looking at job offers. The best thing to do is to use the internet to get quotes in the market you’re looking at (i.e. the city you would be in) to see what it would cost to buy the things that a particular job offer lacks so you can compare apples to apples.

Members don't see this ad.

Doc, thanks for writing these guides which are immensely helpful for those of us about to start residency.

Have you ever heard of residents using elective time to attend a medical billing course? If so, do you have any that you recommend? Are any of these courses tailored specifically for ED physicians?

Thanks. -G

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc, thanks for writing these guides which are immensely helpful for those of us about to start residency.

Have you ever heard of residents using elective time to attend a medical billing course? If so, do you have any that you recommend? Are any of these courses tailored specifically for ED physicians?

Thanks. -G

ACEP has a course called Advanced Procedure Coding for EM but I think that would be too advanced for most junior residents. Hell, it might be too advanced for me.

There are others but I don't know anything about them. Be careful when searching because lots of courses are geared toward teaching non-medical people how to be coders rather than teaching doctors how to document and bill effectively.

The best way to get your feet wet is to seek out who in your Emergency Department faculty is the "billing guru." Most groups have someone who has an interest in the business end of things. Ask around to identify this person and then ask if they'll spend some extra time on a shift or at coffee or something to start teaching you about this stuff.

I should also point out that not knowing anything about this is the rule for new grads. You are still a good candidate even if you don't know the business end. Most groups expect to have to teach you most of this stuff once you're out. A few groups will try to take advantage of your ignorance but they are not so common. We will expect that you will be willing to learn about this stuff to the extent you need to to be productive. Some residents graduate with the attitude that the whole money end of things is dirty and beneath them. They tend to run into problems out in the real world.

ACEP has a course called Advanced Procedure Coding for EM but I think that would be too advanced for most junior residents. Hell, it might be too advanced for me.

All you have to do is give your email to any of the national organizations and you'll get 5 emails daily wanting you to subscribe to some coding journal.

I absolutely hate spam. Any person who subscribes or buys anything from a spam email should be hanged.

There's a link to this thread in the FAQ. Doing it this way allows the thread to get input and comments from everyone and still keep the FAQ from getting out of control.

docB, thank you so much for your posts, i really really appreciate them.

one random, possibly absurd question, but i need to ask nonetheless. let's say by the time i'm done with my pgy-4 year i'm pretty well-versed about how to select an excellent employment opportunity vs. a shady or subpar one. if i'm carrying out my interviews and asking the payer mix questions, the scheduling, compensation, nitty gritty stuff (e.g. the stuff that will really be on my mind) at what point/is there a point where the potential employer looks at me as a possible malcontent or pain in the ass?

even if one asks the questions in the most sociable, normal way possible, isn't there a point where it becomes uncomfortable for the employer? i ask this because no job is perfect, and having some new grad probing you about the ins and outs, flaws and drawbacks of your job could be perceived as "high maintenance" and paint you as somebody who will always be asking questions and never satisfied.

i might be thinking irrationally, or i might just be thinking about those people during residency tours or interviews who kept asking about how long sign out was, if white coats were laundered, vacation time, pay/benefits, etc.

They need you more than you need them. The people doing the recruiting in the groups are the docs that know the answers to these questions, and it is very akin to buying a car or a house, or getting married - you may be in this arrangement for years and years. Ask every single question you can; that shows that you are interested, and that you are prepared. If they can't answer them, that's a red flag. The even bigger red flag, which is more like a big red stop sign, is if they won't answer those questions. You pass them on by.

if it's a desirable job, why would they need me more than i need them? wouldn't people be clamoring for said job?

The best jobs have to be waited for, go by word of mouth, are not advertised nor recruited, and are virtually always for people that know people in the group closely.

Those jobs are rare.

However, that does not mean that there are not many, many desirable jobs out there. If it's a sweatshop, or people are treated horribly, that is not self-sustaining.

docB, thank you so much for your posts, i really really appreciate them.

one random, possibly absurd question, but i need to ask nonetheless. let's say by the time i'm done with my pgy-4 year i'm pretty well-versed about how to select an excellent employment opportunity vs. a shady or subpar one. if i'm carrying out my interviews and asking the payer mix questions, the scheduling, compensation, nitty gritty stuff (e.g. the stuff that will really be on my mind) at what point/is there a point where the potential employer looks at me as a possible malcontent or pain in the ass?

even if one asks the questions in the most sociable, normal way possible, isn't there a point where it becomes uncomfortable for the employer? i ask this because no job is perfect, and having some new grad probing you about the ins and outs, flaws and drawbacks of your job could be perceived as "high maintenance" and paint you as somebody who will always be asking questions and never satisfied.

i might be thinking irrationally, or i might just be thinking about those people during residency tours or interviews who kept asking about how long sign out was, if white coats were laundered, vacation time, pay/benefits, etc.
I don't think it's an absurd question at all. You could always run into someone in a group who doesn't like the financial nuts and bolts aspect and is turned off to you by really probing them on the numbers. I would say that most of this stuff should come out during your discussions about pay. It's perfectly reasonable to ask about pay structure and payer mix stability when you are evaluating a prospective job.

