2009-2010 University of Texas - Southwestern (UTSW) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Misspelling alert:p

Reported, so a mod can fix it so it shows up correctly on the main page.

Members don't see this ad :)
These guys take 0 OOS people, right?

Nope, of the public medical schools in Texas, they take the highest amount:D PM me or ask me any questions you have about UTSW, since I am an OOSer matriculating this august!:D

Hi I have a question about the secondary..... it says to list your activities that support your interest, but I also want to explain what I did. However, I'm afraid that it's going to be repetitive from the primary TMDSAS, so should I just leave the explanation out and list only.
For example: I was gonna put -Summer Research at MD Anderson. Do I need to explain more?

Thanks

Hi I have a question about the secondary..... it says to list your activities that support your interest, but I also want to explain what I did. However, I'm afraid that it's going to be repetitive from the primary TMDSAS, so should I just leave the explanation out and list only.
For example: I was gonna put -Summer Research at MD Anderson. Do I need to explain more?

Thanks

You're doing research at MD Anderson!? Perhaps we are in the same group and don't even know it! Are you doing it through GSBS?

Who did you work with? If you don't mind me asking.

What do you guys think it would take for an OOS to get in at UTSW? It is based more on high stats, a strong tie to Texas, or a combination of both?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone including short descripts in the secondary for your interests? It seems like it doesn't really have much context to just list XYZ Research w/o a short sentence or something.

Hey guys do you understand what does it mean? "describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine."

I have no ideas what does this statement mean. Plz help me :D:D:D

Hey guys do you understand what does it mean? "describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine."

I have no ideas what does this statement mean. Plz help me :D:D:D

oh come on. you of all ppl should know this. with your stats, this question shouldn't be a problem. Even I understand it and my grades aren't that high.

so anybody receive any emails from UTSW?

how do we access the secondary?! i keep getting brought to the site for the entering class of 2009 =(

help plz??

Is anyone including short descripts in the secondary for your interests? It seems like it doesn't really have much context to just list XYZ Research w/o a short sentence or something.

so is the consensus to just list these without much of an explanation??

i hate how UTSW secondary has a timer when if you don't save before time run out, you will get locked out. it's annoying. I need to submit this one soon.

i hate how UTSW secondary has a timer when if you don't save before time run out, you will get locked out. it's annoying. I need to submit this one soon.
And that 15 min is far from being enough!

Does anyone know how we should list future courses on the secondary? Just don't put a grade in? Because for organic chemistry, I haven't taken the lab and will do so next quarter...

Last edited:
so is the consensus to just list these without much of an explanation??

I listed and gave a brief description of each. If they want more information about it (time frame, etc), they will consult the primary application. I think it's just so that they can match up specific activities of yours with whichever interests you checked. I didn't list all of my activities, either. Just a few of them that I thought was relevant to the option I had checked.

I just found this on the website and thought everyone might like to see it!

The interview day begins at 9:00 a.m. and ends at approximately 3:00 p.m.

Tentative interview dates for the 2010 entering class are:

August 22
August 29
September 5
September 12
September 19
October 10
October 17
October 24

November 7
November 14
November 21
December 5
December 12
January 9
January 16

http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept20676/files/397484.html#application

Hey guys, good luck on this interview and application season! I'm matriculating in August. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the application, interviews or impressions about the school since it's still fresh for me. I'm OOS, so if there are any OOSers looking for info either.

Complete on 7/7/09. Now the wait begins...

Hey guys, good luck on this interview and application season! I'm matriculating in August. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the application, interviews or impressions about the school since it's still fresh for me. I'm OOS, so if there are any OOSers looking for info either.

thanks. will def. need your help in the future.

Complete on 7/7/09. Now the wait begins...

jealous! :p

Did you guys receive an email when your application was complete or just the confirmation that your secondary had been submitted?

Did you guys receive an email when your application was complete or just the confirmation that your secondary had been submitted?

Just email from UTSW that the secondary was received and email from TMDSAS saying that my primary had been submitted to each school on my list. Nothing else from UTSW indicating that they're actually reviewing my file, or anything like that. :thumbup:

Have they started sending interview requests?

Last year they didn't start sending out invites until early August (the 8th for me) but that may have been because their secondary website was broken until July 24th. It may be sooner this year, at least a week sooner I would guess since interviews start on the Aug 22.

Last year they didn't start sending out invites until early August (the 8th for me) but that may have been because their secondary website was broken until July 24th. It may be sooner this year, at least a week sooner I would guess since interviews start on the Aug 22.

Thank you it's nice to have some idea of what to expect!

uh...I called and this lady said they haven't received our TMDSAS yet so they couldn't tell us if we are compelte or not after we submit our secondary. It's weird how they haven't even got our primary yet. :(

does anyone know if accepted students have the opportunity to do paid research the summer prior to beginning MS1?

i just checked out their website & it looks like the tentative interview dates have changed... the first one is now Sept 12? I wonder why they pushed the dates back...

i just checked out their website & it looks like the tentative interview dates have changed... the first one is now Sept 12? I wonder why they pushed the dates back...

apparantly they didn't receive TMDSAS apps until mid July.

apparantly they didn't receive TMDSAS apps until mid July.

Stinks for everyone who submitted completed apps in early June, but hurray for those of us who submitted early July... and who just now got LORS!

I just received an email from UTSW saying my application is complete and that their review process has begun. Finally! I was verified June 4.

I just received an email from UTSW saying my application is complete and that their review process has begun. Finally! I was verified June 4.

Wow! Were you waiting on LORS or does it just take them that long to review?

Does anyone else know how long it took them to begin the review process?

I think they are just now getting started, not that it took them that long to review it as complete. I could be wrong, but I don't think people got emails saying they were complete any earlier. My LORs have been in since June 30.

I just got this e-mail as well.

I think they are just now getting started, not that it took them that long to review it as complete. I could be wrong, but I don't think people got emails saying they were complete any earlier. My LORs have been in since June 30.

Sweet Thanks! I just got the email saying that TMDSAS notified them of my primary... so I'm setting up my account in the student portal to track my application... I thought my nerves would settle once my LORS were in, but it seems they've actually gotten worse somehow.... :oops:

Got it this AM as well. I submitted the secondary sometime during the first week of July.

I just got that email as well and I was verified around the same time. I figure they thought "We are UTSW, we can make our own timeline"

Status
Not open for further replies.