2009-2010 Southern Illinois University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT (from LAST year, usually don't change):

Essay question #1: Why should we admit you as a student to Southern Illinois University School of Medicine?

Essay question #2: Describe the qualities you possess that are necessary to become a good physician.

Essay question #3: Describe experiences of yours which you feel are relevant to the study of medicine, self-directed learning, and the small group tutorial process used in the problem-based learning curriculum.

Essay question #4: If you have previously applied to SIU School of Medicine, please describe how you feel you have strengthened your credentials since that application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wish I could but i probably no longer have IL residency since going to school in cali...they should let me apply there anyways since i lived right in southern IL!!!!! I was even married there exceptions should be made!! lol:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
ahhh that sucks. I am not sure if they would take that or not. You can always email the director. If you want his email search the schools website (or just PM me).

yep i got that email. i didn't know they screened applicants, but the email said only 1/3 get secondaries... is that true?

yep i got that email. i didn't know they screened applicants, but the email said only 1/3 get secondaries... is that true?
Yeah, it's true. But that stat is a bit inflated, many people not from IL still apply every year and get rejected then. Plus people below their 7/7/6 cut off get cut now. And then the preference is given to downstate applicants, etc.

ok thanks so much! im in-state (although from the NW suburbs so not exactly "down state") and well above those #'s so hopefully i'll be good

no i'm from the dictionary definition of a suburb hahaha

i still havnt emailed them to see if i can apply...guess its probably getting too late now :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little disappointed in downstate Illinois, where is everyone?

I'm a little disappointed in downstate Illinois, where is everyone?
Its not like southern IL has a lot of people or something....im no expert on IL but when i compared southern IL to cali its not even close population density wise...towns of 5k people shocked me:scared:. Cant imagine a lot of people from those areas apply ot med school.

this is true but they still get 1000's of applicants so I would expect more than 2 or 3 to be on here. I have friends on SDN that have not found this thread yet and are applying to SIU.

SIU baby! I'm from Champaign-Urbana (central IL). Anyone else using SIU as backup school basically?

SIU is my first choice. I took the MCAT yesterday (thinking I'll probably have to re-take in late August). At least the school doesn't have rolling admissions. I'm from the suburbs too but I go to college in a rural area and sent them an e-mail about my intentions to pursue rural medicine in central Illinois (where I go to college). I also have LORs stating this as well and all my shadowing was done in rural areas. I hope this helps me...

This is straight from their admissions page:

"SIUMED requests applicants to submit letters of recommendation at the time they are invited to submit a supplementary application. At that point applicants have two options:
  1. Submit one pre-health professions committee letter or other composite letter of recommendation.
  2. Submit four individual letters. This option requires three letters written by academic sources (i.e. professor or research advisor) and one personal or professional letter. All supplementary materials, the application and letters of recommendation, must be received by the Admissions Office by February 1, 2010.
*** Letters from political sources are not recommended*** "

Think a personal letter would look bad, even though it's an option?

My letters are:
1 bio/research
1 chem
1 physics
1 MD
1 employer (for something VERY similar to what PBL groups are)

I think the last 2 technically count as "personal" so if you have either of those, I would do that.

I just got my secondary from there today! Woo hoo.
I'm from C-U too! who are you, Count Chocula?

I actually live just outside Mahomet, went to high school in Monticello. My name is Morgan Barnell. Are you from Central or Centennial, red10?

I actually live just outside Mahomet, went to high school in Monticello. My name is Morgan Barnell. Are you from Central or Centennial, red10?

Damn I was wondering if we might have gone to high school together and someone I didn;t know was premed lol. I went to Centennial

southern illinois right here! rest assured the south is represented :)

Yeah, it's true. But that stat is a bit inflated, many people not from IL still apply every year and get rejected then. Plus people below their 7/7/6 cut off get cut now. And then the preference is given to downstate applicants, etc.

Will they screen me out based on my 26O (10 6 O 10) from last year or will they wait until they get my new MCAT score?

Does downstate include mattoon area?..Where exactly does the downstate start?

Also how is SIU compared to all other med schools in IL?.. Is it in the middle or all the way in bottom?

Will they screen me out based on my 26O (10 6 O 10) from last year or will they wait until they get my new MCAT score?

Does downstate include mattoon area?..Where exactly does the downstate start?

South of I-80 (aka south of chicago)

If you told them you have an MCAT coming they won't screen you until they get the new score

Are any of you planning to send a photo? If so are you sending a little 2x2 passport photo or not.
I feel weird sending passport photos to schools because technically you aren't allowed to smile in passport photos and i don't wanna look mean or anything. :shifty:

Also how is SIU compared to all other med schools in IL?.. Is it in the middle or all the way in bottom?

SIU is right in the middle of Illinois, but much lower than the rest of them...Does that help? Although, I guess the first year's about right at the bottom.

SIU is right in the middle of Illinois, but much lower than the rest of them...Does that help? Although, I guess the first year's about right at the bottom.

Ya that helps. Few more questions though...

Whats the word limit on the prompts listed all the way on the top? And also how is SIU in terms of grants and scholarships?.. Does it receive fair amount of funding compared to other med schools in IL?

I was verified the around the 10th of July...I still haven't received a secondary...13 12 8 mcat, 3.48 math scie 3.55 overall and I live in decatur....wtf...

how long until after you receive the email about them getting ur primary did u get the secondary

Ya that helps. Few more questions though...

Whats the word limit on the prompts listed all the way on the top? And also how is SIU in terms of grants and scholarships?.. Does it receive fair amount of funding compared to other med schools in IL?
No word limit.
Don't know about the scholarships, comparable to others schools I'd say.
They are, I believe, fully state funded. They are constantly building new buildings in Springfield. SIU is huge in downstate.

just got it

so 1/3 of the 1100 or so get the app...

which means about a little over 350 of us left

and they accept about 150....and enroll 72....kind of motivated now that I actually have a chance higher than 5% lol

I have to wait until mid-August to get my MCAT back, but I can't wait! I think SIU is a great school for what I like. It is definitely in my top 4.

Did you guys get any sort of confirmation that they had received your payment or signature form? I didn't see a status check on the website but maybe I missed it.

SIU emailed me on 6/25 stating they had received my primary, and I still haven't gotten a secondary yet over a month later, anyone else waiting this long? 3.33 cGPA, 32 MCAT, live south of I-80, did I get screened? man, this is frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.