I would say you need to gauge who you're talking to. If the person your interviewing with doesn't seem comfortable talking about the numbers talk about whatever they want to talk about BUT ask who you can talk to about the finances. You have every right to know how stable a group is before joining it and if they really just won't tell you it's a red flag. The old "we can't tell you that until you join the group" line is worrisome. If you're getting that start asking about retention. If they have high turnover, ie. lots of people leaving after they finally get to see the books, then be afraid.

thanks docB... for taking the time to do these posts. They're really helpful and answered a lot of the questions for us.

thanks Apollyon and docB for your thoughtful replies. the rest of my questions are about community vs. academic, but i'll search previous threads first b/c 90% has probably already been answered.

The best jobs have to be waited for, go by word of mouth, are not advertised nor recruited, and are virtually always for people that know people in the group closely.

Those jobs are rare.

However, that does not mean that there are not many, many desirable jobs out there. If it's a sweatshop, or people are treated horribly, that is not self-sustaining.

Agree. I landed probably one of the sweetest community jobs ever. (Granted, I moved to the midwest....). We don't advertise, and its basically word of mouth. How the heck did this dufus get this job? I just cold-called them, and then emailed them again several months later. Ba-da-bing, things ended up great and I am super happy.

Q

Thanks for all the great information!

I haven't had much luck searching and sorry if it has already been beaten to death, but here goes....

Malpractice insurance, nose, tail, etc. gets mentioned a lot, but usually there isn't any detail (ballpark) for how much this costs or is worth when included in benefits. I can appreciate that just like every other aspect of EM, this will vary on setting, practice type, hours worked, state, etc.

--What is the general value of a malpractice? for how much coverage?
--Do any/many/most EM docs carry additional coverage on their own?
--Is the cost graduated for the first few years out of residency (matures) like some other specialties?
--Finally, how badly does having a claim/settlement/judgment affect rates and insurability?

Thanks

Good questions. Sorry I don't have the greatest answers. Being a corporate guy I don't have to shop for med mal and everything happens as a group. I'll throw in my $0.02 and maybe one of the indie guys will pick up the slack.

--What is the general value of a malpractice? for how much coverage? Thanks
In my market it runs in the ~$100,000/ yr range. Not sure what the average is. If anyone finds a good resource that breaks it down by specialty and state or region let me know and I'll put it in the FAQ.

--Do any/many/most EM docs carry additional coverage on their own?

No. I may be going out on a limb here but even the IC gigs I know of provide med mal. Consequently I don't kow anyone who has bought their own. As for having extra I have heard that it is not a good idea as it can make you a more attractive target for a lawyer.

--Is the cost graduated for the first few years out of residency (matures) like some other specialties?

If you are in a group plan it's not. The groups rate is set based on the demographics of the group, not any one individual.

--Finally, how badly does having a claim/settlement/judgment affect rates and insurability?

Depends on the number of judgements and the amounts of the judgements. The bean counters don't care about the difference between bad luck and bad medicine. As far as they are concerned they cost the same. One typical suit won't hurt you too much. If you have a lot of settlements or judgements, more than average, it's harder to overcome.

docB's summary is great -- wish i had that coming out of residency

wanted to add a couple of things regarding malpractice insurance...

if you are an Independent contractor and have to pay for your own insurance, remember this is going to take a chunk out of your after tax pay...

there are two types of insurance... occurrence based and claims-made....

the insurance you want is 'occurrence based'. this means that you are covered for every patient you see... regardless of when a malpractice suit is filed against you and regardless of who you are working for when the suit is filed

if you have claims-made insurance, you are only covered IF you are still working for the company/group/hospital, etc WHEN the suit is filed... for instance you work for a physician group between 2005-2007. In 2009 you are named in a suit from 2006, if you are no longer working for that same physician group...you are not covered UNLESS you bought tail coverage when you left. Tail coverage is a policy you can purchase to cover you if you only had claims-made malpractice insurance... you will need to maintain the tail coverage for several years ... basically until the by law no one can sue you anymore (i.e... based on statute of limitations)... Tail coverage can be expensive and you end up paying for it out of pocket, post tax, of course.

this link probably explains things better -- though just an FYI... it is written by an attorney

http://www.physiciansnews.com/business/404burke.html

another link which summarizes everything i just wrote much more eloquently

http://www.acponline.org/residents_fellows/career_counseling/malpractice_insurance.htm