Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
*Challenge accepted meme*Impressive. My bench PR was 315 back in college, but not at your weight. Looking forward to this epic video.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
*Challenge accepted meme*Impressive. My bench PR was 315 back in college, but not at your weight. Looking forward to this epic video.
Don’t become an anesthesiologist, hospitalist, intensivist, EM doc. Some of these may be doing well right now but the future is uncertain. All of these specialties share midlevel encroachment, predatory staffing groups, lack of control at work, and are viewed as an expense by hospital systems. What to do? Surgical subspecialties or procedural IM subspecialties. If you can’t get into those, do a non-procedural, outpatient focused IM subspecialty.
The love for hospitalist on this board stems from a handful of frequent posters. Maybe because they have great jobs or maybe they are new grads with rose colored glasses. For every 1 good job that someone is happy at, there are 4 bad ones. I know way too many unhappy hospitalists. You’re the absolute bottom of the totem pole in the hospital, some may tolerate the regular disrespect fine, but most don’t.
You’re not making a decision for the next 5 years, your decision is for the next 30+. I don’t have a crystal ball but the future of these 4 specialties looks pretty ****ty.
Someone tell me how good/****ty my pay is
Employer: City hospital
ER setting: Urban/academic
Region: large northeast city
Hourly: base salary / 52 weeks / 32 clinical hours a week = slightly more than $150/hr
OT rate = $190/hr
W2 or 1099: W2
Patients per hour: 1.5-2.2 but almost all seen by resident/PA first, just briefly confirm H+P with patient, review labs, imaging, EKGs, sign notes etc
Annual census: ~150k
CME: 40 paid hours, and $2k a year
Bonus: ~$50k a year
Benefits: good health insurance, all holidays paid, 5-6 weeks paid vacation per year, 10% of base salary free into 401k every year, sick days.
Can get OT rate if you work instead of using your holiday / vacation / CME hours
Don't do EM. You're welcome.But the math was correct? Sorry for the stupid questions.
EM keeps coming up on my list of specialties I am considering but everyone on this forum and even some of my mentors in the field have said to stay away from it.
My predicament is that I feel IM is going to deal with some of the same bullcrap going on in EM and there has been less acuity on my IM rotation. I enjoy thinking on my feet and the few cases of actual emergent cases that came into the ER during my 5 years as a scribe.
I guess a main concern I have is the salary tanking due to the scope creep etc.
Mostly I just do resident and med student evaluations if they submit requests to me.I mean, after you factor in bonus, paid vacation and sick days, the rate approaches 200/hr which I would say is not terrible for academics in a large city.
However, my next question is, how many non clinical hours are required?
Where is your passion for academia!?!?!Mostly I just do resident and med student evaluations if they submit requests to me.
They've otherwise been lax about lectures, going to conferences, procedure labs, research etc. So far it's all "volunteer" and I have done 0
People in academia have ruined medicine...Where is your passion for academia!?!?!
I’d think about what you actually consider the “bullcrap” of each specialty. If you mean medically - like MI rule outs, annoying patients, cyclical revolving door nursing home patients, etc then pretty much all the specialities become medically similar once you’re out. The orthopods, Hospitalist, EM docs, PCPs see a couple interesting things a month, and everything else becomes mundane and repetitive (as it should, because safe patient care is mundane).But the math was correct? Sorry for the stupid questions.
EM keeps coming up on my list of specialties I am considering but everyone on this forum and even some of my mentors in the field have said to stay away from it.
My predicament is that I feel IM is going to deal with some of the same bullcrap going on in EM and there has been less acuity on my IM rotation. I enjoy thinking on my feet and the few cases of actual emergent cases that came into the ER during my 5 years as a scribe.
I guess a main concern I have is the salary tanking due to the scope creep etc.
I think this is a pretty standard job. nothing amazing, nothing terrible. As long as you are happy with the location.New attending here.. What do you guys think of my gig?
Employer: University hospital (There is minimal teaching for me as I am a nocturnist and no EM residents)
ER setting: Semi-rural
Region: 1-2 hrs from DC
Hourly: base salary ~$240/hr (1.0 FTE is 108hrs/month)
OT rate = ~$270/hr
W2 or 1099: W2
Patients per hour: Usually 1-2 pph. Has seen anywhere between 3-30 per night.
Annual census: ~40k
CME: ~$4k/yr
Bonus: Maybe? Not sure
Benefits: Good health insurance options (Only pay like $60 per month), 6% matching + double dipping on retirement accounts as I get paid by 2 separate entities, sovereign immunity.
Cons: Limited specialist back up in person, a lot get transferred out, cannot moonlight outside of the system
This is a remarkable salary.Employer: Hospital
ER setting: Critical Access
Region: PNW
Hourly: $310-340
W2 or 1099 or k1: 1099
Patients per hour: 2.5, 12 hour shift
Annual census: <30K
Cme: 0
Benefits: Malpractice
Does not qualify for PSLF which is a bummer, but seemed like a cool place to get good experience. The pay was the highest I've seen anywhere near here. Group seemed happy. Almost seemed too good to be true, even though it doesn't include benefits. Am I missing something big picture here?
