2009-2010 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

(1200 characters each)

1. What are your planned activities over the next year before matriculation

2. Which experience you listed on AMCAS had the most impact on your desire to become a doctor.

3. Why FIU?

4. How do you fit the mission statement of diversity of FIU?

5. What is something normally not known about you?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the stats for 2009?

do they accept fee waiver (fap) for their secondary application?

does anyone know from last year?

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey Red, I'm pretty sure ALL schools will accept the waiver. You could always give them a buzz tho! I just got my secondary, literally, 20 seconds ago!

Good news, I just went through the secondary and on the 3rd or 4th page they have a questions asking if you need the FAP fee waiver! So you're good to go!

I just got my fiu secondary this afternoon too. I hope we get some florida love!!!

Dudes - LORs on OFFICIAL STATIONARY??? I think one of mine is on that and the rest are probably just plainly written.

"Committee letters and individual letters must be written on official letterhead stationery and may be submitted in one of the following ways:"

I don't think that it will be a problem. Are you using AMCAS for your letters? Those are done digitally, so the letterhead isn't going to happen. But hard copy letters just need to be official. I wouldn't worry too much...

Hey Red, I'm pretty sure ALL schools will accept the waiver. You could always give them a buzz tho! I just got my secondary, literally, 20 seconds ago!
Not all, but most.

Dudes - LORs on OFFICIAL STATIONARY??? I think one of mine is on that and the rest are probably just plainly written.

"Committee letters and individual letters must be written on official letterhead stationery and may be submitted in one of the following ways:"
This is pretty standard. If your reccommenders are professors they probably wrote it on University letterhead.

FIU does, in fact, accept the FAP. Got this 2ndary today.

Not all, but most.

This is pretty standard. If your reccommenders are professors they probably wrote it on University letterhead.

I know one did but I asked the rest and they did not - just plain PDFs. Some of them aren't on campus over the summer and are writing that stuff from home. Seriously - anyone could write a letter with a school letterhead... just seems like a stupid technicality! It's not a security seal! I'm going to call them tomorrow with a page of questions too.

The more I hear about this school, the more interesting it sounds.

What does the secondary look like? Is it long?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info on fee waiver, folks.

there are 4 essay prompts -- can someone post the questions? thanks in advance

The prompts are pretty standard actually; most of the other schools use similar ones.

2. Which experience you listed on AMCAS had the most impact on your desire to become a doctor.

3. WHy FIU?

The prompts are pretty standard actually; most of the other schools use similar ones.

3. WHy FIU?

What are the character limits to each of these?

Hey, they are 1200 CHARACTERS...so that includes spaces

...sorry...and I should say that the WHY FIU and Diversity ESSAY are together...so there is only 4

I interviewed there last year. I liked the school and thought they were planning stuff out pretty well. I know people that interviewed early and got a completely different view of it than me. Don't over think the prompts. You'd be the second class. They are still trying to figure out their identity as much as you are. They do have solid rotations and nice faculty (at least the ones that I met).

I am working on the part where you enter the pre-req information and next to each class they have the status tab with three options: currently enrolled, anticipated, AP/IB credit. For courses that have been completed normally, obviously none of these three options apply, but it won't let me move forward until I select a status :confused:

Submitted everything Thursday July 2nd... let's see how long before I hear a "come" or a "f-off"

I am working on the part where you enter the pre-req information and next to each class they have the status tab with three options: currently enrolled, anticipated, AP/IB credit. For courses that have been completed normally, obviously none of these three options apply, but it won't let me move forward until I select a status :confused:

Having the same problem. Anyone know what to do?

I'm not at home can you give me the link to the secondary? I'll see what I put under mine... pretty sure nothing.

I am still having this problem too... If anyone could let us know how you got past this section and completed it please share

I figured it out. Just click on the "Look Up" option on the left side and select the course from the list that comes up. If your AMCAS has been verified, it should say something like: "AMCAS verified transcript". Do this for all of your already completed courses and you should be able to move forward.

