2025-2026 Southern Illinois (SIU)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2025-2026 SIU Secondary Essay Prompts:

1) SIU School of Medicine uses a holistic approach to identify students who best fulfill its mission: to assist the people of central and southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, patient care, research and service to the community. In what ways do you believe you would contribute to SIU’s mission and what barriers have you overcome in your life’s circumstances to reach this point in applying to medical school? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

2) Tell us about your lived experiences that will make you a better physician? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

3) To be successful as a student at SIU School of Medicine and as a practicing physician, you must be flexible and committed to cultivating and employing critical interactive and learning skills. Describe your experiences that demonstrate: contribution in a teamwork setting; engagement in self-directed and life-long learning (taking personal initiative to identify and address your learning goals and needs); and exposure to the small group tutorial process used in a problem-based learning environment. Please limit your answer to 500 words or less.

4 )If you have previously applied to SIU School of Medicine, please describe how you feel you have strengthened your credentials since that application. Please limit your answer to 300 words or less.


Good luck to all applying!

Interview Feedback:
 
Last edited:
@wysdoc

1) SIU School of Medicine uses a holistic approach to identify students who best fulfill its mission: to assist the people of central and southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, patient care, research and service to the community. In what ways do you believe you would contribute to SIU’s mission and what barriers have you overcome in your life’s circumstances to reach this point in applying to medical school? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

2) Tell us about your lived experiences that will make you a better physician? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

3)To be successful as a student at SIU School of Medicine and as a practicing physician, you must be flexible and committed to cultivating and employing critical interactive and learning skills. Describe your experiences that demonstrate: contribution in a teamwork setting; engagement in self-directed and life-long learning (taking personal initiative to identify and address your learning goals and needs); and exposure to the small group tutorial process used in a problem-based learning environment. Please limit your answer to 500 words or less.

4)If you have previously applied to SIU School of Medicine, please describe how you feel you have strengthened your credentials since that application. Please limit your answer to 300 words or less.

+1 IN secondary
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read on the SIU Website that they prefer downstate students and underserved communities. How much of that is true? I currently live in the suburbs of Chicago.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone who scheduled an interview receive a confirmation email? Cause i havent. Should I wait a bit or should I email admissions?
 
Did anyone who scheduled an interview receive a confirmation email? Cause i havent. Should I wait a bit or should I email admissions?
Good morning, I didn’t receive a confirmation email either. I submitted my preferred dates on Monday 8/25. Did you ever receive the email or get in touch with admissions?
 
It took nearly 3 weeks. The slowest part was the USPS for me. The file isn’t complete until the check is received and it took USPS two weeks to deliver my check. Beth emailed a few days later with my actual invite.
 
Once you submitted your secondary, how long did it take for you guys to hear back from the admissions office?
Yep! I actually thought my check got lost in the mail, so i overnight shipped a new one. They emailed me like a couple of weeks later saying that they received my first check...RIP.
 
Yep! I actually thought my check got lost in the mail, so i overnight shipped a new one. They emailed me like a couple of weeks later saying that they received my first check...RIP.
Yeah that’s what I’m concerned about. I wish they did the online paying system. I did ship with priority so I’ve been checking the status, it’s supposed to get delivered tomorrow, so fingers crossed I hear back soon!!
 
Anyone get confirmation interview yet? I put all my dates in September so kinda worried that I haven't heard back yet...
i had to email to find out my date! i still don’t have the itinerary, but hopefully those will be sent out soon, i know this is a super busy time for admissions
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone get confirmation interview yet? I put all my dates in September so kinda worried that I haven't heard back yet...
I did get a confirmation email! Admissions are really busy when I inquired! But if you worried, i'd inquire. I wish we got at least a confirmation email that tentative dates were received.