12 hour shifts at 2.5+ pph? Noway dude, lol. Your 240hr/mo ED doc example is on the fast track to burnout or an MI.This is a remarkable salary.
I was told our hospital pays ED docs $275/hr and one of these ED docs work 20+ days/month (12-hr shift) and has been doing it for over 4 years now since he graduated from residency.
2.5pph can be a breeze – if you're just treating ambulatory UTIs based on symptoms, doing chest pain rule-outs, your staff provides a lot of the facetime with patients, and inpatient dispos are smooth.12 hour shifts at 2.5+ pph? Noway dude, lol. Your 240hr/mo ED doc example is on the fast track to burnout or an MI.
I am not sure if it is 2.5+ pph. I remember they say they see an average ~150 ppd. It appears they have 3 docs and 2 midlevels during the day and 2 docs and 1 midlevel at night.12 hour shifts at 2.5+ pph? Noway dude, lol. Your 240hr/mo ED doc example is on the fast track to burnout or an MI.
Yet a terrible job. You shouldn't see 2.5 ED pts per hour other than for brief periods of time and certainly not an average over 12 hours.This is a remarkable salary.
I was told our hospital pays ED docs $275/hr and one of these ED docs work 20+ days/month (12-hr shift) and has been doing it for over 4 years now since he graduated from residency.
Is local PRN at 1.2 PPH for $225/hr a decent gig?
Yeah but this list has almost 800 entries.
800 ER docs or all specialties?Yeah but this list has almost 800 entries.
It says EM salaries800 ER docs or all specialties?
No buy in, but an egalitarian pay system. Entirely keep what you kill minus overhead from day one. No partner structure. Works out well.for those in private groups what was and is currently your buyin? Has it gone up?
Mine was ~$160k over 2.5 years or so. Currently modified/capped.
No buy in, but an egalitarian pay system. Entirely keep what you kill minus overhead from day one. No partner structure. Works out well.
Yeah, I would be entirely on board with a 1 year “pre-partner” period where you get a (REASONABLE) hourly rate without the annual partner profit-share payout. A reasonable period to make sure you fit the group, covers your startup costs (which are real), etc. Yes the partners are skimming a little off the top, but they put the group together and keep it running and you are new.This is the way. I almost laughed out loud when I interviewed with the "democratic group" which has it's required organization partners still collecting off the top.
For 2023 my total comp including benefits ended up being >$475kSomeone tell me how good/****ty my pay is
Employer: City hospital
ER setting: Urban/academic
Region: large northeast city
Hourly: base salary / 52 weeks / 32 clinical hours a week = slightly more than $150/hr
OT rate = $190/hr
W2 or 1099: W2
Patients per hour: 1.5-2.2 but almost all seen by resident/PA first, just briefly confirm H+P with patient, review labs, imaging, EKGs, sign notes etc
Annual census: ~150k
CME: 40 paid hours, and $2k a year
Bonus: ~$50k a year
Benefits: good health insurance, all holidays paid, 5-6 weeks paid vacation per year, 10% of base salary free into 401k every year, sick days.
Can get OT rate if you work instead of using your holiday / vacation / CME hours
Wow, I want to work where you guys work.
I don't get squat.
Remarkable!Was doing a year end review to see how much more taxes to pay.
It’s been a great year. Here’s how it went:
Made 487k at my day job after a retention bonus, a quality bonus, a couple of extra shifts and a profit distribution bonus. + 20k employer contribution to 401k + 5K cme.
Made slightly above 200k on options
Wife made 245k which includes a retention bonus + 10k 401k employer contribution
Made 25k in rental income
Added slightly above 600k to net worth after all expenses etc.
The retention bonus was a one time deal for 3 years of 60k. And I worked about 1850 or so annual hours for that income. So an above average number of hours for an ER doc.
Otherwise on paper I make a humble 200/hr.
The retention bonus was a one time deal for 3 years of 60k. And I worked about 1850 or so annual hours for that income. So an above average number of hours for an ER doc.
Otherwise on paper I make a humble 200/hr.
Remarkable!
What was the net worth at the end of 2022?
I might have to start tracking my net worth at the end of each year as well.
Wish I had the stamina to work that much. I can barely stomach 1400.
You have answered my question.I got my a** handed to me today. But an average day is not bad. Especially nights.
Rural EM is better than normal EM.
I’m down to 1440 as well. Income has effectively come down starting October. I basically just took a 100k paycut.
Edit: 2.7 more years of 10 shifts per month (that’s the remaining duration of the retention bonus). Then coasting at 8 shifts or 9 per month until i just walk away or become PRN only.
You have answered my question.
I was about to ask when will you dial down since you talked burn out somewhere in this forum and your net worth is pretty good IMO?
Do you annually generate 200k from stock options? That’s really good.I edited my net worth response to you since i misread your question.
10 shifts actually feels pretty damn good.
2.7 years should get us to 3M+. Turning 35 soon, compounding should take care of the rest with 30 years of growth, assuming we always make just enough to not touch our portfolio.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.