2009-2010 University of Texas - Southwestern (UTSW) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im curious to know how many OOS students are on the waitlist and how many OOS acceptances had been given out at this time of the cycle in the last 5 years... if the OOS waitlist is moving at the same pace this year as it had in previous years, then that would probably mean there will be considerable OOS WL movement after june 15. this would suck for those such as myself that hold another tx acceptance but would rather go to UTSW, since our apps will no longer be considered after june 15.

Very risky move there. You sure you're going to give up an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Very risky move there. You sure you're going to give up an acceptance?

i don't see anything about him saying he's gonna give up an acceptance. he was merely referring to the rather unfortunately circumstance of being forcefully removed from the waitlist on june 15th even though quite a bit of movement occurs post june 15th...

a sentiment that i share because i am also going to be removed from their waitlist come june 15th despite my continued interest :(

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't see anything about him saying he's gonna give up an acceptance. he was merely referring to the rather unfortunately circumstance of being forcefully removed from the waitlist on june 15th even though quite a bit of movement occurs post june 15th...

a sentiment that i share because i am also going to be removed from their waitlist come june 15th despite my continued interest :(

He edited his post.

I'm an OOS UTSW student and from what I know OOS admissions are pretty unpredictable. Typically about 40 ppl total will eventually be offered slots, but I have a hard time believing that if only 5 waitlist acceptances have been offered up til now that 15-20 or so more will be by the middle of August. That would mean that most accepted OOSers would scrap UTSW to go somewhere else. I think that there is typically more wl movement OOS late april thru mid-may as ppl hear back from non-Texas schools. As tuition skyrockets everywhere and the economy is generally bad I think the lure of UTSW- (waay cheaper than most schools and an uber bargain considering similarly ranked institutions many of us considered) may simply mean less wl movement.

BUT OOSers usually are strong applicants with other acceptances and waitlist offers; there is trickle down effect as movement occurs at AMCAS schools and you just never know. Just hold on and don't go insane; it's completely out of your hands now.

do u know how many OOS students got accepted off the waitlist after june 15??

no, i imagine it varies quite a bit from year to year. I was thinking about this though and I think maybe there ARE a good number of offers after june 15 because if someone gives up a seat after that date it is probably harder to fill the later it gets ....like if someone drops in august they may have to make 5 offers to get one person to come. Most OOSers have accepted other offers, made plans, etc the later it gets. This also may explain the 2:1 offer of admissions: matriculation ratio

Also, just from talking to ppl it does seem that there has been quite a bit of OOS movement after June 15 in the past. Obviously this is all useless speculation though and I imagine the actual numbers are impossible to get (unless Anne just tells you...maybe you could ask?)

thanks for the info! your reason for increased OOS WL movement after june 15 makes perfect sense, and i wish the texas schools didnt apply that stupid june 15 rule to OOS students =/

Last edited:
did everyone else who was on the waitlist at utsw and currently have another tx acceptance get a "Status Change from UT Southwestern" email today?

"You were placed on the alternate list for a seat in the entering class of 2010.
Unfortunately, it is now apparent that UT Southwestern will not be able to grant
you admission. Each year there are more qualified applicants than available
places, and this year has been no exception.

Thank you for your interest in UT Southwestern and for coming to interview with
us. It was a pleasure hosting you on campus. Please accept our congratulations
on your acceptance to medical school, our best wishes as you begin your medical
studies, and all success for your future in medicine."

yup i did.. kinda relieved to finally know for sure where i'm going.

I didn't get that email today or yesterday, even though I've been on the waitlist for awhile now. I haven't heard from them since the 06/09 update (despite me contacting their office for more information multiple times). I really want to know what's going on bc the other tx school I've been accepted to just sent an email with a deferment option for the next year allowing those who accept it to receive offers from another school. I guess I'm just worried, I'd be the happiest person on earth if I got into UTSW.

Is anyone else in the same boat as I am? Do you think that many of the schools have the same problem of offering more acceptances than seats?

Congrats to all of you who have gotten in!

did everyone else who was on the waitlist at utsw and currently have another tx acceptance get a "Status Change from UT Southwestern" email today?

"You were placed on the alternate list for a seat in the entering class of 2010.
Unfortunately, it is now apparent that UT Southwestern will not be able to grant
you admission. Each year there are more qualified applicants than available
places, and this year has been no exception.

Thank you for your interest in UT Southwestern and for coming to interview with
us. It was a pleasure hosting you on campus. Please accept our congratulations
on your acceptance to medical school, our best wishes as you begin your medical
studies, and all success for your future in medicine."

Any suggestions on how to tackle the two secondary essays?

Status
Not open for further replies.