2009-2010 University of Texas - Southwestern (UTSW) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ditto...got the email today as well.

what is the link to check our status? I greatly appreciate it if someone could post it.

Members don't see this ad.

what is the link to check our status? I greatly appreciate it if someone could post it.

I'm not sure that there is one. There is a password protected page for people invited to interview...but I don't see anything for run of the mill applicants.

I'm not sure that there is one. There is a password protected page for people invited to interview...but I don't see anything for run of the mill applicants.

I don't see one either, I know that UNT has one... perhaps that is what he/she was thinking of?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone shed light on this:

I read (on SDN) that UTSW grants automatic interviews to students who have a LizzyM score greater than 72.

True? BS?

from my understanding, LizzyM scores are not known except for on SDN. so i dont see how this could be used to judge the chances at an interview. are you saying UTSW uses the same method as LizzyM? i highly doubt it...

from my understanding, LizzyM scores are not known except for on SDN. so i dont see how this could be used to judge the chances at an interview. are you saying UTSW uses the same method as LizzyM? i highly doubt it...

Well I'm sure they don't call it a LizzyM score, but it's an easy methodology to sort out applicants. I'm not saying I have any proof, however, just seeing if anyone has any evidence to deny or prove what I've read here.

Would someone be kind enough to copy/paste the UTSW secondary app questions here? I am freaking out b/c I JUST submitted my TMDSAS. Whoa, can't believe it took me this long. I can't access the TX secondaries until the sucker is processed, so it would be a big help if someone might help me get a leg up by listing the essay/short answer quesitons here. Ah! I'm freaking out...

Would someone be kind enough to copy/paste the UTSW secondary app questions here? I am freaking out b/c I JUST submitted my TMDSAS. Whoa, can't believe it took me this long. I can't access the TX secondaries until the sucker is processed, so it would be a big help if someone might help me get a leg up by listing the essay/short answer quesitons here. Ah! I'm freaking out...
Anyone think I have a shot here or Galveston with a 30 mcat/3.7 gpa (excluding fr. year)/ton of research experience, papers, etc. ....?

Anyone think I have a shot here or Galveston with a 30 mcat/3.7 gpa (excluding fr. year)/ton of research experience, papers, etc. ....?

From the first page of the thread... hope that helps. You should be able to access the secondaries without your TDMSAS processed.

From the first page of the thread... hope that helps. You should be able to access the secondaries without your TDMSAS processed.

I can't log in. It won't let me create a new account, loops me back to the 2009 page (someone had this problem, see above)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't log in. It won't let me create a new account, loops me back to the 2009 page (someone had this problem, see above)

Sorry, not sure about the technical problem. It worked for me about a month ago. In any event, the only "essay" question on the secondary was this:

In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine.

Could anyone shed light on this:

I read (on SDN) that UTSW grants automatic interviews to students who have a LizzyM score greater than 72.

True? BS?
I guess it's a BS. I get LizzyM score of 80 and no interview for me so far.

I guess it's a BS. I get LizzyM score of 80 and no interview for me so far.

As far as I can tell, UTSW hasn't sent invites to anybody yet.

Square Garden, your GPA is your GPA. Unfortunately, nobody can ignore freshman year (I know I'd like to ignore mine)! You could post your actual stats in the "What are My Chances?" forum if you'd like more opinions.

Just got an interview offer for 9/12.

interview invite 9/12 as well -- congrats to all who got them and good luck to everyone else expecting them

So I have the interview invitation email, but the link they provided me to confirm the interview date doesn't seem to work yet. It says it's not available at this time and to check back later. Is that the same for you guys as well?

So I have the interview invitation email, but the link they provided me to confirm the interview date doesn't seem to work yet. It says it's not available at this time and to check back later. Is that the same for you guys as well?

yeah the link doesn't seem to be working. i think i may just wait and see until monday?

Just received one for the 19th.

I got the 12th! The site isn't working for me either.

Wow, it looks like the whole world got interview invites today. My buddy and I both got invited for Oct 3rd. We are both OOS, so we will see how that goes.

I'll be there the 19th! I'm so excited.

I'm relatively sure I met you in Galveston today - big coincidence if not. But I'll see you in Dallas on the 19th!

Interview for the 12th as well - excited to meet some of you!

Yeah, I have also received their invitation.

Maybe we should write our sdn name on our nametag during interview day :p

got an interview 10/3, any other people in Houston have that date?

yay for OOS love...all of us OOSers interviewing on 10/3? - by the way, I was wondering if this was an auto interview invite like we broke some magical mark. I don't think it was since I think my MCAT would warrant an auto interview at a 33. But my GPA is above a 3.9. I guess it doesn't matter, I was just wondering.

Last edited:

I have been having the same problem.

