An Official Word about Prereqs Taken at a CC from an SDN Mentor and ADCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anthony Hartsoc

Gelecular Molometry
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alot of posts today about prereqs taken at the CC level...I've posted stuff about the calls I've made and other research but this is from an SDN Mentor and ADCOM...

for what it's worth

From Madame (in the Mentor Forum):

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmuk
Greetings,

I have heard that many medical schools tend to prefer applicants that graduate from certain universities, if so, which universities are generally preferred?

And what is the truth about how community colleges and community college pre-med students are viewed by med schools?

Thank you.

Some adcom members and some interviewers may have preferences. These preferences tend to be moderated by the group dynamic of a med school adcom so that in the end "medical schools" don't have preferences.

However, you may notice that some schools seem to take many students from a particular school. What you can't know if the denominator; that is: how many applicants apply from that school. Students at some UG schools tend to prefer specific medical schools because of their location, prestige, familiarity, etc and will tend to apply to those schools over others. Some UG schools have very high admission standards and do a good job of weeding out weak students. The students at these schools are almost always academically strong and well prepared. Applicants at those schools tend to have a good chance of admission -- it isn't that the school is preferred but that the applicants at those schools are usually very talented and well prepared.

I have seen very impressive applications from students who started at community college and transferred after 2 years. This is fine, particularly for students with situations that precluded admission to a good undergrad school right out of H.S. What raises an eyebrow is the applicant from a strong undergrad instititution who takes a well known "weed-out" course over the summer at a community college rather than at his undergrad institution. An adcom can differentiate someone who is trying to protect a gpa from someone who has economic or family issues that preclude matriculation at a four year institution.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Alot of posts today about prereqs taken at the CC level...I've posted stuff about the calls I've made and other research but this is from an SDN Mentor and ADCOM...

for what it's worth

Quote:
Greetings,

I have heard that many medical schools tend to prefer applicants that graduate from certain universities, if so, which universities are generally preferred?

And what is the truth about how community colleges and community college pre-med students are viewed by med schools?

Thank you.

Some adcom members and some interviewers may have preferences. These preferences tend to be moderated by the group dynamic of a med school adcom so that in the end "medical schools" don't have preferences.

However, you may notice that some schools seem to take many students from a particular school. What you can't know if the denominator; that is: how many applicants apply from that school. Students at some UG schools tend to prefer specific medical schools because of their location, prestige, familiarity, etc and will tend to apply to those schools over others. Some UG schools have very high admission standards and do a good job of weeding out weak students. The students at these schools are almost always academically strong and well prepared. Applicants at those schools tend to have a good chance of admission -- it isn't that the school is preferred but that the applicants at those schools are usually very talented and well prepared.

I have seen very impressive applications from students who started at community college and transferred after 2 years. This is fine, particularly for students with situations that precluded admission to a good undergrad school right out of H.S. What raises an eyebrow is the applicant from a strong undergrad instititution who takes a well known "weed-out" course over the summer at a community college rather than at his undergrad institution. An adcom can differentiate someone who is trying to protect a gpa from someone who has economic or family issues that preclude matriculation at a four year institution.

I will respectfully disagree with this. This is assuming that every interviewer looks up every "weed out" course at every undergrad. They are different courses at every school. Are you just defining weed-out as a pre-req?

Also how can you say that someone who took everything at a CC for the first 2 years (including weed out courses) is better off than someone who just took a couple weed-out courses at CC? It isn't directly stated but that is what your last paragraph implies to me.

I am not taking anything you have said as personal. I applied years ago. Myself and numerous friends of mine all took "weed-out" courses at lesser universities. None of these friends or myself included ever had a problem getting into a medical school. I am talking at least 10 people off the top of my head who took the same course at a CC with me. 100% of these classmates were accepted during their first application cycle.

Whether an ad com member has agreed with your comments or not, the fact is that there isn't time in the day for admissions to red flag applicants on certain CC classes. I have worked closely with an admissions department and these Deans already don't get paid enough for their long hours.

for what it's worth

Quote:
Greetings,

Thank you.

Sorry, nice try, but this does nothing to clear up the rampant SDN paranoia about CC classes.

Far more people attend a CC for financial reasons than for gaming the system, avoiding "weed out" classes at a 4 year college, etc.

Non-trads who are already out of school with full time jobs often find that the combination of lower tuition and evening classes make taking the pre-reqs at a CC preferable, too.

