2009-2010 UMDNJ-NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

1) If you are not attending college/university full-time as of September 2009, please describe your activities for July 2009 to June 2010. (3000 character limit)

For out-of-state residents there are extra questions:

2) If your legal residence on your AMCAS application is not New Jersey, you will be considered an out of state resident. If this is the case, please answer the following questions:

2a. Please describe the specific and/or unique reasons you have applied to NJMS
(1000 character limit)

2b. Please discuss any significant connections to New Jersey (i.e. family, close friends, previous residence, etc.) (1000 character limit)

LOR Reqs

No specification

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
they have auto invites for in state people at > certain stat

Members don't see this ad :)
Got mine today too. I'm glad that this UMDNJ is electronic!

AMCAS states that UMDNJ-NJMS is participating in its service.

However, the NJMS website's FAQs state:

Do I send letters of recommendation to AMCAS or directly to NJMS?
Letters of recommendation should be sent directly to NJMS at:
New Jersey Medical School
Office of Admissions, Room C-653
185 South Orange Avenue
PO Box 1709
Newark, NJ 07101-1709
All recommendations must be received no later than January 2, 2009 for the entering class of 2009.

http://njms.umdnj.edu/education/admissions/faqs.cfm

You can call the admissions office to confirm, but I believe we weren't required to send the letters to the school in the previous application cycle.

did anyone get a complete e-mail? i did not get one and i was wondering whether i should call them to make sure they got everything...

did anyone get a complete e-mail? i did not get one and i was wondering whether i should call them to make sure they got everything...

i submitted the NJMS secondary a week before RWJ and i already received a complete email from RWJ about 2 weeks ago. im still waiting on NJMS.

yeah, I've also only received a complete email from RWJ, not NJMS

RWJ sent me an email for being complete. I called NJMS and asked what was going on with my application hopeing everything went through and they told me i was complete. I guess they don't send e-mails or if they do it is extremely late.

Members don't see this ad :)
First invite today! Now I have to figure out when to schedule.

I got nothing, but I did email them/call them and was able to get an answer regarding completion. I don't remember the number, but I'm guessing I got it off the website.

WOO interview invite as well... when you taking yours? Completed here 7/22 No email i had to call.

I'm not sure yet. I'm at work so I can't call yet. I think I'm gonna go earlier, preferably in August or early September so I get practice for the harder schools.

Well the first day available is august 17th... i had work so i took the 20th at 10 am. Pretty soon

woo hoo interview invite here! i hope one from RWJMS is also coming soon

my interview is set for tuesday the 18th at 10AM

Last edited:
For those of you who interviewed/will be interviewing/know the Newark area and are driving to the interview, how is parking? I tried looking up places to park and the hospital has a garage, but I was wondering if there were cheaper (maybe even free...) places around the hospital area. I may call the office at some point just to ask but I just wanted to check if anyone else had an answer.

well after you set up the interview, they will mail you a parking permit so that you can park in one of the lots for free. you'll want to park in the lot right outside of the medical sciences building.

yah, despite what everyone is saying, the parking is definitly available for free in lot 1. Interview was very conversational and easy going also.

well after you set up the interview, they will mail you a parking permit so that you can park in one of the lots for free. you'll want to park in the lot right outside of the medical sciences building.

yah, despite what everyone is saying, the parking is definitly available for free in lot 1. Interview was very conversational and easy going also.

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

Since I've done this a couple of times and interviews are starting, I'll give my perspective on NJMS interview day. First, NJMS does not bore you with financial aid or logistics stuff yet like most schools; it is just an interview and an optional tour. The school itself is easy to get to by the turnpike, the parkway, or route 1. I usually take 1 up (I live in Northwestern Middlesex county about a half hour south of the school), and I've never had a problem with parking. And don't worry about the area; as long as your interview isn't at midnight you shouldn't have a problem. Obviously I can't comment on people traveling further.

Once you get to the school, follow the directions to the admissions office. After checking in, you will wait in a side room and may watch a short video until the interviewer is ready. Then, either the interviewer or a student will take you to the interviewer's office. The interviewer is a faculty member of NJMS, but not actually on the ADCOM. The interview itself is pretty standard, and the interviewer has a form to fill out that they give to the ADCOM. The tour is conducted by students who will take you to the lecture halls, the library, the student lounge, the anatomy lab, University Hospital ED, etc and answer any questions. The standard tour. Overall, a pretty short day that's not too stressful.

If you guys don't mind sharing, for those that received interviews thus far, are you guys instate or OOS?

