2009-2010 University of Texas - Southwestern (UTSW) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a certain day of the week they send out interview offers?

Members don't see this ad.

i think so far only one wave of invites have gone out and that was on a Friday evening.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh, didn't actually mean to post anything. Ignore this!

Last edited:
i think so far only one wave of invites have gone out and that was on a Friday evening.

Wow, thanks for the heads up, I've been telling myself it was unlikely that I'd get anything on Friday afternoons, but now I know to keep my chin up until the weekend...

Is anyone else starting to feel disappointed they haven't heard back yet?

Hey, I am late to this application. I did not know about Texas schools going through TMDSAS. Anyways, I had a few questions.

1) When can you access Southwesterns secondary, I have submitted the TMDSAS, but my fee by check is still in the mail.

2) are the prompts the same as last year.
"In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine. (This text box will scroll and allow for numerous lines. However, please limit your answer to 500 words or less if possible.)"

Wow, thanks for the heads up, I've been telling myself it was unlikely that I'd get anything on Friday afternoons, but now I know to keep my chin up until the weekend...

Is anyone else starting to feel disappointed they haven't heard back yet?
I hear ya, I'm anxious about UTSW and UT-Houston, I like both places and their locations. It is still early though, it just feels late since we were complete in July, I guess.

I hear ya, I'm anxious about UTSW and UT-Houston, I like both places and their locations. It is still early though, it just feels late since we were complete in July, I guess.

Yeah, and I think it feels late because I've already heard back from so many of my AACOMAS schools.... but I'm patiently waiting for Texas....

I have a question for those interviewing -- has anyone tried to schedule staying with a med student? I sent the email but haven't heard back yet. Just curious!

yeah i emailed also but have yet to hear a response

Where did y'all find the option to stay with a student? Is it on that page they gave us? Or did you e-mail the admissions people?

Members don't see this ad :)
im OOS and got an interview. looks like ill be spending legit 4 days (thursday-sunday) travelling to dallas and back. anyone know if i can get a student host for those days? or should i start looking for hotels? curious to hear from OOSers

will be interviewing on sept 19

does anyone know if the friday afternoon stuff is mandatory?

im OOS and got an interview. looks like ill be spending legit 4 days (thursday-sunday) travelling to dallas and back. anyone know if i can get a student host for those days? or should i start looking for hotels? curious to hear from OOSers

I think in their email they said they only offer one night - Friday night - with a student host. I'm getting there Thurs night staying at a motel 6, and then staying with a student host before flying back to Cali on Saturday night. So ya, I would start looking for hotels and maybe booking some - you can cancel most of them 24 hours in advance w/o penalty anyways. Motels in that area are really cheap by the way ~ 35/night.

Can somebody PM me the UTSW secondary prompt? If there was no prompt, PM me and let me know? I'd like to update the first post and link it to the secondary application thread. Thanks!

I have a question for those interviewing -- has anyone tried to schedule staying with a med student? I sent the email but haven't heard back yet. Just curious!

They need to find the students first. They sent us all an email yesterday asking whether we could hosts the students for the interview dates, which are
September 12, 19, 26, October 3, 10, 17, 31, November 7, 14, 21, December 5, 12, January 9, 16. My roommate does not allow overnight guests, otherwise I would host students... especially SDNers... I like SDN:D

Oh and the friday sessions are not mandatory, but you get to meet your awesome interviewees and also UT Southwestern feeds you really well.:D I would recommend going, since they give you more information about the school and I was able to use this information to help impress my interviewer. Oh yeah and for all the people interviewing, brush up a little on bioethics cuz many of the interviewers like to ask about it.

The weather in Dallas is generally (my version) of awesome. Although I interviewed when the hurricane hit, so it wasn't as nice... But yeah, it will be hot, so take precautions.

The area around UTSW can get sketchy depending on where you are, so check before you book a "cheap" hotel. Last year, the Radisson which is about 3-4 miles from campus had a great deal for $57 bucks a night for one of the nicest hotel stays I have had. (I also spent a night on UES Manhattan for $240:hungover:) Call then and check if they have the same rate.

If you guys have any other questions feel free to PM me, or post on here... I really do not get to check this often as they give us a lot of work, but my classmates are awesome, and I am LOVING it.

I :biglove: UTSW!

Hi guys, I'm an OOSer here. My TDMSAS app was verified 8/6. Should I fill out UTSW's secondary before I'm asked to? Or should I wait until I get the secondary request from UTSW?

thanks

Hi guys, I'm an OOSer here. My TDMSAS app was verified 8/6. Should I fill out UTSW's secondary before I'm asked to? Or should I wait until I get the secondary request from UTSW?

thanks

I didn't wait. I just went ahead and filled it out after my TMDSAS was verified.

For the essay prompt:
describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career.

Are they asking physical setting such as "a community with diverse culture," or simply a career track like "private clinic"?
:confused:
Gah I feel behind..

I have a question : is the friday "day before interview" thing compulsory? I got invite from Baylor on Friday, so I wonder if I can just go to UTSW's saturday interview and not staying there the day before in Dallas. Thanks as Im now wanting to schedule the interview.

