Income, benefits, compensation thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This feels like when I was reading people's Step scores on SDN. I know the average of ER docs nationally, but curious where the other side of the bell curve is? No shade... seems like some good gigs out there.
I've seen some ****ty salary data published in the last year. From where I sit, it seems like manipulation and scare tactics to get people to accept low wages. Don't fall for it.
 
Employer: Hospital
ER setting: rural
Region: PNW
Hourly: $250/hr. 10 hour shifts.
W2 or 1099 or k1: w2
Patients per hour: 1.5-2
Annual census: ~22,000
Cme: 4k
Annual bonus: none
Benefits: insurance + disability + life + 403b match and 401a
Overtime rate: $312/hr
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Employer: large CMG
ER setting: Community
Region: South East
Hourly: ~$240/hour (170/ hour base 190 nights, plus some RVU
W2 or 1099 or k1: 1099
Patients per hour: 2.2+
Annual census: 60k
Cme: None
Occasional Quarterly Bonus: None
Annual bonus: NO
Benefits: ROFL

This is a terrible job, especially for the SE.

Why are you here?
 
Employer: Physician owned partnership (limited number of partners, of which I am not)
ER setting: Academic/Community hybrid
Region: TX
Salary: $330,000/yr (half clinical - 7 shifts per month, 8s/9s, half admin/teaching)
W2 or 1099 or k1: W2
Patients per hour: 1.6-1.8 for non-teaching shifts
Annual census: 100k
Cme: 2500/yr
Occasional Quarterly Bonus: None
Annual bonus: No
Benefits: Health, 401k match, everything else (vision, dental etc.) is a pass-through, but available
 
Employer: Hospital employed
ER setting: semi rural hospital - town of 6000 people 1+ hour from mother ship hospital and 2 academic tertiary care centers
Region: Mid Atlantic
Salary: 190/hr day, 220/night - bonus pay (chart completion, press Gainey, meetings, etc) maxes at $60k for full time
W2 or 1099 or k1: W2
Patients per hour: 1.5-1.8
Annual census: 35k
Cme: 5000/yr - recently changed to income and taxed/paid out monthly. Probably better as they previously made it very difficult to use.
Annual Bonus: Paid annually end of fiscal year, used to be paid monthly
Benefits: Health, 403b with a soft match, health/dental etc available for about $900/month family but the health plan is hospital owned and really sucks. I use my wife's plan. No vacation time, no sick time. full time hours bumped up to 1760 at beginning of pandemic.

My all in hourly for the past couple of years (excluding 403 match) was $236/hr. I am working prn for $235 now, no late evenings or night shifts. Just before pandemic I was making (with some productivity pay) $260-280/hr but cut pay to these numbers right as the pandemic hit hard. Thanks! I made around $240k last year at 0.6 FTE.
 
Employer: Catholic Hospital system PSLF eligible
Setting: Semi rural- 45 minutes from mother ship Level II trauma center
Region: Great Plains
1099/W2: W2
Salary: $198.5/ hour + $20 night shift differential
Yearly Bonus: Yes, $20,000 ( Charts done within 3 business days of Pt encounter)
Benefits: great 401K match 6%, full health, dental, vision, HSA, PSA, short and long term disability, 4 weeks paid off for paternity leave
CME: $5,000/ yr, also pay for license and DEA doesn’t take away from CME funds
Annual Census: 25K
Other benefits: $25,000 sign on bonus, $50,000 towards student loans, always two docs on shift with overlapping coverage, no mid levels.

Also, very important to me and should be to others, the group of guys you work with can make a difference. I’m taking a little less pay to work at a well staffed ED with great group of guys that get along well and supportive. I can grab beer and watch football with any of the Docs in my group and our consultants. Important in my book for long term success in EM
 
Last edited:
You guys/gals are making banks. You work hard for it.

It would be nice if people put their annual income last year.
 
