That's incredible. Were you in finance before medicine? My YTD investment gains were around 22K, which I felt was ok given that I'm a year and a half out and only started investing/learning to invest last December and my portfolio up until recently was small. And for now I'm single income (SO went back to school). Seems like option trading is the money maker.. but I don't really understand it all that well and the risk is high. Guess I need to learn.
Biochem major. Haven’t had any formal education in finance except from what I’ve learned through reading and through YouTube. Completely self taught.
I started my finance journey as a pgy3 when i read almost every finance book in my local library - i was getting prepared for the day i had money. I started off as a boglehead and constructed a perfect 4 fund portfolio with a slight small cap tilt then i learned about options - watched YouTube (tasty trade channel) for 15-20 hours in 2 days and made my first trade the next day.
In fact, in 2020 when i was a complete novice at trading, i sort of built a very nice theoretical strategy and posted everything about it on this forum just 3-4 weeks into trading options. That was my first strategy, a very very very low risk one that almost certainly guaranteed beating the sp500 long term. Big words, i know. But yeah….
I should have been in finance.
Edit:
Here’s the first ever post about options - 2 ish weeks into learning about options and trading.
Since we were discussing stocks, I think we should have a discussion on options trading. I've recently gotten into options, while the rumor is that options are dangerous and extremely risky, but the more I've read on this topic, the more it seems that options are one of the best ways to...
forums.studentdoctor.net
@thegenius was the only person i intrigued enough to go on a deep dive to educate themselves and now I’m fairly certain he knows a lot more than me.
Though i will say options get a bad reputation. It’s really not rocket science, it can be learned in 3-4 days. There’s only 4-5 strategies that actually work (wheel, naked puts, strangles, credit spreads and iron condors). Other things shouldn’t be done anyway. I eventually landed on naked puts as my favorite. It’s the only thing i do. Probably can be learned in 2-4 hours.