I have a question : is the friday "day before interview" thing compulsory? I got invite from Baylor on Friday, so I wonder if I can just go to UTSW's saturday interview and not staying there the day before in Dallas. Thanks as Im now wanting to schedule the interview.

It is optional

It is optional
How important is that "friday thing"? Will it put me in great disadv. when I am asked by the interviewers what do i like about UTSW or why I fit this school if i dont attend that friday thing? Or can I find the same stuff in their school website?

How important is that "friday thing"? Will it put me in great disadv. when I am asked by the interviewers what do i like about UTSW or why I fit this school if i dont attend that friday thing? Or can I find the same stuff in their school website?

You can kind of find it at the website. The friday thing is just to put you at ease for the interview, because it definitely took a lot of the stress out knowing that I knew what to expect. In the morning on Saturday they are going to review the stuff, albeit in less detail, but don't worry about missing it.

For the essay prompt:
describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career.

Are they asking physical setting such as "a community with diverse culture," or simply a career track like "private clinic"?
:confused:
Gah I feel behind..

It is open-ended, so take it wherever you like. I think they expect a variety of responses, so just answer however you see fit.

i got an interview invitation today for october 17th! im sooo happy! :D

omg... just got an invitation for the MSTP program! OOS.... first interview of the cycle! and... i was seriously just thinking how hopeless my applications seemed to be two minutes before i checked my email...

although... i thought it was interesting because i got my "under full review" email from the MSTP office earlier today, and i sent an email back saying that i still have two letters from my research mentors that i wanted to add. got a reply back saying they would keep an eye out for them. and then a second email an hour ago saying that i have an interview...

are there any other MSTP applicants here? does anybody know the stats for the MSTP interview screen & acceptances?

I also just got an interview for MSTP! also the first interview invite of the season. Also very excited. Not sure what the stats are for the screen and acceptances-- i'd also be curious to know!

Yay! This will be my first time visiting Texas... so excited!

Hey ya'll, another UTSW MS-1 here. My classmates and I are all looking forward to meeting this year's interviewees. We're only a couple weeks in, but the general consensus is that we love it. The faculty are awesome (we were lectured to by a nobel laureate on our first day), and there is a strong sense of collegiality within and between the classes. We had well over half the class and a number of MS-2's at a house party the first weekend after school started.

Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear back, and congrats to those who have already gotten good news!

Something fun to do while down there is to check out the old senior films at the library. You should definitely see "Jurassic Parkland." Funny as heeeell ;)

Good luck y'all who have your interviews this saturday. I might be popping in during the luncheon. :thumbup:

Oh and it is a rather low-stress interview. Just don't say anything stupid and you should be fine:D

Interview invite for 10/17!! Will be attending the Friday night event as well...with my better half in tow.

Is there a link to check the status of the app/secondary/LORs?

You should be able to stay a 2nd night with the student if ask the ppl u email bc in the past they asked us which nights we were available on the form. They only ask the M1s and 2s though.

How should we dress for the Friday event?

Just interviewed this past Saturday. Absolutely loved the school!

Both interviews were extremely laid back and I didn't get ask anything about controversial issues or politics or anything else out of the ordinary. And the BBQ sandwich lunch was delicious! :D

PM me if you have any questions. :)

Just got my MSTP interview invite, all set for November 13th! Ditto on the stats for the screen, this is my first interview invite as well (though I didn't get my primary verified til last friday :oops:). I was really impressed with the quick turnaround on the review... they sent me an Email Friday saying they had received my application, and then this afternoon I got the invite. Hope all my other schools are that fast!

I just received this email:

Your application to the medical school entering class of 2010 was received from
the Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service. Thank you for your
interest in UT Southwestern Medical School.

The application review process has begun. It is difficult to anticipate when
you might hear from us regarding the status of your application. If you are
selected for an interview, we will contact you via email at the same email address
to which this message was sent. Any changes to your email address should be
forwarded to TMDSAS and UT Southwestern as soon as possible.

You should periodically check the TMDSAS website for information regarding the
completion status of your application (such as receipt of transcripts, letters
of recommendation, MCAT score, etc.).

The weird thing is that I haven't completed the secondary so I'm wondering if there is a glitch? Or do they just mean they've gotten my TMDSAS application and are beginning to review that? :confused:

For those of you who interviewed here last Saturday, go to https://sws004.swmed.edu/medapp/index.asp and log in. Click on application profile/status. Look at "UT Southwestern Application Status." Mine changed from "Interviewed" to "Interviewed - Alternate List." So it looks like you can find out now what their admissions committee decided. Anyone have "Interviewed - Accepted" or "Interviewed - Rejected"?

hey codswallop, i just check my status and it had no change, it just reads "interviewed" still. how long ago did it change for you?

hey codswallop, i just check my status and it had no change, it just reads "interviewed" still. how long ago did it change for you?

It just changed this morning. Did you get an email from Wes Norred thanking you for your interview visit? I checked my status after receiving that email, thinking that they were just now evaluating last week's interviewers, and sure enough the status had changed. They're probably going through all of them now, so check your status over the next few hours and it will probably change.

Status
Not open for further replies.