Last edited:
Employer: CMG (previous CMG bankrupt, taken over by the most hated CMG online -- these numbers likely change)
ER setting: Suburban
Region: Texas
Hourly: $180/hr floor + RVU, as a nocturnist I average $400-$415/hr
W2 or 1099 or k1: 1099
Patients per hour: 3-3.5 PPH, about 1-2 PPH additional midlevel supervision
Annual census: 60K
Cme: 3K
Bonus: Nope again
Benefits: See above
 
Last edited:
Employer: Academics
Setting: Urban
Region: West Coast
1099/W2: W2
Salary: $350/hr
Patients per hour: 1.5-2.5 depending on shift type, if residents are on, etc.
Yearly Bonus: no
Benefits: 8% retirement gifting, full health, dental, vision, short and long term disability, 8 weeks paid off for paternity leave
CME: $3,000/ yr
Annual Census: 100k
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Employer: Academics
Setting: Urban
Region: West Coast
1099/W2: W2
Salary: $350/hr
Patients per hour: 1.5-2.5 depending on shift type, if residents are on, etc.
Yearly Bonus: no
Benefits: 8% retirement gifting, full health, dental, vision, short and long term disability, 8 weeks paid off for paternity leave
CME: $3,000/ yr
Annual Census: 100k

What? Academics 350/hr???? With residents to do a lot of heavy lifting? Now that’s a unicorn gig.

Is this a typo 🤣
 
What? Academics 350/hr???? With residents to do a lot of heavy lifting? Now that’s a unicorn gig.

Is this a typo 🤣
Not a typo, I get paid really well at my shop. But you also have to take into account that I get a one to two shift buy down for a non clinical gig that I then make up for by picking up two to three in house moonlighting shifts a month at a higher moonlighting rate. I just averaged it all out for simplicity sake.
 
Not a typo, I get paid really well at my shop. But you also have to take into account that I get a one to two shift buy down for a non clinical gig that I then make up for by picking up two to three in house moonlighting shifts a month at a higher moonlighting rate. I just averaged it all out for simplicity sake.
You found the marble in the oatmeal.
 
You guys/gals are making banks. You work hard for it.

It would be nice if people put their annual income last year.

Well it's all how much you work. Someone might make $550K/year and another doc makes $350K/year and they make the same per hour. I think hourly rates are where it's at. There are plenty of docs who choose to work part time.
 
240/hr as 1099 is not normal for the SE

You're incorrect. But I suspect it has quite a bit to do with some areas of the SE being almost purely CMG at which point the prevailing pay get driven down by the fact that everyone has the same model so there isnt a need to pay more than "other areas of the country", only a need to be a better job than the hospitals near you, since they're all 1099 no benefit models. Prices can stay stagnant and tweaking can happen at lifestyle stuff (a place Im working part time at recently advertised they dont care how many people you see at all.... and they mean it. and they're pulling in applications left and right just for the lifestyle of that).
 
I know an ER doc who works everyday (yes, everyday) who makes this much.

I work (at two sites) with a dude proudly approximating or cracking a million every year. He does nocturnist work only and works at 3 sites to basically get 24-25 shifts a month done. He's been doing this for like 8 years now.... maybe more. He just had a kid and is saying hes going to cut back to 20 shifts.

guy is *definitely* on cocaine. Just sayin'

And this comes from me, doing 16-18 12-hour shifts a month for essentially my entire 6 year career so far.
 
I know an ER doc who works everyday (yes, everyday) who makes this much.
I know hospitalist who make 600k, so I figure out ER docs can make 800k+ if they work a lot.

There is an ED doc at my shop who told me he has been working 21-22 days (12-hr) per month consistently for the past 2 years. He might make that much if he is getting $275/hr. It's semi rural with an ER volume of 55-60k/yr.
 