And adcoms know all of this. I am sure there are some med schools that frown upon classes, particularly pre reqs, being taken at a CC, especially when it appears that it was done to game the system. But most applicants who have gone through the CC system have done so for financial and/or scheduling reasons, and I do not believe they are broadly penalized for this, assuming that they make excellent grades, for having gone the CC route.

Members don't see this ad :)
considering that community colleges rarely offer courses beyond the sophomore level, i find it interesting that anyone having difficulty in a so-called freshman/sophomore "weed out" class would consider medical school as a viable academic option...

No surprise there. Don't take your core-science classes as some podunk college. As a person who could teach at those schools (MS in Cell & Molecular Bio), there's no way that I could offer the same level of education, to my students, and I received at my large University (University of Georgia).

considering that community colleges rarely offer courses beyond the sophomore level, i find it interesting that anyone having difficulty in a so-called freshman/sophomore "weed out" class would consider medical school as a viable academic option...

Often it isn't the "difficulty" of the subject matter, but that certain profs are stingy with their grades. Why try to compete for 1 of 6 A's in a class of 100 when you can easily pick one up at the local CC?

Weirdly enough, I've learned in medical school that the smartest medical students often don't come from the top undergrads. Students in my class are scoring >95%ile on Step 1 from schools you've never heard of.

I'd argue that some CC's are more well-known than their undergrads.

But what do you guys think of taking 1 pre-req class online?
I'm done w college, n my situations a bit complicated so I cant take the class at a CC....how do adcoms view this? Its a stupid calc. class that I didnt take in college... and the one school that I want to go has to hav this stupid requirement.
Scheiss.

couple points to add here:

There are some great CC professors and bad professors, just like any other school, but the fact is that many med school adcoms still look down on CCs.

Where have you seen this?

My undergrad had at least 20 seniors get into a US MD school my year. All of us had CC work. A few are at Top Research Schools including Baylor, Mayo, UTSW, etc. On top of that a majority of students in my medical school class have CC work.

I would argue that a majority of all applicants have at least 1 CC course.

Madame's eyebrow raiser was when a student at a university takes a "weed-out" course over the summer at the CC level when he or she is obviously student at a Univ.

Like Texas already stated, defining weed-out is subjective and there are many variables going into that alone. In addition, there are many very good reasons for taking these courses at a CC. For myself and other non-trads this route is pretty much standard operating procedure. They'll (ADCOMs) be able to tell if I learned anything useful come MCAT time or when I am taking my upper-div chem classes for my major.

I'm not worried about taking these at a CC whatsoever and I think it is a discredit to SDN when people spread an anti-CC hysteria; especially when those words are coming from teenagers and those slightly older. Spreading assumptions around as truth adversely effects the reliability of SDN; not something anyone wants. It's cool to give an opinion, but state that is just that and nothing more. Or even better, do research and give an informed opinion.

Some students may go home for their summer break to visit with family and will want to take one of their classes at a local community college. Other excuse may be they might not be able to afford a university summer course. And i've really never heard of a community college offering upper level science courses that would be considered "weed-out" courses. Mostly they only offer Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2, and Phys 1&2. But this is just my opinion.

And i've really never heard of a community college offering upper level science courses that would be considered "weed-out" courses. Mostly they only offer Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2, and Phys 1&2. But this is just my opinion.

I think these generally are the weed-out courses at most undergrads. They want to get people without a natural talent or good work ethic out of the major (or there's so many students that they have to implement a curve, or whatever motivation they might have). Once you get to the upper levels they want you to succeed; the upper-levels tend to be easier to get good grades on providing you know the prereq material and put in enough study time.

Well a lot of transfer undergrad students do their 1st two yrs at a CC, and to transfer to a sci program, they must complete many of the premed prereq's to get into a university bio program- Should these people be penalized/looked down upon?

Hey guys, sorry to bump this thread, but I am really confused about the advice I am receiving. I am a nontraditional student who is replacing some failed grades from ten years ago. I currently attend a California community college. I have completed my gen bio, gen chem, and calculus series. However, this year, I will be completing my organic chem and physics at the community college. This means I wont have any pre-reqs left for when I transfer to a UC. The problem is that every UC college requires my pre-reqs to be completed at community college prior to transfer as per assist.org. Will california medical schools take this into account?