I'm OOS and interviewing on October 3 too

yay for OOS love...all of us OOSers interviewing on 10/3? - by the way, I was wondering if this was an auto interview invite like we broke some magical mark. I don't think it was since I think my MCAT would warrant an auto interview at a 33. But my GPA is above a 3.9. I guess it doesn't matter, I was just wondering.

Don't think so...my MCAT is higher than yours, in-state, no invite for me. But my GPA is lower than yours. So, I don't think anything is 'automatic' stats-wise at this point. Good luck at your interview. The medical center is physically impressive!

Congratulations to all of you with interviews! My heart sank reading all of this... sheesh... I haven't heard from any of the Texas schools. I had everything but my LORS in my mid July... My LORS were in by July 28th...

When was everyone complete? Has anyone received a rejection yet?

I submitted mine 08/01 and haven't heard anything yet. :scared:
Do you get invites for secondary or is it open?

Well I'm sure they don't call it a LizzyM score, but it's an easy methodology to sort out applicants. I'm not saying I have any proof, however, just seeing if anyone has any evidence to deny or prove what I've read here.

What are LizzyM scores?

What are LizzyM scores?

The LizzyM score is an entity that exists on SDN. There was a SDN member named LizzyM who several years ago, said she had worked on an admissions committee and they used a score to determine who would be good candidates and who wouldn't be.

Your Lizzy score: your gpa(10)+ MCAT.
A school's LizzyM score (M for medical ;) ) avg gpa(10) + MCAT - 1.

there is a cumulative list or spreadsheet of schools LizzyM scores floating around on SDN, otherwise you can look up the ave. GPA and MCAT for each school from the schools website.

The idea is that it is supposed to be a good tool to tell you if you should apply or not... Once you've already applied and been offered interviews I don't think it helps you out any, because it doesn't account for the subjective aspects of the admissions process like essays, and interviews. Furthermore, there is no proof apart from LizzyM's original statement, that any medical school has ever used this formula.

This message sounds a little more skeptical then I meant it to be, but I think it's important to acknowledge that each school probably has its own process or at least its own unique aspects in the process... and that there is some variability, obviously people with below average GPA's and MCATS get in to medical school...

You got a LizzyM score of 72, which happens to be that magical #.

A link to the secondary is on the TMDSAS page. You have to submit that before you will hear anything from them. Your application is not complete until you submit the secondary.

A link to the secondary is on the TMDSAS page. You have to submit that before you will hear anything from them. Your application is not complete until you submit the secondary.

Thanks!

Congratulations to all of you with interviews! My heart sank reading all of this... sheesh... I haven't heard from any of the Texas schools. I had everything but my LORS in my mid July... My LORS were in by July 28th...

When was everyone complete? Has anyone received a rejection yet?

I actually got an interview at UTH before my Letter was in...

Open, Make sure the TMDSAS is submitted prior to submitting the secondary.

As far as the list specific experiences (academic, co-curricular, employment, personal, etc.) related to and supportive of this interest how far can you go on this.

As for "Interested in a career in teaching". I would not mind doing that late in my career as a physician. Would teaching new hires and members of two different EMS organizations count as experience for this, or are they looking more for shadowing type experience? Also, how far away can you get? Does tutoring elementary children count, or informal tutoring/ helping other undergraduate friends and colleagues count?

As far as the list specific experiences (academic, co-curricular, employment, personal, etc.) related to and supportive of this interest how far can you go on this.

As for "Interested in a career in teaching". I would not mind doing that late in my career as a physician. Would teaching new hires and members of two different EMS organizations count as experience for this, or are they looking more for shadowing type experience? Also, how far away can you get? Does tutoring elementary children count, or informal tutoring/ helping other undergraduate friends and colleagues count?

Sure - why not? As long as the tutoring is in some sort of structured setting (i.e. not tutoring your friends, but definitely tutoring children or undergrads in a formal setting), I think it indicates an interest in encouraging the learning of others. Clearly, you can't teach medicine at this point, but the fact that you are interested in propelling others forward in this capacity is compelling evidence. Write it down!

Can someone PM me the secondary essay prompts so I can update it on the first post? Thanks

72 is the magical number? Oh I didn't know that. Is that based on past experience with UTSW or just what is being circulated around SDN?

My Lizzy score is under a 72, and I received an interview invitation soon after verification. :)

Congratulations!

I wouldn't expect UTSW, of all places, to rely solely on grades to determine who gets interviews, considering one of the previous classes I heard about. Glad to see I was correct in my assumption!

Congratulations!

I wouldn't expect UTSW, of all places, to rely solely on grades to determine who gets interviews, considering one of the previous classes I heard about. Glad to see I was correct in my assumption!

I've heard that they automatically offer interviews to people with a GPA and MCAT above a certain threshold. That's not to say that they don't interview anybody below that threshold, just that if your stats are above a certain point you will get an interview regardless of the rest of your app. It also doesn't mean that you will necessarily get an acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.