I work (at two sites) with a dude proudly approximating or cracking a million every year. He does nocturnist work only and works at 3 sites to basically get 24-25 shifts a month done. He's been doing this for like 8 years now.... maybe more. He just had a kid and is saying hes going to cut back to 20 shifts.

guy is *definitely* on cocaine. Just sayin'

And this comes from me, doing 16-18 12-hour shifts a month for essentially my entire 6 year career so far.
So you have been making 650k+ in the past 6 yr in south FL. That is remarkable.

One hospital in Miami (HCA-Envision) offered me $75/hr + RVU as a hospitalist in 2021.
 
Employer: Academics
Setting: Urban
Region: West Coast
1099/W2: W2
Salary: $350/hr
Patients per hour: 1.5-2.5 depending on shift type, if residents are on, etc.
Yearly Bonus: no
Benefits: 8% retirement gifting, full health, dental, vision, short and long term disability, 8 weeks paid off for paternity leave
CME: $3,000/ yr
Annual Census: 100k
This is legit unicorn. Great benefits, top pay, residents, security.

With residents, 40 hrs a week is doable putting u at 700k/yr
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I retract my previous statement of "outside of FSED owners, I doubt it" and replace it with "outside of FSED owners and people working a legitimately absurd number of shifts, I doubt it."

I mean, yeah, if I worked 24 shifts a month (8-9 hrs/shift), I'd break 800k / yr not including benefits. I have literally zero interest in doing that however.
 
I retract my previous statement of "outside of FSED owners, I doubt it" and replace it with "outside of FSED owners and people working a legitimately absurd number of shifts, I doubt it."

I mean, yeah, if I worked 24 shifts a month (8-9 hrs/shift), I'd break 800k / yr not including benefits. I have literally zero interest in doing that however.
I'm a weirdo who truly enjoys working 15+ 12-hour shifts and gets really bored and anxious at home without something to keep me busy at least half the month. This is *while* living in a major city with tons to do each day and while being the primary person cooking and cleaning in my household to keep me busy with chores (admittedly - no kids). If i ever run out of stuff to do, I get restless and I plow through hobbies fast too. I'm worried about how I'll handle working less than 180 hours a month, psychologically. I did not enjoy when a contract dispute at one of my hospitals left me at 132-144 hours per month. All my partners laugh at the fact that I'm legitimately happy to be at work 95% of the time. I do suspect children may change that, though.

But I may say I'm a weirdo who prefers >200 hours, but the guy who regularly works 288? thats a real weirdo. Gotta have some time to see my family eventually.
 
I did about 9mo of 17-19 shift / mo (13-14core, 3-5 moonlight), while also being department chief (normally a ?4-5? shift mo / workload), during the 2nd - 3rd covid waves (double the base admin work, cut the admin pay a bit). I think my peak month was 20-21 shifts, also doing like 4hr / day admin ****e.

In the end, that did make a fair amount of $. And I shan’t do it again. It was largely d/t a conglomeration of moonlighting opportunities that paid decently and didn’t suck clinically (hard to find that as much now), and significant pandemic financial uncertainty, with school aged kids doing remote school all day in the house. I’m already a make-hay-while-the-sun-shines, sir-saves-a-lot type personality, and that time period had me acting like a proverbial grandma who survived the Great Depression. Thankfully my moonlighting gigs both started tailing off naturally, letting me glide down from that before I lost my mind.

That type of thing was fine when I first got out, needed cash for a down payment, had no children, had a significant other who worked a 50hr/wk job. I could guzzle up extra shifts, even slam extra overnights and barely impact my home life. Not true now.