Thanks

Theacks1 has it down exactly step by step what happens. I am In state and i believe all other 5 kids were in state also. They are trying to fill the class as early as possible so get those secondaries in!

i am instate and, to my knowledge, so was everyone else on the day that i interviewed.

the undergraduate schools represented were very diverse... uchicago, university of virginia, swarthmore, rutgers, and columbia just to name some.

i will say my interview was not as easy-going as what others have told me to expect. it was overall a very friendly atmosphere, but my interviewer asked some pretty tough questions. she asked me to describe the US health care system and even asked me to compare it to another country's. the health care discussion we had was over 30 minutes long. the rest of the interview focused on my research (she even asked me to draw PCR for her) and my personal statement. honestly, there were few "standard" questions. i was never even asked why i was interested in NJMS specifically. we also ran out of time so i did not have an opportunity to ask her any questions.

i was definitely in the minority though. most of the interviewers were more easy-going and asked more standard interview questions.

i guess it depends on who you get!

good luck everyone.

Wow... completely different them my interview. I will share my experience because it seemed to be the norm between all the other interviewees i was with. When i walked in, the interviewer told me that he has to fill out this paper for me and it was standard. He wanted to get it out of the way in the beginning so we can talk about the school and me in general. He asked why medicine and jotted some things down. He then asked about my clinical exp. and my volunteer work. He then asked about healthcare but it was not in depth in all. I think all they wanted was me to acknowledge there isa problem and there is no perfect solution but i attempted to give my opinion anyway. THen some other standard questions. Then he went on and on about the curic. and what makes the school great. I agreed and asked a few questions, shook hands and went on my tour. Very stress free and a pretty good day. Good luck everyone else

I would email them first and jsut say you havnt received secondary yet and you are afraid it was thrown out by one of your email filters. THey will prob send you one after that. good luck

I would email them first and jsut say you havnt received secondary yet and you are afraid it was thrown out by one of your email filters. THey will prob send you one after that. good luck

I called them today, and they said the invite was sent out on the 13th! eek! Well I submitted it within an hour of the phone call, so no big deal I guess?

is anyone applying to the EDP? if so, have you heard anything yet?

in the question on the secondary that states "Have you participated in any Educational/Pipeline Programs at NJMS?" do you think i should mention that i took the first year medical course MGM as part of my master's program, or is that not the info they want/completely unnecessary? sorry if this is a stupid question, i'm trying to form as much of a bond with njms as possible hah

I had an interview last week and they told me that decisions would be made no earlier than 10/15 for those interviewed. So good luck to everyone!

Just got my interview invite today (9/4). I submitted secondaries back on 7/12; but my letters of rec just hit amcas (through virtualevals) on 9/1. So they were probably waiting for that to send me the invite (I'm instate).

woot! :) First medschool interview invite - love the NJ <3.

BTW: I did NOT get a complete email from NJMS. I did get a complete email from RWJ though (as soon as they got my letters).

Just got my interview invite today (9/4). I submitted secondaries back on 7/12; but my letters of rec just hit amcas (through virtualevals) on 9/1. So they were probably waiting for that to send me the invite (I'm instate).

woot! :) First medschool interview invite - love the NJ <3.

BTW: I did NOT get a complete email from NJMS. I did get a complete email from RWJ though (as soon as they got my letters).

i got my invite yesterday too!!! so excited, more instate love. i sent my secondary 7/23ish and they had all my letters, so idk wat took em so long but yayy

sucks they sent the email at 3:15 and the office closes at 3, so ima call first thing monday :D

i got my invite yesterday too!!! so excited, more instate love. i sent my secondary 7/23ish and they had all my letters, so idk wat took em so long but yayy

sucks they sent the email at 3:15 and the office closes at 3, so ima call first thing monday :D

I just got my interview on 9/4 too! i'm instate but I applied kinda late (8/21).
I was thinking on calling on monday as well, but since it labor day weekend I'm not sure if they will be open. But it's worth a try.

Good luck!

I just got my interview on 9/4 too! i'm instate but I applied kinda late (8/21).
I was thinking on calling on monday as well, but since it labor day weekend I'm not sure if they will be open. But it's worth a try.

Good luck!

yea def call them asap. i called this morning, and they still have openings for this week. interviewing 9/11 at 1pm. good luck :xf:!!

does this school interview OOS? it seems like everyone who recd an interview is IS so far

I retract my previous post

Last edited:
I'm a MS1 at NJMS. If any of you have questions (except regarding your application) and don't want to direct them to an official rep from the school, feel free to PM me.

Regarding in state vs. out of state, NJMS does interview out of state, but the weighting heavily favors in state, which is reflected by the fact that the class is only comprised of around 5% OOS (even though OOS students are eligible for IS tuition after a year of NJ residency)

Anyone get a second interview request?

does njms send secondaries to everyone? how long after your primary app was sent to amcas did you guys get invited for a secondary app?

Status
Not open for further replies.