Thanks man, I was entering them manually. That worked perfectly.

just checked my status
"OSA Review Completed"

what does this mean?!?!?

It's bad... I called up and they said anyone whose application says that isn't getting an interview. ;)

I am hoping that the winking smiley face means that you are joking....a rejection this early would be sad.

Does anyone know what the "OSA Review Completed" status means?

I feel like it might have to do something with OOS, but your guess is as good as mine

but I want to know too!

It says the same thing for me and I'm in-state

If you have a FAP on AMCAS then your secondary application fee will also be waived

If you have already done the courses then they should show up on your AMCAs transcript - pretty cool the way you can just pick from your transcript and you don't have to remember which exact course meets req or when you took them - it think its neat!

Hey I called and OSA completed means that the Office of Student Affairs has completed the initial review on you app - then next step is being invited for an interview - I have a friend who applied last year and said they never heard anything -- I think this year they are on top of their game and at least we know what's happening real time -

Hey I called and OSA completed means that the Office of Student Affairs has completed the initial review on you app - then next step is being invited for an interview - I have a friend who applied last year and said they never heard anything -- I think this year they are on top of their game and at least we know what's happening real time -
so if OSA Review Completed is your status, does that mean much of nothing except more waiting or does it at least mean that you were moved into a smaller pool of applicants from which they will select for interviews??

so if OSA Review Completed is your status, does that mean much of nothing except more waiting or does it at least mean that you were moved into a smaller pool of applicants from which they will select for interviews??

The review is complete man... they're going to review everyone. I doubt we've moved into a smaller pool of applicants. I think they're going to build the pool of applicants up a bit then start their first round of interview invitations. Good luck - I'm really really hoping I stay in state! Post if you get a call!

The review is complete man... they're going to review everyone. I doubt we've moved into a smaller pool of applicants. I think they're going to build the pool of applicants up a bit then start their first round of interview invitations. Good luck - I'm really really hoping I stay in state! Post if you get a call!
Good luck to you too! This waiting process has just made me uber neurotic.... I want to know NOW!!! :D

Good luck to you too! This waiting process has just made me uber neurotic.... I want to know NOW!!! :D

Same here. I didn't send my letters to FIU yet and I'm complete though. Wonder what thats about.

Same here. I didn't send my letters to FIU yet and I'm complete though. Wonder what thats about.

Don't need letters for a review of your secondary. By the way - I called up and got the preliminary stats for the ACCEPTANCES... 3.7 and 31 for 2009's charter class. However, they said that that has changed because of rolling admissions. I'm sure it's gone down a very slight bit due to people coming off the waitlists etc.

After how long did you guys get the "OSA review completed" status? right after submitting the secondary or later?

Don't need letters for a review of your secondary. By the way - I called up and got the preliminary stats for the ACCEPTANCES... 3.7 and 31 for 2009's charter class. However, they said that that has changed because of rolling admissions. I'm sure it's gone down a very slight bit due to people coming off the waitlists etc.
why would it change because of rolling admission?

I understand that it would go down a bit bc people coming off waitlist may have slightly lower stats than those regularly accepted.... is that what they mean?

why would it change because of rolling admission?

I understand that it would go down a bit bc people coming off waitlist may have slightly lower stats than those regularly accepted.... is that what they mean?

Yea, I think that's what they meant.

Yay I am soo excited, Interview Invite today!! I would love to go here!!

Yay I am soo excited, Interview Invite today!! I would love to go here!!

yay! Congrats! Would you mind sharing when you were complete? My 'OSA review' has been complete since 7/7

Congrats! Hopefully the rest of us will start hearing also

yay! Congrats! Would you mind sharing when you were complete? My 'OSA review' has been complete since 7/7

Thanks!! I was complete 7/7 with the same "OSA Review" status. Got an email invite today :D

Status
Not open for further replies.