Now that I have some degree of a nest egg, I’m trying to be a little more balanced and not burn my candle from both ends EVERY day. That said I still work 85% FTE clinically while doing my admin stuff, and have been saying “oh I’m going to go down 1 shift a month… soon… yeah.. totally..” since well before the pandemic. *shrug*
 
I'm a weirdo who truly enjoys working 15+ 12-hour shifts and gets really bored and anxious at home without something to keep me busy at least half the month. This is *while* living in a major city with tons to do each day and while being the primary person cooking and cleaning in my household to keep me busy with chores (admittedly - no kids). If i ever run out of stuff to do, I get restless and I plow through hobbies fast too. I'm worried about how I'll handle working less than 180 hours a month, psychologically. I did not enjoy when a contract dispute at one of my hospitals left me at 132-144 hours per month. All my partners laugh at the fact that I'm legitimately happy to be at work 95% of the time. I do suspect children may change that, though.

But I may say I'm a weirdo who prefers >200 hours, but the guy who regularly works 288? thats a real weirdo. Gotta have some time to see my family eventually.

Having young kids has made me want to work MORE than before. Kidding…but not really
 
Opposite over here.

Seen too many docs come down with some awful disease at a young age - friend in 30s with two kids has ALS.

Time is your most valuable commodity folks, and I can think of 1000 better ways to spend it rather than in the ED.

I can think of much fewer (obviously still many). Which may be why I enjoy pulling that many shifts. but again... I think kids will upend that quite a bit
 
Guy in California made 180k in a month.. consistently making $1M+/ yr pre NSA. SoCal for those wondering.

If you see a lot of PPH and use some MLPs making 600k isnt crazy for an SDG doc.
 
Guy in California made 180k in a month.. consistently making $1M+/ yr pre NSA. SoCal for those wondering.

If you see a lot of PPH and use some MLPs making 600k isnt crazy for an SDG doc.

I mean if you add my bonuses, then I’ll pull around 430k a year working 13 shifts a month and seeing 1.1 pph on average. If i add 4-5 more shifts i should hit that 600k a year too. So you don’t need to see a crazy pph, just extra days at work will do the trick.

Night shift right now and I’m in bed. Seen 2 people since 7 pm (almost 5 hours now). Too bad I’m not able to fall asleep -_-

Edit: i jinxed myself. 2 people came in at 1 am
 
Last edited:
I mean if you add my bonuses, then I’ll pull around 430k a year working 13 shifts a month and seeing 1.1 pph on average. If i add 4-5 more shifts i should hit that 600k a year too. So you don’t need to see a crazy pph, just extra days at work will do the trick.

Night shift right now and I’m in bed. Seen 2 people since 7 pm (almost 5 hours now). Too bad I’m not able to fall asleep -_-

Edit: i jinxed myself. 2 people came in at 1 am
17-18 (12.5 hr by your math) shifts a month sounds unpleasant.
 
In the spirit of salary transparency I've created this thread to create awareness and information for fellow EM docs so they can understand their fair market value and essentially negotiate an income that represents their worth as trained ER docs.

I’ll go first. Here's my current job.

Employer: University group
ER setting: rural
Region: mid west
Hourly: $200/hr
W2 or 1099 or k1: w2
Patients per hour: 1.1 average last year
Annual census: i believe 8600
Cme: 5k
Annual bonus ~ 40k (given quarterly)
Benefits: the usual - health, life, disability insurance., vision, dental. Plus 2 weeks paid paternity leave and 50 percent tuition discount to the university for kids. 401k match at 5%
Overtime rate: $220/hr

Sorry this may be incorrect math on my part but does this mean if you worked 40hr a week youd gross like $544,000?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EM doesn’t work like other fields. Few people are going to be able to sustain a 40 hour week average. I say average because nobody in EM works 40 hours every week.
But the math was correct? Sorry for the stupid questions.

EM keeps coming up on my list of specialties I am considering but everyone on this forum and even some of my mentors in the field have said to stay away from it.

My predicament is that I feel IM is going to deal with some of the same bullcrap going on in EM and there has been less acuity on my IM rotation. I enjoy thinking on my feet and the few cases of actual emergent cases that came into the ER during my 5 years as a scribe.

I guess a main concern I have is the salary tanking due to the scope creep etc.